Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

My Q-Face posted:

You really should rectify this. It's the one role where Allen didn't play himself, and possibly the only reason he gets live action work anymore.

Is it on any of the standard streaming sites? I checked Netflix and Prime really quick and didn't see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

chaosbreather posted:

Star Trek: Wavefront
The USS Wavefront, NX-42583, is a new trial by Utopia Planetia Shipyards and the Starfleet Corps of Engineers to staff a ship with its original builders and designers, a totally unique ship that will continue to be modified and improved during its 5 year mission to seek out new life forms, buy or barter some technology off them, and pimp their ride a little more to advance the shipbuilding state-of-the-art. The crew of the Wavefront is therefore about half explorers, people who would ordinarily would be exploring strange new worlds but for the last couple of years have been knee-deep in the design and construction of this bold new experiment, and half builders, who have never really been exposed to the danger and excitement of deep space, who have no idea what they're getting their head into.

Half the story would be told in flashback, so while we see the builders experiencing exploration for the very first time, so we get to empathise with them and feel wonder at something that should be special, it's anchored by the career officers trying to adjust to the rough and almost equally stressful conditions of drydock life, dealing for the first time with creative egos clashing to found the friendships and root the technical solutions used in the A plot.

Luna-born ex-spy human captain, Andorian first officer, vulcan science chief, female Ferengi conn officer.

Your show would be titled, Star Trek: Asperger's.

Engineers are boring socially awkward nerds. Nobody wants to watch a show about them. Nobody wants to watch them redesigning the ship all the time. Nobody wants to hear their stories about how they rewired something and made it work better.

You'd have episodes like: the first woman comes on board, and everyone loses their poo poo. Half the crew begins badly flirting with her, the other half treats her like crap because no girls allowed. She finally goes to see Captain Reginald Barclay about the problem. He awkardly flirts with her, she gets angry and leaves the ship for good. The crew realizes they are better off with holodeck women.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Figaro posted:

Klingons killed their God/Creator. Says it all really

So THAT'S what happened to Gene L. Coon. :ohdear:

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Shadow posted:

I've never watched Farscape. Was the main character non-human, and the side character who was human basically their Worf? Didn't fit in much anywhere, especially with other humans?

No, I must've switched it around in my head.
The main character was a human who didn't quite fit in among the aliens he was with and didn't really fit in with other humans when he met up with them.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I watched Galaxy Quest and it was p good but I'm going to be really surprised if a series based on that premise has legs

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Shadow posted:

Is it on any of the standard streaming sites? I checked Netflix and Prime really quick and didn't see it.

It's for rent on Prime, I don't know about anywhere else, I can't find it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Tujague posted:

I watched Galaxy Quest and it was p good but I'm going to be really surprised if a series based on that premise has legs

Yeah I wish they'd just leave stuff be sometimes. The Wet Hot American Summer miniseries was pretty bad.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Orange Sunshine posted:

Your show would be titled, Star Trek: Asperger's.

Engineers are boring socially awkward nerds. Nobody wants to watch a show about them. Nobody wants to watch them redesigning the ship all the time. Nobody wants to hear their stories about how they rewired something and made it work better.

You'd have episodes like: the first woman comes on board, and everyone loses their poo poo. Half the crew begins badly flirting with her, the other half treats her like crap because no girls allowed. She finally goes to see Captain Reginald Barclay about the problem. He awkardly flirts with her, she gets angry and leaves the ship for good. The crew realizes they are better off with holodeck women.

Yeah, if Brannon and Braga wrote it.

Part of the show's charm and much of the narrative drive would come from the strong personality clashes and evolving political situations. The solutions to ship problems would never be 'rewiring a thing', it's getting the guy who designed that part to tell someone, anyone, how the gently caress it works so it can be rerouted. Or finding common ground between a structural engineer and a weapons savant. Or mediating a dispute of who gets first authorship on a paper. The utopia planetia and engineer corps both have very different backgrounds and motivations as it is and just that can cause conflicts with the professional starfleet crew who find themselves in a minority and have to learn to work with these people and teach them (and the audience) why they go to space, why they're always moving, as the builders taught them why they're building. Ultimately, that's what show is about : passion.

