Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

nm posted:

I'm still unsure that training would have taught him to do that. That whole thing seems like it would be a great way to get killed if Rice had had a real gun and a desire to kill a cop.

I have reviewed some trainings (other depts in other states for legal reasons) and moat of them seem to emphasize cover and assessing situations (and calling for backup if needed) not being captain fuckstick.

That would be a good reason for him to be charged with a crime then and possibly convicted, imo. Oh you ended up killing an unarmed civilian and what you did doesn't even mesh with your training? You are personally held responsible. Done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

There is law that may punish the officers actions.
It all depends on if what he did and believed was not, beyond a reasonable doubt, reasonable based on the officers knowledge, training, and experence at the time. The problem is that is hard to pin down exactly what is and is not reasonable.

I don't think the law needs to be changed. The law just needs to be more consistently applied.
Is the officer guilty of murder? Maybe not, there have been so many competing fact narratives, it is hard to know what he believed at the time and if it ia reasonable (that could be determined by a real investigation). I lean toward guilty, but that may be my own biases at work.

nm, would the fact that 911 did not inform the officers of that it was a fake gun (or even a possibility thereof) weigh heavily on the training and belief aspects

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

nm posted:

Yes, lets have two people argue about something they agree on for pages because they are using different terms because it is rude for the law talking guy to explain that they agree. Got it.

That is not what is happening and almost never is what's happening.

As always there are two discussions. The legal side arguing that at the moment of the killng of Tamir Rice the cop did nothing I legal. Then there is the the non legal side desperately trying to have the discussion that the events leading up to that moment are the problem and had either of the cops in that car done anything else besides pull up 5 feet from him and blow him away before a 12 year old brain can even process what is happening should be a factor.

But legal side as in almost every case only focuses on the final moments and the legalality of the last minutes or seconds of the situation. Schizophrenic lady died because they were trying to restrain a struggling feces flinging woman, ignoring that a schizophrenic was kept in solitary for 5 days. Headlight kid was legally shot because he attacked the cop, ignore that it was most likely because a teenager was dragged forcefully out of the car, tazed and wrestled with and could reasonably be said to be scared shitless by the time he hit the cop.

Arguing the legal aspects of ONLY the final killing while waving aside the events that led to those final moments is the constant theme of this thread.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

He took a neat, inexpensive wood-stocked surplus carbine and covered it in crappy plastic and modified it to use detachable magazines that probably don't even work right. He probably spent more money than the gun is worth turning a Soviet rear echelon rifle into something "tactical".

So this guy is an idiot dork is what you're saying, as if it wasn't obvious by the picture already

KomradeX fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 15, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ayn rand hand job posted:

nm, would the fact that 911 did not inform the officers of that it was a fake gun (or even a possibility thereof) weigh heavily on the training and belief aspects

One would think it could only hurt their case. If they knew it was a toy gun, then ambushing the kid is at least safe if nonsensical. That the cops did that while under the belief they were dealing with a real gun just means they were knowingly putting lives at risk for no discernible reason.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ayn rand hand job posted:

Yes.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Sharkie posted:

The rifle on the right is "drawn." And his finger is a centimeter away from the trigger.
Aside from some unfortunate fashion choices in the 70s, it's very rare to see a rifle in a holster. Going by the picture and context, your belief that two open carry dorks represented an imminent threat would not be reasonable.

Trabisnikof posted:

So you're saying if Rice had already drawn his gun toy, with his finger less an an inch from a trigger the officer would have magically been in the wrong to shoot him?
If he'd just been sitting there with the toy (or even a real gun) in hand, finger off the trigger, not pointing it at anyone, and hadn't reacted at all? I'd say that the officer's perception of an imminent threat would be unreasonable.

botany posted:

There are no natural rights. Laws are there to codify morality.

No, when Prop 8 passed most people understood that despite the majority feeling that there is nothing wrong with homosexual marriage, Cali had just passed a law that ran counter to that feeling.

Yes the moral stance here is that "adultery should not be illegal" which the law supports.
:catstare: Yeah, I don't think you and I are going to see eye to eye on this one. That's probably beyond the scope of this thread though. If the majority had felt that gay marriage was a moral wrong, would that have made Prop 8 a good law? If you think adultery is wrong, but don't think it should be against the law, how can you say that law is meant to codify morality?

