Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ride a supermoto however you want, it will be fine. If there is one bike you really don't have to worry about body position on, it's a supermoto

And this is why my riding style is schizophrenic as poo poo. It seems to work really well for me, but I have a weird habit of pushing my FZ6 beneath me in lower (<40mph) speed turns like I do my DRZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
If DRZ's / sumos in general, even in the most tiny niche internet forum fashion, convince some new rider that "body position" isn't really the end-all-be-all of riding fast, god speed. I was totally guilty of this when I started riding and we'd all hit the back roads and lean way off for no reason. I guess multiple years seeing newer riders pop their knee out completely perpendicular to the bike and barely lean the bike 5 degrees has made me cognizant of how much of a dong I must have looked like...

On the DRZ's though there was no doubt and I have no shame. I really enjoyed all the corner workers at the track freaking the gently caress out over the radios as the only supermoto on the track that "some guy's out here riding like he's on a motocross course he's going to hurt himself!". It just feels so right to go leg out.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Baller Witness Bro posted:

On the DRZ's though there was no doubt and I have no shame. I really enjoyed all the corner workers at the track freaking the gently caress out over the radios as the only supermoto on the track that "some guy's out here riding like he's on a motocross course he's going to hurt himself!". It just feels so right to go leg out.

I like the change it up depending on the corner to really gently caress with people. Generally higher speed stuff I'm hanging off and tighter stuff I push the bike down. Last track day it was largely because I got sick of dragging the poo poo out of my toes in tight corners.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Another promo video was posted for the 701.

https://youtu.be/tGh_OHlpg3Q

:swoon:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Funny this topic came up, I've considered flying out to CA for the supermoto school. Call it a vacation and have fun. I wonder if anybody rents drz's or ktms out there so I could ride around for 3 or 4 days afterward. Would be loving awesome! Wouldn't be feasible to ship my bike but all SMs ride relatively the same...

I'm looking to go as well get at me.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I'm looking to go as well get at me.

We should organize a goon group.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Another promo video was posted for the 701.

https://youtu.be/tGh_OHlpg3Q

:swoon:

I'd put a deposit down on one of these but I just know the MSRP will be a little more than I'm willing to spend. Hopefully it ends up around ~$10k but I'm sure it'll be more like $13-14k. For that money, you could buy both a 690 SMC and DRZ, and a bunch of mods for them.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

kylej posted:

I'd put a deposit down on one of these but I just know the MSRP will be a little more than I'm willing to spend. Hopefully it ends up around ~$10k but I'm sure it'll be more like $13-14k. For that money, you could buy both a 690 SMC and DRZ, and a bunch of mods for them.

14k out the door would be really hard to swallow. Still expecting 11k. If it turns out to be that much, I'll hold out for a used 690SMC.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

XYLOPAGUS posted:

hold out for a used 690SMC.

So these exist in the states? I've been beginning to think that we only got the duke, because I haven't been able to find a 690 smc on the used market yet. Esp ebay motors and craigslist.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Coydog posted:

So these exist in the states? I've been beginning to think that we only got the duke, because I haven't been able to find a 690 smc on the used market yet. Esp ebay motors and craigslist.

Super duper rare, but I've seen one on CL a few hundred miles away.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Coydog posted:

Quite a few on Supermoto Junkie and Thumper Talk classifieds.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Coydog posted:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcy/5251159257.html

I searched for Tuono the other day, and got a nice 2nd-gen Tuono, the above bike, and a used 2015 FZ-09. Craig knows.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh wow that's a relief. I was starting to think they were unobtainable like the CBR250RR (the cool i4 one).

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

2008-2013? Or 12? SMCs are hard to come by and usually way overpriced.

Partial Octopus posted:

We should organize a goon group.

I'm only half joking. I can't get the rich local sumo fucks to do it. I'm near-ish enough and can get dudes at the airport or something. Can crash at mine. If we do the weekend course we can just get a quick hotel near for a night. I'll probably just pay the cash to use their bikes because I know I'll go down

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 15, 2015

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Coydog posted:

Oh wow that's a relief. I was starting to think they were unobtainable like the CBR250RR (the cool i4 one).

250rr was never sold in the states, though it was sold in Canada. Just found an 08 690 SMC for 4,800 with 6,xxx miles on it in Corpus Christi.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Is there anything wrong with earlier years of it? 5k would be about the max of my price range, depending. I could go with the wr250x, which I've always liked. But why not go all in on an smc if the oppurtinuty comes up? My searchtempest is maxed out at 1200 miles, so these all seem to be just out of that range.

