Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barry Convex posted:

Er... they're coproduced with Marvel Television.

Yeah I missed that detail. I doubt Marvel got anything of value out of it. Maybe Unus the Untouchable or some other worthless character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Fox gets everything TV/movie for X-Men and Marvel gets everything FF in time for their Phase 4 (get it?) movie in 2020.

I'd also be down for a Netflix Phase 2 with Punisher / Blade / Ghost Rider / Moon Knight.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There was light buzz that they wanted to develop the new girl Blade for the screen in some way.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

There was light buzz that they wanted to develop the new girl Blade for the screen in some way.

Doing that and bringing back Snipes in a supporting role would be really sweet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Incidentally, that book has been delayed as all initial orders were canceled this week.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

I hope Fox just decided to flip Disney the finger and press forward on these shows.

Why would you pick a side in that conflict.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Why would you pick a side in that conflict.

I love the pissing match they have going on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I love the pissing match they have going on.

That pee keeps landing on us tho. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I was reading some Fox/Disney conspiracy that Whedon's need to have Pietro and Wanda shove yet another enormous wedge into the problem and Whedon didn't give a gently caress because STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, no idea how I missed that Noah Hawley is doing the Legion show. I'm actually intrigued now. Like, that idea sounds awful, but so did a Fargo TV show, and that turned out loving amazing (and seemingly hasn't completely ran screaming off the reservation like True Detective did in season 2)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Actually a Legion tv show sounds like the best idea ever.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So the rumor mill is spinning that the deal was for a revert of FF rights.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 15, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gfanikf posted:

So the rumor mill is spinning that the deal was for a revert of FF rights.

No credible sources yet but that's what's being reported on a dozen sites.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Rhyno posted:

No credible sources yet but that's what's being reported on a dozen sites.

Yeah, they're all just reposting the Den of Geek rumor.

Collider's Steven Weintraub says it's not true, fwiw.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Considering the way live action TV rights for the X Men work I have to thing something was gained by Marvel...The question is just what. I seem to recall years ago that Marvel tried getting back some of the cosmic entities in exchange for an extension on Daredevil.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

Yeah, they're all just reposting the Den of Geek rumor.

Collider's Steven Weintraub says it's not true, fwiw.

Though he asked Marvel sources, so even if it is true of course they're going to deny it until they have an announcement.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I don't expect Marvel to have gotten anything out of it because it seems like every time the X-Men contract gets reviewed Fox's gets something new due to Marvel using an old issue of She-Hulk as an entertainment lawyer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just can't imagine they'd trade the film rights so they can make two shows that will be cancelled in a year.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Remind me, how much money did they lose on the FF reboot?

I didn't expect Sony to give up Spider-Man, but it kind of happened. Maybe they struck a similar sharing deal, where Marvel handles creative on FF, but Fox stays involved and shares profits.

Everybody wins. Fox getting some TV out of it is just better negotiations than Sony had. (But Sony was in a pickle, so...)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, the Sony deal is also likely to make them more money with the MCU machine pushing Spider-Man.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
If the deal is true then they have most of the Illuminati available to them now. They'd still need to figure out Namor, but that is with Universal, who is also squatting on Hulk solo movie rights....

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ToastyPotato posted:

If the deal is true then they have most of the Illuminati available to them now. They'd still need to figure out Namor, but that is with Universal, who is also squatting on Hulk solo movie rights....

With Universal remember there is always the weird theme park rights tied into the overall Marvel and Universal package.

Also Den of Geek updated and claim the deal includes Doom, Galactus, and Silver Surfer.

I'd assume Fox wouldn't bother keeping random rear end FF enemies.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

gfanikf posted:

With Universal remember there is always the weird theme park rights tied into the overall Marvel and Universal package.

Also Den of Geek updated and claim the deal includes Doom, Galactus, and Silver Surfer.

I'd assume Fox wouldn't bother keeping random rear end FF enemies.

The deal makes sense if it solidifies Fox's ownership of Mutants and all things X, while shedding the last bits of non-X stuff they had.

It's funny that that Inhumans movie might be cancelled, when Disney might have just gotten the franchise tied most heavily to them in the past.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

It's funny that that Inhumans movie might be cancelled, when Disney might have just gotten the franchise tied most heavily to them in the past.

I thought that was unequivocally debunked?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zoux posted:

I recall it being so too.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

zoux posted:

I hadn't seen any news post debunking it. I mostly only glance at those things so its possible that I missed it, but the last thing I read on the matter indicated the movie might still not be happening.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

http://io9.com/rumor-has-it-marvel-is-clawing-fantastic-four-back-from-1736693837

Most likely false.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Already debunked by FOX.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Great. I look forward to more absolutely lovely FF films from Fox!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Well, it could still come true down the road. Hope springs eternal and all that.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Fox's press release -

FOX posted:

Though we enjoy our working partnership with Marvel and Disney, we at FOX have decided that no one but us will lose money on this franchise at this time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Fox's press release -

Brilliant. :golfclap:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Last nights Arrow was a bit of a letdown. They introduced Anarky (Batman villain) but made him a one note hitman who likes to torture people, something that I don't think his comic counterpart ever did. It's a shame because they could have gotten some good mileage out of doing something closer to the comic character instead of making him a one note grinning arsehole.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Madkal posted:

Last nights Arrow was a bit of a letdown. They introduced Anarky (Batman villain) but made him a one note hitman who likes to torture people, something that I don't think his comic counterpart ever did. It's a shame because they could have gotten some good mileage out of doing something closer to the comic character instead of making him a one note grinning arsehole.

100% agree. Wasted the character. The actual character had way more potential and would have even fit in with the current world as it exists quite well. I was kind of bummed about that.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Madkal posted:

The lovely thing is that Oliver and Felicity have that conversation on the way back in to Star City about how the city is still decaying despite everything they've done and Anarky doesn't line up with that theme at all even though he'd be perfect for exploring that theme. Maybe it's another case of use him before you lose him though.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Studio struggles over copyright are unlikely to affect you in any meaningful way.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Studio struggles over copyright are unlikely to affect you in any meaningful way.

Not in a meaningful way, but I wouldn't call Fox's FF films victimless crimes either.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Madkal posted:

That's why they didn't kill him and had him actually become Anarky at the end. Did you watch the whole episode?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Last night's episode of Arrow was basically the origin of Anarky, in case you missed the last few minutes of it. I thought it was even better the premiere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Powers Boothe is joining Agents of SHIELD as Gideon Mailick. Are they going to start revealing the shadow people from Avengers?