Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

RottenK posted:

do you think that someone who pays $5000 to put their special snowflake class in the game is likely to design something good

i mean, it's not impossible, but so far almost all of the stuff designed for kickstarted games by their high-tier backers was somewhere between bleh and embarrassingly awful

It would be nice to see a list of this. The backer NPCs in PoE were mostly dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
My favorite part of Darkest Dungeon is that the complete inability to affect what classes arrive on the stagecoach means that I still haven't gotten to try Man At Arms or Houndmaster at all.

Seriously, when MaA came out I played 12 weeks into a new game with a 6 man stagecoach ASAP and never had one show up, then again with Houndmaster the same poo poo happened. I just started the game up to try out the Cove and got 3 weeks of 3 hellions + jester in a row.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
"Snowflake tier" is the worst trend to come out of Kickstarter. Compromise creative control of your project to gain a minuscule boost in funding!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

How much of the character development is done by the backer?

Like i'm sure they'll be able to work with this and we haven't seen anything on it so no need to poo poo all over it just yet.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If I ever get a load of cash i'm just going to put unicorns in everyones totally serious and grimdark game. Abomination sounds pretty within the games universe anyway, most of my guys end up practically being one with all the mental defects they acquire.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Snow Job posted:

Bleh, don't like the sound of this. They avoided putting in wizards and druids, but an overtly evil/monstrous class honestly sounds like a much bigger breach of the setting. Gotta do what the idiot who donated $5,000 says I guess!

a·bom·i·na·tion/əˌbäməˈnāSH(ə)n/
noun
a thing that causes disgust or hatred.

So maybe your posts are the new class

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Improbable Lobster posted:

a·bom·i·na·tion/əˌbäməˈnāSH(ə)n/
noun
a thing that causes disgust or hatred.

So maybe your posts are the new class

:iceburn:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

dogstile posted:

If I ever get a load of cash i'm just going to put unicorns in everyones totally serious and grimdark game. Abomination sounds pretty within the games universe anyway, most of my guys end up practically being one with all the mental defects they acquire.

Yeah. Considering the existence of things like "Fallout Equestria" I rather suspect you're last to the party with this gimmick. :stonk:

The latter part of that makes me weirdly hope that Abomination ends up becoming the "The more hosed up they are, the stronger they get" hero.

You get rabies on an abomination? Everything is wonderful forever.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Abomination just sounds like you'll get a tentacle man who has kept his mind to help you out. Either that or a shambling zombie hulk that you've managed to control.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Regardless of what the abomination is it needs to enjoys booze, gambling and prostitutes

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I want it to be a two-space fat guy with a neckbeard.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I hope the Abomination is just, like, a guy with a prosthetic limb and everyone's constantly all "This. UNHOLY fusion of man and MACHINE... how far will we go... how much will we sacrifice... for VICTORY??" and the whole time the Abomination is just saying "wow this place is messed up as hell and you guys are all loving nuts, I lost this limb in a farming accident you idiots"

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Angry Diplomat posted:

I hope the Abomination is just, like, a guy with a prosthetic limb and everyone's constantly all "This. UNHOLY fusion of man and MACHINE... how far will we go... how much will we sacrifice... for VICTORY??" and the whole time the Abomination is just saying "wow this place is messed up as hell and you guys are all loving nuts, I lost this limb in a farming accident you idiots"
To be honest ... he never asked for this. But we all have to make sacrifices to defeat the alien menace.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Given the setting and theme abomination could just mean he's a protestant.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

hooman posted:

Given the setting and theme abomination could just mean he's a protestant.
Or just own a painting of himself which absorbs the afflictions while he looks forever young and healthy.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Thyrork posted:

Yeah. Considering the existence of things like "Fallout Equestria" I rather suspect you're last to the party with this gimmick. :stonk:

The latter part of that makes me weirdly hope that Abomination ends up becoming the "The more hosed up they are, the stronger they get" hero.

You get rabies on an abomination? Everything is wonderful forever.

I'm not really talking about the brony thing, i'm talking about a unicorn with barbed wire around its horn and a penchant for murder, but still gleaming white.