Toasticle posted:

As always there are two discussions. The legal side arguing that at the moment of the killng of Tamir Rice the cop did nothing I legal. Then there is the the non legal side desperately trying to have the discussion that the events leading up to that moment are the problem and had either of the cops in that car done anything else besides pull up 5 feet from him and blow him away before a 12 year old brain can even process what is happening should be a factor.
Arguing the legal aspects of ONLY the final killing while waving aside the events that led to those final moments is the constant theme of this thread.
Yes, because it's the only just way to discuss it. The law doesn't consider whether, with the benefit of hindsight and perfect knowledge, there was a way for the defendant to avoid the situation, or even whether there may have been a better way for the defendant to handle it given what he knew at the time. The only relevant question should be whether what the defendant did was reasonable and lawful. You can say that what happened to Rice was wrong, and that the officer and the department bear moral responsibility, but the minute you say individuals should face jail time or other legal consequences, you have to be willing to engage that from a legal perspective.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
A 12-year old kid was murdered.

Two cops were involved. One left a previous job because that department determined he was not mentally stable enough to cut it as a cop. The other had brutality charges levied against him & the city paid out money to the victim. Both lied in their reports. Neither officer was interviewed by their own department. A municipal judge ruled that there seemed to be enough evidence for charges.

But, as ever, we'll go round & round about it in this thread. The lack of any sort of empathy or expression of concern about the victim by the police dick-riders (not just this case) is nearly as stunning to me as the cases themselves. And it's pretty telling when someone sees a picture of two people in public carrying rifles and immediately parses that they're simply open-carry "nerds". I shudder to think what the description given for Tamir Rice might be.

A 12-year old was murdered.

And some of you seem like really pathetic pieces-of-poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KomradeX posted:

So this guy is an idiot dork is what you're saying, as if it wasn't obvious by the picture already

He's the goober that puts $2500 rims, a Malaysian knockoff turbo, and a big plastic wing on his hand-me-down Subaru Legacy.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

C2C - 2.0 posted:

A 12-year old was murdered.

Yes but the cop didn't yell "I am going to shoot you because I fear for my life as you are a Ni African American Child and therefor you deserve to die."

So it's cool.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Dead Reckoning posted:

The law doesn't consider whether, with the benefit of hindsight and perfect knowledge, there was a way for the defendant to avoid the situation, or even whether there may have been a better way for the defendant to handle it given what he knew at the time.

Actually yes it does if it can be found that the person took action that was criminally negligent. And some of us would include actions taken by police that are contrary to policy, contrary to accepted practice of deescalation, and are shown to create a pattern of unacceptable loss of life to be criminally negligent. I am the first to admit that this isn't always current interpretation, but I would assert that it is a poor interpretation that produces poor results and it needs to be challenged through both the judicial system and if necessary additional legislation. And the way that you do that is by actually indicting and prosecuting individuals and attacking the laws that shelter them from the consequences of their actions.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

:catstare: Yeah, I don't think you and I are going to see eye to eye on this one. That's probably beyond the scope of this thread though. If the majority had felt that gay marriage was a moral wrong, would that have made Prop 8 a good law? If you think adultery is wrong, but don't think it should be against the law, how can you say that law is meant to codify morality?

If the majority felt like gay marriage was morally wrong, the law would seem good to them which it obviously did since they voted for it. They clearly didn't think gay marriage was a "natural right."

You can think adultery is wrong, but making it illegal would be more wrong. And then the laws would align with your morals that adultery is bad but making it illegal would be more bad.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Dead Reckoning posted:

:catstare: Yeah, I don't think you and I are going to see eye to eye on this one. That's probably beyond the scope of this thread though. If the majority had felt that gay marriage was a moral wrong, would that have made Prop 8 a good law?
I would still feel that it was a bad law, so in that sense no, but it would have done the job a law is supposed to do, so in that sense yes. To be clear about it: Jim Crow laws were successful laws in the sense that they captured the hosed-up racist opinions of the time, but they were at the same time as bad as the morals they codified.

quote:

If you think adultery is wrong, but don't think it should be against the law, how can you say that law is meant to codify morality?

Because the question of appropriate punishment is a moral question. "It is bad to gently caress people behind your partner's back" is a moral stance, as is "you shouldn't go to jail for adultery".

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Dead Reckoning posted:

Aside from some unfortunate fashion choices in the 70s, it's very rare to see a rifle in a holster. Going by the picture and context, your belief that two open carry dorks represented an imminent threat would not be reasonable.
If he'd just been sitting there with the toy (or even a real gun) in hand, finger off the trigger, not pointing it at anyone, and hadn't reacted at all? I'd say that the officer's perception of an imminent threat would be unreasonable.

