Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

feedmegin posted:

Encryption is a thing.

Also, you think that as a random teenager you have more expertise than the people in the US army whose literal paid job is to figure out how to deal with hostile drones? Please.

Well, lets us not forget that Iraqis could catch Predator cam feed with their TVs :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Encryption is a thing.

Also, you think that as a random teenager you have more expertise than the people in the US army whose literal paid job is to figure out how to deal with hostile drones? Please.

You know, I was going to answer that post but then I looked and realized that I was about to reply to a Keldoclock post.

What I'm saying is that you should learn from my example.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
nothing to seehere, i posted this before but it's also relevant to your question:

(in case anyone's wondering, the answer is castle tre kronor, stockholm)

edit: A little annoyed at the translator for adding punctuation, part of the charm of these peoples' writing is the way they write, and I've never seen Wallenstein use a comma or a sentence break. He indicates a new sentence with a new line, which is also the only time he capitalizes a word.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 15, 2015

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Could you reverse-calculate someone's time and place of birth via closely observing their fortunes?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Could you reverse-calculate someone's time and place of birth via closely observing their fortunes?

I'm stealing this idea for my future Europa Universalis-but-fantasy game.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Lone Badger posted:

In theory, maybe? But it's probably the kind of observation that only his closest friends could do. I mean, how is Wallenstein to know what G.A.'s relationships with his family are like?

fyi,
http://www.astrotheme.com/astrology/Gustavus_Adolphus_of_Sweden

quote:

Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden, Fire is dominant in your natal chart and endows you with intuition, energy, courage, self-confidence, and enthusiasm! You are inclined to be passionate, you assert your willpower, you move forward, and come hell or high water, you achieve your dreams and your goals. The relative weakness of this element is the difficulty to step back or a kind of boldness that may prompt you to do foolish things.
:mason:

edit:
http://www.astrotheme.com/astrology/Albrecht_Von_Wallenstein

quote:

Albrecht Von Wallenstein, the nocturnal North-eastern quadrant, consisting of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd houses, prevails in your chart: this sector favours self-assertion and material security to the detriment of your perception of others. You consider self-transformation to be a hazardous adventure. You are inclined to seek stability and you tend to protect yourself with your actions. Possession, acquisition but also communication, without opening up too much, are part of your deep motivations. You are rather autonomous and constant, however it is important that you pay more attention to others, so that you can improve your outcomes.
lol

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Oct 15, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Do a relationship horoscope between him and the Holy Roman Empire please.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fangz posted:

Do a relationship horoscope between him and the Holy Roman Empire please.
i got these from the internet; i have no idea how to calculate this poo poo myself and i'm not about to pay for it.

i suppose i could learn, though. i guess the HRE begins when charlemagne was crowned, which is Christmas 800 old calendar.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

i got these from the internet; i have no idea how to calculate this poo poo myself and i'm not about to pay for it.

i suppose i could learn, though. i guess the HRE begins when charlemagne was crowned, which is Christmas 800 old calendar.

Let's see, that's Capricorn to Wallenstein's Libra-Virgo Cusp.

http://www.solutionastrology.com/resultrelationship.asp?firstsign=25&secondsign=38

quote:

Best at : Parent-Child Worst at : Work

Natural feelings and attitudes predominate in this free and easy relationship. In many ways liberating, the Virgo-Libra-Capricorn I matchup can powerfully influence both partners in their search for meaning in life, and also in their self-development. Thus Virgo-Libras learn a great deal from their Capricorn I partners, who, in turn, benefit tremendously from the aesthetic influences of Virgo-Libras, which can open up whole new worlds for them.

Romance is possible between these two; it will seldom be of the wilder sort, yet it will be more uninhibited than either partner is used to. Capricorn Is will be enchanted by their Virgo-Libra partners but, unfortunately, will also regard them as possessions. Virgo-Libras can only be flattered to a point, and will back off if they feel claimed or controlled. In marriage, they benefit from Capricorn 1 practicality and common sense. They will not be dissatisfied with playing a supporting role, but must beware that their own personalities are not swallowed up by the relationship.

As friends, these two enjoy taking courses together that lead to mutual self-improvement, whether commercial, physical or artistic. A common hobby often emerges that unites the pair and becomes the basis of the relationship. Virgo-Libras should not be surprised at Capricorn I thriftiness but should edge the relationship away from a stingy attitude that can limit its possibilities and inhibit creativity.

Parent-child relationships can be extremely favorable, with both partners sharing, learning and growing together Artistic and spiritual bonds may be formed here that continue into adult life. In the work sphere, Capricorn Is tend to think they are omniscient, a trail that, if encountered on a daily basis, will grate on the nerves of Virgo-Libras. These two relate best as independent colleagues or freelancers who touch base occasionally to share their thoughts and observations.

