Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Blackberry has put up a page where you can "pre-register" for the Blackberry Priv.

So, if you want to be spammed by Blackberry, now is your chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selane
May 19, 2006

Rastor posted:

Blackberry has put up a page where you can "pre-register" for the Blackberry Priv.

So, if you want to be spammed by Blackberry, now is your chance.

You know what would really get people excited about this phone? An invite system!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Show your manboobs for an invitation to buy the hot new Blackberry phone

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Got two invite codes for 1+2 good until 1pm CEST tmrw. PM first come first serve.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So what do you do if you want a Nexus 6P, but a Nexus 6 is nearly half the price? The 6P is obviously better in many ways, but I wonder if it's THAT much better.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Radbot posted:

So what do you do if you want a Nexus 6P, but a Nexus 6 is nearly half the price? The 6P is obviously better in many ways, but I wonder if it's THAT much better.

If you want a fingerprint scanner and lack of wireless charging, get the 6P.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Radbot posted:

I'm kinda in the same boat. I think I'm going to go with a 32GB 5x though, since I think it seems like a good size for me and I've never had a phone that had a top of the line (for smartphones) camera and fingerprint sensor before.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

After using Android Pay for a while I can finally say I wish I had a fingerprint sensor on my phone. It's not a huge deal but it would save me a lot of time and hassle in the long run.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Syrinxx posted:

After using Android Pay for a while I can finally say I wish I had a fingerprint sensor on my phone. It's not a huge deal but it would save me a lot of time and hassle in the long run.

Buy a Bluetooth device that authenticates your phone.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Doesn't help. You still have to enter your password when you do a transaction with Smart Unlock. It's definitely a downgrade in that respect over Wallet.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I don't know why you're not carrying at all times a phone, a tablet, a phablet, a smart watch, a bluetooth keyfob, and various nfc tags superglued to your clothing and accessories. In fact, when I have my double-wide cargo jorts on, I like to keep a spare 20,000 mah battery connected to my pocket Qi charger. I keep this topped off with a solar panel I wear from a chain around my neck.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Syrinxx posted:

This is one of the big reasons that I'm going to sell my 6 and get a 6P. I used to use Wallet all the time, but Android Pay forces you to have a lock on your phone. I don't use a lock on my phone, because it's inconvenient and I rarely leave the house (lol, shut-in nerd). I have had to stop using Wallet and can't use Android Pay now because I really don't want to lock my phone.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mnemosyne posted:

This is one of the big reasons that I'm going to sell my 6 and get a 6P. I used to use Wallet all the time, but Android Pay forces you to have a lock on your phone. I don't use a lock on my phone, because it's inconvenient and I rarely leave the house (lol, shut-in nerd). I have had to stop using Wallet and can't use Android Pay now because I really don't want to lock my phone.

The location based smart lock works really well for me.

Also, get out more.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm upgrading from 6 to 6p for the camera and battery, and to a lesser extent the weight and better dimensions. If the camera and battery aren't significantly better I will be a tad upset.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I've had a nexus 5 since it came out and love the vanilla android, fast updates and lack of touchwiz style crap.

I don't care about fingerprint scanners, wireless charging, Google pay or camera quality. I just want a good, well priced, powerful phone with a decent screen. Good battery life is a bonus.

Should I get the new nexus 5, 6 or something else?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

GTO posted:

I've had a nexus 5 since it came out and love the vanilla android, fast updates and lack of touchwiz style crap.

I don't care about fingerprint scanners, wireless charging, Google pay or camera quality. I just want a good, well priced, powerful phone with a decent screen. Good battery life is a bonus.

Should I get the new nexus 5, 6 or something else?

Nexus 5x

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I don't know why you're not carrying at all times a phone, a tablet, a phablet, a smart watch, a bluetooth keyfob, and various nfc tags superglued to your clothing and accessories. In fact, when I have my double-wide cargo jorts on, I like to keep a spare 20,000 mah battery connected to my pocket Qi charger. I keep this topped off with a solar panel I wear from a chain around my neck.

