Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

The best thing we gun owners could do is publish new and heinous ways for spree killers to maximize their efficiency without using firearms. Maybe create a blog or something where we talk about how passe guns have become for domestic terrorism, and [x] is the new hotness. It would take the focus off of guns and put it back on fertilizer or ricin or binary explosives or whatever.

Ideally, we could find a way to turn tabletop miniatures into weapons of mass destruction and create a schism in the public safety voting crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

SedanChair posted:

See, this is how fetishizing the danger of guns above other kinds of danger leads to unsafe forms of thinking. Because you attribute mystical killing power to the gun, you apparently believe that it's easy to stop hanging yourself halfway through.

Well, I guess that depends on if you characterize "halfway" as before you've kicked the chair away, or after.
Hanging is a four-step process. Tie a noose, get on a stool, put on the noose, and kick the chair away. You can reconsider at any point before the last one.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

I've heard, probably in a stupid movie but it could just as easily have been from a pathologist, that almost everyone that hangs themselves has nail wounds on their neck. Because no matter how dire the situation, the moment your lizard brainstem realizes that your dying you are going to do everything to survive.

There are people who hang themselves on their knees or in sitting/leaning positions where they could just stand up or lean back and they would have lived. Most commonly, in prison. Some people really do ride it out all the way until the end.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Shooting yourself with a gun is a 5 step process.

1. Buy a gun
2. Buy ammo
3. Load the gun
4. Point the gun at yourself
5. Shoot

You can reconsider at any point before the last one.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SedanChair posted:

Nah, this is the part where they always pivot to "that's why repeal the amendment and ban all guns." It doesn't matter what the topic of discussion is at the time, citing the law itself causes the brains of reactionary fauxgressives to immediately reset.

What is "not progressive" about the desire to implement modern successful policy being stronger than the desire to not alter the ancient edicts of infallible patriarchs

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

What this means is that in the 18-20 year old group there doubt wether the gun law was effective because the the gun laws also resulted in lower suicides with other means than suicide. Which is hard to explain.

To original hypothesis you challenged however did not concern the 18-20 year old (adults) but the 14-17 year-olds.

If the gun laws resulted in lower suicide rates with other means according to their analysis, that would suggest their analysis is incomplete or faulty.

This study seems like cherry picked data analysis to me, although seeing a peer review may change my mind. It's not exactly hard to get bad science published.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

natetimm posted:

In Australia, before the gun ban went into effect, shooting and hanging were both just about equally as popular a way to kill yourself. Gun suicides did decrease dramatically after the ban. Don't worry, though, because hangings took their place pretty much equally. As a matter of fact, even though guns were pretty much removed from the equation, the suicide rate continued to increase. The idea that the lethality of guns makes them a better method for killing yourself isn't really proven by science. Also, there's no evidence to show an actual decline in suicides after the ban in Australia, either. Basically, the entire argument you're putting forth is bullshit.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12882416

That study is only for one particular gender and age group. It also started way less common in Australia. Currently, their gun suicide rate is roughly .6 per 100k compared to the overall suicide rate of about 10-11 per 100k. In America, the gun suicide rate is about 6.7 per 100k, compared to an overall rate of about 13 per 100k.

The study I found which is referenced as a pretty good one that studied rates overall (http://andrewleigh.org/pdf/GunBuyback_Panel.pdf) had this to say:

quote:

Because there are so many more non-firearm suicides (and
homicides) than firearm deaths, we cannot reject the possibility that there
was 100% method substitution—i.e. that any reduction in firearm deaths
was accompanied by an increase in deaths by other methods. This is
unfortunate from a statistical perspective but is the inevitable result of
the fortunate fact that Australia already had relatively few firearm deaths
relative to non-firearm deaths. However our panel specification—in
Section 4.1.2—suggests that the time path of non-firearms deaths makes
it improbable that 100% method substitution occurred.

Basically, there's not a big enough sample size to be able to tell if total substitution occurred because they're lucky enough to not have so many gun suicides.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Hanging is a four-step process. Tie a noose, get on a stool, put on the noose, and kick the chair away. You can reconsider at any point before the last one.

