Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Anyone using a U2715H with a 970? Is this an okay combo?

Or one of these
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009C3M7H0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=23JFVWCLTB6C6&coliid=I1GOOMVE7NH1BU

Optiquest fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
PG279Q pricing and availability are out. £700 for UK goons, haven't see US pricing. No HDMI 2.0, but you have to use DP to get G-Sync, so meh.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

tarbrush posted:

PG279Q pricing and availability are out. £700 for UK goons, haven't see US pricing. No HDMI 2.0, but you have to use DP to get G-Sync, so meh.

This article claims $799 in November.

quote:

The ASUS PG279Q will be available in November, with a starting price of $799 in the United States.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I'm running a higher res 3440x1440 screen from a 970. If you don't need to be the most ultra at 60 or higher FPS, it's a good match, and more than that is in reasonably expensive territory.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

tarbrush posted:

Man, I hope I can get one in the US before Fallout 4 comes out.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I'm pretty torn between what I think will be a better monitor for me, a PG279Q or a Acer Z35, as someone who has a 980 Ti and refuses to go dual video card and only cares about gaming. Of course, neither are out yet and prices are still up in the air, so I'll keep waiting.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Recently bought a BenQ BL3200PT monitor and am quite happy with it.

I'm currently trying to hook a Macbook pro to it, while simultaneously having my main PC hooked up to the HDMI port, which means I have to use either the Displayport port or the DVI port on the monitor

The problem I am seeing is that:

A) The displayport option doesn't work, at ALL. No signal is detected with the cable I bought (HDMI on the Macbook to Displayport on the monitor.)
B) If I use a thunderbolt to DVI adapter and connect a DVI cable to the DVI port on the monitor, I can only output video at 1920x1200 resolution (and can't change it to anything higher on the Macbook). The same is true if I output from HDMI to DVI and connect to the monitors DVI port.

Is it me, or does this seem to be something with the Macbook and not the monitor itself?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
You need to use a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Has anyone had problems with the XB270HU ghosting like a mother fucker? Like, what's reasonable? It's very very noticablie with the red square in this test :

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/testsoftware/ghosting.html

and this one, oh god.

http://www.testufo.com/#test=ghosting&background=004040&separation=150&pursuit=1

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

midge posted:

Has anyone had problems with the XB270HU ghosting like a mother fucker? Like, what's reasonable? It's very very noticablie with the red square in this test :

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/testsoftware/ghosting.html

and this one, oh god.

http://www.testufo.com/#test=ghosting&background=004040&separation=150&pursuit=1

Doesn't that monitor have an adjustment for pixel overdrive you can reduce? Or do you mean that those animations are leaving a longer, dark trail behind it?

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
The longest trial is with the middle UFO.

I actually noticed the ghosting while playing a game, which led me to testing it out; it's not a case of me looking for issues which can sometimes be the case with new tech. I know it has ULMB with G-Sync turned off, but I'm not sure what's for the best. I even notice the ghosting when scrolling past images on websites.

Zorilla posted:

Doesn't that monitor have an adjustment for pixel overdrive you can reduce? Or do you mean that those animations are leaving a longer, dark trail behind it?

Thank you! It was on extreme. Turning it down to normal pretty much eliminated the ghosting!

Extreme

Normal

Gonna try running it at 120hz with ULMB on/ GSYNC off for a bit and see how it fares.

midge fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 13, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The extreme pixel overdrive setting is actually giving you anti-ghosting from pixel overshoot :science:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Acer calling the 3440x1440 Predator 4K is pretty ballsy: http://www.maximumpc.com/acer-unleashes-predator-x34-a-34-inch-curved-g-sync-monitor/

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

quote:

4K Quad HD resolution (3440x1440)

Do we still live in a world where 720 lines is called HD?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well, TV? And the Xbone?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

CopperHound posted:

Do we still live in a world where 720 lines is called HD?

Because HD as defined by the ATSC standard was 720p and 1080i.

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!
I know this isn't a monitor but it is related..

What are everyone's opinion on the Ergotech-Triple-Stand-Telescopic stand?

http://www.amazon.com/Ergotech-Trip...ASIN=B007BD0MPM

I have 3 dell 24' monitors that are currently just on their factory stands. I think it's too expensive for what it is but I do like that I would get deskspace back, it would look better, and it's not one of those clamping mounts. With my current desk a clamping mount wouldn't work at all.

There doesn't seem to be much other competition other there that have adjustable arms.

Anyone know of any other models that I should take a look at?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I'm more upset that its $1300, and any single video card won't be able to push it on high settings.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Hahahah 3440 x 1440 is a great format for gaming (and productivity too, I guess). But it ain't 4K.

