Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

Scudworth posted:

Did you know that Tylenol can kill you? Just straight up kill you.

You already know this is a ridiculous issue.

Hah, thanks. I just needed someone to tell me that. I have an unfortunate history of going to the doctor thinking I'm being a hypochondriac with vague symptoms like "joint pain" and "fatigue", preparing to hear the "it's all in your head" speech, and then walking away with a diagnosis of a physical chronic illness. So I've lost all sense of perspective as to what's silly and what's a real possibility, because it turns out it sometimes is lupus. :( I also tend to get the weird uncommon side effects of medications, so I'm a bit more wary of things even when they're widely prescribed. (Did you know Zyrtec-D can cause insomnia and paranoia? I had no idea until I didn't sleep for two days and called my mom to tell her goodbye because I was convinced with absolute certainty that I was going to die. Luckily she made the connection between starting a new medication and my sudden batshit craziness.)

I seriously can't understand why acetaminophen is still on the market. That poo poo would never get past the current FDA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

ilysespieces posted:

Obviously anecdotal, but this is how it was/is for me. The first few periods were like the elevator scene from the Shining..

This is me right now, 2 days after insertion. I was maybe kind of on my period when I got it in, but it was one of those noncommittal Mirena periods. Is this normal? Ahhhh

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

totally normal, this is the next year of your life

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I am on my first period after insertion. The uh, main show hasn't really arrived, as it were, but it does feel like someone is scooping out my inside with a grapefruit spoon. Oh, but I found my strings! They're tucked very far away, but very much there.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I just got home from the hospital and am now officially sterilized! I'm still a little tired from the anesthesia right now, but I'll try my best to get some kind of write-up of my experience together for the thread later on.

For now I'll just say that I lucked out with no nausea whatsoever and the pain is basically just like a slightly worse version of the cramps I got with Paragard early on. It's rough, but tolerable and I have painkillers on the way whenever my prescriptions get picked up. :toot: Overall it's been much easier than I expected really.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Kimmalah posted:

I just got home from the hospital and am now officially sterilized! I'm still a little tired from the anesthesia right now, but I'll try my best to get some kind of write-up of my experience together for the thread later on.

For now I'll just say that I lucked out with no nausea whatsoever and the pain is basically just like a slightly worse version of the cramps I got with Paragard early on. It's rough, but tolerable and I have painkillers on the way whenever my prescriptions get picked up. :toot: Overall it's been much easier than I expected really.

:hf:

Had my tubal a week ago today. It did get pretty rough there in the middle, because like a moron I managed to schedule my surgery recovery to occur at the same time as my period, so it was cramps^2. Hang in there. Being sterilized is a wonderful feeling -- the nurse told me that the first thing I said after waking up from anesthesia was "no babies :q: " and that I wouldn't stop grinning like a loon.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
So after a few years with no period, thanks to Mirena, I'm back to bleeding every month. I've got five months left on this thing before I'm due to switch to a new one. Anyone know if my period will go away again once I've switched?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

uberwekkness posted:

So after a few years with no period, thanks to Mirena, I'm back to bleeding every month. I've got five months left on this thing before I'm due to switch to a new one. Anyone know if my period will go away again once I've switched?

It's kind of impossible to tell because bodies be crazy but I would think maybe you might since you'd be back up to the higher progesterone dosage. The progesterone dosage drops off in the Mirena (it's still effective of course) in the last year or so and some women get their periods back to some degree.

I've just passed 3 years so I am curious as to what will happen. I've had 3 spotting events this year. And by spotting I mean like for a couple of hours.

You ladies gettin' tubals gives me hope for 2017 when my Mirena is up. My Plan A is to ask for a tubal and Plan B (no pun) is just another Mirena.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

IUD update: I have been spotting for four days. I thought that was my period.

