Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Cleretic posted:

It's not that he's 'forgotten everything', it's that he doesn't really give a poo poo how people see him. He's more interested in figuring things out and getting things done than seeming friendly while he does it.

'Mild autism' is a valid interpretation of him, and it's one I like just because it means a positive portrayal of an autistic person, but there's more ways about that, more types of people that can care but find it more useful to just not. Last season brought up 'military officer', people around here have put forward 'professor with tenure', this season seems to have grabbed onto 'aging rocker' and rolled with it.

No he literally forgot, you saw the cards with responses right? He literally doesnt know how emotions or humans work but they try to show it in some weird trying hard to be light way that falls really flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You know, Sim's Master is not bad at all, quite good actually. Its just the stories around him are really poor. I guess the Sound of Drums starts out okay, but it slides into the worst kind of RTD weirdness. Decent music choices though.

Though one thing that's confused me for years is it sounds like the Master shows up as Saxon and says "i'm running for PM!" Which you can't really do in a parliamentary system. He'd need to be first join a party, then be elected head of that party, then that party had to win a majority of seats in parliament. I guess he could start his own party, but its never said in script.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think they did imply he started hia own party, yeah. Votes wouldn't be a problem, with the mind control and all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm just gonna assume that when Matt Smith was born he was like 90% nose and he's slowly grown into it over time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Saxon was Minister for Defence in a previous government too.

Dabir posted:

I think they did imply he started hia own party, yeah. Votes wouldn't be a problem, with the mind control and all.

Yeah, the implication was that he was massively popular and MPs left their other parties to join his.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Saxon was Minister for Defence in a previous government too.

Yeah, the implication was that he was massively popular and MPs left their other parties to join his.

That makes more sense. Also I realized the last shot of the woman picking up his ring is pretty much the same shot from the end of Flash Gordon.

Hearing that John Hurt is not going to die soon made me want to watch his episode, and sadly its not on Canadian Netflix. Everything from the current series is there save that episode. And its really glaring because it goes ep 14 then skips to 16.

I really like that idea that Capaldi's doctor is ageing rocker. It's an interesting idea to have the first in a new series of Regenerations being a character who is trying to defy aging, and be cool and youthful when he's not.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If I recall correctly, it's outright stated so. Just before he gasses them all to death he says something like,"The moment you saw the way the opinion polls were going and that I was going to win, you all abandoned your parties and rushed to join me."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It's a page back, but that NY bar sounds like my personal version of hell. Steampunkers should be fired from a cannon into the sun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's a page back, but that NY bar sounds like my personal version of hell. Steampunkers should be fired from a cannon into the sun.

I sure do miss the days when nerds had to be ashamed of their fandom and risked physical harm if they came out of their basements.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

I sure do miss the days when nerds had to be ashamed of their fandom and risked physical harm if they came out of their basements.

:chanpop:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oh come on man, that was clearly sarcasm directed at his post.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

The thing about steampunk is that it's at the bottom of the nerd food chain. Actual steam engine nuts get annoyed at the mechanical and historical inaccuracy of it all. And fans of other -punk genres get annoyed because it focuses on the upper classes and not the downtrodden living in a grimy dystopia.

Makes me wonder if there's potential out there for a book that puts both the steam and the punk back into steampunk.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
This is the best doctor but the worst writing. gently caress this season. Doctor who needs to stop being on TV, it's awful. Here's Dr. Who:

-Terrible poo poo happens
-It looks worse
-Dr who talks to the enemy a lot and the enemy doesn't shoot him/get violent with him for some lovely dumb reason
-in the one in twenty time that they get violent, he planned for it all along and it helps him or he at least has a lovely shield or something that you've never heard of before
-the doctor makes up a new rule about how regeneration/tardis/screwdriver/timey wimey works, and uses that to foil the enemy's plot
-end of episode, some extras probably died along the way.

At least mcguyver made sense, and the A-team were able to make some kind of tank out of garbage cans or whatever. Doctor who just pulls poo poo out of his rear end.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

redreader posted:

Doctor who just pulls poo poo out of his rear end.

"Dr. Who isn't a scientist. He's a wizard."
/

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Paul.Power posted:

The thing about steampunk is that it's at the bottom of the nerd food chain. Actual steam engine nuts get annoyed at the mechanical and historical inaccuracy of it all. And fans of other -punk genres get annoyed because it focuses on the upper classes and not the downtrodden living in a grimy dystopia.