Flying Spaghetti
Dec 1, 2002

Existence is overrated

DaRealAce posted:

I know this isn't a monitor but it is related..

What are everyone's opinion on the Ergotech-Triple-Stand-Telescopic stand?

http://www.amazon.com/Ergotech-Trip...ASIN=B007BD0MPM

I have 3 dell 24' monitors that are currently just on their factory stands. I think it's too expensive for what it is but I do like that I would get deskspace back, it would look better, and it's not one of those clamping mounts. With my current desk a clamping mount wouldn't work at all.

There doesn't seem to be much other competition other there that have adjustable arms.

Anyone know of any other models that I should take a look at?

Monoprice now makes a freestanding triple stand and its much cheaper. http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13816

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

BurritoJustice posted:

The extreme pixel overdrive setting is actually giving you anti-ghosting from pixel overshoot :science:

I'm not going to pretend to know the technicalities of it. But all I know is that before when I strafed left/right in games I would see a "shiny" edge. Now I don't.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'm more upset that its $1300, and any single video card won't be able to push it on high settings.
As interesting a monitor as that is, there's no way in hell Acer is getting 1300 of my dollars for what's effectively a first-gen product. From Acer.

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

Flying Spaghetti posted:

Monoprice now makes a freestanding triple stand and its much cheaper. http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13816

I was literally JUST looking for this at MonoPrice. I do not know how I missed it.

Thank you!!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DaRealAce posted:

I was literally JUST looking for this at MonoPrice. I do not know how I missed it.

Thank you!!

Don't forget this option, if you don't mind having it in a 2-1 or 1-2 vertical orientation: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1D03GQ

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

That Acer price makes things worse in the Asus camp because you just know they're going to price the PG348Q like $200 higher.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

ijyt posted:

That Acer price makes things worse in the Asus camp because you just know they're going to price the PG348Q like $200 higher.

I dunno, Asus has priced the PG279Q the same as the XB271HU. Ditto for the 4K versions of each (though the Acer is 75Hz). Asus is obviously threatened enough by the Acer monitors to skip adding on the Asus Tax™

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Just so y'all know Newegg is having the Dell U3415W Curved Ultrawide on sale again for $699/$649 after MIR+Free shipping with the code EMCKAKS26.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Just so y'all know Newegg is having the Dell U3415W Curved Ultrawide on sale again for $699/$649 after MIR+Free shipping with the code EMCKAKS26.

That's a great deal but who the hell thought this was appealing, how could you ever play like this

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

VelociBacon posted:

That's a great deal but who the hell thought this was appealing, how could you ever play like this

Yeah, that really needs a third one so there aren't any bezels right in the centre.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

The Deadly Hume posted:

Yeah, that really needs a third one so there aren't any bezels right in the centre.

Ehhh, it would be too wide that way, you clearly need three more on the top... Wait, then you have a bezel in the middle going the other way, that's no good. Ok, so clearly the only way to go is 3x3, anyone got a 9x vesa mount for sale? It'll need to be cheap after spending $6,300 on the monitors but I can pay you $450 in gift cards in about three months! :v:

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

VelociBacon posted:

It just adds another element of realism

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.
So my current monitor from 2008 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014158) monitor is starting to go bad (I can see streaks when it displays blacks) and I need to replace it. I play a lot of games and I code on it.

I like 1920 x 1200 because I can buy a 970 in a few months and run everything I want, and it's got more vertical space than 1080p, so that's preferred unless someone has a fantastic argument for something else. I'd love to have a 25 or 26 inch monitor, but it doesn't seem like anyone makes anything over 24" for 1920 x * resolutions.

As I mentioned, I play a lot of games, anything from strategy games to FPSes, so no ghosting and low input lag would be ideal. That said, I was perfectly happy with my current monitor, so I don't even know how sensitive I am to those things?

I was looking at this monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236331

Is this a good choice? Does anyone have viable alternatives? I know it's not sexy like all your 144Hz G-Sync stuff but I'm not really in a "spend $700 on a monitor" kind of place.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

frood posted:

So my current monitor from 2008 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014158) monitor is starting to go bad (I can see streaks when it displays blacks) and I need to replace it. I play a lot of games and I code on it.

I like 1920 x 1200 because I can buy a 970 in a few months and run everything I want, and it's got more vertical space than 1080p, so that's preferred unless someone has a fantastic argument for something else. I'd love to have a 25 or 26 inch monitor, but it doesn't seem like anyone makes anything over 24" for 1920 x * resolutions.

As I mentioned, I play a lot of games, anything from strategy games to FPSes, so no ghosting and low input lag would be ideal. That said, I was perfectly happy with my current monitor, so I don't even know how sensitive I am to those things?

