Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waldean
Apr 27, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Did 11 come out before wow?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

No way, thats dumb.

I'm talking about things before my time, but this is basically how the 24-man raids worked before too, right? To give people without the time/inclination to grind esoes and savage the ability to catch-up. If it just gave law- equivalent poo poo then what's the point?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Did 11 come out before wow?

Yep, a bunch of people in my linkshell even left as a group to go play it.

E: and they came to FFXI from Everquest actually.

Maybe they're still out there...somewhere.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mordiceius posted:

Void ark is here! Everyone gets "cool" black gear. Oh, you healers? Yeah, you're stuck with the white set.

:negative:

Where's the cool black gear? I don't see any in that screen shot.

Glad to see the "we're going to keep giving MNK and NIN the same loving look" art design keeps trucking along :sigh:

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

void ark looks like what the 8man raid should have been, why do we get boring-rear end alex instead of that giger-tastic purpl-- right, we already had a purple raid

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Sarrisan posted:

I'm talking about things before my time, but this is basically how the 24-man raids worked before too, right? To give people without the time/inclination to grind esoes and savage the ability to catch-up. If it just gave law- equivalent poo poo then what's the point?

Yep, the ilevel for CT gear was i80/i100/i120.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Saigyouji posted:

Yep, the ilevel for CT gear was i80/i100/i120.

So void dark lvl 2 will be ilvl 200, haha. Why the gently caress do they have the 24 come out after the eso gear comes out?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Tenzarin posted:

So void dark lvl 2 will be ilvl 200, haha. Why the gently caress do they have the 24 come out after the eso gear comes out?

Er, no? Each CT was 10 ilevels lower than the current 8 man raid. There is no way 3.1 Void Ark is not going to be i200 gear.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Saigyouji posted:

Er, no? Each CT was 10 ilevels lower than the current 8 man raid. There is no way 3.1 Void Ark is not going to be i200 gear.

seems dumb, hey everyone still playing for eso gear get hosed from japan!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

xD

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
If drop rates are anything like CT then you very likely will still be grinding esos and poo poo. I was doing WoD for a month or 2 almost every day before 3.0 hit for glamours and I never completed the healer set. Considering there will likely be a weekly lockout as well, I imagine the main purpose of it will be to complement eso gear rather than replace it for a lot of people. Personally I'm probably going to dedicate most of it towards alts, with esoes going to my main class (If I can ever decide between DPS and healer that is...).

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hivac posted:

Regardless of which role a person is playing and what I'm playing this is the #1 way to cause me to become irrationally furious and cause my blood pressure to skyrocket

Maybe you should relax a bit

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Blockhouse posted:

just wanna say that krile turning out to be a lalalfell is funny and kojifox is probably slapping his forehead for that now

So that's Krille?

I want the hat she has on.. :negative:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just adding 100 to 2.0 ilevels doesn't work, since the best gear you could get until 2.2 was i95 weapons and i90 armor.

Also ignore_tenzarin.gif

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

or you could just get stuff that's pretty and/or for an alt class that you can't deck out in eso and/or to get upgrade items for your sick eso gear and/or stop shitposting

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Tenzarin's OF-grade posting aside, SE had already announced that the 3.1 content will drop gear up to i210:
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/09/18/final-fantasy-xivs-patch-3-1-update-to-launch-in-early-november/

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Tenzarin's OF-grade posting aside, SE had already announced that the 3.1 content will drop gear up to i210:
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/09/18/final-fantasy-xivs-patch-3-1-update-to-launch-in-early-november/

that's exploration missions, not void fart

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
anyone else think Yoshi-P is ridiculously cute and would totally hit on him if you spotted him in the bar?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Have they said what step on the 2.0 relic you need to be at to be able to skip a step with the new one?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SirPhoebos posted:

Have they said what step on the 2.0 relic you need to be at to be able to skip a step with the new one?

I think they said zeta.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

a kitten posted:

Hunters were the dragoons (ffxi) of WoW, now it's come back full circle.

