Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
P. sure the ending was a direct extension of Monza's character arc and moral growth, lampshaded by the whole "my weakness has limits" exchange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

After coming back to the series for the fourth time; man do I really hate Brother Longfoots chapters.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I didn't mind them. They reminded me of the dude in Raymond Feist's books who would always pull an orange out of his sack. I liked that dude.

Edit: Nakor

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So I've finished the "Half a -" series. Anyone have any recommendations for something similar? I pretty much loved all Abercrombie's stuff.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Richard K. Morgan's The Steel Remains struck me as similar, if more fantastic. Same kind of rear end in a top hat antihero, although his book focuses on just one guy.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

RCarr posted:

So I've finished the "Half a -" series. Anyone have any recommendations for something similar? I pretty much loved all Abercrombie's stuff.

If you liked the "Vikings on a boat trip doing viking things" parts of the books then I can heartily recommend The Long ships by Frans G Bengtsson

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Fader Movitz posted:

If you liked the "Vikings on a boat trip doing viking things" parts of the books then I can heartily recommend The Long ships by Frans G Bengtsson
Seconding that one. It just makes you want to grab a posse and go raid the nearest town downriver.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Richard K. Morgan's The Steel Remains struck me as similar, if more fantastic. Same kind of rear end in a top hat antihero, although his book focuses on just one guy.

I just finished the second book in the series, and while I like it overall there's a lot more genital mutilation, graphic gay sex, and overall weird sex situations than I was really happy to read about. For example I really don't need to know "the air was filled with the scent of poo poo from his open arse", and we meet the Emperor while he is casually fingering a slave girl and then wipes the result on his female councilor's face - which seems needlessly weird.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Darkrenown posted:

I just finished the second book in the series, and while I like it overall there's a lot more genital mutilation, graphic gay sex, and overall weird sex situations than I was really happy to read about. For example I really don't need to know "the air was filled with the scent of poo poo from his open arse", and we meet the Emperor while he is casually fingering a slave girl and then wipes the result on his female councilor's face - which seems needlessly weird.

Agree. That series seemed like it was trying too hard to be edgy. I found myself more interested in the world-building aspect of the story than the characters themselves.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i was listening to a review podcast that mentioned that after the host gave a negative review for black man richard k morgan sent him a lengthy email saying how the only reason the reviewer couldn't like it is because he couldn't handle the protagonist being an angry black man due to racism or something and explaining how brilliant the book actually was and how the reviewer had completely misread it due to being stupid

i like some of morgan's books (i thought the first two books of land fit for heroes were great before the third poo poo the bed like ringil after a night of hard use) but he seems like a dickhead who probably thinks his ultra graphic sex scenes are pure artistry instead of being unnecessary

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 8, 2015

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

As far as Richard K Morgan goes, I never got more than lukewarm on the Land Fit For Heroes, but I thought the Takeshi Kovacs books were fantastic.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I really loved those books as well but they had their share of weird sex scenes as well. Like when he helped that girl who was chain raped in a prison camp out of her mental shock by fingering her. I had to put the book down because I was just plain confused by why he thought that was something that needed to be in the book.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Morgan is really good at building interesting worlds and plots but just seems to focus on... Other things.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I don't know if focus is the right word. There's like 1-2 weird creepy sex scenes per book in the Kovacs stuff and you can pretty much skip most of them without missing anything major.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but if I remember correctly it's a much bigger deal in Market Forces and 13 (hell, there's a whole race of humans created by genetically modifying chimpanzees so they lack sexual inhibitions) - and the fantasy novels are apparently full of the stuff.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Khizan posted:

As far as Richard K Morgan goes, I never got more than lukewarm on the Land Fit For Heroes, but I thought the Takeshi Kovacs books were fantastic.

Agreed 100%.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

RCarr posted:

So, just to get away from creepy sexualisation, I think Lies of Locke Lamora is vaguely similar to Abercrombie's stuff in its superficial attitude. It's not as morally grey or quite as grim but hey.

Truth is I've found nothing to fill the Abercrombie void since I finished Shattered Sea. :smith:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The followup books to Lies of Locke Lamora aren't great, but that first book is real good.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The followup books to Lies of Locke Lamora aren't great, but that first book is real good.

The first book really is excellent but the second is just awful garbage. I'm not even going to try the third.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

hemale in pain posted:

The first book really is excellent but the second is just awful garbage. I'm not even going to try the third.

And outside of Internet hyperbole, where everything is either the best thing ever or complete trash, the first books is outstanding, the second is just good (one half) to mediocre (other half), but overall a disappointment, the third is again better, but never reaches how well written the first was. The fourth might be out around 2020. Probably.

Decius fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 15, 2015

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I liked the second one better than the first, but that's only because it felt more like Ffarhd and the Gray Mouser than someone's adventuring group.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Decius posted:

And outside of Internet hyperbole, where everything is either the best thing ever or complete trash, the first books is outstanding, the second is just good (one half) to mediocre (other half), but overall a disappointment, the third is again better, but never reaches how well written the first was. The fourth might be out around 2020. Probably.