I was looking at this monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236331

Is this a good choice? Does anyone have viable alternatives? I know it's not sexy like all your 144Hz G-Sync stuff but I'm not really in a "spend $700 on a monitor" kind of place.

There is the Dell U2415, it goes on sale at Newegg pretty often for $240 and I like mine a lot. It has ghosting but I can only notice it if I look at one of the ghosting tests you can find online, never in games. Here's a review of it if you want to read it.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

frood posted:

Although they're sort of universally disliked in their thread for the relatively low ppi, there are a bunch of 27" 1080p monitors out there.

Just thought I'd mention that since it's sort of exactly what you're asking for.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I may be thinking about getting a new monitor next week - I'll have perhaps £150 to spend, could probably convince myself to go up to £175 for something that's obviously really good.

My current monitor is a BenQ FP202W which has served me well, and having never used or even looked at anything that could be considered modern or high end, I can't really find much fault with it.

All I do is browse the web, watch some movies and television and play one game (which is a Football Management game, so no OMG Exxxtreme graphics or anything like that). I don't have a discrete GPU at the moment, so this will be driven by the HD4400 integrated GPU on my i3-4170 CPU. I might buy a graphics card in the future, but the level of card I have been looking at is in the 750Ti / 270X range, so nothing fancy.

I would like something a bit bigger, perhaps in the 22-24-inch range, IPS obviously and 1080p is fine.

I've seen a few monitors that might fit the bill, but is there a go to for these sort of requirements?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Dead Goon posted:

I may be thinking about getting a new monitor next week - I'll have perhaps £150 to spend, could probably convince myself to go up to £175 for something that's obviously really good.

My current monitor is a BenQ FP202W which has served me well, and having never used or even looked at anything that could be considered modern or high end, I can't really find much fault with it.

All I do is browse the web, watch some movies and television and play one game (which is a Football Management game, so no OMG Exxxtreme graphics or anything like that). I don't have a discrete GPU at the moment, so this will be driven by the HD4400 integrated GPU on my i3-4170 CPU. I might buy a graphics card in the future, but the level of card I have been looking at is in the 750Ti / 270X range, so nothing fancy.

I would like something a bit bigger, perhaps in the 22-24-inch range, IPS obviously and 1080p is fine.

I've seen a few monitors that might fit the bill, but is there a go to for these sort of requirements?

There are a lot of monitors that might fit, but this looked like a good deal. Good panel, fully adjustable stand, built in USB hub, Dell is a quality brand so no worries there. The only real downside is no HDMI, just DisplayPort, DVI and VGA. If you need HDMI there is this one but it's a worse deal over all, only a basic stand with tilt, no VESA compatibility and more expensive.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

There are a lot of monitors that might fit, but this looked like a good deal. Good panel, fully adjustable stand, built in USB hub, Dell is a quality brand so no worries there. The only real downside is no HDMI, just DisplayPort, DVI and VGA. If you need HDMI there is this one but it's a worse deal over all, only a basic stand with tilt, no VESA compatibility and more expensive.

No HDMI is fine.

I've been looking at Dells but seem to have missed that one!

Thanks AVLR :)

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

I'm starting to get the impression that the reason I can't find an XR3501 anywhere is that the Z35 Predator due out in December uses the exact same goddamn panel and Acer just straight-up bought the factory line out from under BenQ. Am I right? Should I be pissed?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Cephalocidal posted:

I'm starting to get the impression that the reason I can't find an XR3501 anywhere is that the Z35 Predator due out in December uses the exact same goddamn panel and Acer just straight-up bought the factory line out from under BenQ. Am I right? Should I be pissed?

The reviews for the BenQ are only a few months old, but I also couldn't find any to buy. The Z35 is a better product though, if anything it at least has built in a USB hub and G-sync.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Wasn't sure whether to put this in the system building thread or here, but it's largely monitor-based, so here goes:

I'm building a new PC for work and gaming (games of note on my radar are Witcher 3, Cities Skylines and the recent Total War titles). I prefer the 16:10 ratio, and currently use a 1920x1200 screen (Dell U2410), but I thought it might be nice for both the aforementioned purposes to go up to 2560x1600. However, my concern is the extra horsepower draw.

Question 1. From a gaming point of view, is the resolution jump worth the extra resource drain? Am I better off staying with my current resolution and enjoying better framerates and max settings for longer, or should I take the jump up?

Bear in mind I can make the system pretty beefy if I want; I am looking at a new Skylake i7 with a GTX 980, maybe a Ti or Titan... maybe even two cards in SLI if advised to do so for smoother 2560×1600.

Question 2. I believe there were supposed to be some IPS screens coming out this year with decent response times. Any such monitors with native 2560×1600 to be aware of?

Thanks guys. I need to resolve this soon, as my current machine is on its last legs and threatening to die any moment.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 17, 2015