Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Handguns should be sold in vending machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

And pro-gunners are claimed to have wishful thinking on their abilities? That's a retention holster that you have to hit a tab on the inside to release the "hood" to draw. From behind? She's crazy. While she'd be stuck with her hand on the gun he could elbow her in the face and have her rear end on the ground.

And come one, if she left without getting shot at there by definition was no problem. Her paranoia is not justification to tell others what they can't do. Go back to the UK if you want "I'm not comfortable" to be legislated.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

-Troika- posted:

I mean, it doesn't seem like a great idea or anything, bit that's what the constitution says, so yeah.

In fact, it would be more of a dispenser type of thing where you don't actually have to put any money in, kind of like those early EVE hypo and hack tool dispensers in Bioshock 2. At that rate, I suppose you could also just loot them off the corpses around you too.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

quote:

With such a law as this, why wouldn't you want to own a gun?

Well, the mere fact that laws banning felons, the insane, and so on from owning guns is textbook evidence that, in fact, "shall not be infringed" is not that absolute.
Also what constitutes infringement is not as easily defined either. Registration of guns and owners does not infringe on their abilitiy to own a gun. May-issue policies do not either, if the criteria for issuance are transparent enough. Since its inception, and even in Heller, the argument behind the right to bear arms has been self-defense - even though I personally disagree with its truth or relevance today - and therefore banning guns that specifically do not fit this purpose should be able to pass as well.

All rights exist within a legal framework and their scope is refined by laws and judicial decisions. Congress has made laws restricting freedom of speech or assembly, that are yet undoubtedly constitutional and moral. Same thing with the 10th amendment. The 6th amendment is largely refined by tons of jurisprudence.
What I'm trying to say here is that there are no absolutes in constitutional law, because the definition of terms is not as clear-cut as you make it seem. There is no agreed upon definition for "to bear arms" and no agreement on what infringing such a right would entail, because new practices arise all the time.

Flowers For Algeria fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 15, 2015

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

I mean, look at the Federal Assault Weapons Ban. It stood for 10 years and was not renewed. Not once was it challenged on its compatibility with the 2nd Amendment. And neither was the Brady Bill. There's nothing to suggest that gun control up to but not including an actual ban on the sale and ownership of firearms is unconstitutional.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Well, the mere fact that laws banning felons, the insane, and so on from owning guns is textbook evidence that, in fact, "shall not be infringed" is not that absolute.
Also what constitutes infringement is not as easily defined either. Registration of guns and owners does not infringe on their abilitiy to own a gun. May-issue policies do not either, if the criteria for issuance are transparent enough. Since its inception, and even in Heller, the argument behind the right to bear arms has been self-defense - even though I personally disagree with its truth or relevance today - and therefore banning guns that specifically do not fit this purpose should be able to pass as well.

All rights exist within a legal framework and their scope is refined by laws and judicial decisions. Congress has made laws restricting freedom of speech or assembly, that are yet undoubtedly constitutional and moral. Same thing with the 10th amendment. The 6th amendment is largely refined by tons of jurisprudence.
What I'm trying to say here is that there are no absolutes in constitutional law, because the definition of terms is not as clear-cut as you make it seem. There is no agreed upon definition for "to bear arms" and no agreement on what infringing such a right would entail, because new practices arise all the time.

No, my point is that the laws as they exist now are going to be changed to be more in line with the current supreme law interpretation, which is a more literal interpretation. And we need to be prepared for that scenario. At this point if you want reasonable gun laws, nothing less than a constitutional convenbwahahah

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

How is this different from taking a photograph of a car, and saying you could use it to drive into a crowd of people?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Extensive Vamping posted:

I mean, it doesn't seem like a great idea or anything, bit that's what the constitution says, so yeah.

In fact, it would be more of a dispenser type of thing where you don't actually have to put any money in, kind of like those early EVE hypo and hack tool dispensers in Bioshock 2. At that rate, I suppose you could also just loot them off the corpses around you too.