Pick up the gun. Load the gun. Put the gun against your eye or under your chin (if you want to succeed and not be a vegetable). Pull the trigger. You can reconsider at any point before the last one.

Edit: I got the poo poo beaten out of me on that one. This thread moves fast.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Rahu posted:

Agree completely with this, the bill of rights contains the right to keep and bear arms which is a good idea.

See, you're making the mistake I explained in the second sentence. Because the 2nd amendment is placed with a bunch of good ideas and packaged into something with a sweet name like "the bill of rights", you have mistakenly interpreted this to mean that the 2nd amendment is a good idea itself.

natetimm posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_gun_use

The vast majority of the time, simply brandishing the weapon is enough to protect the gun owner. Whether you're quoting 500k or 3 million, defensive gun use is a legitimate and common enough usage of guns to argue for their ownership. It enables the weak to protect themselves from those stronger than them in desperate situations. If you're expecting the US cops to fill that role, I've got some bad news for you...

Protect them from what though? Would the person be killed in all those scenarios? Would they need that protection if guns weren't so prevalent in the first place?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

stealie72 posted:

I too have lost family members to suicide. And people sure as poo poo fake suicide attempts. They're cries for attention and they need to be addressed, but lots of people make motions toward suicide with no intent of completion.

that doesn't make them fake attempts you fuckin trucknuts

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Snowman Crossing posted:

Ideally, we could find a way to turn tabletop miniatures into weapons of mass destruction and create a schism in the public safety voting crew.
Ban heavy bolters before this happens again!

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

How is that a rebuttal precisely?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

natetimm posted:

It's almost like they broke up the type of gun suicides to make them seem more scary.

actually i think they broke up the type of suicide because type of suicide is an important factor, given different success rates, and that gun suicides are notably prolific

i agree with you though that there is nothing to fear in the high number of firearm suicides in america. quite the opposite, actually

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 15, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

stealie72 posted:

Pick up the gun. Load the gun. Put the gun against your eye or under your chin (if you want to succeed and not be a vegetable). Pull the trigger. You can reconsider at any point before the last one.
See, when you lay it out like that, it sounds the same. But the process to hanging yourself takes several minutes if you don't have a noose tied already. With a gun, especially if the gun is already loaded, it's a matter of seconds.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

that doesn't make them fake attempts you fuckin trucknuts

OK, so what would you call an attempt that has no hope or intention of success? Ersatz suicide? Suicide-adjacent? What's the correct term these days? I'd hate to offend.

JT Jag posted:

See, when you lay it out like that, it sounds the same. But the process to hanging yourself takes several minutes if you don't have a noose tied already. With a gun, especially if the gun is already loaded, it's a matter of seconds.
And if your gun is properly locked up and unloaded, with the ammo stored someplace else, which is the proper way to do it, shooting yourself takes several minutes too. But I'll give you that more people probably have a loaded gun on hand than have a tied noose. Though I bet those numbers close a bit among people with suicidal ideation.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 15, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

JT Jag posted:

Yes, a conversation on gun rights and gun control in the US is pointless if the position of half the people in the thread is "idgaf what you're saying, it's in the constitution"

Also when the position of the other half is 'gently caress the law, my feelings are more important'.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

stealie72 posted:

OK, so what would you call an attempt that has no hope or intention of success? Ersatz suicide? Suicide-adjacent? What's the correct term these days? I'd hate to offend.
A failed suicide attempt.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Bryter posted:

See, you're making the mistake I explained in the second sentence. Because the 2nd amendment is placed with a bunch of good ideas and packaged into something with a sweet name like "the bill of rights", you have mistakenly interpreted this to mean that the 2nd amendment is a good idea itself.

Protect them from what though? Would the person be killed in all those scenarios? Would they need that protection if guns weren't so prevalent in the first place?

