Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Taffer posted:

ents are the best and are why i will always love witchery

people ALWAYS freak the gently caress out and it will never get old

Wolpertinger has been doing some digging and found some EVIL poo poo you can do with Witchery.

Like, you know those screaming Mandrake babies you get? With a little ingenuity you can carpet bomb people with them from afar. With a blood sample and an owl familiar you can deliver items to people, and Witchery's potion brewing system is incredibly power and flexible - you can make a splash potion that will till soil, plant seeds, bonemeal the seeds to maturity, then harvest them.

I'm sure you can see where this is going - have your owl "deliver" someone a stack of Mandrake seeds, then "deliver" a till+plant+grow+harvest bomb potion to make their life erupt in screaming plant babies.

Witchery is honestly just rife with cool stuff. You can do rituals to empower a Witch's Hand with one of a few different sets of powers, and my personal favorite is the one that gives you a bunch of teleportation related powers (Infusion of Otherwhere). You can teleport around, teleport up into the air, teleport people around, and best of all, teleport yourself and a target victim up into the air. Make a TiCon frying pan with paper and thaumium parts, stuff as many piston upgrades into it as you can, then grab and yank yourself and your victim up into the air, switch to the pan, deliver an atomic suplex, then teleport back to the ground.

Magres fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Bhodi posted:

Bonemeal for botania. I forget what they are called, but they're green bonemeal. I had just got 1/4th the yield I should have because I only dropped them on a single dirt block, thinking they were like bonemeal. (Floral Fertilizer)

Oh okay. They produce flowers in a radius similar to bonemeal. They also produce the same number of flowers every time, so if spots are occupied it will put the flowers wherever it can. If you only have a 3x3 area they'll spawn very close together, which is convenient, but you won't be able to use more than two fertilizer before being forced to harvest. If you have a pasture, you can spam the fertilizer and collect a whole bunch all at once.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

You know what would be a way better mechanic? A disposable/one-shot charging mechanic that takes way more power/resources than a charger. At least as a side option to finding charged certus quartz. I once literally had a stack of diamonds before I found my first charged certus, and once you get one you're set on them because you can just charge normal quartz.
Let us skip the whole hunt by supercharging regular quartz at a one-time exorbitant gate fee.

e: This was mostly mining in ravines and the like, I had about 4 stacks of regular certus too.

So do it like the AE Singularity - which you can never make on any server as they all ban TNT and Tiny TNT for griefing

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Taffer posted:

ents are the best and are why i will always love witchery

people ALWAYS freak the gently caress out and it will never get old

And then you have the Angelas …

The curses were bad enough, but drat the Angelas to hell.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
So I'm pretty far into a game in FTB Monster (Old, I know, 1.6)

I've never really done anything at all with Thaumcraft. Everyone seems to love it but I'm not really sure why. I get that there's progression and it's a magic mod, but I really have no idea what kind of stuff I can do with it and haven't been able to find any good videos that just show a bunch of cool stuff without huge long tutorials to fast forward through.

Is anyone able to list a bunch of the cool stuff you can do with it or link a video that summarises it? Thanks in advance!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Is there any kind of command to safely shut down a server? I don't like just closing the command line window for it, it makes me twitchy

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Magres posted:

Is there any kind of command to safely shut down a server? I don't like just closing the command line window for it, it makes me twitchy

I believe the command is "stop".

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Oh my God.

http://blog.asie.pl/a-tale-of-joules.html
He actually replied to us.

quote:

EDIT (15/10/2015): Apparently SomethingAwful got around to my post. Sadly, as all my information from SomethingAwful comes from external, anonymous sources, I can only reply here.

@Bhodi - Yes, "easy to use with no annoying side effects" is irresistible. I mean, who uses theharder thing in a modpack? They only use it if it offers a distinct advantage, and power creep and the ever-increasing rate of both RF generation and consumption is something almost every mod developer complains about, including KingLemming.

@Glory of Arioch - RailCraft is actually quite enjoyed for its cart automation which nobody quite got right. Forestry less so, as many people just replace it with MFR or something - but the SMP trade system is something to beat.

@Sage Grimm - >mentions multiple mods I'd miss on MJ >you clearly never cared.

@Taffer - It might be, because I changed my mind on some things after testing them. If you monitored the BC releases, 7.1.3 added the pulsating system and 7.1.4 removed it again during the beta development process.