Makes me wonder if there's potential out there for a book that puts both the steam and the punk back into steampunk.

Ask a Steampunk fan about the horrible inequities in Victorian society, plus the racism and sexism and all kinds of terrible things, and watch them get really mad, because they've convinced themselves that it was actually a time of men acting as gentlemen and ladies acting like their pets. That or they look at you blank because they just got into it to stick gears on things and wear goggles on tophats.

Jerusalem posted:

If I recall correctly, it's outright stated so. Just before he gasses them all to death he says something like,"The moment you saw the way the opinion polls were going and that I was going to win, you all abandoned your parties and rushed to join me."

Yea, it really sounds like Saxon was the only one running. he could just have joined Labour and took it over, and they just don't mention it to avoid anyone getting upset suggesting the leader of a real party was evil. Though the Master wishes he had control over the party on the level Stephen Harper has here in Canada.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

How is this cannon powered?

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

MrL_JaKiri posted:

How is this cannon powered?

There is no agreed upon Dr. Who cannon. :colbert:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ThaGhettoJew posted:

There is no agreed upon Dr. Who cannon. :colbert:

Disagree http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Loose_Cannon_Productions

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

:swoon:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh wow, that was him in his Live & Kicking days.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 15, 2015

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Finally a picture of John Barrowman my wife doesn't have on her screensaver.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

CobiWann posted:

Finally a picture of John Barrowman my wife doesn't have on her screensaver.

Add it. There's no such thing as too much John Barrowman.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Yes, you are technically correct. The best kind of correct.

Kilo147 posted:

Add it. There's no such thing as too much John Barrowman.

I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry, but TORCHWOOD.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Yes, you are technically correct. The best kind of correct.

I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry, but TORCHWOOD.

Hah! I never watched it, so I guess that makes me the victor?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Though one thing that's confused me for years is it sounds like the Master shows up as Saxon and says "i'm running for PM!" Which you can't really do in a parliamentary system. He'd need to be first join a party, then be elected head of that party, then that party had to win a majority of seats in parliament. I guess he could start his own party, but its never said in script.

Since I was an A-level politics student (i.e. a complete twunt) at the time, that irritated me more than it should have. You can excuse it with mind control, and maybe consider the context (I may have my dates wrong but I believe there was a lot of whinging about Gordon Brown being an "unelected prime minister" in the press around the time).

Still not as bothersome as Not George Bush being called "President-elect" because RTD apparently didn't bother looking up what that term actually means.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

redreader posted:

This is the best doctor but the worst writing. gently caress this season. Doctor who needs to stop being on TV, it's awful. Here's Dr. Who:

-Terrible poo poo happens
-It looks worse
-Dr who talks to the enemy a lot and the enemy doesn't shoot him/get violent with him for some lovely dumb reason
-in the one in twenty time that they get violent, he planned for it all along and it helps him or he at least has a lovely shield or something that you've never heard of before
-the doctor makes up a new rule about how regeneration/tardis/screwdriver/timey wimey works, and uses that to foil the enemy's plot
-end of episode, some extras probably died along the way.

At least mcguyver made sense, and the A-team were able to make some kind of tank out of garbage cans or whatever. Doctor who just pulls poo poo out of his rear end.

Ah yes...because every single episode of Doctor Who needs to follow the exact same formula, else it it not real Doctor Who.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

Ah yes...because every single episode of Doctor Who needs to follow the exact same formula, else it it not real Doctor Who.

hes saying it does and is bad

hes not wrong though+ the past few seasons have been super wanky and theres a lot of pandering going on, saying "oh but everyone watches online now" to cover up falling ratings is just lying to yourself.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Oct 15, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
That is literally why overnight ratings have gone down though. Figures that factor in time shifting with DVR or watching online show that the show is doing pretty much just as good as it has been.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Kilo147 posted:

Hah! I never watched it, so I guess that makes me the victor?

I envy you in ways that are hard to articulate. Although to be fair the 5-episode Children of Earth mini-season was decent and has both Capaldi and a rare live-action Nick Briggs in it.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Sure
Loosely defining events in any episode does make it easy to make it sound all the same

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

jivjov posted:

That is literally why overnight ratings have gone down though. Figures that factor in time shifting with DVR or watching online show that the show is doing pretty much just as good as it has been.