Most people protecting themselves aren't doing it from gun-toting criminals. If someone already has a gun pointed at you, trying to reach for yours is a good way to be dead. The US is a violent country independent of guns. Burglaries, home invasions, assaults, rapes, etc. Handguns allow people like women, the disabled, fat useless nerds, and the elderly to protect themselves from those that would victimize them. It's the democratization of force. You at least know you have a chance, instead of having to resign yourself to whatever is going to happen and hope they don't strangle you with your own lamp cord.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Liquid Communism posted:

Also when the position of the other half is 'gently caress the law, my feelings are more important'.

it's pretty important to our civil liberties to not worry unduly about people's emotional states when considering firearm suicide

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

natetimm posted:

Most people protecting themselves aren't doing it from gun-toting criminals. If someone already has a gun pointed at you, trying to reach for yours is a good way to be dead. The US is a violent country independent of guns. Burglaries, home invasions, assaults, rapes, etc. Handguns allow people like women, the disabled, fat useless nerds, and the elderly to protect themselves from those that would victimize them. It's the democratization of force. You at least know you have a chance, instead of having to resign yourself to whatever is going to happen and hope they don't strangle you with your own lamp cord.

i agree with you here, firearms are one of america's most popular ways to avoid consigning themselves to fate and taking their destiny in their own hands

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

What is "not progressive" about the desire to implement modern successful policy being stronger than the desire to not alter the ancient edicts of infallible patriarchs

Oh nothing, it's entirely possible to formulate humane and progressive anti-gun views. But few on the nominal American "left" manage to do so, which is unsurprising since gun control was created first as racism, then as a wedge issue to help NPR listeners feel superior to people who have to drive more than twenty minutes to buy groceries.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it's pretty important to our civil liberties to not worry unduly about people's emotional states when considering firearm suicide

i agree with you here, firearms are one of america's most popular ways to avoid consigning themselves to fate and taking their destiny in their own hands

See, you're learning. This thread has some purpose.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

btw, just wanna say god bless you, you are doing a service in this thread

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

btw, just wanna say god bless you, you are doing a service in this thread

i'm just one man, the real heros are out there, their ranks swelling by tens of thousands year on year

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

natetimm posted:

More people use guns to commit crimes than they do to protect themselves from crimes. Claims to the contrary are totally unsubstantiated gun lobby propaganda.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Tezzor posted:

More people use guns to commit crimes than they do to protect themselves from crimes. Claims to the contrary are totally unsubstantiated gun lobby propaganda.

Citation needed.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

stealie72 posted:

It also backfires sometimes. I had a friend in the medical field explain that a lot of dumb people overdose on Tylenol or generic acetaminophen thinking that it will make them sick and be seen as a cry for help, but isn't like a "real" drug that can kill them. But it actually gets toxic as gently caress in large doses and they end up either dead or on the liver transplant waiting list.

*edit* mostly women. He said men have a substantially higher success rate with suicide... Possibly because more of them own guns?

Snowman Crossing fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 15, 2015

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

bidikyoopi posted:

If the gun laws resulted in lower suicide rates with other means according to their analysis, that would suggest their analysis is incomplete or faulty.

This study seems like cherry picked data analysis to me, although seeing a peer review may change my mind. It's not exactly hard to get bad science published.

No... they say that the implementation of the gun storage laws correlated with lower non-fire arm suicide as-well in the 18-20 year old age range group and that this means that they question the reliability of this outcome in this age group. This was expressly not found in the onder discussion 14-17 year old group so your quote has no bearing on the 14-17 year olds.

Moreover, the JAMA is a peer reviewd journal. Its the third highest ranked journal for medicine overall with an Impact factor of 35. If this is not enough peer review for you than you have a unworkable definition of peer-review and should stay away from comparable gossip rags such as Nature, Science etc.

IAMNOTADOCTOR fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 15, 2015

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Tezzor posted:

Speaking of unsubstantiated claims...

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Snowman Crossing posted:

It also backfires sometimes. I had a friend in the medical field explain that a lot of dumb people overdose on Tylenol or generic acetaminophen thinking that it will make them sick and be seen as a cry for help, but isn't like a "real" drug that can kill them. But it actually gets toxic as gently caress in large doses and they end up either dead or on the liver transplant waiting list.