I was joking, but if you hooked the vending machine to the background check database, it's certainly technically possible to do. Of course, it'd have to be one hell of a vending machine to keep someone from just running off with the whole thing, but that's just an engineering problem.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

-Troika- posted:

I was joking, but if you hooked the vending machine to the background check database, it's certainly technically possible to do. Of course, it'd have to be one hell of a vending machine to keep someone from just running off with the whole thing, but that's just an engineering problem.

That's kind of a bad idea.

Now a gun claw grabber game is where it's at.

For added liberty make the guns pre-loaded.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think that states doing poo poo to gun owners as part of the militia would be good: mandatory registration (so the state knows who to call up if they need the militia), and oh look, you gotta spend all weekend every weekend doing state-run training because semper paratus

sure you can have a gun, but you won't have a life

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

-Troika- posted:

Background checks? What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
ITT: photographic proof of gun grabbers fantasizing about grabbing guns.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

-Troika- posted:

Ha ha ha ha! Kill your cravings at the Circus of Valueeees!

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Ha ha ha ha! Kill your cravings at the Circus of Valueeees!

Hey I get that reference!

Good game.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

I never thought I could find a person looking as unjustifiably smug as Aaron Sorkin (and saying the same things, oddly enough).

-Troika- posted:

My ccw has prevented muggings on 3 separate occasions since I got it. Checkmate, gun grabbers :smugdog:

You should probably stop trolling alleys with money hanging out of your pockets

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

In all seriousness, based on the interpretation of the 2nd I posted above, under what grounds (other than scarcity) would we be able to decline our 14 year old meth addict from obtaining, say, a nuclear submarine?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

A whole lot of really stupid poo poo

Background checks? What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
:rolleyes: Dumbshits swooping in with their oh-so-clever ironic hyper literal takes on the law that have been done a thousand times before are one of the reasons these threads are unreadable. Well, that and Tezzor/PTD/effectronica's non-stop white noise shitposting.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, but the standards for government restriction on a fundamental right are fairly well established under the concept of strict scrutiny: there must be a compelling interest, and the law must be both narrowly tailored and the least restrictive means of accomplishing the interest. Banning all guns unsuitable for personal defense probably wouldn't infringe on the 2nd amendment, but is unlikely to pass even the lower rational basis standard. May issue policies definitely would fail on all counts. Registration would likely pass muster, but there really isn't any good reason for it.

I mean, look at the Federal Assault Weapons Ban. It stood for 10 years and was not renewed. Not once was it challenged on its compatibility with the 2nd Amendment. And neither was the Brady Bill. There's nothing to suggest that gun control up to but not including an actual ban on the sale and ownership of firearms is unconstitutional.
Funny you should mention that. I'm guessing the court will decline to hear it though, they don't particularly want to touch the issue.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 15, 2015

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dead Reckoning posted:

:rolleyes: Dumbshits swooping in with their oh-so-clever ironic hyper literal takes on the law

I don't think it's in your best rhetorical interests to argue against taking the law literally and how it's ok to ignore that "shall not be infringed" part under certain circumstances

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

:rolleyes: Dumbshits swooping in with their oh-so-clever ironic hyper literal takes on the law that have been done a thousand times before are one of the reasons these threads are unreadable. Well, that and Tezzor/PTD/effectronica's non-stop white noise shitposting.
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, but the standards for government restriction on a fundamental right are fairly well established under the concept of strict scrutiny: there must be a compelling interest, and the law must be both narrowly tailored and the least restrictive means of accomplishing the interest. Banning all guns unsuitable for personal defense probably wouldn't infringe on the 2nd amendment, but is unlikely to pass even the lower rational basis standard. May issue policies definitely would fail on all counts. Registration would likely pass muster, but there really isn't any good reason for it.

Funny you should mention that. I'm guessing the court will decline to hear it though, they don't particularly want to touch the issue.