I'm plenty happy with my ex250 for a while. but was interested to know what to look for in the interim.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The first year, 08 had some flameout issues going from null to low throttle, but those should all be fixed by now. Dealers could fix it. That's basically it.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Was there a difference between the normal 690 and the SMC other than the wheels/brakes?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yes a lot actually. I had a 2007 KTM SM (only year it was made) because it was ugly and flopped.

It's more comfy and highway friendly. A lot less aggressive, I guess. Just made me long for an SMC though and parts are a pain to get

Pretty much if you want a SMC don't even consider the SM for a second

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

XYLOPAGUS posted:

250rr was never sold in the states, though it was sold in Canada. Just found an 08 690 SMC for 4,800 with 6,xxx miles on it in Corpus Christi.

Man that's a pretty good deal. Can't usually find them for less than 7k or so in the Bay.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
That is a good price relative to what else I've seen on Craigslist in Texas. Most of the SMCs I've seen for sale are listed for $8,500+ and have way more miles.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A clean SMC with 6,000 miles for $4,800? poo poo, I'd fly there and ride it home.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

You mean this?

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5259330216.html

It says it's an Enduro R in the ad. Also, looks fake.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Yeah no as everyone else said that's a $7-8k bike by far

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Coydog posted:

Is there anything wrong with earlier years of it? 5k would be about the max of my price range, depending. I could go with the wr250x, which I've always liked. But why not go all in on an smc if the oppurtinuty comes up? My searchtempest is maxed out at 1200 miles, so these all seem to be just out of that range.

2012 got a little more power, 2014 again more (the dual plug head and ride by wire). It also got ABS at some point. I don't know if you'd be able to find any for 5k, could easily pick up a 660 smc for that but eeeeh.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Can someone give me a basic rundown on how to set up stock suspension the drz400sm? I'm going to my first track day with the bike soon and I have no idea how it should be set, or how to set it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Partial Octopus posted:

Can someone give me a basic rundown on how to set up stock suspension the drz400sm? I'm going to my first track day with the bike soon and I have no idea how it should be set, or how to set it.

Just look at a dirt bike suspension video. There are probably some that are just for DRZs. When in doubt, middle settings for everything.

You'll need some kind of center stand/milk crate/log.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

There may be a suspension expert at the track day. It's worth paying him or her 20/30 bucks or whatever and having them set your bike up in the morning so you can ride it and make adjustments all day.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Partial Octopus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_70YesH_87w

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Thanks. That video was helpful.

On the subject of supermoto track riding. Are there any suits that you guys recommend? It seems like most of the race suits are geared towards sport bike riders. I feel like most suits wouldn't be very good for upright riding.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Get an actual supermoto suit. Its worth it.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

The only one I found was MVD but they don't seem to be sold in the US. I'm kind of reluctant to order a suit from France without being able to try it on first.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
You might be able to find an A* S1 suit somewhere.

also search the poo poo out of craigslist and supermoto forums. thats where I've found mine.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Craigslist and ebay turned up nothing. I'll check the supermoto forums but I'd rather find something new. Do you know of any suits still in production?

This seems like the closest thing to a supermoto suit I could find. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-orbiter-race-suit the description makes it sound like it would be fine for upright riding position.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

cursedshitbox posted:

Get an actual supermoto suit. Its worth it.

Can confirm. I rode in a sportbike suit for a while and when it came time to stand up, you kind of had to pick a side or endure some pretty gnarly testicular trauma. It may also have been a bit small, but you know...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
for me it was always knees, elbows, and balls. Sometimes quads and chest depending on the cut of the suit.

fwiw I've found 2 of my 3 sm suits on craigs, the third I bought new off TT.

E: searchtempest country wide search gives me this.

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mpo/5244065736.html

maybe dude will ship..

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 19, 2015

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Partial Octopus posted:

The only one I found was MVD but they don't seem to be sold in the US. I'm kind of reluctant to order a suit from France without being able to try it on first.

http://www.mvdusa.com/

All your MVD needs here in the USA

edit:

http://www.klutch-industries.com/Jerseys/

This is actually the better storefront but it is all through the same guy

500excf type r fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 21, 2015

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Today I learned that CBR250 cast wheels will work on CRF250Ls. By the time spring time arrives, I should have a complete CRF250 supermoto.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I've wanted a small displacement crf sumo since I took my BRC on one. I'd normally be against cast wheels on a sumo, but looking up what that would look like, I heartily approve of your plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

CBR250 wheels are ~100 bucks shipped on ebay while the cheapest supermoto wheels I can find are still 600-700 shipped. Those are OEM honda crf250M wheels from Thailand, other brands obviously get much more expensive. There are some minor issues id need to figure out regarding a front brake rotor and bracket but that is a lot easier to do with poo poo in front of me rather than googling other people's anecdotes.

edit:

500excf type r fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 23, 2015

• Locked thread