The man on the right can go from the position he is currently in to actively shooting in under a second. Trigger discipline is great, but it doesn't stop intentional trigger pulls, which he is in position to switch to right away.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Dead Reckoning are you trying to argue that if literally anything is wrong but not illegal, then the law doesn't codify morality? You know that's bonkers, right?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Why would anyone want to live in a society where a person can just start shooting anyone they see making furtive movements around their waistline? I mean, hey, that random blackbloke walking suspiciously so his hand is moving TOWARDS HIS BELT OH GOD could have had a concealed weapon, who knows, right? If he wanted to kill me (e: and actually had a gun) and I didn't shoot him dead I'd be dead right now!

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
I've seen that position ironically support in real life and throughout these gunthreads. Hell someone just said they don't want to see the Rice's killer charged criminally because they don't want actions like his to be discouraged. It really is kill or be killed in the land of the free :patriot:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mavric posted:

I've seen that position ironically support in real life and throughout these gunthreads. Hell someone just said they don't want to see the Rice's killer charged criminally because they don't want actions like his to be discouraged. It really is kill or be killed in the land of the free :patriot:

Yes, that's exactly what I was posting in response to.

The only reason I can imagine saying this is how it should work is if the person is actually secretly against people having all these guns, in which case showing them what a terrible society they'd have might be worth sounding like a monster.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

We live in a society where children with toys and people moving hands around their waists are more THREATENING than people actively carrying rifles with poor trigger discipline. I mean come on those guy are obviously just gun nerds, not like this child here. He's obviously a cop killer just look at him.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I really feel that, for online at least, it's more about spitefulness. People who internally admit that it's a bad idea to have jackasses with hideously poor trigger discipline in fast food, will immediately defend their presence because liberals are attacking it. Similarly, liberals are mad about the Tamir Rice shooting, so there must be something good about it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mavric posted:

The real problem in re-writing self-defense laws is that it is really hard to write a law that covers all circumstances effectively. And as a criminal attorney, I canbtell you that basically every law written after some tragedy designed to prevent that from happening again has been a disaster. In California, it got us 3 strikes, just to name one. Lots of drug laws too.
Especially as if the arguements about the officer's actions are correct are true.
The problem is proving that he is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt and hopefully no one is arguing to do away with that.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Whether the proper purpose of law is to codify morality or to simply protect people and engineer society is an extremely contentious subject and arguing whether one or the other "is" the case is rather silly seeing as the creation of our laws spans hundreds of years and many many people who didn't all agree with position.

Arguing over why one philosophy or the other is the way the law "should" be is very interesting though.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Amoral explanations for most of criminal law make absolutely zero sense, though. They end up inevitably falling back on moral principles in order to justify themselves.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

nm posted:

The real problem in re-writing self-defense laws is that it is really hard to write a law that covers all circumstances effectively. And as a criminal attorney, I canbtell you that basically every law written after some tragedy designed to prevent that from happening again has been a disaster. In California, it got us 3 strikes, just to name one. Lots of drug laws too.
Especially as if the arguements about the officer's actions are correct are true.
The problem is proving that he is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt and hopefully no one is arguing to do away with that.

I think a lot of people would have accepted if a jury found him not guilty, rather than the DA doing everything possible to keep a jury away from the case.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
But if what the policeman did is right and lawful, then again, why can't anyone shoot anyone who does "suspicious, furtive movements" near their guns in an open carry state? Anyone could want you dead at any moment and if they have a gun they're 2 seconds away from shooting you. And if concealed carry is allowed then pretty much anyone could be a threat to your life, even if you don't see a gun on them.

Is that really better than finding a way to stop cops from shooting children?

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.

nm posted:

re-writing self-defense laws

Yeah I know I agree. Nothing here needs to be re-written though, only a deranged death worshiping american can look at Rice being gunned down like that and claim the officer's fear for his own safety was reasonable. But I guess that's a question for the jury... oh wait it'll never get there.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zanzibar Ham posted:

But if what the policeman did is right and lawful, then again, why can't anyone shoot anyone who does "suspicious, furtive movements" near their guns in an open carry state?

I believe the pro-cop response is that if someone else told you they had been waving it around, you then in fact could. But baring the 3rd party, it is magically not ok.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

I believe the pro-cop response is that if someone else told you they had been waving it around, you then in fact could. But baring the 3rd party, it is magically not ok.

Then what happened to the person who told them he was waving a gun and ultimately got him shot? IIRC the original caller said the gun is probably not real, but then the person who got the call didn't give that information, what happened to that person?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Then what happened to the person who told them he was waving a gun and ultimately got him shot? IIRC the original caller said the gun is probably not real, but then the person who got the call didn't give that information, what happened to that person?