:v: I was wrong, so loving wrong. Starting this morning, I thought I was going to die. At the suggestion of my friend, I got a burger (for iron!). So, just for statistical purposes: I would estimate that compared to my adult-era period, this is 150% more painful and bleedy. Compared to my teen years, it's about the same. So, very heavy period, very hurty, but this is par for the course. It seems as if I am experiencing a very textbook IUD. So, for future IUD-havers: it hurts, but at least you don't need to set a timer.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I'm curious, does having a good reaction to depo indicated a likeliness that one will tolerate nexplanon well, and vice-versa? Everyone asks me for advice re: implants and a girl told me she uses the shot and was thinking of an implant.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.

cash crab posted:

:v: I was wrong, so loving wrong. Starting this morning, I thought I was going to die. At the suggestion of my friend, I got a burger (for iron!). So, just for statistical purposes: I would estimate that compared to my adult-era period, this is 150% more painful and bleedy. Compared to my teen years, it's about the same. So, very heavy period, very hurty, but this is par for the course. It seems as if I am experiencing a very textbook IUD. So, for future IUD-havers: it hurts, but at least you don't need to set a timer.

D: augh this will be me in a week.

(you're my benchmark for this)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

OK, hopefully I didn't scare anyone with my absence. I'm not dead, just had a rocky few days!

So like I posted before, I had my tubal done last Thursday (Sept. 24th) and I thought I'd try to write it up as best I can for you guys. I'm not sure where to start with it since there was some preperation involved but I'll just give it my best shot I guess.

Pre-Op Appointment:

This mostly just involved picking up some paperwork at the ob/gyn office and taking it over to the hospital (which in this case was right next door). I went ahead and did all the registration paperwork so I could basically just walk in and go on my way on the day of the surgery. Then I was taken back and given a few tests - some bloodwork, a urine pregnancy test and an EKG (which was only a precaution they did in my case because I'd had a heart problem long in the past). After that, I talked with a nurse about my health history pretty extensively, then she gave me my instructions for what to do the day before surgery to prepare and some special wipes to prep my skin.

Day before surgery:

I pretty much spent this whole day cleaning and washing everything I could so I wouldn't have to worry about any kind of housework for at least the next few days to a week. To prepare for the actual surgery, I first wasn't supposed to shower until about 10 PM (this apparently varies depending on when you plan to go to bed). After that I had to wait an hour and then use the special wipes I'd gotten at the hospital - kind of like a cross between a washcloth and a baby wipe. This involved me scrubbing most of my torso for 3 minutes one way, then 3 minutes another direction with a second wipe (2 to a pack). I also had to verify I did this by saving a sticker from the package and sticking it to some paperwork for the next day. After I was all air-dried off, I was to put on clean clothes and basically just not eat or drink anything after midnight.

Surgery:

At 6:30 AM, I had to use another 2-pack of the wipes on my skin like I did the night before. Then my mother and I went off to the hospital since I had to be there by 7:30. Checking in was no big deal since I was all pre-registered and I got called back pretty soon after I arrived. I went back alone and immediately had to hand in the paperwork with the stickers to verify I'd done the skin prep. Then I was given a room and told to change into a hospital gown/socks. After that the nurses started an IV on me and gave IV Pepcid to help prevent nausea later. The nurses also did a lot of the "usual" stuff like listening to my lungs and asking about my health history. My mom was called back once I had gotten settled so I didn't have to sit around by myself for too long. After that it was mostly a matter of waiting. Occasionally a nurse or the anesthesiologist would pop in to talk to me about the surgery or my health history.

I think it was close to 9:00 AM when the surgeon came in and talked to me about everything. She mostly was double-checking that I was sure, that this was difficult to reverse so should be considered permanent and we talked about what she would be doing. I went ahead with the Filshie clips since they are really really reliable as sterilization methods go and I don't think switching to a full-on tube removal at the last minute would have been an option. So they wheeled me back to the OR, had me shuffle over from the gurney on to the table, then the nurse gave me a shot in my IV and that's all I remember of that.

My mom says it was all done in less than an hour from the time they took me out until I came back. I woke up in recovery feeling really good actually except for an insane case of dry mouth. They gave me this weird little moistened sponge on a stick to suck on and wheeled me back to my original room. After that I just kind of hung out until the nurses let me out of bed to try and pee, since that's the litmus test that determines whether you go home or not. I stood up no problem and peed, so I got to go home pretty shortly after that. I was back home around 1:40-something or so.