Except they were fixed (damage wise) in TBC and beyond. FFXI took way longer to change their 2 hour ability from summoning a lovely pet to something more useful.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Holyshoot posted:

Except they were fixed (damage wise) in TBC and beyond. FFXI took way longer to change their 2 hour ability from summoning a lovely pet to something more useful.

The FFXI Dragoon stigma really wasn't about the 2Hr though. It was about Dex Rings.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Evil Fluffy posted:

Snap son! Giving people the best gear easily will just make the game more of a ghost town.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Niton posted:

The FFXI Dragoon stigma really wasn't about the 2Hr though. It was about Dex Rings.

The DRG forums on allakazham were the best thing.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Niton posted:

explain?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Niton posted:

It was the multi-hit weaponskill nerf. In FFXI TP was gained mostly by hitting a mob, gaining some amount per hit based on your weapon's swing speed - faster weapons gave less per hit, slower gave more. Weaponskills became available at 100% TP and consumed all of your TP (maximum 300%) to do more damage/effects. Dragoons got the weaponskill Pentathrust, which naturally hit five times, meaning up to 60% TP immediately after using it, and it was this ability to "spam" weapon skills (at the breakneck pace of... maybe once every twelve seconds?) that made DRGs useful.

When Dynamis came out, the relic weapon questline started with "relic X" weapons that randomly dropped, that had minimum damage and the slowest possible swing speed. Some clever monk put on a pair of relic knuckles and realized it gave him so much TP per hit that the 8-hit high-level MNK weaponskill Asuran Fists - which couldn't leave the user with more than about 40% TP normally - gave him enough TP to immediately use Asuran Fists again, basically forever, more than making up for the low damage of the weapon. At the time one of the most popular ways to grind was another loving skeleton hole called King Ranperre's Tomb, so monks started flocking to the place with these easy-to-get knuckles and just turbopunching skeletons forever. SE nerfed multihit weaponskills such that every hit after the first only gave 1% TP, and DRGs were caught in the crossfire.

Jesus Christ, that was a long time ago... not long after the American release. 2004 or early 2005, maybe.

e: had a friend who was a tarutaru monk, they had an amazing asuran fists animation as this nine-year-old video demonstrates

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 15, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Suitaru posted:

It was the multi-hit weaponskill nerf. In FFXI TP was gained mostly by hitting a mob, gaining some amount per hit based on your weapon's swing speed - faster weapons gave less per hit, slower gave more. Weaponskills became available at 100% TP and consumed all of your TP (maximum 300%) to do more damage/effects. Dragoons got the weaponskill Pentathrust, which naturally hit five times, meaning up to 60% TP immediately after using it, and it was this ability to "spam" weapon skills (at the breakneck pace of... maybe once every twelve seconds?) that made DRGs useful.

When Dynamis came out, the relic weapon questline started with "relic X" weapons that randomly dropped, that had minimum damage and the slowest possible swing speed. Some clever monk put on a pair of relic knuckles and realized it gave him so much TP per hit that the 8-hit high-level MNK weaponskill Asuran Fists - which couldn't leave the user with more than about 40% TP normally - gave him enough TP to immediately use Asuran Fists again, basically forever, more than making up for the low damage of the weapon. At the time one of the most popular ways to grind was another loving skeleton hole called King Ranperre's Tomb, so monks started flocking to the place with these easy-to-get knuckles and just turbopunching skeletons forever. SE nerfed multihit weaponskills such that every hit after the first only gave 1% TP, and DRGs were caught in the crossfire.

Jesus Christ, that was a long time ago... not long after the American release. 2004 or early 2005, maybe.