Key to the shipboard dynamics is the Andorian first officer, Commander Alute Terin. She was the lead designer of Wavefront and a real matriarch of Utopia Planetia, a true legend. She got things done on Utopia Planetia by being every bit as good at dealing with volatile emotional states as she is with volatile antimatter systems. In her view, people are just starships, but less emotional. Her real task is, while her people is welding parts to make a ship, she has to meld people to make a crew.

That's not to say the external dynamics wouldn't be interesting, too: Captain Sherlock S Prichard is a native-born moonman with a talent for inspiring loyalty, even among people who shouldn't trust him. Starfleet Intelligence definitely spotted that as an asset right away, recruited him and trained him to be an excellent operative. But on his last mission, something - we don't know what - went wrong, and he was forced out of Intelligence by the ambassadors involved. He's a very different kind of captain. He doesn't oversee away missions, he handles operatives. He knows the value of truth, as a commodity, of information games. He has a past he needs to redeem, secrets he has to keep, and more than one reason for doing anything.

All of this means a very different show but with the same overall themes as Star Trek: it's still about putting your differences aside and working together but this time its harder and more interesting; it's still about the optimistic future of humanity, but part of that optimism must be diversity not only of race but of personality and motivation; it's still about trying to find peaceful solutions, but sometimes a peaceful solution is a devious one, or an economic one; and it's still about exploration, more than ever, and we would see why we should, beyond instinct. In short, if TNG is a garden, Wavefront would be a jungle. It is a fight against monoculture, both in terms of the show, and both in terms of the in-world motivations behind the Wavefront project.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

shadow puppet of a posted:

I disagree, Klingon underboob and Klingon sideboob are the real undiscovered country.

Nipples too. Could have spikes on their nipples to weed out the weakling infants.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Maybe your SA account should be called "Star Trek: Asperger's"

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

If your series pitch includes a registry number then you've already gone too far.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I liked the Odyssey idea when it was telling the story of your adventure last season, and then your adventure this season becomes the bartime tales of next season. That was a concept I could get behind. Now I don't know what the gently caress. :(

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Just posting that i binged watch all of DS9 the other month, and after being resistant to the concept for so long I can say its the best one! Now I'm watching Babylon 5 DVDs. Well there is my star trek story see you in space y'all

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Just posting that i binged watch all of DS9 the other month, and after being resistant to the concept for so long I can say its the best one! Now I'm watching Babylon 5 DVDs. Well there is my star trek story see you in space y'all

Binging DS9 right now, just started season 5 and love everything except time travel eps and alternate universe eps. The Cardassians are great, and if you're starting Babylon 5 the lizard guys are pretty similar, they fill a similar role in the story (bad guys of a regional alien conflict, but not the main villains) and the head lizardman is pretty much the best character, like Dukat is in DS9. I predict you'll get fatigued with binging Babylon 5 because there are sooo many similarities between the two series, but good luck anyway.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm like partway through season 2. I like the new captain (I liked Sinclair as well, shame about his apparent mental state though) and while superficially its pretty similar to DS9, they also didn't have to adhere to any lore poo poo, so that's nice for a bit of the unexpected. Londo is a huge dick so far, but as a character is surprisingly likable. I think the DS9 comparisons wear off after you get over the immediate resemblance, but maybe further seasons will prove me wrong.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
but i mean nothing in the universe beats some loving JAMBALAYA

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
They should make a star trek where the captain is a klingon-romulan hybrid, I think that'd be cool.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
in the first series of TNG most of the male Actors wore miniskirts

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

SaberToothedPie posted:

They should make a star trek where the captain is a klingon-romulan hybrid, I think that'd be cool.

Klingon-Ferengi hybrid.

By the blood of Kahless, we're going to negotiate them down from 12 to 11.5%!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Orange Sunshine posted:

Klingon-Ferengi hybrid.

After another hundred years, interbreeding will be so common that people will have to think hard to remember what the hell they are.

:j: "Let's see... from my mom's side I'm a quarter each of Bolian and Zakdorn. From my dad's side I'm an eighth each of Melkotian, Bynar, Calamarain, and... oh, I always forget the last one. What the hell was it... oh yeah, Human! How about you?"

:v: "No idea, I was adopted. I've definitely got some Horta in me and probably a bit of Selay, but damned if I know where this forehead came from."

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Powered Descent posted:

After another hundred years, interbreeding will be so common that people will have to think hard to remember what the hell they are.