Recovery:

The first few hours after that were not too bad, but there was some pain. Mostly a really crampy pain that reminded me of a bad Paragard period so it wasn't too bad (plus I had Vicodin). Otherwise I was mostly just tired and still had a really bad case of dry mouth no matter how much I tried to drink.

The worst thing I've dealt with is apparently kind of a rare side-effect of pelvic surgery that some people get, where your bladder just kind of decides to go on strike for a few days or weeks. For some reason I had no trouble at the hospital, but as the night went on it got progressively worse until the next morning when I could barely pee at all. So I went back to the ob/gyn feeling like I was going to explode, they had to do a catheter on me and gave me some medication to help keep my bladder from spasming. The medicine seems to have done its work and I'm all right now.

Other than that, the only pain I have now is mostly from the C02 gas trapped under my ribs and some minor abdominal pain that feels like a pulled muscle. I haven't needed the painkillers they gave me since that first day. I have one small (1 inch maybe?) incision right above where the pubic hair starts and another incision in my belly button. I have a couple of stitches on each and I think they might have glued everything too. Right now the only things that are bothersome are the C02 and the cold I apparently caught from being in and out of medical facilities so much lately. I haven't had much bleeding other than some occasional spotting off and on.

So that's kind of it! I have a post-op appointment on this coming Thursday, hopefully to get my stitches out and everything. Then I just have to wrap my mind around having a birth control that you can't really check, which will take some getting used to. :ohdear:

cash crab posted:

Yeah, Paragard periods can be rough and it's really amazing some times - like where is all this blood coming from? Heat and ibuprofen really work wonders for it though. And if you're using tampons, turns out they make an absorbency way beyond super-plus that became a real lifesaver for me some days. It does get better, I promise!

Splish
Sep 17, 2008

Hummingbirds posted:

I'm curious, does having a good reaction to depo indicated a likeliness that one will tolerate nexplanon well, and vice-versa? Everyone asks me for advice re: implants and a girl told me she uses the shot and was thinking of an implant.

I was on depo for about....2.5 years or so and switched to the implant back in January. I asked my doc if it would be an easy transition. My periods stopped with the first or second shot of depo and I didn't want to loose that! She wouldn't tell me straight up they probably wouldn't come back, but she did say that the lining of my uterus was probably very thin after two years of depo which would decrease the chances of a period. Nine months later, not so much as a spot, and if anything fewer side effects. I used to get canker sores around the end of the depo cycle and that hasn't been an issue. No weight gain either, though I have a fairly physical job that might cancel that out.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

I know you're in the middle of recovering right now -- hope you're doing okay! -- but I was going to PM you and couldn't. I was wondering if you could elaborate a little on that "flat" feeling you described a couple of times with regards to hormonal bc pills. I'm still struggling with this and I want some more confirmation from others that this isn't something I'm just imagining. :shobon:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Urban Wizard posted:

I know you're in the middle of recovering right now -- hope you're doing okay! -- but I was going to PM you and couldn't. I was wondering if you could elaborate a little on that "flat" feeling you described a couple of times with regards to hormonal bc pills. I'm still struggling with this and I want some more confirmation from others that this isn't something I'm just imagining. :shobon:

Yeah, sorry I'm cheap and don't have plat. I am recovering nicely - for anyone who's curious about the process I've really felt perfectly normal since about Monday. My only complaints are that my stitches are getting itchy (but they should come out tomorrow) and I just started my period, but I'm only allowed to use pads. :mad:

Anyway as for the "flat" feeling, for me it was just like I didn't really have any strong emotions or strong variations in mood month to month. I wasn't sad or depressed and I still had emotions, but I just never really felt anything strongly. I also normally have a tendency to get PMS/mood swings right before my period and that completely disappeared while I was on the pill. I'm not sure if that was what you were looking for, if not I'll keep trying to answer the question! :)

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Kimmalah posted:

Yeah, sorry I'm cheap and don't have plat. I am recovering nicely - for anyone who's curious about the process I've really felt perfectly normal since about Monday. My only complaints are that my stitches are getting itchy (but they should come out tomorrow) and I just started my period, but I'm only allowed to use pads. :mad:

