Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Kavak posted:

Okay serious 40K question, why the hell would anyone worship Nurgle?

Khorne fits warrior-types like a glove, Tzeentch offers power and knowledge, and Slaanesh is literally made of sex, drugs, and rock and roll, but Nurgle is the god of rot, disease, and basically everything unpleasant. I guess that's why he made Nurgle's Rot- he can't get many worshipers any other way.
Nurgle is about surrendering to despair and inevitability and rejoicing in it. It's a little more convoluted than the others which is why most of his worshipers seem to start off just wanting to not die/wanting a magic cure, then they get a new perspective once their lives are saved. He's like a disease-focused version of the Crippled God from the Malazan books. Your hideousness makes you awesome, your weakness is strength, your pain is a lovely prezzie. Daddy Nurgle doesn't want to make you hot poo poo champion guy, he loves your disgusting flaws. :shrek:

e: this is why they say Nurgle's strength and worshiper count fluctuates more than the others'. People turn to him when everything goes to poo poo due to plague/famine, so when everything's cool he's not attracting new worshipers, but when the pseudo black death hits your village/planet it's all aboard the pustulant party wagon.

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Kavak posted:

Khorne fits warrior-types like a glove, Tzeentch offers power and knowledge, and Slaanesh is literally made of sex, drugs, and rock and roll, but Nurgle is the god of rot, disease, and basically everything unpleasant. I guess that's why he made Nurgle's Rot- he can't get many worshipers any other way.

can you not think of any situation in which someone would pray for endurance

because that's pretty much where Nurgle fits

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

can you not think of any situation in which someone would pray for endurance

because that's pretty much where Nurgle fits

I thought that was Khorne. I guess I don't get praying to him to stop things that he delights in and causes.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
This entire forum is fodder for nurgle.

Why else would there be the pervasive goon animosity for things that sound slaaneshy.

Kingdom death is literally the product of an enemy chaos god. We hate it because our god hates it. We love scrunts and misshapen foam carvings.

I mean, look at this thread. And its icon.

Man. The more I think about it, the truer it seems.

Kavak posted:

I thought that was Khorne. I guess I don't get praying to him to stop things that he delights in and causes.

Chaos Gods aren't cafeterias where you ask for something from their menu. They're unknowable reflections of sentient faults and urges. Khorne is violence. You don't pray to him because you want to be a good warrior. If you are a crazy murderous psychopath, then his nature will begin to infuse you. Endurance is like... That's a DnD stat.

Nurgle is what the other guys said. You don't pray to him, you get so desperate you'll do anything--debase yourself and give up on your principles, completely--in the pursuit of vain hope. Because you're afraid of death.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 14, 2015

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

This entire forum is fodder for nurgle.

Why else would there be the pervasive goon animosity for things that sound slaaneshy.

Kingdom death is literally the product of an enemy chaos god. We hate it because our god hates it. We love scrunts and misshapen foam carvings.

I mean, look at this thread. And its icon.

Man. The more I think about it, the truer it seems.

This makes way too much sense.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Endurance is like... That's a DnD stat.

Nurgle is what the other guys said. You don't pray to him, you get so desperate you'll do anything--debase yourself and give up on your principles, completely--in the pursuit of vain hope. Because you're afraid of death.

i mean if you don't see that "pray for endurance" is a similar sort of situation to "getting so desperate you'll do anything" then we can slapfight over semantics, i guess

but nurgle is not about vain hope or fear of death; those are just routes to him

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Nurgle is the god of life. It's just you are one person and there are a ton of super AIDs that can fit into your body.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

but nurgle is not about vain hope or fear of death; those are just routes to him

LordAba posted:

Nurgle is the god of life. It's just you are one person and there are a ton of super AIDs that can fit into your body.

It always disturbs me that bringing up the nature of fantasy gods provokes immediate disagreements just like religions where people think something is at stake.

I call for freedom to worship chaos undivided as well as separation of chaos and thread.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

It always disturbs me that bringing up the nature of fantasy gods provokes immediate disagreements just like religions where people think something is at stake.

I call for freedom to worship chaos undivided as well as separation of chaos and thread.

Menoth's Fury can't melt steel beams.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

When I was 16, Nurgle was the most awesomest because it was gross as heck. Gross was the best. It's exactly the same motivation that leads a boy to put a slug in his sister's sock, or to make jokes about poop.

I don't think that necessarily explains why in-universe people would seek out Nurgle but that's because Nurgle seeks out you, because you're a fat disgusting sack of poo poo and you've given up trying to clean yourself up. Your smelly folds of flab repel every other person you encounter every day, but you can still find that safe place in your friendly local game store where people tolerate your stink because hey, they gotta play Warhammer with someone, and you're always there, you have an encyclopedic knowledge of the game, and the fact everyone tolerates you makes the rest of the crowd feel pretty secure about themselves. You're gross but you're amiable and easy-going and you have six different fully-painted armies and from four feet across the table, the reek doesn't really make your eyes water too bad.

Nurgle embraces you because nobody else will, and papa nurgle loves us all, including the 90% of the cells in our bodies that aren't human cells.

