Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So, he effectively generated a new password, plopped the generated password into where the computer looks for passwords, used said password and was able to login?

Neat, never would have thought of that myself, mostly because I wouldn't have expected that to work.

Yeah, I wouldn't have thought of that myself either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Solaris is the best non-BSD UNIX. HP-UX, AIX, and all the dead variants all suck in various ways.

Shame on you for using md5 (and thinking modern systems use md5 -- they should be sha-512, suse included, which doesn't preclude sha tables, but md5 is wrong in a few says). SuSE probably hasn't used md5 in this decade. I think they moved to blowfish in the late 2000s, then onto sha, but it's definitely not md5 on anything recent.

init=/some/shell would have worked. rd.break=pre-pivot rd.shell also would have worked (after bind mounting /sys, /dev, and /proc into /sysroot for completeness), and dracut isn't much more limited than that rescue shell.

I mean, congrats on fixing it and knowing esoterica, but you made it a lot harder than it needed to be in a lot of ways and make it sound a lot harder than it needed to be. In the nicest way possible, the world changes, and you may want to read a RHCSA or SCLA book to get up to speed on current practice.

This post is basically one of those pet answers you'd get prompted for in an interview about an rear end-backwards way to do something.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A call came in right as I was laying down to go to bed. The station goes on the air live in 20 minutes and nothing in studio control is responding. Media playback can't locate the server, none of the computers have network access, it's just a bunch of equipment sitting there not knowing how to communicate with each other.

Guess who's phone is going straight to voicemail?

the answer is the chief engineer

I make the drive in and spend an hour and a half rerouting cables and checking for dead switches/ports, but nothing is really turning up. The network is fine in the rest of the building, but in that one room, there's no network access. Well, almost none, the computers can ping the media playout server, but it's getting response times in the several thousands and not responding the rest of the time.

I systematically go through and replace every switch (buffalo brand lolololol) in the room but it doesn't make a difference.

Long story short, turns out the culprit was the machine that transmits the sensor information for the virtual set. Basically every camera in the studio has a sensor head on it that tracks the camera's location, pan, tilt, zoom, focus, etc... and transmits that information via XLR to an ASR. The ASR then converts that information and transmits it to the virtual server via the network. The end result is the server can tell where the camera is pointing and how far it's zoomed and focuses and can display the virtual set appropriately, relative to the camera's perceived position.

Well, for some reason, the drat thing was backfeeding into the network or some poo poo. Who even knows.

It's loving midnight and I'm tired. I put an Out of Order sign on the virtual server and they can deal with it until tomorrow.

However, it did result in a moderately endearing show where one of the sports guys was literally drawing the graphics on a dry erase board and holding it by the anchor's face. It was kind of adorable.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

totalnewbie posted:

To be pedantic, GMT and UTC are not technically the same thing. GMT is an actual time zone whereas UTC is a time standard. GMT is the time zone that matches UTC, but countries can move in and out of GMT. For example, the UK uses daylight savings time and so isn't on GMT when daylight savings time is in effect.

Goddamn, I have an argument with a guy at my last job about this. On a computer, there is no difference. He seriously wanted to have a project to change GMT to UTC on every machine in a multiple DC's and a total of 20k+ servers. In effect, it's the difference between kleenex and tissues. It matters to Kimberly-Clark and Georgia Pacific, but the rest of us don't give a poo poo.