@Khorne - It makes some sense, because implementing packets on RF is not very possible as most machines limit RF/t, not RF/p. This would cause problems with mod interoperability.

Proudly powered by Pelican, which takes great advantage of Python.

If I wasn't at work id write up a reply back, but gently caress it I'll do it when I'm off.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

StealthArcher posted:

Oh my God.

http://blog.asie.pl/a-tale-of-joules.html
He actually replied to us.

If I wasn't at work id write up a reply back, but gently caress it I'll do it when I'm off.

This made me laugh: https://twitter.com/asiekierka/status/654521862056226816

He also stopped by the dev channel on IRC & we chatted:
http://pastebin.com/LahtbF9M

A couple things you should understand about asie is he's 17 & a product of chan culture so sometimes he says poo poo he doesn't mean to test boundaries and see reactions. The other thing is he doesn't think much about design but has a generalized sense when something's off and will just say poo poo and see how it goes. See also: his cult of kitteh poo poo that created a hilarious dramatic reaction on ftb reddit.

I agree with him, in a generalized way, that RF is kind of a problem. It was supposed to be this one power system for TE, which worked for TE, and fit KL's sensibilities (which include, power is a dumb abstraction we use to power machines and the details don't matter from a gameplay perspective, also performance uber alles), and so it doesn't really have things like game mechanics or whatever, it's just here's some machines that make the poo poo Come Out and here's some machines that Use The poo poo. It's fine for A Power System, but it was also the only power system that didn't have a ton of stupid bullshit associated with it, so now it's The Power System. That's great for a lot of mods, but there's basically no other options now or interesting things to try or really anyone trying new things with electrical power and that really sucks a lot. I'd like New Cool Stuff to get made and it's not happening because everyone's afraid that if they don't just use RF, nobody's going to play their thing.

I don't know if that's really justified. Power Converters is still a real thing that exists, and idiots like me keep putting railcraft or whatever into modpacks, inexplicably, I think we'll be ok. I think modders are so tied up in this idea of a tyrannical playerbase aggressively enforcing the dreaded power creep that nobody's ever stopped to think about what would happen if they just made a thing that was fun and didn't worry so deeply about the ecosystem or the "community" or their place in it. Asie (and Vazkii, since we were talking about her recently) has bought into that real hard but maybe I'll beat him around the head and face long enough that he'll stop and make a fun thing.

Anyway, hi asie! You can do it, I believe in ya buddy.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
There have been other power systems made (Progress or Omp i had one that revolved around water/wind mills), but they're sometimes not intuitive or buggy. Blightfall was put together with nearly all power generation disabled (with Big Reactors as a concession for late-game power) so we were forced to figure out how to power machines with Botania mana. Hell I've played through Regrowth which has BC as it's main (or only?? been a while) power generation. They were all fine experiences in their own right and fairly popular ones if I don't miss my guess.

That was a good talk, 30.5 days.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Sage Grimm posted:

There have been other power systems made (Progress or Omp i had one that revolved around water/wind mills), but they're sometimes not intuitive or buggy. Blightfall was put together with nearly all power generation disabled (with Big Reactors as a concession for late-game power) so we were forced to figure out how to power machines with Botania mana. Hell I've played through Regrowth which has BC as it's main (or only?? been a while) power generation. They were all fine experiences in their own right and fairly popular ones if I don't miss my guess.

That was a good talk, 30.5 days.

Big reactors, Botania, and BC in regrowth are all RF, though.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Botania has a converter to RF, I wouldn't say it runs on RF. And it does pulsing via packets rather than a steady stream over time which BC was originally. I'll give you the others, though; generators and pipes are fairly interchangeable with no huge difference in how they're laid out. Railcraft steam boilers?

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 15, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Sage Grimm posted:

Botania has a converter to RF, I wouldn't say it runs on RF. And it does pulsing via packets rather than a steady stream over time which BC was originally. I'll give you the others, though; generators and pipes are fairly interchangeable with no huge difference in how they're laid out. Railcraft steam boilers?