Nurgle's guys are the only guys in all of Warhammer who are universally happy. All of them. They're past the point of worry or even pain. They're loved, and they want you to know that you're loved too, especially by their parasites.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 15, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Nurgle is the easiest god to worship too. All you have to do is be sick and not die

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
I always liked Nurgle the most. Its fun to paint stuff that is super gross. Plague marines owned, noise marines...not so much (for me).

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Oh God, this is what I was afraid/knew was going to happen with Nurgle chat.

Kavak posted:

And now you know: nihilism, wanting to feel cool about it, hygiene issues. There's no personal in-universe force that could reverse, rebuke or subvert Nurgle's poo poo because you can always go "we'll just infect in the end/entropy will get it". With Nurgle, you're never wrong or vulnerable. Even if it's eternal rolling in your own poo poo being so rotten you can't even feel pain. That's where your T5 and FNP comes from. In comparison to that, how can 5+/6+ invuln or more attacks or whatever Khorne gives you stack up?

Plus, bug chasers exist in the real world, might be some in 40K, too.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Leperflesh posted:

Nurgle's guys are the only guys in all of Warhammer who are universally happy.

Maybe, but the Orks are certainly the ones having all the fun.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

To force a metaphor, imagine chaos as something radically right free market stuff.

So you're an individual. God-Emperor and Administratum/Obama and gubmint are distant and impersonal, and sometimes they do things that you don't believe are in your best interest. You might even run into a corrupt official - shock of all shocks, massive organizations have people less than dedicated to its cause. You might even think that the government is stifling your potential or siphoning your resources or something.

And then you find some forbidden old tome that's wrapped in skin (Atlas Shrugged) or you hear some apostate/heretic/motivational speaker preach, or perhaps experience a Chaos invasion/Donald Trump campaign rally. Holy poo poo, that guy has it right! He knows how you feels! He whispers into your ears promises of tangible power! He's someone big and successful who agrees, that the Corpse-God/Man and weaklings/Mexicans are holding you down! Of course you're down with his poo poo, you're an individual who's worthy of money/power.

So they worship and rebel/worship and support legislation. Millions are just insane masses who have no chance, but really believe they can go great. A few do reach places of power/money because they see no trouble in sacrificing others/slashing wages.

Those guys go on to write an another skin-bound tome/establish Ayn Rand foundation.

In this comparison, free sovereigns are Sons of Malice or something.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Found this jewel-like object

quote:

What is it? Who knows! But it frightens us! Sculpted inhouse by Ben

Thanks Ben.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Sauron's indiscretions during his youth came back as STDs.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

I **think** That's supposed to be a elder thing from the cthulhu mythos. Starfish shaped at both ends with a barrel like barrel.
I think I just lost San.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

That is an anorexic Elder Thing quintuple amputee

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Pretty sure that's an echidna penis

enrious
Jan 22, 2015
There's no way I'd touch it - no telling where it's been.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

enrious posted:

There's no way I'd touch it - no telling where it's been.

Unknowable realms!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well the whole website seems dedicated to cthulhu stuff.

And literal space men.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
its a life size scrunt dick

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Tastes like one too

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
That one seems ok to me. Suitably Orky and it would look sweet when painted.

The only problem is that it's made from at least three super-expensive kits.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Horrible conversions are always made from super expensive kits. I guess people who have money also think they're good painters/modelers.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Those arms look so weedy

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I think if we apply Ostrich Logic, we'll find that this robot's feet are inferior in design to the stomper, standard dreadnought, *and* god's plan.

Or are those the dreadknight feet? I forget if those are weird or just coincidentally 3 toed.

Nope. Has a heel.
This Robot May Pass.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I think if we apply Ostrich Logic, we'll find that this robot's feet are inferior in design to the stomper, standard dreadnought, *and* god's plan.

Or are those the dreadknight feet? I forget if those are weird or just coincidentally 3 toed.

Nope. Has a heel.
This Robot May Pass.

I like this pose. It's the "Just about to do an overhead smash but got stabbed through the heart slow forward fall instead".

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Here are some cool dudes

Here's a cool Tiki-man

Here's a cool confused Treeman

Here are some cool gremlin gangers for Necromunda

Here's a cool... Look I don't know what is going on with this guy.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

thats the next iteration of hardchest

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Muta Man from Smash TV

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Here are some cool dudes

Kakophon destroyer, the early years

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lord Hypnostache posted:

IIRc it's a tekron from the 1ed of Warzone, a mine for bad/silly minis like the Ezoghoul:

Oh holy poo poo there were more of them :stare:

Not like many human minis were better:

Bonus for the hair:

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

Muta Man from Smash TV

That was MUTOID Man, get your facts straight

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 22, 2015

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pierzak posted:

IIRc it's a tekron from the 1ed of Warzone, a mine for bad/silly minis like the Ezoghoul:

Oh holy poo poo there were more of them :stare:

Bonus for the hair:

That was MUTOID Man, get your facts straight

I'm sorry, but these own.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Phoon posted:

thats the next iteration of hardchest

BRING ME THE LITTLE ONE

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm sorry, but these own.

That's why I added the "silly". They had a distinct style that went out of vogue. Kinda like Chronopia is so :black101: despite simple minis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Those Ezoghouls would look incredible battling a wizard on the side of a van.