Anyway as for the "flat" feeling, for me it was just like I didn't really have any strong emotions or strong variations in mood month to month. I wasn't sad or depressed and I still had emotions, but I just never really felt anything strongly. I also normally have a tendency to get PMS/mood swings right before my period and that completely disappeared while I was on the pill. I'm not sure if that was what you were looking for, if not I'll keep trying to answer the question! :)

I'm so glad your recovery is going smoothly! The thing I am struggling with is that it seems like everything passes in a haze. I still experience emotions but they never seem to stick around for long, or feel as strong. Things that would normally make me extremely happy and excited don't register with the same intensity at all and it feels more difficult to enjoy things I am interested in. I also had a pretty intense mood change right before my period that has disappeared. Does that sound anything similar to what you mean? Obviously it's hard to tell what is the pill and what could just be regular problems but I'm hoping my obgyn will be helpful again.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Urban Wizard posted:

I'm so glad your recovery is going smoothly! The thing I am struggling with is that it seems like everything passes in a haze. I still experience emotions but they never seem to stick around for long, or feel as strong. Things that would normally make me extremely happy and excited don't register with the same intensity at all and it feels more difficult to enjoy things I am interested in. I also had a pretty intense mood change right before my period that has disappeared. Does that sound anything similar to what you mean? Obviously it's hard to tell what is the pill and what could just be regular problems but I'm hoping my obgyn will be helpful again.

I didn't really have the loss of interest in things I enjoy but yes, the rest is a good description. I still felt things like happiness/sadness/anger but they just weren't very intense or long-lasting. For instance, at the time I was having a lot of relationship issues and a lot of stuff that normally would have really really pissed me off just kind of bothered me a little, then I just kind of let it go (when I shouldn't have). And like I said before, the week before my period would normally involve some serious mood swings that just disappeared the whole time I was on the pill, which actually was the only nice part of the deal to me. :v:

The tricky part of this is it's really tough to tell what the cause is. I know I honestly didn't notice most of this until I got my IUD and stopped taking hormonal BC altogether.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Kimmalah posted:

I didn't really have the loss of interest in things I enjoy but yes, the rest is a good description. I still felt things like happiness/sadness/anger but they just weren't very intense or long-lasting. For instance, at the time I was having a lot of relationship issues and a lot of stuff that normally would have really really pissed me off just kind of bothered me a little, then I just kind of let it go (when I shouldn't have). And like I said before, the week before my period would normally involve some serious mood swings that just disappeared the whole time I was on the pill, which actually was the only nice part of the deal to me. :v:

The tricky part of this is it's really tough to tell what the cause is. I know I honestly didn't notice most of this until I got my IUD and stopped taking hormonal BC altogether.

Thanks again! I am definitely going to see about trying different things to try and determine if the BC is the cause of this or not. It's always fun how little doctors prepare you for the possible psychological and mental side effects of this lol. I honestly don't know if an IUD will be an option for me with my endo but at least I can try to figure out what is causing this fog.

Out of pure curiosity, how were the gas pains after your surgery?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Urban Wizard posted:

Thanks again! I am definitely going to see about trying different things to try and determine if the BC is the cause of this or not. It's always fun how little doctors prepare you for the possible psychological and mental side effects of this lol. I honestly don't know if an IUD will be an option for me with my endo but at least I can try to figure out what is causing this fog.

Out of pure curiosity, how were the gas pains after your surgery?

I'd imagine part of the problem is psychological effects can be a little harder to pin down and quantify in a concrete way like the physical ones. But I hope you figure it out! I don't know how it works with endometriosis involved, but maybe even something like Mirena or Skyla could work because the hormone levels are pretty low compared to the pill. Or maybe something like Implanon? I just went non-hormonal because I didn't have the patience or the money to keep trying all kinds of different options, plus I was getting horrible migraines.

The gas: The first few days it felt just like it does when you're really bloated and gassy in your stomach, except you can't burp or fart it out. :v: It hurt the most when I would shift position, like going from sitting to laying down in bed. And when I bent over I could feel big bubbles shift around in my abdomen which wasn't painful but felt kind of freaky. By about Sunday I guess? it felt like everything kind of rose up directly under my diaphragm/ribcage, which also wasn't very painful but made me feel really bloated and a little short of breath sometimes. It's kind of just magically gotten less and less everyday until about Monday when everything in my abdomen felt normal. And yes I did get the infamous shoulder pains that everyone talks about. It wasn't a constant thing, but it is very annoying (like pressure up under my collarbone with every breath). I haven't had it yet today, so maybe it's gone! :) The doctors will tell you this about a million times, but getting up and moving does really help with the bloated feeling.