No it isn't. Everything in this post deals in final numbers with timeshifted viewing included.

Matt Smith's tenure had a pretty consistent final ratings average of about 7.5 million, with individual episodes mostly coming in at somewhere between 8.5 and 6.5 million (it was also less volatile than the Tennant years, which could see numbers jumping wildly from 10 million to just over 5 million in the same year). Capaldi's first year only got over 7.5 million as a peak for the first and last episodes, and this year it's looking like the high is 6.5 for the opening episode and everything else is going to be sub-6 million. The audience shares are also leaking from 30-35% down to 20-25%, so it's not like there's fewer people watching TV.

In line with this, the show's also sliding alarmingly in the weekly charts. For the second week in a row (Under the Lake's final rating is 5.63 million) it's slid out of the weekly top 20 (in years gone by it was more normally found on the edges of the top 10, bringing in numbers similar to those currently watching Doctor Foster and Doc Martin), and never mind beaten by Emmerdale, Under the Lake nearly got beaten by the sodding Antiques Roadshow. Big tentpole dramas should not be grubbing around at the level of the Antiques Roadshow. Just about the only good news for Under the Lake is that it did manage to put on enough timeshifted viewers to beat Casualty to 3rd place for Saturday; the daily chart is one of the few places (along with the Appreciation Index) where things are "as you were" from previous years.

Like it or not, the simple facts are that under RTD the numbers trended gently upwards; under GMS they held more-or-less steady for Matt Smith and are now dropping off gently for Peter Capaldi. There's still the chance of a mid-season rebound now that England are out of the RWC, or alternatively after the tournament ends, but I'm skeptical about that. If you want to check this for yourself, you can pull the numbers from Wikipedia, A Brief History of Time (Travel), or the Doctor Who News Page.

As I've been saying, there's no Doctor in Distress just yet, next year's series is already bought and paid for, and we're not in "sack everyone and change everything!" territory; but as a general principle, declining numbers is only a good sign if you're Michael Grade.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

redreader posted:

Have you considered just not watching it? I mean, I loathe gotham but I'm cool just not watching it, and the people who for some bizarre reason enjoy it can continue to watch their awful show. Like if you hate current who enough to want it cancelled entirely then no-one is forcing you to waste an hour of your saturday on a show you hate*. If you hear its changed into something more like a show you would enjoy you can always catch up anything you miss, or come back here and someone will recommend what episodes you *need* to watch to understand the new status quo or whatever. I'm up and down on capaldis doctor so far, there are episodes I like and episodes I dont, but if I found myself consistantly that angry about the show I'd walk away from it and never look back.

*Unless they are. If they are and you need us to send help then "accidently" double post. We'll know what you mean.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Do any of these "the show's dyin', Cloud!" posts factor in the bucketloads of merch this show sells?
It's still BBC's big international hit, they're not taking it off the air anytime soon unless they suddenly have a collective brain aneurysm.

I mean sure, you can not like or agree with the direction the show has taken. (Hating on Doctor Who yet watching it anyway is a time-honored tradition, after all) Pointing to the declining viewer figures doesn't support that case, though. It's still overwhelmingly successful as populist entertainment.

misadventurous fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 15, 2015

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Question – as a Doctor Who fan, should I give Rick and Morty a go?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Question – as a Doctor Who fan, should I give Rick and Morty a go?

Yes

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

How else will you learn how Plumbuses are made?

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

I finally started to read The Writers Tale and it's insane how many of RTD's ideas were just pulled completely out of the blue in five seconds flat.

Also it's made me like the guy a lot more and realize how much stuff that people didn't like was down to budget.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

People who are keenly interested in a show are going to watch that poo poo asap. People who are just watching it to fill time are going to watch it later (ie, online), when they need to fill time. If the ratings were equal but more and more people were watching it later and later after it came out, its a sign people are losing interest. In Dr Whos case, its just flat losing viewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

People who are keenly interested in a show are going to watch that poo poo asap. People who are just watching it to fill time are going to watch it later (ie, online), when they need to fill time.

There's an argument to be made that the opposite is true, surely? People watching just to fill time [on Saturday evening] will watch it live, whereas people who actively want to watch it will watch it preferentially, subsequently, over whatever is on at the time.

• Locked thread