Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Just started this, are you supposed to like Max? He seems like a ungrateful little bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Just started this, are you supposed to like Max? He seems like a ungrateful little bitch

Ehh, not really. Max is in it for Max only.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Mad Max movies always follow the same trend of Max starting off as a selfish jackass, getting pulled into a struggle bigger than himself, and then begrudgingly (and usually almost accidentally) becoming a hero.

Although personally I feel like this last game missed the boat on that last part. But yeah, Max is not like Captain Heroic or anything.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The game definitely goes for a different characterization for Max. Throughout the movies he's a dude who you're supposed to like and root for, or at least relate to, despite him being a jackass. And then he turns around because deep down he's actually a big donut (the hole is where Jess and Sprog used to be :smith:). Game Max is a straight up shitweasel, though. I still like him for some stupid reason. v:shobon:v

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The game definitely goes for a different characterization for Max. Throughout the movies he's a dude who you're supposed to like and root for, or at least relate to, despite him being a jackass. And then he turns around because deep down he's actually a big donut (the hole is where Jess and Sprog used to be :smith:). Game Max is a straight up shitweasel, though. I still like him for some stupid reason. v:shobon:v

Yeah, Max sadly just feels like your generic Angry Video Game Protagonist in this, although part of it has to do with Max's goals being a little more poorly defined due to the sandbox structure, so he's not able to show character growth as well. In Road Warrior, he has the pretty clear goal of "I want more fuel" and the movie is very directly about that quest and how he changes on it, his reactions to events and the actions of the people around him changing him over time.

Whereas in the game, nobody really does a goddamn thing except for Max, all the leaders just stand in one spot and give him missions to do even though all he wants to do is get a nice car to go drive someplace. Every single character in the game is entirely static, so Max can't really bounce off of anybody but Chumbucket, who Max basically spends the whole game ignoring. It's all the big inherent flaws in video game writing coming together at once to hinder an entry in a franchise known for driving action and strong characterization.

I really like the game and enjoy playing it, but personally it completely misses the mark on being a Mad Max game outside of the general aesthetic of a guy in a leather suit driving cars really fast. Still fun as gently caress, though.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Mad Max is pretty much a post apocalyptic samurai movie. Strange wanderer gets involved in local events against his will, badasses his way through it, and moves on, leaving only his memory and legend.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Any new fix for the new again "tab" not working issue? The old fill up/eat food etc no longer works.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I really like the implication the game pushes that Pink Eye and Gutgash were also born after the apocalypse. Max being alive back then, yet younger then them just sticks with his mythical status. He's not a human whose gotten this far by being hardcore. He's a mythical proverbial horsemen of death who can't forgive himself/let go, and so appears when people need him the most to clear the land of the latest batch of bandits.

He's a legend, not a man.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Holy poo poo, when do I get a V8? I have pretty much every other upgrade there is, Max is...maxed out, I feel like I'm near the end of the game and I still haven't even got the basic one! There's like 5 upgrades for it, do they all unlock at once or something?

I went all over the wasteland doing fetch quests, finished Crow Dazzle's dumb race, got into the Gas Town race, won it after six tries, fought Lord Scotus TWICE and I still haven't got it?

Do I have to complete the entire story just to get a stinking engine upgrade?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

nexus6 posted:

Holy poo poo, when do I get a V8? I have pretty much every other upgrade there is, Max is...maxed out, I feel like I'm near the end of the game and I still haven't even got the basic one! There's like 5 upgrades for it, do they all unlock at once or something?

I went all over the wasteland doing fetch quests, finished Crow Dazzle's dumb race, got into the Gas Town race, won it after six tries, fought Lord Scotus TWICE and I still haven't got it?

Do I have to complete the entire story just to get a stinking engine upgrade?

It's so late in the game it might as well be the end.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
And after all that it doesn't even sound as cool as the V6.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
DLC where we play as post chainsaw scrotus in our decent into madness when?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Motherfucker posted:

DLC where we play as post chainsaw scrotus in our decent into madness when?

There's going to be a DLC where the player controls Chumbucket as AI Max goes on a series of relatively small quests and leaves the player to frantically fix the Magnum Opus via mini-games.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

So car mechanic simulator with a time limit and while being shot at? That sounds awesome.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Also the only tool you have is a wrench. And a small fire extinguisher.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

MMAgCh posted:

And after all that it doesn't even sound as cool as the V6.