Advice
Learn from each other, but maintain your independence--beware of claiming attitudes. Cultivate artistic and spiritual pursuits.

Astrology: it works.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tomn posted:

Say, question about cavalry here.

I know that during the Early Modern era heavy cavalry began experimenting with the idea of heavily armored cavalry armed with pistols who'd fire at the point of contact in a charge. Is there a reason why heavy cavalry dropped the pistols by the Napoleonic period, though? Did pistols prove to be just too inaccurate on a galloping horse to be worthwhile no matter the circumstances?

Most heavy cavalry still carried pistols, but the pistol is a one-shot deal. Still useful for mixed work, but not so much in a charge because generally, it was thought of as more advantageous to charge home in a large mass with arme blanche only. A Napoleonic era pistol has an effective range of maybe 30-40yd on the ground. Add the fact that you are riding a horse, on a battlefield, and the likelihood of hits is very low. Then you drop the pistol and draw the sabre, but you're already on top of the guys you're charging and you can't pick your targets all that well because of all the goddamn smoke in your eyes so the charge is disrupted.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

A common hobby often emerges that unites the pair and becomes the basis of the relationship.

War?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Endman posted:

Considering Serbians shot down the F117 with crappy Cold War AAA, I'm reasonably sure the US wouldn't have instantaneous air superiority.

As a bit of trivia, the guy commanding the team that shot it down works as a baker, and makes a F117 shaped cake every year for his team's reunion.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Most heavy cavalry still carried pistols, but the pistol is a one-shot deal. Still useful for mixed work, but not so much in a charge because generally, it was thought of as more advantageous to charge home in a large mass with arme blanche only. A Napoleonic era pistol has an effective range of maybe 30-40yd on the ground. Add the fact that you are riding a horse, on a battlefield, and the likelihood of hits is very low. Then you drop the pistol and draw the sabre, but you're already on top of the guys you're charging and you can't pick your targets all that well because of all the goddamn smoke in your eyes so the charge is disrupted.
now, for my period, you're supposed to either push the pistol against the body of your enemy (also mounted in this scenario) and fire

or, if you're doing a full on caracole, run toward the enemy, stop, turn so the horse's flank is facing them, lean behind the horse's neck, rest your pistol arm on the horse's head, fire, turn the other direction, fire your second pistol, turn around, and leave so the guy behind you can do the same thing. so you're not in motion at the time, but on the other hand...

remember when i said that 17th century combat was "stately"?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah I think by the napoleonic era people were like well uh why push a pistol on to the dude when you could just push a sword in to him but like really fast because you are on a horse.

The French in particular liked the swords-as-spears-in-a-charge concept. Other countries just used spears, and the English flailed around like morons because their cavalry was all rich people.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

and the English flailed around like morons
this is a bunch of their wars tbh

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

what im getting at is that the russian backed seperatist drone directed artillery is operating under aparticular set of circumstances where neither side is operating with a lot of airpower, so if all you have are rifles then shooting down artillery spotting drones is a big deal but against an american formation those mlrs will have been spotted by and interdicted from the air before the drones come into play, so i dont see the lack of anti drone weapons to be a big blindspot for the us.

Are you going to plan for having absolute air superiority? A number of 20th century conflicts showed severe deficiencies in previously held assumptions about the effectiveness of air power: terror bombing for total victory in the interwar/ww2 years, the viability of late prop aircraft against early jets in Korea, the institutional rot when you almost exclusively train for nuclear missions but have to fight a different kind of conflict in Vietnam, the vulnerability of the flightline in '67, the danger of medium range SAM systems in '73, the danger of man portable missiles against close air support in 1980s Afghanistan, etc.

In the end the artillery is going to be there, on the battlefield, as it has been for hundreds of years, just like the dude with the gun who can hold ground and influence poo poo directly. What kind of see-sawing shenanigans are we going see that'll make the general set of circumstances regarding ground forces absolutely non-viable through airpower??? Also, I can't stress this enough: large guns or dudes with guns should be considered an inherent loving factor on the battlefield. Whether or not you can mitigate against it through air power is the thing that is going to be beholden to particulars, not the other way around!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Endman posted:

Considering Serbians shot down the F117 with crappy Cold War AAA, I'm reasonably sure the US wouldn't have instantaneous air superiority.