He even tried to prove me wrong by doing this:

code:
[leo@rabies::/usr/share/zoneinfo/US]$ zdump -v /usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT |md5sum
f2757362c434c98e911655e7e35bf6f9  -
[leo@rabies::/usr/share/zoneinfo/US]$ zdump -v /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC |md5sum
707470b6b2fddbeddec76d66febd5eb1  -

[spoiler doesn't work on code blocks, so everyone gets the explanation]
running the command without md5sum shows you why:
code:
[leo@rabies::/usr/share/zoneinfo/US]$ zdump -v /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC 
/usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC  -9223372036854775808 = NULL
/usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC  -9223372036854689408 = NULL
/usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC  9223372036854689407 = NULL
/usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC  9223372036854775807 = NULL

[leo@rabies::/usr/share/zoneinfo/US]$ zdump -v /usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT
/usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT  -9223372036854775808 = NULL
/usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT  -9223372036854689408 = NULL
/usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT  9223372036854689407 = NULL
/usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT  9223372036854775807 = NULL

(Because the command outputs different text, but not different text that matters. only thing that changes is a label, not the definition)
[/spoiler doesn't work on code blocks]

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 15, 2015

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 4, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ITT: people harassing people about rituals.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Kazinsal's liturgy is heterodox to the greater congregation of Pa'as-Wurd. He, and the entire walled city of Carcassone, must be slaughtered to the man.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Eikre posted:

Kazinsal's liturgy is heterodox to the greater congregation of Pa'as-Wurd. He, and the entire walled city of Carcassone, must be slaughtered to the man.

I can get behind that. You can't spell slaughter without laughter! :v:

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

I invite you to explain to me then why there were MD5 hashes in the /etc/shadow before I got to it, why setting a different init didn't work (seriously, I'm not that daft), and the part where you missed that this was done literally spur of the moment today in a university Linux classroom lab.

I'm not some daft old fogey clutching onto the last running UnixWare machine who needs to get with the times and stop using DES in his /etc/passwd, sorry. I solved a problem with the first thing that worked with the tools I had.

Was it overly complex? Yes. Will I do it that way again? Probably not, but that doesn't just not make it an interesting anecdote.

And here's where you show yourself to be a greenhorn, you read evol's post and gave a drat what it said.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

nitrogen posted:

Goddamn, I have an argument with a guy at my last job about this. On a computer, there is no difference. He seriously wanted to have a project to change GMT to UTC on every machine in a multiple DC's and a total of 20k+ servers. In effect, it's the difference between kleenex and tissues. It matters to Kimberly-Clark and Georgia Pacific, but the rest of us don't give a poo poo.

He even tried to prove me wrong by doing this:

code:
[leo@rabies::/usr/share/zoneinfo/US]$ zdump -v /usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT |md5sum
f2757362c434c98e911655e7e35bf6f9  -
[leo@rabies::/usr/share/zoneinfo/US]$ zdump -v /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC |md5sum
707470b6b2fddbeddec76d66febd5eb1  -

[spoiler doesn't work on code blocks, so everyone gets the explanation]
running the command without md5sum shows you why:
code:
[leo@rabies::/usr/share/zoneinfo/US]$ zdump -v /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC 
/usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC  -9223372036854775808 = NULL
/usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC  -9223372036854689408 = NULL
/usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC  9223372036854689407 = NULL
/usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC  9223372036854775807 = NULL

[leo@rabies::/usr/share/zoneinfo/US]$ zdump -v /usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT
/usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT  -9223372036854775808 = NULL
/usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT  -9223372036854689408 = NULL
/usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT  9223372036854689407 = NULL
/usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT  9223372036854775807 = NULL

(Because the command outputs different text, but not different text that matters. only thing that changes is a label, not the definition)
[/spoiler doesn't work on code blocks]

Yeah, the point isn't necessarily that GMT and UTC are different times (they're not) but that they should be used differently.

For example, if you want to use a standard time for people to compare to, then you should use UTC. If you want to talk about what time zone the UK is in during winter, it's GMT. It's pedantry at its finest, really.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I found a picture of Kazinsal at his school:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I found a picture of Kazinsal at his school:

if I had more effort in me I'd do the scene where they "REALIZE THE WORM" pull an all nighter with ""You owe me lunch tomorrow, and coffee in ten minutes." over it in robospeak

which I think is this screenshot anyways

christ it's early I'm tired

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah it is to early. I just realized that the dude from Hackers is Sherlock in that lovely TV show Elementary!

