Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

phosdex posted:

I asked in zone chat if carbine had given any compensation to signature players for all the server troubles over the past 16 days since f2p launch and all I got was a bunch of carbine apologist replies. It was really weird.

Do people think if they hurt the dev feelings they will stop making the game? I don't understand people who give game companies a free pass for no obvious reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
Well i got to level 50 on the PvP server. I've just been running dungeons and stuff and trying to figure out how to group for the weird daily quest zones they have. End game seems like a complicated mess currently. Drops are pretty lame and bosses only seem to drop one piece of loot, or sometimes none at all. Idk i've been playing dress up and i look dumb as hell. This game is still dumb but the content is new to me so i will continue to waste my time.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Do people think if they hurt the dev feelings they will stop making the game? I don't understand people who give game companies a free pass for no obvious reason.

Convincing other people the game is actually fine is their way of convincing themselves they haven't wasted their own time playing it

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

phosdex posted:

I asked in zone chat if carbine had given any compensation to signature players for all the server troubles over the past 16 days since f2p launch and all I got was a bunch of carbine apologist replies. It was really weird.

Zone chat is the greatest thing Wildstar has given us. Praise be the channel. I think I spent my first 2 days trolling zone chat. I ran into the exact same bug I had in beta (keybinds not working with modifier keys). I posted a link to a bug report from 2014 and asked how/why this wasn't fixed yet. Responses ranged from "Works for me so no issue" to "You should go code your own MMO if you know better".

I'm not usually one to actively troll these days, but Wildstar really, really made it fun again.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I may have to give this a go just for fun with zone chat.

Now if I could just turn the automated goblin therapist addon into automated protostar brand therapist.

How hard is it to port addons over? And how often do people angrily whisper you instead of addressing you in zone chat?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Anoia posted:

And how often do people angrily whisper you instead of addressing you in zone chat?

Often enough and sometimes with much verbosity. :getin:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Some people are unable to distinguish and separate comments about something they like from themselves; they make it a part of their identity and they make it very personal. It's why you get people who will poo poo their pants if you insult or speak critically of poo poo like Firefly or the Packers. It's a weird thing but it's pretty common and what sets them off runs the gamut.

Especially when you have crazy bugs that have lasted this long and all they can do is say 'WELL CODE YOUR OWN loving GAME'

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

I was with them until the second paragraph then it got pretty :yikes: .

Never forget FranbunnyFFXIV also played Aurin and always brush your teeth!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

Zone chat is the greatest thing Wildstar has given us. Praise be the channel. I think I spent my first 2 days trolling zone chat. I ran into the exact same bug I had in beta (keybinds not working with modifier keys). I posted a link to a bug report from 2014 and asked how/why this wasn't fixed yet. Responses ranged from "Works for me so no issue" to "You should go code your own MMO if you know better".

I'm not usually one to actively troll these days, but Wildstar really, really made it fun again.

screen shots?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Holyshoot posted:

screen shots?

No, but next time I login to do some PVP and troll I'll see if anyone bites :). Maybe I should code an addon that dumps chat into a text file. :v:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

John Dyne posted:

Some people are unable to distinguish and separate comments about something they like from themselves; they make it a part of their identity and they make it very personal. It's why you get people who will poo poo their pants if you insult or speak critically of poo poo like Firefly or the Packers. It's a weird thing but it's pretty common and what sets them off runs the gamut.

Especially when you have crazy bugs that have lasted this long and all they can do is say 'WELL CODE YOUR OWN loving GAME'

It's loving dumb. Criticism is important in every endeavor, and it doesn't take a master of any craft to recognize if something is bad. I don't need to be a master chef to realize that a pie crust filled with the finest rat droppings isn't going to taste like delicious apple pie, and yelling at me to go to culinary school if I want to critique it is stupid. Then I'd just be a chef, and the pie would still taste like rat poo poo.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rhymenoserous posted:

It's loving dumb. Criticism is important in every endeavor, and it doesn't take a master of any craft to recognize if something is bad. I don't need to be a master chef to realize that a pie crust filled with the finest rat droppings isn't going to taste like delicious apple pie, and yelling at me to go to culinary school if I want to critique it is stupid. Then I'd just be a chef, and the pie would still taste like rat poo poo.

But if you were a chef you could appreciate the subtle flavor of the rat droppings mixes with a flaky pie crust, and you could properly appreciate it.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
That doesn't even cover the people who do work as cooks or whatever and don't even know the verb "to marinade". Much like proven by Wildstar over and over again, the fact that somebody hired you to do something does not mean you are able to actually do it and even if you are that you are good at it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
fyi if there are any space jam refuges/exile side goons on the pve server I have a guild I can get you into. It's not a "Goon Guild" because I doubt we'd get anything more than 10ish goons.