We should probably continue this discussion in that respective thread but I disagree about the third. To me it was much worse than the second and a big step back for the series in general. You can blame some of the hyperbole for Red Seas on expectations from the first but Republic gets no such luck in my opinion. Anyways I've posted my opinion about it there a few times if you're interested.

Getting back to Joe, what's new? I haven't kept up on things after the conclusion of Shattered Seas which was a bit of a letdown. Is he working on non-YA stuff again?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The Gunslinger posted:

Getting back to Joe, what's new? I haven't kept up on things after the conclusion of Shattered Seas which was a bit of a letdown. Is he working on non-YA stuff again?

There's his upcoming short story collection in the First Law universe, Sharp Ends.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

The Gunslinger posted:

We should probably continue this discussion in that respective thread but I disagree about the third. To me it was much worse than the second and a big step back for the series in general. You can blame some of the hyperbole for Red Seas on expectations from the first but Republic gets no such luck in my opinion. Anyways I've posted my opinion about it there a few times if you're interested.

After the short stories, he's doing another first law universe trilogy. He says he wants to outline all three books before he publishes anything so it's going to be awhile. The dude writes like a machine but this one sounds pretty ambitious, I imagine it's going to be a few years.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

The Gunslinger posted:

Scott Lynch isn't the only one guilty of this. Seems like a lot of the recent high quality fantasy stuff has started strong and gone downhill.:

Raven's Shadow trilogy by Anthony Ryan
Prince of Thorns trilogy by Mark Lawrence
Powder Mage trilogy by Brian McClellan
and yes, Shattered Sea

Also, Shattered Sea seems like it's copped straight from Prince of Thorns. oh the mysterious ancient vaguely described metal thing is a gun! shocking

Mark Lawrence's Prince of Fools is pretty loving great so far though!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Suxpool posted:

Also, Shattered Sea seems like it's copped straight from Prince of Thorns. oh the mysterious ancient vaguely described metal thing is a gun! shocking
This is way too common to attribute it to a single book.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Suxpool posted:

Mark Lawrence's Prince of Fools is pretty loving great so far though!

I've got bad news for you about The Liar's Key... :(

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Really wanted to read the Gorst short story, Yesterday, Near a Village Called Barden. A shame it was never released in anything but 5000 hardcover books sold in England. At least we'll get to see it next year. Just a whole book of Gorst plowing through people would be fine with me.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

The Gunslinger posted:

I've got bad news for you about The Liar's Key... :(

I liked Liar's Key! Am I a person who believes wrong things for this? I mean, it was definitely weaker, but it was no Emperor of Thorns.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah I agree about the third book there. I actually liked the second one (or most of it) a fair amount and surprised to see so much dislike of it--but the third one was really mediocre. I guess it was still OK enough to finish but that's mostly just because I'm still curious enough to see what happens next than anything else.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I still keep thinking about how I want to see Abercrombie's work adapted in a film/TV show and spread to a wider audience but I wonder how it could really work. Ninefingers would work, but Glokta and Gorst's entire characters would be lost without their internal monologue, and The First Law trilogy hinges way too much on the third part for the first to be anywhere near satisfying enough as a first film. (At least without LOTR-level hype behind it.)

I wonder if you could somehow just adapt Logen's story to retake the north into one tight story.

The Heroes would, for the most part, make a pretty fantastic movie. But again, a lot of it ends up coming down to Bayaz and factors from the main trilogy that might not work as true standalone.

(It occurs to me that Shattered Sea is structured way better for adaptation.)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
People would be so pissed at the end of film 2.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

VagueRant posted:

The Heroes would, for the most part, make a pretty fantastic movie. But again, a lot of it ends up coming down to Bayaz and factors from the main trilogy that might not work as true standalone.

A friend of mine grabbed the Heroes without realizing it and read it and loved it, then used that as the impetus to read the trilogy, so it works okay on its own.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The Heroes, Red Country, and the Shattered Sea series would all adapt well to the screen.

Who would play Logan?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

Who would play Logan?
Strategically shave a bear and call it a day.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The only way I see an adaptation working is a tv series, with Abercrombie brought in (he's a former TV editor, right?) to flesh out the first two books with more satisfying arcs for two seasons. Or just mashing them into one season, which worked for Wolf Hall.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 21, 2015

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The only way I see an adaptation working is a tv series, with Abercrombie brought in (he's a former TV editor, right?) to flesh out the first two books with more satisfying arcs for two seasons. Or just mashing them into one season, which worked for Wolf Hall.

They could probably pull off two seasons for the first two books pretty well just by fiddling with the timelines and maybe who goes where a bit. Maybe make Ferro a mite less lovely while they are at it.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

They reprinted the original trilogy in paperback recently in the States so I'm hoping that enough people buy them to warrant a show/film. Those kind of shows are hot poo poo right now.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'd love to see The Heroes adapted into a Ken Burns style "documentary."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Joe is answering reader questions on /r/books.