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Some User posted:

Subject:
Can we get the purple out of our emails? I can’t tell what I have read. Thanks.

I haven't a clue what the gently caress this is supposed to mean. I think we should send her in for a drug test.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

siggy2021 posted:

I haven't a clue what the gently caress this is supposed to mean. I think we should send her in for a drug test.

Reply: "I too have no idea what I just read. Ticket closed."

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Maybe some gently caress is sending emails with an unreadably purple font? :shrug:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

siggy2021 posted:

Maybe she's looking for a sativa.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

1) Go drag the shortcut to her desktop, she gets pissed that the fix was so simple.
2) Tell her to drag the shortcut from their directory to her desktop herself, she gets pissed that I'm making her do the work.
3) Ignore it since she was informed where the shortcut was a month ago, she gets pissed that I ignored her.
4) Ignore it since she didn't submit a ticket, she gets pissed that I ignored her and bonus pissed that she has to submit tickets.
Do #1 and moonwalk out.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yeah it is to early. I just realized that the dude from Hackers is Sherlock in that lovely TV show Elementary!

Elementary is great.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

captkirk posted:

And here's where you show yourself to be a greenhorn, you read evol's post and gave a drat what it said.
Quality poster.

Kazinsal posted:

I invite you to explain to me then why there were MD5 hashes in the /etc/shadow before I got to it, why setting a different init didn't work (seriously, I'm not that daft), and the part where you missed that this was done literally spur of the moment today in a university Linux classroom lab.

I'm not some daft old fogey clutching onto the last running UnixWare machine who needs to get with the times and stop using DES in his /etc/passwd, sorry. I solved a problem with the first thing that worked with the tools I had.

Was it overly complex? Yes. Will I do it that way again? Probably not, but that doesn't just not make it an interesting anecdote.

My point is basically that "reset a root password in a lab environment" is literally a requirement of the RHCSA. It's incredibly basic and doesn't take manually generating hashes with openssl. I didn't miss that part at all. init has (on some distros, and some alternatives to init) prompted for a root password with 's", "1", or "single" for a long time. init=/some/shell will never do it. A bootloader password could block you, but that would have come up in grub (and not prompted about root)

It could have been md5, but that's a setting they'd need to have changed manually, because SuSE doesn't default to it. They carried a patch for blowfish (and defaulted to it) since 9.something, and switched to SHA in 2010. But...

As said. It's an interesting anecdote, and props for knowing esoterica, I'm just trying to get across that resetting a lost root password should not be this hard. For people reading it who don't know Linux, it isn't this hard. At all. You don't need to manually generate hashes. It's a well-documented process that pretty much everyone with a basic cert knows off the back of their hand. It has changed (like "single" not working anymore, and needing to pass init=), but it's still easy.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Maybe people would care more about what you post if 90% of what you posted wasn't dickish or if when called out on it you didn't just say "Well I don't care what you guys think about me anyway."

Responding to the guy's anecdote with "Nice thinking on your toes, but here are some easier ways to deal with that" would've been better received than being a dick.

captkirk fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 15, 2015

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

mindphlux posted:

if I had more effort in me I'd do the scene where they "REALIZE THE WORM" pull an all nighter with ""You owe me lunch tomorrow, and coffee in ten minutes." over it in robospeak

which I think is this screenshot anyways

christ it's early I'm tired

IM HACKING AS FAST AS I CAN OVER HERE

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Hehe, accolades from GM in front of supervisor today. GM came and wanted a rundown on last night and supervisor kept trying to interject his opinions and every time he talked, GM would just look at him and go back to talking to me. Then he thanked me and called me a hero.

His exact words were, "It's nice to know I've got at least one person on staff I can count on in an emergency," and then he shot a death glare at supervisor.