Sorry genius, I didn't realize this was a peeve of yours. For the enlightenment of the silent audience, would you kindly expound upon how the court's interpretation differs from mine?. Thanks sweetie!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm not one of those gun control fundamentalists who believes "bah, gently caress the second amendment", so much as I think that the second amendment was just really vaguely and unfortunately phrased. I mean, look at it for a second. The version passed by Congress:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The version ratified by the states:

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I look at these amendments and I find it hard to believe the intent of the framers was that independent, unregulated private individuals should be allowed to possess unlimited amounts of firearms. Hell, the framers were infamous classists who were afraid of giving power to unlanded individuals. But 240-odd years of legal decisions have changed our interpretation of that amendment from what it originally was to "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." The militia part no longer matters. It's another part of why you guys have already won.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

various cheeses posted:

Paraphrased/copied from a good post:

Better mental health reporting from individual states to NICS for a start, so that people like Dylan Roof can't just go out and buy a gun without getting flagged.

The gun industry actually has a campaign to solve this: http://www.fixnics.org/factinfo.cfm

• Remember the Lafayette movie theater guy? Yeah, GA removed his info from NICS, allowing him to buy a gun from a pawn shop.
  • Dylan Roof, the Charleston Church Shooter, had been arrested for drug charges and was pending trial, making him a prohibited person blocked from purchasing, but the reporting agency didn't put the data in correctly and when Roof bought his gun, he was passed by NICS.

There need to be clear reporting policies for people who are a danger to themselves and others. This is tough because on one hand you don't want to prevent people getting help. On the other hand, Holmes told his therapist about wanting to kill people before Aurora and she sent his journal by snail mail instead of getting the cops out there. Aurora was the result. Lanza was supposedly getting committed. Alexis Aaron had several episodes including hallucinations prior to shooting up the Navy Yard. As did Hauser in the Lafayette Theater shooting. Cho, the Virginia Tech Shooter had court ordered psych evals too. The guy from Umpqua was apparently a sperglord and on several meds as well.

what are the barriers to strengthening nics?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

gohmak posted:

what are the barriers to strengthening nics?
The NRA and the Republican Party.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

JT Jag posted:

The NRA and the Republican Party.

States actually reporting things.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

stealie72 posted:

States actually reporting things.
I'm vaguely curious as to the NICS reporting reliability in states with Democratic state Congresses compared to Republican ones.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Gunthread Log, Gundate 1911-45:

The fighting has died down from the first 48 hours, but the shitposting continues unabated. Losses mount on both sides as anti-gunners are beaten to death by home intruders while smugly quoting statistics about how guns make you less safe, while pro-gunners are succumbing to the suicidal call of their own weapons. Probations have claimed the lives of many shitposters, and I fear we will not come to an agreement before it is too late for us all. I cling to the hope that we can come to a consensus before the gas takes us all.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Why aren't democrats laser focused on NICS before overreaching with restrictions. I mean it should be a red flag when they are attempting to pull the same bullshit republicans are doing to womens access to reproductive healthcare.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 15, 2015

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I think that states doing poo poo to gun owners as part of the militia would be good: mandatory registration (so the state knows who to call up if they need the militia), and oh look, you gotta spend all weekend every weekend doing state-run training because semper paratus

sure you can have a gun, but you won't have a life

Riiiight. Let's keep making it difficult for "people" who don't work 9-5 M-F and pretend were not talking about 'those people'.

Racist gun banners strike again.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sorry genius, I didn't realize this was a peeve of yours. For the enlightenment of the silent audience, would you kindly expound upon how the court's interpretation differs from mine?. Thanks sweetie!

The courts interpretation actually carried due to NRA lobbying with the Judicial Selection committee.

JohnGalt posted:

Racist gun banners strike again.

:ironicat:

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

JT Jag posted:

I'm vaguely curious as to the NICS reporting reliability in states with Democratic state Congresses compared to Republican ones.

Seems to be kind of mixed based on the graph here: http://www.fixnics.org/staterankings.cfm

I don't know why this doesn't come up more often, because it's something both sides have agreed on multiple times in this thread.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

The courts interpretation actually carried due to NRA lobbying with the Judicial Selection

If that's the only substantial difference I'll take that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

various cheeses posted:

Seems to be kind of mixed based on the graph here: http://www.fixnics.org/staterankings.cfm

I don't know why this doesn't come up more often, because it's something both sides have agreed on multiple times in this thread.
You guys are probably right that fixing and improving the NICS is something the Democrats should focus on more. I think the reason Democrats don't do it is that the NICS is 'settled', it's something that is already on the books, and even if it's not working as great as we might like the worry some of us might have is that if we ask to reform it the reply will be "we need to remove the ban on silencers or whatever before we can support that".

