Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Slavvy posted:

Seeing stuff like this makes me wonder why people are always eyerolling at german engineering when the italians do it so much loving worse.

Also it probably has something to do with being a ferrari engine.

Because lay people expect that poo poo from the Italians and to their credit, Italians never claimed their cars were reliable or cheap to maintain.
Meanwhile, Top Gear fellates VW "build quality" and VW advertises "German Engineering."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What's this? Oh, a carrier out of a Dana 44 on a 1968 GMC truck. Let's look closer:

Um, I don't think that's supposed to look like that.

That either.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
From imgur:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Some dipshit on JRITS(reddit) said this lady was eating cereal and spilled it and welp :shrug:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Seeing stuff like this makes me wonder why people are always eyerolling at german engineering when the italians do it so much loving worse.

Also it probably has something to do with being a ferrari engine.

pretty sure it's because the germans are known for their "German Reliability" when really that's gone away because they make stupid crap like plastic that corrodes with coolant used as internal water jackets and crap.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

Italian cars have a sense of humour.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

tater_salad posted:

pretty sure it's because the germans are known for their "German Reliability" when really that's gone away because they make stupid crap like plastic that corrodes with coolant used as internal water jackets and crap.

All of this stuff is designed to be perfectly reliable for the life of the vehicle, which is approximately 1 month plus the standard warranty period.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Italian cars have a sense of humour.

Germans have a sense of humor, it's just the things they laugh at aren't funny.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

All of this stuff is designed to be perfectly reliable for the life of the vehicle, which is approximately 1 month plus the standard warranty period.

I think it also comes from the utilitarian nature of older german cars like the beetle.. I mean after my first successful rebuild, I could probably start with a Type1, and by the end of a weekend with he helping hands of 1 person, have the engine out, torn down, rebuilt and back in.. they use to be so bloody simple even a retard with a wrench could fix them (ME).. but now they have quadport multifire injectionplugs that are are controlled by an onboard comptuer under the drivers side fender matched to each plug and you need a special software suite to reprogram them.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Americans also don't really see Italian cars much outside of Lamborghinis while German cars are everywhere. If we had to deal with Alfas all the time, I'm guessing the haters would be all over the place.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maserati is surprisingly common where I'm at.. I actually see them more than Lambos and Ferrari. Ferrari is the least common by far, I guess the yuppies around here consider them passe.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

DiggityDoink posted:

Americans also don't really see Italian cars much outside of Lamborghinis while German cars are everywhere. If we had to deal with Alfas all the time, I'm guessing the haters would be all over the place.

I doubt those Fiat Dodge models are any better than actual Fiats or Alfas

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Every time I'm baffled by a VW design decision I remember the mantra a man named Klaus taught me, "Why make it simple when complicated will do?" and nod to myself because it suddenly makes sense.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

VW used to do it right. In the 60's you could do all standard maintenance with a 10mm socket, a 21mm box wrench, a flathead screwdriver, and a set of feeler gauges.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

xzzy posted:

VW used to do it right. In the 60's you could do all standard maintenance with a 10mm socket, a 21mm box wrench, a flathead screwdriver, and a set of feeler gauges.

You left out the 13mm socket and 17mm box end to pull the engine :colbert:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
All I need on for regular maintenance on my GTI is a 10 mm socket, torx bit, triple square bit, 17 mm wrench, 19 mm socket, 36 mm socket, 10 mm Allen driver, brake caliper tool (to turn the piston as it retracts), and a special tool to drain the oil out of the oil filter housing. :colbert:

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Yeah, and short triple square as well as long ones, and replacements for every. single. bolt.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Uthor posted:

All I need on for regular maintenance on my GTI is a 10 mm socket, torx bit, triple square bit, 17 mm wrench, 19 mm socket, 36 mm socket, 10 mm Allen driver, brake caliper tool (to turn the piston as it retracts), and a special tool to drain the oil out of the oil filter housing. :colbert:

My Scirocco came from the factory with a 13x10 open end wrench, a screwdriver with phillips and slotted ends, and a 17mm tire iron that is formed into a spark plug socket in the long end. One can take half the car apart with just that!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Uthor posted:

The GTI/A3 and it's 2.0L turbo is a strange island of sanity in the otherwise hosed up world of VAG cars.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

8ender posted:

The GTI/A3 and it's 2.0L turbo is a strange island of sanity in the otherwise hosed up world of VAG cars.

If six hour cambelts and headlight bumper removal are your idea of sanity yeah.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

dissss posted:

I doubt those Fiat Dodge models are any better than actual Fiats or Alfas

They're still new enough here that the major issues haven't come out of the woodwork, though to be fair I know nothing about modern Fiats. Not that it'll be hard to go from hating Chrysler to hating Fiat, though quality might actually be improved since Daimler is out of the picture.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Oct 16, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's not.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

DiggityDoink posted:

They're still new enough here that the major issues haven't come out of the woodwork, though to be fair I know nothing about modern Fiats. Not that it'll be hard to go from hating Chrysler to hating Fiat, though quality might actually be improved since Daimler is out of the picture.

Fiat has many qualities.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

DiggityDoink posted:

Ive said this in this thread before and I dont know about regular 500's but the 500L is a pile of poo poo. the one I worked on was leaking oil from the turbo at 20 some thousand miles. Looks needlessly complicated, rushed in its adaptation from a carrier van and nailed together in Serbia.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

General_Failure posted:

Fiat has many qualities.

Thank you for the comprehensive list

Actually I really kinda want to take one of the wee little 500s out to an autox or something and fling it around the course just to see what it's like. They look fun, like a Yaris.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My wife switched from learning to drive in a Corsa to a 500 and apparently they handle well.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Beach Bum posted:

Thank you for the comprehensive list

Really?

Fiat aren't really known as being the most reliable. I'm not sure what the process is but it feels like the person calling the shots is a madman and the designers are fairly competent. So at least the way I see them are bad ideas well implemented.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Dashing through the snow

In a recalled Chevrolet

Over the fields we go

Until our tie rods break

Balljoints disconnect,

Making front end shake,

What fun it is to die and scream.

In a recalled Chevrolet.

Ooohhhhh~

Dinging bells

Rotted wells

Shimmy all the way!

What fun it is to die and scream

in a recalled Chevrolet!

Bells and alarm chimes ring

Flashing service lights

Safety inspection means nothing

Bailout money's pretty tight

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 16, 2015

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

Geirskogul posted:

Dashing through the snow

In a recalled Chevrolet

Over the fields we go

Until our tie rods break

Balljoints disconnect,

Making front end shake,

What fun it is to die and scream.

In a recalled Chevrolet.

Bells and alarm chimes ring

Flashing service lights

Safety inspection means nothing

Bailout money's pretty tight

:golfclap:

I think we need to write an AI songbook.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

General_Failure posted:

Fiat has many qualities.

Fix it again tony.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50IgzksUqpQ

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

A job well done

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I'm not sure I'm seeing what is wrong here...

Slick
Jun 6, 2003
Brake caliper was twisted 2? revolutions kinking the line when it had an R&R. Missing the retention pin at the bracket to soft line adapter, But who really needs those? (they are a pain to get off)

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Yay for hood mechanics.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Friend of my mum has an original fiat 500 in a shed on her farm. I'm sort of half tempted to see what it would take for her to part with it...

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

EightBit posted:

I'm not sure I'm seeing what is wrong here...

A brake line that's well on its way to glorious failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

"transfer case issues"