You know, it's really too bad we don't have some kind of system that would help people who are depressed or suicidal, instead of focusing so heavily on taking the means of suicide away.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Gun Control: Racist?

You'd be surprised what some posters think!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

stealie72 posted:

You know, it's really too bad we don't have some kind of system that would help people who are depressed or suicidal, instead of focusing so heavily on taking the means of suicide away.

unfortunately, the democrats are so preoccupied with hypocritical gun grabbing that they're too busy to do useful things such as expanding access to healthcare

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

natetimm posted:

Most people protecting themselves aren't doing it from gun-toting criminals. If someone already has a gun pointed at you, trying to reach for yours is a good way to be dead. The US is a violent country independent of guns. Burglaries, home invasions, assaults, rapes, etc.

Protecting your property isn't the same as protecting yourself, though, and most rapes aren't committed in circumstances where a gun would help. And in all these situations, there's the risk of the gun ending up in the offender's hands. I don't think this is a clear cut as you're making it out to be.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

stealie72 posted:

a suicide attempt that wasn't successful

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SedanChair posted:

Oh nothing, it's entirely possible to formulate humane and progressive anti-gun views. But few on the nominal American "left" manage to do so, which is unsurprising since gun control was created first as racism, then as a wedge issue to help NPR listeners feel superior to people who have to drive more than twenty minutes to buy groceries.

It's funny to read gun fanboys, who as a reminder again are a part of the most systemically barkingly racist hobby subculture short of like the KKK or posting on white nationalist internet forums, try to discredit their opposition as racist because some old gun control laws were racist, as though that were in any way unique or meaningful. What American institution or social idea was not initially created or used by racists to enforce racial oppression, especially when deliberately interpreted as doing so by a cretin trying to smash things into a narrative?

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

natetimm posted:

Citation needed.

Can i? This is a copy past because I havent been able to tempt you into a deeper discussion.

1-3 Guns are not used millions of times each year in self-defense

We use epidemiological theory to explain why the “false positive” problem for rare events can lead to large overestimates of the incidence of rare diseases or rare phenomena such as self-defense gun use. We then try to validate the claims of many millions of annual self-defense uses against available evidence. We find that the claim of many millions of annual self-defense gun uses by American citizens is invalid.

Hemenway, David. Survey research and self-defense gun use: An explanation of extreme overestimates. Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology. 1997; 87:1430-1445.

Hemenway, David. The myth of millions of annual self-defense gun uses: A case study of survey overestimates of rare events. Chance (American Statistical Association). 1997; 10:6-10.

Cook, Philip J; Ludwig, Jens; Hemenway, David. The gun debate’s new mythical number: How many defensive uses per year? Journal of Policy Analysis and Management. 1997; 16:463-469.

4. Most purported self-defense gun uses are gun uses in escalating arguments and are both socially undesirable and illegal

We analyzed data from two national random-digit-dial surveys conducted under the auspices of the Harvard Injury Control Research Center. Criminal court judges who read the self-reported accounts of the purported self-defense gun use rated a majority as being illegal, even assuming that the respondent had a permit to own and to carry a gun, and that the respondent had described the event honestly from his own perspective.

Hemenway, David; Miller, Matthew; Azrael, Deborah. Gun use in the United States: Results from two national surveys. Injury Prevention. 2000; 6:263-267.

5. Firearms are used far more often to intimidate than in self-defense.

Using data from a national random-digit-dial telephone survey conducted under the direction of the Harvard Injury Control Center, we examined the extent and nature of offensive gun use. We found that firearms are used far more often to frighten and intimidate than they are used in self-defense. All reported cases of criminal gun use, as well as many of the so-called self-defense gun uses, appear to be socially undesirable.

Hemenway, David; Azrael, Deborah. The relative frequency of offensive and defensive gun use: Results of a national survey. Violence and Victims. 2000; 15:257-272.

6. Guns in the home are used more often to intimidate intimates than to thwart crime.

Using data from a national random-digit-dial telephone survey conducted under the direction of the Harvard Injury Control Research Center, we investigated how and when guns are used in the home. We found that guns in the home are used more often to frighten intimates than to thwart crime; other weapons are far more commonly used against intruders than are guns.