I'm not going to lie, you got me pretty excited with the mention of a pocket Qi charger.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Has anyone purchased this 4x USB-C pack from Amazon in anticipation for their new Nexus device yet? http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Colour-...&keywords=usb-c

I'm thinking of placing an order today but wondering if I should be aware of any compatibility issues or wait for a better cable?

ghableska
Jul 9, 2008

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Welp. I was wrong. After changing this setting, I still get articles from the New York Times. :( Sorry for getting your hopes up, everybody.

Yeah I'm still getting totally irrelevant articles despite marking them.

Also, my Nexus 5 just updated to Marshmallow and the swipe up from home gesture doesn't work anymore. How do I reenable it?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Doesn't the Nexus 6 fulfill all those requirements? He didn't say he doesn't wear massive-pocketed jorts...

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Busy Bee posted:

Has anyone purchased this 4x USB-C pack from Amazon in anticipation for their new Nexus device yet? http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Colour-...&keywords=usb-c

I'm thinking of placing an order today but wondering if I should be aware of any compatibility issues or wait for a better cable?

Cable compatibility might be an issue in future if they leave out the extra pins/wires for USB3.0/3.1 data, but the Nexuses are only using USB2.0 data so it doesn't matter for now. Just get anything that looks decently assembled :shrug:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

ghableska posted:

Also, my Nexus 5 just updated to Marshmallow and the swipe up from home gesture doesn't work anymore. How do I reenable it?

You now have to long press the home icon while on the home screen.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Nexus 5 finally got Android 6! Trouble is, Hangouts crashes the moment I open a conversation with a particular person, but not others.
I also see that Messenger got an update, even though I never installed it. I guess it's part of Android 6 and Google is trying to tell me something?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Busy Bee posted:

They should work fine but be aware that you'll get slower charging speeds from A <-> C cables than you will with C <-> C. There's still a bit of uncertainty around the exact speeds because of all the various charging standards that exist.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Tunga posted:

They should work fine but be aware that you'll get slower charging speeds from A <-> C cables than you will with C <-> C. There's still a bit of uncertainty around the exact speeds because of all the various charging standards that exist.

Interesting, I was not aware of that. I will probably just buy the USB-C 2.0 A - C cable so I can use it with my car charger / work charger etc and then upgrade everything next year.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

DemonMage posted:

Doesn't help. You still have to enter your password when you do a transaction with Smart Unlock. It's definitely a downgrade in that respect over Wallet.

Yeah and I just tried to use Android Pay yesterday and it kept asking me for my PIN even though I entered it in correctly. Not sure what was up with that.

I use Smart Unlock (Pebble and location), but I'd still like the finger print sensor. Every once in awhile I have to reenter my PIN to do something. And I'd rather use a nice secure password with mixed characters instead of a 4 digit PIN but I hate having to type it out.

ja_raul
May 1, 2005

beerinator posted:

I'm not going to lie, you got me pretty excited with the mention of a pocket Qi charger.

it exists.. http://amzn.com/B00KOOE5SK

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Busy Bee posted:

I did. It's. Its not a bad price. They should be at my house in a day or two. My 5x hasn't shipped yet.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I did. It's. Its not a bad price. They should be at my house in a day or two. My 5x hasn't shipped yet.

Awesome. I'm a little hesitant to order it since it seems that some of the reviews are talking about how its a slower charge compared to other USB-C cables.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

RZA Encryption posted:

The location based smart lock works really well for me.

Also, get out more.

Shush, I'm trying to rationalize buying myself a new toy.