Now supervisor won't talk to me :qq:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

larchesdanrew posted:

Hehe, accolades from GM in front of supervisor today. GM came and wanted a rundown on last night and supervisor kept trying to interject his opinions and every time he talked, GM would just look at him and go back to talking to me. Then he thanked me and called me a hero.

His exact words were, "It's nice to know I've got at least one person on staff I can count on in an emergency," and then he shot a death glare at supervisor.

So basically a win-win with a gently caress you cherry on top.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

GreenNight posted:

Yeah but the whole dessert is still a bowl of poo poo.
larchesdanrew needs to :yotj: fast.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

captkirk posted:

Maybe people would care more about what you post if 90% of what you posted wasn't dickish or if when called out on it you didn't just say "Well I don't care what you guys think about me anyway."

Responding to the guy's anecdote with "Nice thinking on your toes, but here are some easier ways to deal with that" would've been better received than being a dick.

Again, I really don't give a poo poo what you think or how you receive what I say. "Quality poster" wasn't a response to anything you think about what I say. It's that I also discard your posts.

"Props on knowing esoterica" is as far as I'm willing to go. "Nice thinking on your toes" implies that anyone who can rub two brain cells together to pass an RHCSA or LPIC doesn't know the ways I suggested (which they do). It was a completely backwards way to go about things.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

GreenNight posted:

Not really, see the previous posts about the GM - friendly one minute, eating out of the CE's hands and loving Larches over 5 minutes later

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

evol262 posted:

Solaris is the best non-BSD UNIX. HP-UX, AIX, and all the dead variants all suck in various ways.
Ha, they all be hatin' on you for esoterica, when you have this mote in your eye. AIX for lyfe. Enjoy using your config files to manage your adapters and storage.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Also Sick Boy from Trainspotting.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

porktree posted:

Ha, they all be hatin' on you for esoterica, when you have this mote in your eye. AIX for lyfe. Enjoy using your config files to manage your adapters and storage.

I just enjoy not needing to deal with IBM. AIX is ok (even though I like Solaris more), but the engineers are a nightmare. Why is a shared library acting like a static one (linear increase in memory based on the number of processes using it) on some servers and not others? Engineers can't tell you. Rinse and repeat. I know reproducing and fixing bugs like that is a big PITA, I've sound found Solaris more "solid" than AIX. Also, gently caress PowerVM. But maybe AIX really improved in 7 (last I touched was 6).

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

Your GM is amazing at applying battered employee syndrome.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

I just enjoy not needing to deal with IBM. AIX is ok (even though I like Solaris more), but the engineers are a nightmare. Why is a shared library acting like a static one (linear increase in memory based on the number of processes using it) on some servers and not others? Engineers can't tell you. Rinse and repeat. I know reproducing and fixing bugs like that is a big PITA, I've sound found Solaris more "solid" than AIX. Also, gently caress PowerVM. But maybe AIX really improved in 7 (last I touched was 6).
Quick, somebody call Oracle, we've found Solaris' last remaining fan. AIX 5 or newer on POWER5 or higher metal runs stupidly well forever.

Edit: I know this is anecdotal but. I have two customers with mixed AIX/Solaris shops. Each has experienced a complete datacenter power loss in the past 6 years or so. In each case, they basically powered on their networks, then storage, then powered on their servers. All the IBM machines were happy and processing again with little to no intervention, while it took each customer a week to tease all the tangles out of Solaris.

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 15, 2015

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Ozz81 posted:

Not really, see the previous posts about the GM - friendly one minute, eating out of the CE's hands and loving Larches over 5 minutes later

loving this. It's literally a puppet show to keep him working and giving a drat. :smith:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Aunt Beth posted:

Quick, somebody call Oracle, we've found Solaris' last remaining fan. AIX 5 or newer on POWER5 or higher metal runs stupidly well forever.