Yeah, it does it with pulses, but once it hits the network it acts like RF acts, which is sort of like a viscous kind of fluid sludging through the conduits. Railcraft steam boilers are a unique power system (although ironically works very similar to RF because it is actually a liquid), and EU is totally different but is not very well-used.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

An electrical power systems mod where you have to worry about voltage and amps for certain parts of your network would be pretty cool. Oh this control bus runs on 24V direct current, gotta put in a transformer or it'll blow up. High-voltage power lines for long transmissions etc. I'm an electrician so it would be the coolest poo poo, contrary to the nuclear engineer guy I don't mind taking work into my games :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

If Minecraft chunks weren't so lovely I'd love to see high voltage power lines dotting the landscape, transmitting power to outlying bases.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Asie, only $10 to join the cool kids. Essay incoming!

It's not about power creep, as that can generally be adjusted in a config file. it's about integrating a potential mod into a host of others without breaking or ruining the balance. It's about the lack of bullshit and drama when your mod rubs up against a neighbor.

More than anything else though, its about modpack and other mod authors who have to deal with integration and are trying to create a unified experience for the player.

Like it or not, this is the era of mod packs. The only people playing modded minecraft are doing it from a launcher. "Power" is more like a stdlib for other mods to use than a player mod itself, and so it absolutely must fit usage criteria. No one wants to use a lovely library or API, they're going to pick the more popular and well-written one. No one wants to deal with obtuse usage rules or interactions, and mods that have it are generally discarded for mods that don't.

It's the mod authors you are trying to market to, and every single one has a strong opinion about game balance in their mod. It's not about the players at all. It's about mod authors now. They are the arbiters. As a mod gets more adoption, it becomes the "universal" one in the space - not on the basis of being stronger in-game, but on ease of integration.

Every modpack has JABBA. Why? Because it fits all the criteria. It just works. It accepts and emits all items using most common mods from any side. It's entire instruction manual is "is a chest, but you right click to items in, left to take out, and crouch click to lock item type". It can be built 3 minutes after you start a new map from the most basic of materials. It has no weird interactions, it doesn't explode, stop working for any reason, require sunlight, move around when you aren't looking at it, require a production chain or exotic materials. It doesn't take center stage, works well with others, and so people quietly add it into their packs instead of complaining that being able to hold an infinite number of an item in one square is completely overpowered. Which it is, obviously. Crazily so. But so what? It makes the game more fun.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Demiurge4 posted:

An electrical power systems mod where you have to worry about voltage and amps for certain parts of your network would be pretty cool. Oh this control bus runs on 24V direct current, gotta put in a transformer or it'll blow up. High-voltage power lines for long transmissions etc. I'm an electrician so it would be the coolest poo poo, contrary to the nuclear engineer guy I don't mind taking work into my games :v:
Well I'm a computer guy and I feel like everyone would LOVE the idea of routers. We can call them... controllers. Oh and they have a bunch of limited ports so let's limit connections to 8 devices. Oh unless you have 10A gig fiber which uses a different cable, so of course wireless is possible but every transmission has to have a port if you will and item types are separated and...

Hey, where are you going? Why does everyone hate my idea and want thing to be more simple? Oh because not everyone wants to get a college-loving-degree to play my mod

KISS

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bhodi posted:

Well I'm a computer guy and I feel like everyone would LOVE the idea of routers. We can call them... controllers. Oh and they have a bunch of limited ports so let's limit connections to 8 devices. Oh unless you have 10A gig fiber which uses a different cable, so of course wireless is possible but every transmission has to have a port if you will and item types are separated and...

Hey, where are you going? Why does everyone hate my idea and want thing to be more simple? Oh because not everyone wants to get a college-loving-degree to play my mod

KISS

It's okay guy, I know it'd suck for the majority of players. I think however that minecraft can be a tool for educating children in advanced real life concepts that will better prepare them for college. An entire generation of kids play Minecraft, if they can be taught concepts like electrical engineering before they hit puberty think of the advantages to them when they reach adulthood.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Demiurge4 teaches ohms law is the new Mavis bacon teaches typing?

Hmm.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Teaching people the foundation of stuff and "how to learn" that kind of thing is a nice motivation to do modding, wasn't that basically what the Quantum theory mod was inspired by? That was a cool mod. :unsmith:

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Demiurge4 posted:

It's okay guy, I know it'd suck for the majority of players. I think however that minecraft can be a tool for educating children in advanced real life concepts that will better prepare them for college. An entire generation of kids play Minecraft, if they can be taught concepts like electrical engineering before they hit puberty think of the advantages to them when they reach adulthood.