Its ridiculous and people will complain, but gently caress them, they don't have to use the character. That's my point with this abomination thing, don't like it? Cool, use one of the other dozen or so classes.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

quote:

Merchant class is planned for right after launch. We have an awesome community and plan to support the game post launch.

:toot: Can't wait to see what these guys devise as expansions/dlc.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Toplowtech posted:

Or just own a painting of himself which absorbs the afflictions while he looks forever young and healthy.

It's a shame the actual class won't be anything like as cool as this idea.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I too, desire Vigo the Carpathian as a character class.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The Abomination is a child molester. He's a really skilled solider, but he's also a child molester. Hence the name.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Just going to be frankenstein. Color swaps will be funkenstein, young frankenstein, and kramer

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
I was really hoping it was going to be something like the Tourist class from nethack. Just a regular dude without any special powers or training, in the wrong place at the worst time, with nearly totally useless equipment.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

TheRagamuffin posted:

I was really hoping it was going to be something like the Tourist class from nethack. Just a regular dude without any special powers or training, in the wrong place at the worst time, with nearly totally useless equipment.

I think that's what the merchant is going to be. But with money-getting skills

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

I am totally ok with this.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Cuttin' Me Own Throat - decrement a stack of gold in your inventory to critically debuff an enemy

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

paranoid randroid posted:

Cuttin' Me Own Throat - decrement a stack of gold in your inventory to critically debuff an enemy

Throat's merchandise is never supposed to work, have you gone mad?

Or, at the very least, the debuff should hit someone on your team as well, unless they've actually learned not to touch his gunk.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Hot Sausage...Inna Bun - moderate heal on an ally with a chance to cause blight

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Taking the merchant and hound master together replaces the dog with Gaspode.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

gigawhite posted:

Just going to be frankenstein. Color swaps will be funkenstein, young frankenstein, and kramer

The Kramer abomination moveset consists solely of actions that cause the character to rapidly skid between the first and fourth positions while looking perpetually shocked.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The Kramer abomination moveset consists solely of actions that cause the character to rapidly skid between the first and fourth positions while looking perpetually shocked.

Also randomly barges through doors without prompting when you reach the end of a hallway.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

TheRagamuffin posted:

My understanding is that the Merchant is basically this.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Mzbundifund posted:

It's a shame the actual class won't be anything like as cool as this idea.
Bonus twist ending, after you defeated the final boss and freed the manor from his evil presence, you put your portrait over the main fireplace and it shows a malformed putrid amalgamation of many diseases and curse and it strangely looks like the final boss. Gratz you won!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I was trying to think of other thematically fitting classes and what I could come up with was like a Natural Philosopher/Mad Scientist along the lines of Nikola Tesla and a Battlefield Medic/Sawbones.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

hooman posted:

I was trying to think of other thematically fitting classes and what I could come up with was like a Natural Philosopher/Mad Scientist along the lines of Nikola Tesla and a Battlefield Medic/Sawbones.

Bartender.

The portable minibar costs an arm and a leg but oh man, your favorite drinks while at camp.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hooman posted:

Steampunk Dungeon

I think a poacher could be a good character. Not sure what niche they'd fill though.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

hooman posted:

Since the hero is basically the heir of the manor, he is clearly nobility so he should basically just be mechanically identical to the highwayman, just well dressed and slightly more upperclass and socially respected. More inbreed too probably.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 16, 2015

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
It'll either be a weird hunchback dude, or it'll be like a chaos marauder from warhammer online.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'm having a lot of luck with a Plage Doc/Vestal/Crusader/Leper team. They're incredibly tanky, can hit every position, 3 of them can throw out stuns and just poo poo damage over whatever isn't stunned/going to die from blight.

I haven't seen a single bounty hunter or highwaymen in 12 weeks though and its forced me to try new combinations since I tend to lean on those two classes quite heavily.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

hooman posted:

How about a full-on scholar? He could have really weak dagger or pistol attacks in exchange for an assortment of extremely effective Marking skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

I thought the abomination was the Leper.