If you're curious about the pain in general: the worst of it was in the hours immediately after surgery when I was at home. It felt like really intense menstrual cramps. By the next morning that had pretty much gone away and I had no problems stopping the heavy-duty painkillers then - not to be a tough person, but because I thought they might be making my pee problem worse. I just counted and I have like 22 pain pills leftover out of a 30 pill supply. :stare:

Edit: I was a little hesitant to post this because I don't want to discourage the Paragard people, but I think I just finished the shortest period I've had in years. Still on the heavy side, but I guess we'll see in a few months.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 3, 2015

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Hey so, Nuvaring question. Does anybody else feel completely weird for the week that it's out?

It works great for me. Muuuuch lighter, shorter periods. The only downside is I feel bizarre during the period week. Anxious, dizzy, random aches and pains, just feeling off. I assume it's all hormones being wacky, but just wondered if this was common. As it is I do two rings in a row with no off week between as per my Dr. I could go three, but I'm paranoid and prefer to know I'm not pregnant.

So yeah, anybody else feel like a twitchy freak on their off week?

Anoulie
Oct 8, 2013
Those of you who experienced side effects on the pill (specifically progestin-only or even more specifically etonogestrel), when did you start noticing them?

I want to get the Implanon, but I've never taken hormonal birth control before and I don't wanna waste hundreds of dollars to find out it makes me fat/uninterested in sex/depressed/etc. so I wanna take it in pill form for a while before actually getting the implant, and I'm wondering how long that trial period should be.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
They usually say to give any method three months. But they're all different hormones in different dosages, so even if you respond well/badly to one pill, it doesn't mean you'll respond well/badly to any other method.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Anoulie posted:

Those of you who experienced side effects on the pill (specifically progestin-only or even more specifically etonogestrel), when did you start noticing them?

I want to get the Implanon, but I've never taken hormonal birth control before and I don't wanna waste hundreds of dollars to find out it makes me fat/uninterested in sex/depressed/etc. so I wanna take it in pill form for a while before actually getting the implant, and I'm wondering how long that trial period should be.

Some you'll notice right away, some might take a few months or more to come up. Your body also adjusts to the hormones after a while, so some side-effects may go away after a few weeks/months too. I'm guessing the dosages are probably going to differ a bit between the pill and implant so that could be a factor too.

Also if you do decide to take the pill form and need it for birth control purposes at the time, make sure you really stick to a schedule with it (as in take it at the same exact time everyday). Progestin-only pills are much less forgiving in that respect than combined pills.

akulol
Apr 14, 2008
Paragard update:

I started getting cramps at 5 am last Wednesday, conveniently before I was supposed to take a fun trip to Portland. Had consistent cramps that weren't notably severe until I started actually bleeding Sunday. Monday was alright.. just a couple ibuprofens and I didn't even notice. Today (Tuesday) has been insanely bad. I've taken more painkillers than is probably safe, but I had to lecture and I can't do that in the fetal position. They come in waves.. for a while I'm totally fine, and for a minute or two I feel like I'm going to vomit. I hope all of the subsequent periods aren't like this. Usually, I felt like, my uterus and I had a deal. The day before my period starts and day 1 of bleeding, the cramps are allowed to be bad. After that, I just bleed and feel nothing. I guess paragard has other ideas...

I don't feel like it's been a crazy volume of blood, really - it seems about the same as before.

I hate this. My cat is trying to heal me with vibrations, I think. That's nice of him.

Not Your Senorita
May 25, 2007

Don't you recognize me? It's-a me, Mario!
Nap Ghost
Have you tried using a heating pad or heated blanket or something similar? My cramps without birth control are just like your Paragard ones, and when slamming handfuls of OTC painkillers into my face didn't do enough, heat pads would usually help a lot. I definitely don't miss them, though I am sorry you have to deal with that poo poo!