If you introduce a real world concept and mechanic as a gameplay element, and don't find a way to make it fun and engaging in any way, then it won't teach anything because everyone will ignore it. Dan200's Computercraft? Cheap to build, fun, powerful. Concepts build on concepts and you can eventually design crazy things with it that are fun to show off.

Do you really see a way to do this with ohm's law without winding up with something as bullshit as Eloraam's original RedPower power system?

edit:

Thyrork posted:

Teaching people the foundation of stuff and "how to learn" that kind of thing is a nice motivation to do modding, wasn't that basically what the Quantum theory mod was inspired by? That was a cool mod. :unsmith:

qCraft. Also Dan200, I believe.

So I guess the answer is, convince Dan to make an Ohm's Law mod. :-)

EricFate fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 15, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It could work, except your quest book would have to be a text book, it wouldn't just work as a mod you slap in and where to abstract and where not to is just murder. I feel like minecraft maybe isn't the right tool.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I was thinking adventure maps as challenges to overcome. Similar to how The Incredible Machine played when I was a kid. Introduce basic concepts, build a machine and make the player fix faults with an HQM book for reference.

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

And if you pick up a machine without a wrench it breaks into just a machine block. And it also breaks into a machine block 1 time in 10 if you use a wrench, unless you use an electric wrench, in which case it still breaks into a machine block 1 time in 10 unless you change the mode of the electric wrench.

Did anyone ever use the high-voltage lines in IC2? Everyone I know converted to glass fiber lines asap - usually progressing to those from copper.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Your Lottery posted:

Did anyone ever use the high-voltage lines in IC2? Everyone I know converted to glass fiber lines asap - usually progressing to those from copper.

yeah, they had a niche case for moving lots of power (1024 EU/t usually) over long distances

or if you used them without insulation in the walls to your base they acted as a bug zapper for players :xd:

i remember having to use a mining laser to sever an uninsulated HV wire some mongo had used to wire his reactor to his base that killed like four people

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I can't believe that we've reached the point in the modding life cycle where people are beginning to forget that the reason we moved away from the Old Way of doing power wasn't that it was slightly complicated but that it was just straight up completely loving unfun.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

and yeah it's fine to have your own unique power system and everything but you can never expect it to win a popularity contest against something that is easier to understand and isn't a giant pile when it comes to performance

also jesus christ pipes and machines exploding is terrible what is wrong with you

failure states for a thing not working properly is fine but goddamn it shouldn't explode and take your infrastructure with it

back in the dark ages when buildcraft was the only game in town i'd log in to see huge craters in my base where entire refineries and combustion engines had been, because the stupid loving pump managed to exhaust a 3x3 water pool somehow or i'd made the fatal mistake of making a coolant pipe cross a chunk boundary, and i'd just loving quit playing

now i know that if i gently caress up an RF mod the worst that happens is i waste fuel or waste power and it's kinda nice :yaycloud:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Your Lottery posted:

And if you pick up a machine without a wrench it breaks into just a machine block. And it also breaks into a machine block 1 time in 10 if you use a wrench, unless you use an electric wrench, in which case it still breaks into a machine block 1 time in 10 unless you change the mode of the electric wrench.
Trigger warning this poo poo, omg

I just about broke down crying one time, no joke.

One easy gotcha to waste 2 hours of gathering and crafting time! Why the pitchforks and torches, guys?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Working with a complex electrical system could be fun, as long as the failure states is poor optimization, not "your poo poo exploded."

Basically, IC2 would be pretty good for all this if:

A) Machines overloaded "crash" and need to be fixed with tools, not EXPLODE and ruin possibly more stuff.
B) The wrench wasn't such a piece of poo poo. Seriously. gently caress you. Yes, you. Why in the name of everything that's goddamned sacred did that get passed as a design choice? *
C) The electric wrench should be a durability = energy version of the above, and not a piece of poo poo. What the gently caress is wrong with you, IC2 devs? I seriously cant :argh: hard enough to explain my hate for this. The "Oh we have a flawless version that costs oodles of energy stop complaining" is NOT valid in the slightest, BECAUSE ITS NOT ENABLED BY DEFAULT.*
D) Bad wiring should affect you in a non-lethal but annoying way. Slowness, Blindness, Mining Fatigue, that kind of stuff.
E) Bad design and energy grids should punish you with inefficiently, not failure. Big Reactors gets this.
F) Nuclear reactors exploding is unfun, but I could see a desire to have some kind of punishment mechanic for failure here. Leakage thats really dangerous but non-fatal?