Spending political capital on reforming something isn't sexy compared to making something new.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Literally The Worst posted:

yo i said in that big post i'm using the general you to refer to people who vote straight ticket R because GUNS despite payin lipservice to things the democrats support so you can drop the snark a little, i wasn't attacking you

and be reasonable, people have done that in this thread and then refused to address it. at least you had the stones to do that much. kudos.

You keep summoning up the specter of people voting neoncon who would not otherwise support their platform if it wasn't for guns.

I do not think these people exist in any real number. Anecdotally, everyone I know who is strongly pro-2nd amendment, but isn't a shitheel neoconservative/lolbertarian tea partier still votes Democrat because the rest of their policies are worth having, and spends their time bitching every time Feinstein sets up for another tilt at the gun control windmill.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Anecdotally, everyone I know who is strongly pro-2nd amendment, but isn't a shitheel neoconservative/lolbertarian tea partier still votes Democrat because the rest of their policies are worth having, and spends their time bitching every time Feinstein sets up for another tilt at the gun control windmill.
Yep. I am this guy, and I know a several more like me.

Gun ownership seems to be growing among younger people who are less apt to vote GOP for other things, so this demographic is likely to grow.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

You keep summoning up the specter of people voting neoncon who would not otherwise support their platform if it wasn't for guns.

I do not think these people exist in any real number. Anecdotally, everyone I know who is strongly pro-2nd amendment, but isn't a shitheel neoconservative/lolbertarian tea partier still votes Democrat because the rest of their policies are worth having, and spends their time bitching every time Feinstein sets up for another tilt at the gun control windmill.
The NRA's entire schtick is to lure people in as your friendly neighborhood gun owner's group and somewhere you can shoot at a range and meet fellow gun owners, and then inform you that Obama's gonna take your guns, would you please donate your money so we can stop this and support good wholesome pro-gun (invariably Republican) candidates

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
me in this thread:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

JT Jag posted:

The NRA's entire schtick is to lure people in as your friendly neighborhood gun owner's group and somewhere you can shoot at a range and meet fellow gun owners, and then inform you that Obama's gonna take your guns, would you please donate your money so we can stop this and support good wholesome pro-gun (invariably Republican) candidates

I dunno, if you're dumb/gullible enough to get drawn in by it you're probably conservative anyways

Most of the gunhavers (here at least) seem to see the NRA as a bunch of nutbars even if they have some appreciation for them arresting any and all gun legislation

Though hopefully they recognize the NRA is creating a toxic environment where no intelligent legislation/reform of existing legislation/better enforcement of existing legislation concerning firearms can even be discussed, much less enacted

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

In all seriousness, based on the interpretation of the 2nd I posted above, under what grounds (other than scarcity) would we be able to decline our 14 year old meth addict from obtaining, say, a nuclear submarine?

Because a nuclear submarine is a weapons carrier, not a weapon in and of itself. Also I'd love to see the meth addict that can slap down $2 billion for a sub :laugh:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

-Troika- posted:

Because a nuclear submarine is a weapons carrier, not a weapon in and of itself. Also I'd love to see the meth addict that can slap down $2 billion for a sub :laugh:

Troika my good man this merely means that his right to have a nuclear submarine has been limited by economic means in a cynical attempt by someone, possibly democrats, to destroy his freedom.

Nuclear submarines should be cheap and available to all.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

-Troika- posted:

A sniper rifle, then. An intercontinental ballistic missile. A landmine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

stealie72 posted:

Yep. I am this guy, and I know a several more like me.

Gun ownership seems to be growing among younger people who are less apt to vote GOP for other things, so this demographic is likely to grow.

Gun ownership is declining and has been for decades.

• Locked thread