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

My new obgyn is fantastic and got me in to see her last week as opposed to having to wait until December. Current consensus is to try a few months without any birth control to see if my mood issues improve (so far, so good, though it's possible it's just wishful thinking!), but of course that means my Hell Periods are back. She prescribed me toradol/ketorolac to take one on really bad days. I've only had to use it once but it seemed to make the nightmare cramps ease up almost immediately (thought it did also make me drowsy as hell for a couple of hours). So, guess this is my life until December when we decide to continue without hormonal BC or try a different option.

akulol, you definitely have my sympathy with the nightmare cramps. Like Not Your Senorita said, when you're not cramming ibuprofen into your face, use a heating pad. I found that using one on my stomach and one on my back was best. Also, applying pressure to the pressure points in your lower back can help temporarily too. What painkiller are you using? Before I got my prescription for this new stuff, Advil worked best for me.

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

Urban Wizard posted:

akulol, you definitely have my sympathy with the nightmare cramps. Like Not Your Senorita said, when you're not cramming ibuprofen into your face, use a heating pad. I found that using one on my stomach and one on my back was best. Also, applying pressure to the pressure points in your lower back can help temporarily too. What painkiller are you using? Before I got my prescription for this new stuff, Advil worked best for me.

I definitely need to invest in a heating pad. I was hosed yesterday though because I had no time in which I could just sit around and be heating padded. Today was better cramp wise, but holy poo poo, I didn't know my body could survive with this much blood loss, haha. I tried acetaminophen yesterday just to not have taken 1000 ibuprofens, but they did nothing, so I took 1000 ibuprofens.

related/unrelated: the last few times i've had sex, it's been painful in positions that get pretty deep. I've had the same partner this whole time and nothing has changed on his end, and we aren't doing anything different. It almost feels like he's slamming into internal organs. I've got my monthly checkup tomorrow and I'm definitely going to ask about it, but has anyone else experienced anything like this? I've never felt anything like that before ever with anyone.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
He is slamming into internal organs! It's your cervix. It moves up and down depending on where you are in your cycle and how turned on you are. It varies more between people, though, like some people's are always touchable/slammable and some people's are way up there. If you don't like it, there are positions that only allow for shallower penetration. It's not doing any real harm, but you can definitely ask for the doctor to take a look at your checkup.

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

He is slamming into internal organs! It's your cervix. It moves up and down depending on where you are in your cycle and how turned on you are. It varies more between people, though, like some people's are always touchable/slammable and some people's are way up there. If you don't like it, there are positions that only allow for shallower penetration. It's not doing any real harm, but you can definitely ask for the doctor to take a look at your checkup.

I kind of assumed it was that - but it's been 4 or 5 months of sleeping together most days and that's never happened until a week or so ago! Perhaps he'd been hitting it before and it just didn't hurt then?

Will report back after doctor.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Sterilization update: Even though my IUD was non-hormonal, I've definitely felt a little something going on. A bit moody, a bit of acne, etc. But it's mostly passed now. I've also somehow lost 5 pounds and my belly has gotten noticeably smaller. It had gotten a little weird and bloated over the years. I assumed it was because I've just gained weight in general, but maybe I was retaining some fluid too. Overall I feel pretty normal over here, for anyone considering a tubal but worried about side-effects.

akulol posted:

I kind of assumed it was that - but it's been 4 or 5 months of sleeping together most days and that's never happened until a week or so ago! Perhaps he'd been hitting it before and it just didn't hurt then?

Will report back after doctor.

I definitely noticed my cervix and uterus seemed to get a little more sensitive to being hit or jostled around during sex. For me it wasn't unpleasant most of the time, but it was kind of a fine line between "this feels good/oh I'm going to be sick." But even a lot of women without IUDs find getting hit in the cervix to be pretty drat painful.

As for the cramps: heat really is great for the cramps ibuprofen doesn't touch. If you need a heating pad but you can't really just sit around on the couch all day, they make these awesome little heat pads that you can stick inside your underwear. They work really well and don't show through your pants or anything (unless you're wearing something really thin/skin tight I guess). I used the kind made by Thermacare and they were a lifesaver on the days when I had to be up and about at work during those first few months - they come in 3 packs for fairly cheap and last a good 12+ hours each.