But it is a small/growing smallish group that seems fairly knowledgeable and is actively doing content (Dungeons atm).

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Turtle Sandbox posted:

But if you were a chef you could appreciate the subtle flavor of the rat droppings mixes with a flaky pie crust, and you could properly appreciate it.

This is their actual thinking. You don't have the proper knowledge and understanding to appreciate it and can't critique it for that reason.

Rhymenoserous posted:

fyi if there are any space jam refuges/exile side goons on the pve server I have a guild I can get you into. It's not a "Goon Guild" because I doubt we'd get anything more than 10ish goons.

But it is a small/growing smallish group that seems fairly knowledgeable and is actively doing content (Dungeons atm).

I think Goon Squad on Entity has about 7 or 8 people? I can't recall, but yeah we have a handful.

Not enough to DO anything yet though.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Stanley Pain posted:

No, but next time I login to do some PVP and troll I'll see if anyone bites :). Maybe I should code an addon that dumps chat into a text file. :v:

When I played, mentioning WoW anything in Zone Chat was enough to make it erupt in anger. I hope that still works.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Vanderdeath posted:

When I played, mentioning WoW anything in Zone Chat was enough to make it erupt in anger. I hope that still works.

Just say "WoD is better than this." in chat and you get like entertainment for about an hour.

Edit: just tried an non captrading pvp match, this game has so much visual lag while looking like a very early ps2 game on my machine. What is the specific set of hardware you have to have to actually play?

Turtle Sandbox fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 15, 2015

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Vanderdeath posted:

Works in pretty much any mmo not wow. Especially the new mmo's.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My buddy is still trying to get me to play this. He actually used the word "enthralled" to describe his feelings towards it. He's said the group he's playing with enjoys it even more than him. Has my friend been seduced by a cult? I'm starting to get worried :ohdear:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Just say "WoD is better than this." in chat and you get like entertainment for about an hour.

Edit: just tried an non captrading pvp match, this game has so much visual lag while looking like a very early ps2 game on my machine. What is the specific set of hardware you have to have to actually play?

What've the specific Dell setups carbine has in their sad little sneak peak inside the office photos I'm guessing.

Maybe ask one of them on Twitter

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

My buddy is still trying to get me to play this. He actually used the word "enthralled" to describe his feelings towards it. He's said the group he's playing with enjoys it even more than him. Has my friend been seduced by a cult? I'm starting to get worried :ohdear:

It's a legitimately fun game with "Issues". Most of the goon dogpiling is due to the statements of one or two devs that really shouldn't have been given soapboxes to stand on, and those particular devs are currently eating crow by the bucketload. By and large the biggest pet gripes I have about the game have been dealt with.

1. Attunement is only 4 steps now (And only 3 to get into the first raid, the 4th step is to be attuned to everything), and those steps aren't dickgrindingly awful, and are actually in line with "Stuff you should be doing just to get pre-raid gear). I'm working my way through it now at a casual pace which just wasn't possible in release. In release you had to treat attunement like it itself was a progression raid.

2. Itemization while not to my tastes, is still 90% better than it was. The only reason to run dungeons in live was to get attuned: There was no other reward besides a repair bill. Now dungeon gear is pretty much required for pre raid, it's ilvl is higher than the starter 50 crafted sets we were all wearing prior.

The biggest issues left over are:

1. Lag, they weren't expecting the response I got I don't think. The servers (At least the PVE servers) are jam packed, but as of last night at least they seem to have gotten a handle on it. I don't consider one great night out of a few spotty ones (Not bad enough to stop me from beating dungeons, but bad enough to be an inconvenience) a trend however. We'll see.

2. Availability of certain "Must have" things. You must have runed gear to do well in dungeons, yet they are miserly with runedrops, even with the contracts system and me picking rune rewards for everything I still only got a single runefragment yesterday that I need to just build one rune (I still need 6 more). I could sink every single plat I have into fixing up my runes to be "Correct" and still only be about a quarter done. In theory todays patch helps with that. We'll see.

3. Healing focus return really needs to be looked at, at least for spellslinger, and this is fed into with the rune issue. As it stands now I need runefragments that really only drop in vet dungeons in order to build the runesets I need to heal vet dungeons effectively without wiping. This is circular as gently caress. Prior to F2P at release I was healing vet dungeons just fine in gear that wasn't as good as what I have now. As it stands I'm dumping tons of focus recovery runes into my gear because I can go OOM in roughly no time flat the way it stands now. My DPS feels better than ever now that I'm runed halfway properly. My healing feels like it took a major hit on the other hand, I don't like that.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Yeah focus is weird for spellslingers especially, and I realized the reason I always ran out of focus was I was using the spellpower mode with wanton abandon, and each cast under that causes a focus drain which means it takes X amount of focus, and then drains an additional Y over so many seconds.