I agree with this.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
There's some enemy car that sounds like it's got a bunch of chains bolted to the tires as it chases you and god dammit why can't my car sound like that

Also The Twelve sounds amazing as well.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I just noticed this, and it might just be me, but when you hit the boost button, does everything speed up like some shots from the films?

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

I actively felt myself at multiple points during the narrative wishing I could just make different choices than my dumb shithead character. I also felt during the whole intro sequence, 'Wow that's really awesome, sure looks like it would be fun to play' as I sat there watching with controller in hand.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, for how free the action is the plot is railroad to the square power, and not in the best way.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Junkenstein posted:

I just noticed this, and it might just be me, but when you hit the boost button, does everything speed up like some shots from the films?

It seems like it does, yeah. I also noticed (I think) that the sand drifts over the roads in Pinkeye's territory change constantly.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Justin Credible posted:

I actively felt myself at multiple points during the narrative wishing I could just make different choices than my dumb shithead character.

I actually really enjoyed this from an emotional perspective. Max is an animal who operates based on compulsion, and your lack of choices simulates his inability to break free of the cycle of violence and revenge that his life has become. Making you feel that way is almost certainly intentional, given the....unsavory way we say goodbye to chumbucket.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Justin Credible posted:

I actively felt myself at multiple points during the narrative wishing I could just make different choices than my dumb shithead character. I also felt during the whole intro sequence, 'Wow that's really awesome, sure looks like it would be fun to play' as I sat there watching with controller in hand.

A lot of modern games do this and its really loving annoying. See also: extended fight scenes in mortal kombat x. They aren't really games anymore. They're theme parks for idiots. You get a lot of pretty sights, an obnoxious tour guide who tells you everything whether you want to hear it or not (I know they have armor chumbucket shut up already), there's no penalty for failure and there's no reason to ever come back.

I'm pretty sure the only reason chumbucket hangs out in the car is because there are no radios for him to constantly talk at you from. Otherwise it would be "*bwoop* mega man mega man! saint! Saint! Don't drive off that cliff or you'll damage the car!" Constantly.

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 8, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Great Beer posted:

A lot of modern games do this and its really loving annoying. See also: extended fight scenes in mortal kombat x. They aren't really games anymore. They're theme parks for idiots. You get a lot of pretty sights, an obnoxious tour guide who tells you everything whether you want to hear it or not (I know they have armor chumbucket shut up already), there's no penalty for failure and there's no reason to ever come back.

I'm pretty sure the only reason chumbucket hangs out in the car is because there are no radios for him to constantly talk at you from. Otherwise it would be "*bwoop* mega man mega man! saint! Saint! Don't drive off that cliff or you'll damage the car!" Constantly.

If the wasteland is an allegory for coming of age (as we are led to believe) and Max is the obstinate teen who blindly pursues the raw power-fantasy of a V8 (flashbacks to Vin Diesel revealing the caged beast that is a 1970 Dodge Charger in The Fast and the Furious while groveling about how "it scares the hell out of me") then it's pretty obvious that Chum is the ever-doting parent who delivers inescapable words of wisdom as the player attempts to kill themselves. Does Chum actually exist? Is our mother's voice real or simply internal monologue when it reminds us that we can't live on just Dinkie Di? Even Chum-Mother's relentless sexual innuendos to tools and toys is reminiscent of a concerned, cloistered mom.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I mean, this game is a lead up to the movie, so how much room for open story telling do you think they really had? I'm more upset that they could have made up new gangs with their own personality, but instead had this game take place right next to where the movie does, and made the villain just another one of Joe's sons that we've never heard of.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

If anyone here is a completionist but is having difficulty finding boarders to impale themselves on your car spikes I found a good spot near gutgash's place. Without fail just waiting a minute or two at the intersection would get an approaching warband that nearly always had a car full of boarders.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
So I just met Pink Eye. Is this game ever anything more than "do things to get scrap, upgrade car so that you do things easier, repeat"? It's fun and the game world is interesting, but the gameplay just seems one-dimensional at its core.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

CVagts posted:

So I just met Pink Eye. Is this game ever anything more than "do things to get scrap, upgrade car so that you do things easier, repeat"? It's fun and the game world is interesting, but the gameplay just seems one-dimensional at its core.