Your periods will eventually improve, but for me the major turnaround wasn't until about the 6 month mark. After that my periods felt pretty normal and cramp-free except for maybe an off day or two every few months.

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

Kimmalah posted:

I definitely noticed my cervix and uterus seemed to get a little more sensitive to being hit or jostled around during sex. For me it wasn't unpleasant most of the time, but it was kind of a fine line between "this feels good/oh I'm going to be sick." But even a lot of women without IUDs find getting hit in the cervix to be pretty drat painful.

As for the cramps: heat really is great for the cramps ibuprofen doesn't touch. If you need a heating pad but you can't really just sit around on the couch all day, they make these awesome little heat pads that you can stick inside your underwear. They work really well and don't show through your pants or anything (unless you're wearing something really thin/skin tight I guess). I used the kind made by Thermacare and they were a lifesaver on the days when I had to be up and about at work during those first few months - they come in 3 packs for fairly cheap and last a good 12+ hours each.

Your periods will eventually improve, but for me the major turnaround wasn't until about the 6 month mark. After that my periods felt pretty normal and cramp-free except for maybe an off day or two every few months.

I will definitely investigate those!! Thank you!

Doctor said the strings look fine and that she thought the pain was somehow period related - which I suppose makes sense, given how badly that entire area hurts. She said to wait it out a few months :( it's just odd because I had a Mirena before this and it only hurt to have sex the day or so after I got it in.

One day, I will have pain free, worry free, infection free sex with my boyfriend. One day.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

akulol posted:

I will definitely investigate those!! Thank you!

Doctor said the strings look fine and that she thought the pain was somehow period related - which I suppose makes sense, given how badly that entire area hurts. She said to wait it out a few months :( it's just odd because I had a Mirena before this and it only hurt to have sex the day or so after I got it in.

One day, I will have pain free, worry free, infection free sex with my boyfriend. One day.

I do remember that in the days leading up to and during my period, pretty much my whole pelvic/lower back area would get kind of sore to varying degrees. Like this weird pain that was almost "in the bones" or something. It wasn't a constant thing and it did improve over time, but on the worst days sex would have been the last thing I'd want to do.

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back
I had to get my paragard removed after ten months of yeast infections before and after almost every 7 day period. it really turned into the opposite of all natural maximum horny levels without hormones that I hoped to achieve without condoms. seemed to be a toss up if sex would trigger an infection. tried lots of different lubes, ate a lot of yogurt, gentle external water rinse only, no panties to bed, etc all this stuff my obgyn recommended to no avail.

i switched back to nuvaring. crossing my fingers that i can handle that foreign object and the shorter periods don't obliterate my flora. I think I would be happy to take regular ocp again if I could be yeast free. really disappointed but at least the removal was extremely easy vs insertion.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I've heard NuvaRing can be pretty notorious for causing yeast infections as well, but if it worked for you before then maybe it will again. :shrug: It's a really individual thing - I'm normally really prone to them but that's one thing Paragard never did to me.

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

Kyashi posted:

I had to get my paragard removed after ten months of yeast infections before and after almost every 7 day period. it really turned into the opposite of all natural maximum horny levels without hormones that I hoped to achieve without condoms. seemed to be a toss up if sex would trigger an infection. tried lots of different lubes, ate a lot of yogurt, gentle external water rinse only, no panties to bed, etc all this stuff my obgyn recommended to no avail.

i switched back to nuvaring. crossing my fingers that i can handle that foreign object and the shorter periods don't obliterate my flora. I think I would be happy to take regular ocp again if I could be yeast free. really disappointed but at least the removal was extremely easy vs insertion.

I super, super know that feel. The last year or so, I feel like anything can set off a yeast infection. "a toss up if sex would trigger an infection" sounds like the last 4 months of my life. It's the worst. I've been taking some hippie bullshit anti-yeast stuff (note: i do not really believe in hippie medicine but the placebo effect is a real thing, haha) and chugging the yogurt like a champ and I feel like I'm juuuust holding one back. I wish I could offer some advice :( if you figure out how to fix it, by all means, please tell me!!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

One of the best things was when my doctor just wrote me a prescription for Diflucan (fluconazole) that had a ton of refills. Even without insurance it's like still equal to or cheaper than most of the OTC treatments and really effective. Cutting way back on sugar (which even a lot of yogurt is full of) worked well for me too, but I'm sure the doctor has mentioned that.