It wasn't that simple. The AA officer was drat good at what he did and he had disciplined troops who didn't take anything for granted while the Americans had grown complacent and lazy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_F-117A_shootdown

Here's an after the war pic with the bomber and the AA officer:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Serbia and Italy. Serbia and Italy. Serbia and Italy. Get used to this; this is going to take us through to about Christmas, a steady diet of Serbia and Italy. The bell tolls for Sir Ian Hamilton, Corporal Cathala becomes a hero, and Bernard Adams goes back up the line, where he gets to enjoy a truly epic conversation between two sentries.

By the way, apparently my security certificate renewal didn't go as smooth as it should and the website's been giving off untrusted connection warnings. Anyone got a problem with that now?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the English flailed around like morons because their cavalry was all rich people.

Do you have a flag?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hogge Wild posted:

It wasn't that simple. The AA officer was drat good at what he did and he had disciplined troops who didn't take anything for granted while the Americans had grown complacent and lazy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_F-117A_shootdown

Also, intel. Between Aviano having zero security and us having spies in NATO (I think only one of them got caught, some French dude), Dani knew exactly where to look for the aircraft.

It's also how we know that the targeting of civillian structures wasn't accidental.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

We drone chat while some guy is making a drone radio gun. No word on whether it can be used to remotely sterilize people, tho!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

my dad posted:

Also, intel. Between Aviano having zero security and us having spies in NATO (I think only one of them got caught, some French dude), Dani knew exactly where to look for the aircraft.

It's also how we know that the targeting of civillian structures wasn't accidental.

Yeah, I think that the article has been modified since I last read or I remembered it being better.

To add:
  • Serbians had spies near the airfield who phoned them when and which planes took off
  • Serbian forces changed positions every night and used couriers on bikes instead of radios
  • the Bombers used the same route every day
  • they had a good idea where the Americans were going to strike next

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

this is a bunch of their wars tbh

An Evaluation of English Military Capability, 1066-Present:

Boats: Good mostly
Infantry: Good mostly
Artillery: tolerable
Cavalry: l m a o
Leadership: :cawg:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Edward III was a good military leader. :colbert:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The British didn't produce any world conquering geniuses but I don't think any particular leader was outright moronic either. For a very long period the British navy was by a significant margin the best in the world so 'mostly good' is kinda underselling it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Slavvy posted:

What about allied equipment that's perceived as being really fantastic but is actually pretty crap? Is there such a thing?

George S Patton

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

:golfclap:

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

feedmegin posted:

Encryption is a thing.

Yes, as a random teenager who builds UAS I have more expertise on UAS than a grunt. I can look at EMF data and try to figure poo poo out and will eventually figure out at least the category of system I am facing and match it to the appropriate counter measure. Encryption is only a hindrance for hijacking, which is a fun trick but unnecessary and probably too dangerous to attempt in real war. That's why I said per capita; DARPA's talent and funding far outclasses mine but they have to make their designs much more robust than mine for them to be at all useful. Thus the different approaches.

I mention hijacking because it has been done before many times, and never fails to be hilarious.

JcDent posted:

Well, lets us not forget that Iraqis could catch Predator cam feed with their TVs :v:

Of course they could, video stream from commercial UAS systems is analogue video. They do that so that in poor signal conditions you can still see something. You could do digital packetized video if and only if you had a dense network of networked transivers, in which case it would probably look like LTE.

my dad posted:

F117 shaped cake

Mm, radar-deflecting frosting.

[quote="JcDent" post=""451473962"]No word on whether it can be used to remotely sterilize people, tho!
[/quote]

this is what I mean when I refer to disrupting control signal with RF. You just make the receiver lose its bind- only works for r/c aircraft,not autonomous systems. It's no more likely to "sterilize" you than a flashlight or a radio station.

To guy who had started replying but decided the stigma of associating with me was too strong, gently caress you, :justpost:

Like, dude, you have finally wandered into the intersection between the two things I am at least a layman expert at, infosec and aerospace. You think it is hard to counter drones? It is laughably easy.

see this thing? It runs unpatched windows 7. I have talked to its makers and they both know about all of the security flaws and aren't going to do anything about it until it starts losing them money.

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 15, 2015

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Keldoclock posted:

Yes, as a random teenager who builds UAS I have more expertise on UAS than a grunt.
Somehow I doubt that when people talk about soldiers who "do that for a living" they're not talking about Spc. Joe Grunt.

And loving :laffo: if you think your hobby gives you serious insight into the military equipment, how it is operated, and its vulnerabilities.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Cyrano4747 posted:

And loving :laffo: if you think your hobby gives you serious insight into the military equipment, how it is operated, and its vulnerabilities.

:laffo: if you understand the current state of UAS and think it doesn't.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Fangz posted:

The British didn't produce any world conquering geniuses but I don't think any particular leader was outright moronic either. For a very long period the British navy was by a significant margin the best in the world so 'mostly good' is kinda underselling it.