*: I might have issues with the wrench.

SParE ThE WrenCH, SpoIL THe MANChiLD.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 15, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah explosions is anti - fun and I wasn't actually serious when I mentioned it. I'll write something up and outline the idea properly when I get home from work. But I don't think I'd go for an integrated package as a new power mod. Rather i would like to build puzzle maps starting with simple concepts and puzzles that evolve from there.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i think everyone is glad that ic2 is dead :yaycloud:

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Can someone give me a quick rundown of how to do things with bees using Forestry and Gendustry, because I don't even kind of know where to begin.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Really you'd just have to think outside the box a little bit to come up with interesting consequences for loving up power.
Maybe every machine has a base model that does what it does just fine, but can be upgraded with special circuit boards. If you use too much voltage on an upgraded machine, it fries the boards and you have to replace them, but the machine itself would be fine.

It's a watered-down version of what happens in real life if you overload electronics without ruining hours of work.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
I think there definitely is room in the ecosystem for other ways of doing things. Even the most ridiculous mechanics can inspire a mod pack maker. Taint is one of the most aggressively annoying mechanics in vanilla TC, but it obviously was a major inspiration for Blightfall.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

The Mattybee posted:

Can someone give me a quick rundown of how to do things with bees using Forestry and Gendustry, because I don't even kind of know where to begin.

well step one is to not, unless you are doing an HQM pack and it's part of a quest in which case the answer is "probably not"

bees are loving awful

but the fast way to do it is to rush to an advanced mutatron and feed it mutagen with the mutagen producer

this lets you select which bee you want to mutate to from a given princess/drone pair

hopefully your pack has the nei plugin that shows mutation combinations, if not then :google:

you can use the other stuff from gendustry to isolate bee traits and make überbees with the best genetics but that is :effort:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Reminder to those who want to emit status effects, look to the sludge boiler - it poisons everything around, and it's dumb no one likes it and it doesn't fit the pack at all.

Fortis posted:

Really you'd just have to think outside the box a little bit to come up with interesting consequences for loving up power.
Maybe every machine has a base model that does what it does just fine, but can be upgraded with special circuit boards. If you use too much voltage on an upgraded machine, it fries the boards and you have to replace them, but the machine itself would be fine.

It's a watered-down version of what happens in real life if you overload electronics without ruining hours of work.
Stop trying to reward experimentation with damage and loss! What the hell is wrong with you?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Bhodi posted:

Reminder to those who want to emit status effects, look to the sludge boiler - it poisons everything around, and it's dumb no one likes it and it doesn't fit the pack at all.

Stop trying to reward experimentation with damage and loss! What the hell is wrong with you?

I don't actually like the idea (I am firmly in Team RF), it's just an idea about making things more "realistic" without being a complete loving dickbag like IC2 is about it.

Edit: One thing I actually DO like is having to put more thought into infrastructure. Immersive Engineering's wiring is really, really cool. Right now I'm experimenting with a modpack that includes it and a few other tech mods, but all other power conduits are disabled via minetweaker. I had to increase the RF/t values of the wiring from IE and I also disabled the loss over distance, but it's still really interesting to have to think of wires as something other than a block.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 15, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah, a better way would be: when it overheats the "circuit board" needs to cool off first before it can be used again. Losing poo poo hurts before you know how to properly use the mod.

You could have the frying mechanic on "advanced" versions with some word of caution that due to <magical mechanical overclocking> your poo poo may get compromised if you're that convinced it is a good idea. The mechanics are the same between basic and advanced so experimentation can be done on the former before using your results on the latter safely.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah sure, if you want to have a config file option "SLAM_HAND_IN_CARDOOR=true" have at it, it just better be false by default.

You also better have a miracle potato for in-game debugging purposes that tells you what thing is messing up your entire system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

With realistic power the easy way to do it is to just trip the circuit breaker. If you're dumb and just use one, then one tripped breaker shuts down your entire factory. Redundancies are already accounted for in real life. Every machine usually has breaker is grouped together with a few others on an RCD to protect the rest of the network. If you gently caress up your automation goes.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 15, 2015