Sometimes it makes you race, showing off how bad the car physics are when you don't have an open world to drive around in. It's an unfortunately shallow game.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

CVagts posted:

You're in the middle chunk of the game that basically only exists because modern audiences demand 50-90 hours of gameplay for their money. Just get through this section and get to Gastown as soon as you can if you're not enjoying doing the same (very very fun) stuff over again. The last 2-3 hours of the game are just great, and definitely not the same old stuff.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Great Beer posted:

Sometimes it makes you race, showing off how bad the car physics are when you don't have an open world to drive around in. It's an unfortunately shallow game.

Not all games need "deep and engaging" storylines though. Mad Max the game promises crazy vehicular combat and delivers. I couldnt give less of a hoot about story as long as i get to roam around and upgrade my magnum opus with the twisted remains of my enemies.

He seemed to be lamenting the lack of a deep and engaging storyline and game mechanics. I just aired my opinion that those things arent necessary pre-requisites for a good game.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 10, 2015

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

GyverMac posted:

Not all games need "deep and engaging" storylines though. Mad Max the game promises crazy vehicular combat and delivers. I couldnt give less of a hoot about story as long as i get to roam around and upgrade my magnum opus with the twisted remains of my enemies.

I....don't understand what this has to do with the post you quoted.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
That sure was a Mad Max game that I just finished. The ending was a bummer, but totally in keeping with the theme. I also really appreciated how the game could be interpreted as some kind of purgatory or personal hell for Max, a neverending loop of losing his Interceptor, finding people to care about, then losing them but getting back the car. Between that and the dream sequence, that car has really taken on some sinister characteristics.

Also post credits I got a notification that the original Interceptor was now a vehicle choice, but where is it in the garage? I looked through the car bodies and Archangels list but there was nothing.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Also post credits I got a notification that the original Interceptor was now a vehicle choice, but where is it in the garage? I looked through the car bodies and Archangels list but there was nothing.

Its in the same menu as chums buggy, near the bottom of the list somewhere.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Dragonstoned posted:

Its in the same menu as chums buggy, near the bottom of the list somewhere.

:doh: That makes sense, thanks. drat, this thing alone is wish fulfillment and completely justifies what I paid.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
Pretty close to finishing the story. It really bums me out that the developers didn't put in too much afterthought to the endgame. I already have most of the upgrades and I don 't care about getting everything.

It'd be really nice if they released a DLC. I'd gladly pay money to take down more convoys and just have the world feel populated again. I hate the fact that the patrols have all stopped.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Finished the main story, liked the ending. It really fits with the "Max is a western character, gets in, does his stuff, rides into the sunset, leaving behind just a legend (and lots of corpses)". Hell, during 80% of the game he's literally Eastwood's Man with No Name. It could perfectly be a story told by the descendants of the people that rose against Scrotus fifteen generations ago and who have forgotten the real story, for example.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 11, 2015

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Did they ever patch the patch that broke the map and the stuttering people have talked about in here? I quit playing the game because I got really busy with work, then never started again once I read the comments ITT about the last patch.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Finished it just now, I liked it. It felt very Mad Max.
But what hit me is how perfectly it leads into Fury Road, despite the developer going out of their way to say that it's a different Max;
Scrotus is dead, leaving someone else to take power in Gas Town, such as the People Eater from the movie. Max has his Interceptor back, along with his shotgun and jacket (that we could just say were stashed in the car), and he has a little girl talking in his head, just like in the movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Groetgaffel posted:

Finished it just now, I liked it. It felt very Mad Max.
But what hit me is how perfectly it leads into Fury Road, despite the developer going out of their way to say that it's a different Max;
Scrotus is dead, leaving someone else to take power in Gas Town, such as the People Eater from the movie. Max has his Interceptor back, along with his shotgun and jacket (that we could just say were stashed in the car), and he has a little girl talking in his head, just like in the movie.

It's not just a little girl, it's the same littler girl. In Fury Road she's credited as "Glory the Child."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

It's not just a little girl, it's the same littler girl. In Fury Road she's credited as "Glory the Child."

Yeah, the prequel comic written by Miller follows pretty much the exact plotline of the game. Or vice versa.

• Locked thread