Publication: Azrael, Deborah R; Hemenway, David. In the safety of your own home: Results from a national survey of gun use at home. Social Science and Medicine. 2000; 50:285-91.

7. Adolescents are far more likely to be threatened with a gun than to use one in self-defense.

We analyzed data from a telephone survey of 5,800 California adolescents aged 12-17, which asked questions about gun threats against, and self-defense gun use by these young people. We found that these young people were far more likely to be threatened with a gun than to use a gun in self-defense, and most of the reported self-defense gun uses were hostile interactions between armed adolescents. Males, smokers, binge drinkers, those who threatened others and whose parents were less likely to know their whereabouts were more likely both to be threatened with a gun and to use a gun in self-defense.

Hemenway, David; Miller, Matthew. Gun threats against and self-defense gun use by California adolescents. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine. 2004; 158:395-400.

8. Criminals who are shot are typically the victims of crime

Using data from a survey of detainees in a Washington D.C. jail, we worked with a prison physician to investigate the circumstances of gunshot wounds to these criminals.
We found that one in four of these detainees had been wounded, in events that appear unrelated to their incarceration. Most were shot when they were victims of robberies, assaults and crossfires. Virtually none report being wounded by a “law-abiding citizen.”
May, John P; Hemenway, David. Oen, Roger; Pitts, Khalid R. When criminals are shot: A survey of Washington DC jail detainees. Medscape General Medicine. 2000; June 28. https://www.medscape.com

9 The risks of a gun in the home typically far outweigh the benefits

This article summarizes the scientific literature on the health risks and benefits of having a gun in the home for the gun owner and his/her family and concludes that for most contemporary Americans, the health risk of a gun in the home is greater than the benefit

Hemenway, David. Risks and benefits of a gun in the home. American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine 2011; 5:502-511.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

stealie72 posted:

here's the thing that i haven't seen anybody actually adress yet, though:

the people who are against gun control are the people preventing people from having better access to healthcare, including mental health resources

while the people pushing for gun control, who you refuse to vote for, are also the people pushing for health care reform

so you don't really get to do this "well what if we had THIS" bullshit, when you're (and i use the general you, referring to single-issue gun control voters as a whole) voting for the people who are actively working to stop that system from existing

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

natetimm posted:

Citation needed.

http://www.livescience.com/51446-guns-do-not-deter-crime.html
http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/ascii/hvfsdaft.txt

In 1992 offenders armed with handguns committed a record 931,000
violent crimes. Handgun crimes accounted for about 13% of all
violent crimes. As measured by the National Crime Victimization
Survey (NCVS), the rate of nonfatal handgun victimizations in
1992--4.5 crimes per 1,000 people age 12 or older--supplanted the
record of 4.0 per 1,000 in 1982.

On average in 1987-92 about 83,000 crime victims per year used a
firearm to defend themselves or their property. Three-fourths of
the victims who used a firearm for defense did so during a violent
crime; a fourth, during a theft, household burglary, or motor
vehicle theft.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/06/19/guns-in-america-for-every-criminal-killed-in-self-defense-34-innocent-people-die/

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

unfortunately, the democrats are so preoccupied with hypocritical gun grabbing that they're too busy to do useful things such as expanding access to healthcare
I'm sure if we gave the NRA everything they wanted on gun control, they'd convince the Republicans to spearhead the effort on improved mental health

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

here's the thing that i haven't seen anybody actually adress yet, though:

the people who are against gun control are the people preventing people from having better access to healthcare, including mental health resources

while the people pushing for gun control, who you refuse to vote for, are also the people pushing for health care reform

so you don't really get to do this "well what if we had THIS" bullshit, when you're (and i use the general you, referring to single-issue gun control voters as a whole) voting for the people who are actively working to stop that system from existing
Exactly. It's a bitch to be a voter who believes people should own guns, but that people should also have access to decent health care and not be left to starve on the streets. Our political system is completely hosed.

• Locked thread