:j: "Let's see... from my mom's side I'm a quarter each of Bolian and Zakdorn. From my dad's side I'm an eighth each of Melkotian, Bynar, Calamarain, and... oh, I always forget the last one. What the hell was it... oh yeah, Human! How about you?"

:v: "No idea, I was adopted. I've definitely got some Horta in me and probably a bit of Selay, but damned if I know where this forehead came from."

This is actually one of the points in Enterprise where you get those radical humans and they find a "human" from the future but he has tons of alien DNA in him.

When humans start loving all the aliens, at what point are you no longer human? Like you have at least 10 different alien spices present in your DNA but you look human. Are you human?

I don't know man, big thoughts being thought here.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
The only thing I know is I'm not marrying a vulcan and only having sex once every 7 years.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Powered Descent posted:

you forgot to throw in 1/226th Cherokee.

you can't truly be a mutt without lying about having some native american blood

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kitchner posted:

The only thing I know is I'm not marrying a vulcan and only having sex once every 7 years.

It is really intense sex tho.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Angela Christine posted:

It is really intense sex tho.

poz dat pon farr bitches

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I'm like partway through season 2. I like the new captain (I liked Sinclair as well, shame about his apparent mental state though) and while superficially its pretty similar to DS9, they also didn't have to adhere to any lore poo poo, so that's nice for a bit of the unexpected. Londo is a huge dick so far, but as a character is surprisingly likable. I think the DS9 comparisons wear off after you get over the immediate resemblance, but maybe further seasons will prove me wrong.

I agree about the lore point, DS9 is pretty different from the other Trek shows but it still has to maintain the canon. I do like that Sisko and company don't even pretend to give a poo poo about the Prime Directive, it's just a rule they know they'll break every time. Babylon 5, on the other hand, could do whatever crazy plotline they wanted without maintaining coherence with someone else's previous work.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
But seriously I think the best moment in DS9 was when like a poo poo ton of klingon or maybe it was romulans uncloaked to save the day and it was like gently caress yeah. then they reused the footage a bunch but the first time it was cool.

DS9 easily had the best cast, and it not being soo much monster of the week was a good thing for star trek. Enterprise was good for the same reason with over arching plots but I guess the theme song sucked so gently caress that show or whatever the opinion was.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
No, the problem with Enterprise was instead of going "Holy poo poo we can like show the first time the Federation met all those aliens you see in the background and really flesh out our own section of Trek lore and history" they went "Oh poo poo, if we can't rely on Vulcan, Borg, the Ferengi, Klingons, and Romulans, what the gently caress will we do?".

Meeting the Andarians and it turns out they are basically modern human in terms of attitude and that the humans made allies with them where the Vulcans utterly failed as humans are way more adaptable was mega cool. It really showed why the humans became such an influential race.

Finding the Borg again or the Ferengi is just dull.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Bringing back the Borg and Ferengi was dumb but honestly that only accounts for like two episodes out of eighty-something, so I have a hard time caring about it. And they weren't even bad episodes really, just out of place. It's a low bar to jump but somehow the Borg episode was probably better than most of Voyager's endless Borg plots.

I think the real problem with Enterprise was the aimless time war arc, at least until it got spun into something else, and some of the "edgy" production decisions which plagued a lot of television in the 00s. But it could've been a lot worse if the network had their way. "Next week on Star Trek: Enterprise: special guests Finger Eleven!"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Enterprise's biggest sin was being boring as poo poo.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Delsaber posted:

Bringing back the Borg and Ferengi was dumb but honestly that only accounts for like two episodes out of eighty-something, so I have a hard time caring about it. And they weren't even bad episodes really, just out of place. It's a low bar to jump but somehow the Borg episode was probably better than most of Voyager's endless Borg plots.

Yeah but those are symptoms of a bigger problem. Instead of Enterprise feeling like a new frontier where there was a load of stuff even the audience wouldn't see coming and instead of the old Federation line of "Well now let's talk about this and not interfere" these guys gung ho it across the galaxy making friends and punching people in the face while getting scolded by Vulcans.

Instead this happened in like 4 episodes and the rest of the time Archer could have been the Captain on Voyager.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
The problem with Enterprise is that 9-11 happened and sent the writers retarded.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Germstore posted:

The problem with Enterprise is that 9-11 happened and sent the writers retarded.