Since I stopped using that I haven't had as many problems, but I'm also not as far along as you, Rhy; I dunno if that's your problem but it's a good thing to note for people wanting to heal as a slinger. :v:

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The biggest issue is that most people I talk too that have good rigs have problems with the games performance. If you have a normal machine, wildstar might just be unplayable despite you more than meeting the requirements to run it. I don't know why my machine struggles with this game while playing modern, actually good looking games on high settings fine.

I can't imagine how this thing runs on a normal computer that most of your playerbase is going to actually have.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Turtle Sandbox posted:

The biggest issue is that most people I talk too that have good rigs have problems with the games performance. If you have a normal machine, wildstar might just be unplayable despite you more than meeting the requirements to run it. I don't know why my machine struggles with this game while playing modern, actually good looking games on high settings fine.

I can't imagine how this thing runs on a normal computer that most of your playerbase is going to actually have.

I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm running an AMD A8 with 8 GB of RAM and I think some kind of Radeon (I have no loving clue anymore and I'm at work and can't check) and I haven't run into any issues. It's the same rig I had when the game was in beta and when it launched, and I've never seen issues. I'm just incredibly lucky and fell into the right hole where poo poo is actually optimized, I guess.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
Since there's no goon presence on PvP, i'll probably just end up rolling on PvE again. Anyone know if you can transfer from PvP to PvE?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

There's no rhyme or reason to optimization and not even Carbine really knows what works best.

My lovely old laptop runs the game better than the PC I built new after I gave up on the game the first time.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

John Dyne posted:

Yeah focus is weird for spellslingers especially, and I realized the reason I always ran out of focus was I was using the spellpower mode with wanton abandon, and each cast under that causes a focus drain which means it takes X amount of focus, and then drains an additional Y over so many seconds.

Since I stopped using that I haven't had as many problems, but I'm also not as far along as you, Rhy; I dunno if that's your problem but it's a good thing to note for people wanting to heal as a slinger. :v:

It basically boils down to runes being my major issue, and I need to ditch torrent because it just costs too much to cast. This sucks because it was my major "Oh poo poo/That dumb motherfucker is across the room" heal and I spent hours getting good at sniping folks with it.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 15, 2015

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Any word on if tank warriors are still just plain worse than the other tanks? Because I honestly almost liked it but spamming one attack forever gets old.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Bombogenesis posted:

Any word on if tank warriors are still just plain worse than the other tanks? Because I honestly almost liked it but spamming one attack forever gets old.

They are the top tanks atm.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Turtle Sandbox posted:

As long as your computer isn't from 2005 or something performance may as well be random and you'll never really know until you try. A great computer might get 10 fps and middling one might get 30.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Wow, yeah see if you can find where the brain slug burrowed into his skull and took up residence, you might be able to save him yet if you can pour some salt in that opening.

Speaking of performance, I have the game running on what I assume is DX11 and I can't create new characters because the textures won't load. I force it to run DX9 through the shortcut, and lo and behold the textures load now, but when I actually get in game it runs like rear end. So try switching the version of DirectX I guess?

Tamayachi fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 15, 2015

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Tamayachi posted:

I have the game running

Found your issue

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Oh, I forgot to mention it runs perfectly fine once I get ingame at DX11, just that weird texture bug at character creation and selection.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I run FFXIV at max settings and it hovers around 60-120 FPS, Wildstar has trouble keeping 60FPS at medium-high, and at max can dip to below 30. What the hell.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
So on the subject of performance I was experiencing some real issues with FPS in some areas and wasn't sure what to tweak. however I found that the shortcut for the game goes to the 32 bit client by default. However there's a 64 bit client available in the install directory. Running this fixed all of my frame rate issues.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Verranicus posted:

I run FFXIV at max settings and it hovers around 60-120 FPS, Wildstar has trouble keeping 60FPS at medium-high, and at max can dip to below 30. What the hell.

It's likely the UI. Try out ForgeUI and see if that improves things for you.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

DisposableHero posted:

So on the subject of performance I was experiencing some real issues with FPS in some areas and wasn't sure what to tweak. however I found that the shortcut for the game goes to the 32 bit client by default. However there's a 64 bit client available in the install directory. Running this fixed all of my frame rate issues.

Holy poo poo, this is a giant impact to me as well. 60FPS 100% of the time (Vsync) now, much better.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 16, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is it actually true that the game's 'addons' that it comes with will crash?

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Anatharon posted:

Is it actually true that the game's 'addons' that it comes with will crash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
People pay money for this game.

• Locked thread