Another possibility is that it isn't yeast and you're just itchy - I've gone to the doctor a few times convinced I had a yeast infection but no, just itching like crazy for no reason. Switching stuff like soap, the detergent I used on my underwear and the pantiliners I used helped a lot. Apparently at the clinic I went to, they get a ton of complaints like that about the Always pantiliners I was using at the time. :iiam:

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 17, 2015

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back

Kimmalah posted:

One of the best things was when my doctor just wrote me a prescription for Diflucan (fluconazole) that had a ton of refills. Even without insurance it's like still equal to or cheaper than most of the OTC treatments and really effective. Cutting way back on sugar (which even a lot of yogurt is full of) worked well for me too, but I'm sure the doctor has mentioned that.

Another possibility is that it isn't yeast and you're just itchy - I've gone to the doctor a few times convinced I had a yeast infection but no, just itching like crazy for no reason. Switching stuff like soap, the detergent I used on my underwear and the pantiliners I used helped a lot. Apparently at the clinic I went to, they get a ton of complaints like that about the Always pantiliners I was using at the time. :iiam:

I had plenty of Diflucan on hand and it was good. She did mention the sugar and the most sugary thing I was eating at the time was the yogurt :shrug:

At first I would always rush to the doctor for a confirmation but I definitely had gross discharge every time. It's been about four weeks, switching to nuvaring with my period gave me a 14 day period argh why. Thought I felt itchy after the first time I had sex since then so I took a Diflucan just in case. I've had sex a few more times without crazy yeast. I did have a couple days of itching without discharge that stopped. This is much better than before.

Waiting on my next cycle before getting my hopes up that I fixed myself by having it removed. Before this the only yeast infections I had was after a night with a new water based lube and then right after my pap with my current obgyn and the lube again. I've tried silicone and now coconut oil and those seemed to help.

The worst has been my bf catching yeast twice and the worrying and std testing and having sex once a week at best. It was turning into a real strain. :(

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!
Just to share a positive story: I got my Paraguard inserted in May. I had two slightly heavy periods, and now I have normal periods.

It's still there, it's not like it fell out and I didn't notice. I was prepared for the worst but it's...normal?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Nouvelle Vague posted:

Just to share a positive story: I got my Paraguard inserted in May. I had two slightly heavy periods, and now I have normal periods.

It's still there, it's not like it fell out and I didn't notice. I was prepared for the worst but it's...normal?

Yeah, you're fine. I got mine in January 2011 and I've been pretty much okay. My periods on LoEstrinFE were non-existent, just spotting. The ring was fine, I had pretty normal periods. My Paragard was pretty annoying at first until I figured out that my painful times during my periods equated to needing more regular poops. A laxative/stool softener/cigarette fixed everything, unless I forget, then I can fix it. My periods have been a little weird compared to hormonal BC/nothing at all in that they'll start off slow, then have a day of murder pants (not really that bad, just my cup will fill up in less than 12 hours, more like I need to empty in 10 hours when I get home from work rather than it's fine until I go to bed in 15 or 16 hours. On most of the other days I'm fine emptying my cup at 7 am and then again somewhere between 6 and midnight, whenever is convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Nouvelle Vague posted:

Glad it's working out for you! It's good to hear some people have it easier, it took me like 6 months to get to normal and I still had some pretty heavy days. Which sucks now because I've stocked up on the giant super-absorbent tampons that will probably take forever to use up now.

Everything with the tubal is working out fine. I haven't had any weird side-effects like everyone on the internet says you will (the old "Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome") - I feel perfectly normal. A little better in fact, since I think I must have been a little small for the Paragard or something, as I could always sort of feel weird little pains in my pelvis if I bent or twisted a certain way. Sex has also been perfectly fine and pain/complication-free, for anyone concerned about that. :pervert:

• Locked thread