What do you think we should do to the dispatcher that failed to communicate that?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

What do you think we should do to the dispatcher that failed to communicate that?

Depends on how well they knew the policemen they called on the kid I guess. I mean if they didn't know the cops were really that dumb then it's hardly their fault.

But back to the cops themselves, I think there should be some kind of law against forcing a situation where suddenly you're supposedly in fear for your life and may start shooting. Depending on the case the potential punishment could be light or heavy.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If all it takes for a child to be deemed a "reasonable lethal threat" is that he has a toy gun, then they should be illegal to sell for their own safety. Of course we all know the reality is that the kid was black which is why the officer's fear was "reasonable" but it's impolite to discuss this so we all have to pretend that a child with a toy is scary while openly carrying adults are not.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

nm posted:

Self defense laws only need to be re-written if they are honestly allowing people to kill other people who literally pose no actual threat because they "were scared", even though they initiated the confrontation in the first place.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

Self defense laws only need to be re-written if they are honestly allowing people to kill other people who literally pose no actual threat because they "were scared", even though they initiated the confrontation in the first place.

What in your mind counts as initiating a confrontation?
The issue here is not that the police initiated the confrontation (which is kind of thier job in many cases), it is that they did it in a profoundly stupid manner.
If they had done the same thing, except did not shoot intially, but Rice drew a firearm and they shot him after that, no one would care that they "initiated" the situation.
The question is whether they reasonably feared GBI/death.
Initiating in this manner doesn't really matter in non-police situations too. If there is a burglar on my property, I confront him to try to scare him off, and he draws a knife, I can defend myself.
The deciding factor is whether I reasonably feared for my life. People do stupid poo poo all the time, and thier failure to act exactly as they should have shouldn't prevent them from defending themselves against deadly force.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

nm posted:

What in your mind counts as initiating a confrontation?
The issue here is not that the police initiated the confrontation (which is kind of thier job in many cases), it is that they did it in a profoundly stupid manner.
If they had done the same thing, except did not shoot intially, but Rice drew a firearm and they shot him after that, no one would care that they "initiated" the situation.
The question is whether they reasonably feared GBI/death.
Initiating in this manner doesn't really matter in non-police situations too. If there is a burglar on my property, I confront him to try to scare him off, and he draws a knife, I can defend myself.
The deciding factor is whether I reasonably feared for my life. People do stupid poo poo all the time, and thier failure to act exactly as they should have shouldn't prevent them from defending themselves against deadly force.

By initiating a confrontation, I don't really mean initiating contact. Obviously police have to actually get into contact with people as part of their job. By confrontation I specifically mean the situation where the cop feels the need to draw their weapon, or any situation where the cop feels they are now in immediate danger. Were they in danger 30 seconds earlier when they were dozens of yards away in their vehicle? What options were available to them besides pulling up within feet of an alleged gunman and rapidly deploying, yelling commands with their weapons drawn? In my opinion, if it can be shown they had any other option for confronting Rice and they chose not to take it, then they should be held criminally accountable for his death, most specifically because he was not actually armed with a weapon.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Effectronica posted:

Amoral explanations for most of criminal law make absolutely zero sense, though. They end up inevitably falling back on moral principles in order to justify themselves.

No, not at all. Although going half way and basically treating rights as moral principles is a common philosophy, especially among the natural rights crowd.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Jarmak posted:

No, not at all. Although going half way and basically treating rights as moral principles is a common philosophy, especially among the natural rights crowd.

Okay. Explain why murder is and, more importantly, should be illegal without falling back on moral principles.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Effectronica posted:

Okay. Explain why murder is and, more importantly, should be illegal without falling back on moral principles.

Do you want to live in a society where people are free to kill you?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Jarmak posted:

Do you want to live in a society where people are free to kill you?

That's a moral principle. Try again.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Effectronica posted:

That's a moral principle. Try again.

no its not, not wanting to get stabbed on the way home from the market is not remotely a moral principle.

edit: this is also a really stupid argument to try to prove seeing as legal systems as we know them today originated as amoral social engineering, the idea of codifying morality didn't come until later.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
For the chipotle open carry goober analogy to work, I would have to see the goobers, kick open the door while making a loud noise, and if they do so much as twitch, interpret it as a threat and open fire. The fact that people naturally twitch when loud noises are present in their vicinity is beside the point, as is the fact that I burst in on them essentially begging them to jump so I could ventilate them.

• Locked thread