Edit: I know this is anecdotal but. I have two customers with mixed AIX/Solaris shops. Each has experienced a complete datacenter power loss in the past 6 years or so. In each case, they basically powered on their networks, then storage, then powered on their servers. All the IBM machines were happy and processing again with little to no intervention, while it took each customer a week to tease all the tangles out of Solaris.

I've seen stupidly high uptimes for both AIX and Solaris systems. It's funny how they run until the power goes out.

For the Solaris shop, a huge number of reboot stability issues I've seen were solved by enforcing UFS logging. After that, weekend pages from reboots dropped to 10% of what they were. It wasn't the default build for a long time. I think AIX has journaling on out of the box.

E: I should add that that shop was enforcing frequent reboots to solve application stability issues, not the fault of Solaris. But without logging, the systems would always come up needing manual fsck.

18 Character Limit fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 15, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Aunt Beth posted:

I was more of an OpenSolaris fan, though I did like 10 more than AIX6 (AIX 4 being an obvious mess, and 5L being better than Sol9 and below). Solaris and AIX are both pretty stable (minus the already mentioned UFS problems, but ZFS-on-root is ok). SVM is an obvious mess that nobody should use, but that I've run into way too often in Solaris shops. Loved the hardware, hated AIX, and I can't even really put my finger on why. Heavy usage of inittab? Maybe. A bunch of variant-specific commands? Maybe, but that applies to every UNIX. LPARs? Maybe (they're cool, I just like zones better). At least it's still better than HP-UX.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Gothmog1065 posted:

Your GM is amazing at applying battered employee syndrome.

Malek posted:

loving this. It's literally a puppet show to keep him working and giving a drat. :smith:

Ozz81 posted:

Trust me, guys. I'm not that loving stupid. I'm not sitting here beaming about my little pat on the head. What I am beaming about is that this momentary spotlight on my reliability has taken the spotlight off of my supervisor and he is absolutely fuming about it. It's actually hilarious how childish he's acting about the whole situation.

I got in and started undoing all the temporary cable runs I made last night and putting things back the way they were, and every few minutes supervisor is trundling in and grasping at straws to point out every conceivable way I could possibly be wrong or have hosed something up.

"I've seen this before when a network card dies. It's probably a bad network card somewhere."
"What made you think it was the ASR? Why would you even check that?"
"It's probably a virus"
"I've seen etherblasts before and this is probably an etherblast." (what)

He wants so hard for this to be my fault, or for me to have not actually diagnosed or fixed anything. He can't stand for something to be going on without him viciously rubbing his grubby hands all over it. Not to mention, everyone that was affected by this has been going by his office one by one and ragging on him for not answering his phone.

This poo poo waterfall has temporarily been redirected onto him, and gently caress yeah I'm going to enjoy it for what it's worth. But don't make the mistake of assuming I'm sitting here thinking that things are finally turning around for me.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Nice.

The guy is reaaaaaaaaaaaaally unstable sounding. Whole place sounds like a terrible high school.

I once had a network go down and had no idea why. Turns out a network card was partially broken and was just spamming the gently caress out of the network. So, maybe that's an etherblast?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

At least it's still better than HP-UX.
Something we can all agree on.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

KoRMaK posted:

Nice.

The guy is reaaaaaaaaaaaaally unstable sounding. Whole place sounds like a terrible high school.

I once had a network go down and had no idea why. Turns out a network card was partially broken and was just spamming the gently caress out of the network. So, maybe that's an etherblast?

Isn't that a packet storm? I've had a bad switch do that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

evol262 posted:

I'm just a simple country Oracle DBA - I haven't really touched Solaris in 5-6 years. My prod systems on are on AIX6, my NIM server and TSM library are on AIX7. I have a problem my admin can't handle and IBM's JET team engages - a TL a year or so ago introduced a bug in find when it was used on NFS mounts that caused it to fork forever, that was the last time I got pissed at IBM.

Where's AlexDeGruven when you need him?

• Locked thread