They should have 9/11'd the Starfleet HQ instead of using that probe thing.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The supporting characters in Enterprise were also a full class shittier than the ones in Voyager

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005
Non plaudite modo pecuniam jacite.

Just watched "Let He Who is Without Sin ..." the other night. In case you're unfamiliar, Worf and Dax go Risa to work on their relationship because Worf is goony and possessive. He's a total loving baby about it. He stumbles across this moralist movement that showed up to protest decadence in the Federation. So, in the space of a day or two, he reads their literature, buys in whole hog, and helps them taking the weather controls offline - ruining the vacation of at least 100,000 people (a figure Dax uses). So now there's lightning storms and everyone's pissy while the Risans have to repair the weather controls. Meanwhile the moralists decide a storm isn't enough and turn off the seismic controls (likely with knowledge they obtained from Worf). So Worf and Dax save the day, arrest the terrorists, everyone is happy and Worf and Dax kiss and cuddle in the runabout back to DS9.

I'm just getting back into DS9 (around mid-series where I stopped watching years ago) and I know there are some good episodes, but drat. I thought the writers would have tired of Worf being a constant liability like he was on TNG.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Dicere posted:

Just watched "Let He Who is Without Sin ..." the other night. In case you're unfamiliar, Worf and Dax go Risa to work on their relationship because Worf is goony and possessive. He's a total loving baby about it. He stumbles across this moralist movement that showed up to protest decadence in the Federation. So, in the space of a day or two, he reads their literature, buys in whole hog, and helps them taking the weather controls offline - ruining the vacation of at least 100,000 people (a figure Dax uses). So now there's lightning storms and everyone's pissy while the Risans have to repair the weather controls. Meanwhile the moralists decide a storm isn't enough and turn off the seismic controls (likely with knowledge they obtained from Worf). So Worf and Dax save the day, arrest the terrorists, everyone is happy and Worf and Dax kiss and cuddle in the runabout back to DS9.

I'm just getting back into DS9 (around mid-series where I stopped watching years ago) and I know there are some good episodes, but drat. I thought the writers would have tired of Worf being a constant liability like he was on TNG.

I actually think that episode is one of the most interesting involving Worf, because Dax basically tells him what the whole thread has been saying: he's a shadow of a Klingon, a joyless stick in the mud unwilling to bend for anyone.

Worf is actually treated more realistically than ever before--while he has some great successes and victories and gets some great moments, he's also got some of his biggest failures and gently caress-ups and those go along too. There's a great episode where he's unable to fulfil a mission and allows a Cardassian informant to be killed so he can save Jadzia's life after she's injured by the Jem'Hadar in a jungle. His career is shot, but he keeps his job at least, but it's a great moment that defines his character, and even Sisko says that in the end, he'd have probably made the same choice.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
that episode is funny cause worf engages in terrorism against the federation but it fails to be a millstone around his neck like Maquis collaboration would have been b/c its the kind of terrorism that doesn't put lie to federation ideology

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kitchner posted:

No, the problem with Enterprise was instead of going "Holy poo poo we can like show the first time the Federation met all those aliens you see in the background and really flesh out our own section of Trek lore and history" they went "Oh poo poo, if we can't rely on Vulcan, Borg, the Ferengi, Klingons, and Romulans, what the gently caress will we do?".

Meeting the Andarians and it turns out they are basically modern human in terms of attitude and that the humans made allies with them where the Vulcans utterly failed as humans are way more adaptable was mega cool. It really showed why the humans became such an influential race.

Finding the Borg again or the Ferengi is just dull.

There was a lot of pressure from the studio to make another generic 24th century show after Voyager. They really had to fight for a prequel and they were basically told at regular intervals 'okay time for a borg episode'.

Although that said, you really can't complain about the existence of Vulcans, Klingons and Romulans in Enterprise. The handling and execution, yeah, but they're pretty fundamental to the premise and I'm still pissed we didn't see the Romulan War.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The boring black pilot guy from Enterprise was Postmaster P in "Leprechaun 4: In The Hood"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005
Non plaudite modo pecuniam jacite.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I actually think that episode is one of the most interesting involving Worf

The part where he says he accidentally killed a kid playing soccer did help explain why he acts the way he does. That says, there are other things in that ep that are way of out of character like ...

Ambrose Burnside posted:

worf engages in terrorism

So I guess it's a wash. Extra points for for good looking people in skimpy outfits though.

• Locked thread