Seriously though, I don't have a lock on it because it's inconvenient, but I would actually like to have one, because I have teenage foster kids. PIN/pattern locks seem like a lovely idea for keeping them from reading my texts (if they wanted to), because they're around me all the time and could easily figure those out from watching me. Putting a PIN/pattern lock on means the only one I'd be inconveniencing is myself. Location-based lock fixes the Android Pay problem, but doesn't keep teenagers from reading my emails.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

Mnemosyne posted:

Seriously though, I don't have a lock on it because it's inconvenient, but I would actually like to have one, because I have teenage foster kids. PIN/pattern locks seem like a lovely idea for keeping them from reading my texts (if they wanted to), because they're around me all the time and could easily figure those out from watching me. Putting a PIN/pattern lock on means the only one I'd be inconveniencing is myself. Location-based lock fixes the Android Pay problem, but doesn't keep teenagers from reading my emails.

Another problem easily solved by the Retractable Phone Zipline™!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Solid rumours that the 6P is delayed a week in :canada: http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/10/14/nexus-6p-launch-delayed-until-november-2-in-canada :(

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mnemosyne posted:

Turn pattern lock on, turn off trace, get over the perceived inconvenience. Eventually you will be in a situation you'll be glad you did.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Whats the best screen filtering solution? I am currently using llama lab's automate to dim my screen according to light detected but 0% is still too bright for night. I was using Lux but it was using significant battery and would interfere with installing apk's sometimes due to screen filtering.

What are some other solutions? The more automated the better. I am using a rooted moto x 2014 pure.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

ghableska posted:

Turning off Now on Tap should bring the swipe gesture back.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

Nexus 5 finally got Android 6! Trouble is, Hangouts crashes the moment I open a conversation with a particular person, but not others.
I also see that Messenger got an update, even though I never installed it. I guess it's part of Android 6 and Google is trying to tell me something?

Recently I've been receiving texts 1-10 hours after they're sent, in batches, even when I've been using the phone. I also suddenly don't receive MMS (not iMessages, though of course I don't get those either).

When I click the "Share" in Chrome Beta, now a new pop-up gives me a selection of my frequent contacts so I can directly text them...through Messenger. If you want to text with Hangouts, you select Hangouts, then your Google account, then the person you want to text to.

I tried to switch to Messenger, but it still doesn't seem to get MMS.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I've been having problems with my LG G4. I was using it and it froze and started boot looping. I tried to put it into download mode to factory reset it and was successful, but after confirming twice that I want to factory reset it, it goes to the splash screen and still bootloops. later on I was able to get into the android system and get all of my text messages and most of my files and photos backed up, but then maybe 10 minutes later the phone starts boot looping again. This is the T-Mobile variant, 5.1.1 stock not Xpozed or rooted. All stock. I did notice a few weeks prior that the system would freeze up for about 15 seconds time to time. Anyone else seen this before?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

FogHelmut posted:

What, you're not using your ventricular assist device as your paired device for smart lock? Pleb.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

b0nes posted:

I've been having problems with my LG G4. I was using it and it froze and started boot looping. I tried to put it into download mode to factory reset it and was successful, but after confirming twice that I want to factory reset it, it goes to the splash screen and still bootloops. later on I was able to get into the android system and get all of my text messages and most of my files and photos backed up, but then maybe 10 minutes later the phone starts boot looping again. This is the T-Mobile variant, 5.1.1 stock not Xpozed or rooted. All stock. I did notice a few weeks prior that the system would freeze up for about 15 seconds time to time. Anyone else seen this before?

Bad NAND.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nocal posted:

Recently I've been receiving texts 1-10 hours after they're sent, in batches, even when I've been using the phone. I also suddenly don't receive MMS (not iMessages, though of course I don't get those either).

When I click the "Share" in Chrome Beta, now a new pop-up gives me a selection of my frequent contacts so I can directly text them...through Messenger. If you want to text with Hangouts, you select Hangouts, then your Google account, then the person you want to text to.

I tried to switch to Messenger, but it still doesn't seem to get MMS.

I had something similar with my N5 after the 6.0 MMS. Googling told me its Pushbullet. I uninstalled it and Mighty Text, rebooted, and I'm back in MMS business.

Here is a thread about it:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/nexus/VW_L9kVVy8g