Leadership doesn't just refer to the guy immediately at the top. Battalion, division and corps level leadership have been mediocre to bad as a constant throughout history.

The RN was good in a competitive environment from 1700-1812. After that it was just resting on laurels. There's a pretty convincing argument that the RN was actually not very good in the 1800s - Dreadnought touches on this.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

gently caress off Keldoclock.

Seriously, just gently caress off and take your meds.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I think Napoleonic cav still used pistols as well as other firearms depending on the type, but they might have been used on foot or as a post charge method of not dying whilst under pursuit.

In an era when entire blocks of drilled infantry are armed and usually carrying loaded muskets I can certainly see why'd they rather use swords in a quiet flanking attack or surprise charge rather than the random and loud chance of emptying pistols at point blank range.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 15, 2015

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Devlan Mud posted:

gently caress off Keldoclock.

Seriously, just gently caress off and take your meds.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Keldoclock posted:

:laffo: if you understand the current state of UAS and think it doesn't.

If you understood as much about military UAS and infosec as you believe you do, you'd know better than to post about it on an unsecured internet comedy forum.

Jesus loving Christ, Keldoclock. Jesus loving Christ.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

Yes but if the ukrainians had the kind of air superiority that the us enjoys, how will those mlrs be able to run amok to begin with?

what im getting at is that the russian backed seperatist drone directed artillery is operating under aparticular set of circumstances where neither side is operating with a lot of airpower, so if all you have are rifles then shooting down artillery spotting drones is a big deal but against an american formation those mlrs will have been spotted by and interdicted from the air before the drones come into play, so i dont see the lack of anti drone weapons to be a big blindspot for the us.

It is somewhere between near-impossible and impossible to locate and destroy launchers in hostile territory prior to their launching anything. It has literally never been done successfully in the modern era: they're too mobile, too small, and too low-observable. The US couldn't do this in Iraq, with completely permissive airspace and BIG (ballistic missile) launchers...imagine how well it would go in extremely well contested airspace with MRLs.

Also please ignore the one guy

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

An Evaluation of English Military Capability, 1066-Present:

Boats: Good mostly
Infantry: Good mostly
Artillery: tolerable
Cavalry: l m a o
Leadership: :cawg:
in the 16th and 17th centuries:

Infantry: Good, if led by someone who is not english (this is the important part). tons of 'em show up on both sides of the eighty years' war

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 15, 2015

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Koesj posted:

Are you going to plan for having absolute air superiority? A number of 20th century conflicts showed severe deficiencies in previously held assumptions about the effectiveness of air power: terror bombing for total victory in the interwar/ww2 years, the viability of late prop aircraft against early jets in Korea, the institutional rot when you almost exclusively train for nuclear missions but have to fight a different kind of conflict in Vietnam, the vulnerability of the flightline in '67, the danger of medium range SAM systems in '73, the danger of man portable missiles against close air support in 1980s Afghanistan, etc.

In the end the artillery is going to be there, on the battlefield, as it has been for hundreds of years, just like the dude with the gun who can hold ground and influence poo poo directly. What kind of see-sawing shenanigans are we going see that'll make the general set of circumstances regarding ground forces absolutely non-viable through airpower??? Also, I can't stress this enough: large guns or dudes with guns should be considered an inherent loving factor on the battlefield. Whether or not you can mitigate against it through air power is the thing that is going to be beholden to particulars, not the other way around!

You can argue that the Ukrainians right now might be better off if they had some way of swatting artillery spotting drones out of the sky, slightly. It's not like the Grads stop working without drones, but if there's nothing else you can do about it swatting a drone is better than nothing at all.

If the US is planning some kind of Henderson Field type scenario where lightly armed infantry without any air support is supposed to hold a line against massed tanks backed by Grads, as the Ukrainians are being asked to do, then having some kind of anti-drone weapon would be handy.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The British were generally competent and well organized during the Arrow War. It was right after Crimea so everyone was like, "This time, maybe let's pay attention to things like food and basic medical care?"

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

P-Mack posted:

The British were generally competent and well organized during the Arrow War. It was right after Crimea so everyone was like, "This time, maybe let's pay attention to things like food and basic medical care?"

All of the equipment in our Fort was a hilarious combination of 'B ^ O' and 'W ^ D' for this exact reason. Built from 1832-1837 with a pretend 1867 garrison, it's still easy to spot at what precise point in technological development Crimea happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

P-Mack posted:

We usually call that one of the Opium Wars, rather than using the name of the manufactured cassus belli, since it better describes the British objectives.

• Locked thread