No way penta ever gave me back that much tp and everyone avoided dragoons like the plague. Safe to say, it sounds like when I played.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Idly curious, what do you all think's easier to play at 60 for current encounters, DRG or BLM? I've had DRG at 60 for a while but BLM's only 57 and a bit so I know I'm missing the big game-changers.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Suitaru's explanation of the origin of Loldrg is completely correct, but (imo) the real enduring Dragoon stigma, the one that gets people to name their character "Lol Drg" or to think that all dragoons are floor-humping trash, has very little to do with the class' actual combat capabilities. FFXI Dragoons were percieved (and honestly, kind of were) as being awful at properly equipping themselves. If you picked up a Dragoon for a party, you had a better-than-even shot of them wearing multiple pieces of gear that were completely unsuitable for their role, or using a food that gave stats they absolutely didn't need.

As an advanced job, you had to be level 30 to unlock Dragoon, which meant that - at some point - you were forced to interact with other people to level to 30 to begin with. The "loldrg" stigma is because so many of these players learned absolutely nothing from that experience, and continued to learn nothing during forced interaction. The nerfs that the class ate certainly did not help, but there was never a shortage of fuel to the loldrg fire.

Niton fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 15, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Niton posted:

Suitaru's explanation of the origin of Loldrg is completely correct, but (imo) the real enduring Dragoon stigma, the one that gets people to name their character "Lol Drg" or to think that all dragoons are floor-humping trash, has very little to do with the class' actual combat capabilities. FFXI Dragoons were percieved (and honestly, kind of were) as being awful at properly equipping themselves. If you picked up a Dragoon for a party, you had a better-than-even shot of them wearing multiple pieces of gear that were completely unsuitable for their role, or using a food that gave stats they absolutely didn't need.

As an advanced job, you had to be level 30 to unlock Dragoon, which meant that - at some point - you were forced to interact with other people to level to 30 to begin with. The "loldrg" stigma is because so many of these players learned absolutely nothing from that experience, and continued to learn nothing during forced interaction. The nerfs that the class ate certainly did not help, but there was never a shortage of fuel to the loldrg fire.

There was no way to just "unlock dragoon" too, you have to fight a lvl 50 dragon. So soloing at lvl 30 was out of the question. I talked some jpn player into helping me. Gearing was really strange in ff11 and I think drgs used str.

I think the gearing thing was just a ff11 thing, this was the time before gear levels and such. Alot of the cool classes needed a high level player to help them unlock it at 30, it wasnt as easy to talk to some guy in town(but in retrospec, was it any different than getting someone to kill a high lvl mob instead of a cutscene?). These were long quests.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 15, 2015

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Niton posted:

Ya I do remember one dragoon in my time playing and he was pretty loving awful. He even knew the class was bad and didn't care. He also played tarutaru making his damage further worse because of how racial stats worked.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

nehezir posted:

anyone else think Yoshi-P is ridiculously cute and would totally hit on him if you spotted him in the bar?

I really like your av. Alpha owns.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

nehezir posted:

id go straight for yoshi-p and i can confirm from meeting him irl that i totally fangirl melted

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

nnnggh why can't i report people like this

also i'd suck yoshi-p's dick no lie

but then again i am an actual homogay irl

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kitfox88 posted:

also i'd suck yoshi-p's dick no lie

but then again i am an actual homogay irl

Isn't that more or less right for someone at that level who only picks up jewellry from quests/dungeon drops? Rightside is pretty rare below 50 unless you go out of your way.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

At least he's still wearing tank gear. I had a tank in SV once who was wearing nothing but Disciples of War gear on his left side. As in, he had less than half the defense he was supposed to have. I basically had to spam Benefic 2 non stop to keep him from dying. When I asked him to put on some tank gear he told me that he had read that strength was better than vit so he didn't have any.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kitfox88 posted:

Because it'd be stupid to report someone who's most likely new to the game?

I mean this game makes no attempt to hide the fact that it's designed from the ground up as Babby's First MMO so I don't really see what the big deal is. It's level 22, it very well could be his first week of playing and he hasn't learned enough to use the MB to gear up.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
you literally get a shield as part of several gladiator class quests

in fact they're wearing the heavy iron armor chest/headpiece they probably got from the level 25 quest

which also gives you an iron scutum

seriously don't get all 'lol ur an elitist' on me, ffxiv is literally my first mmo outside of like 10 minutes of wow and even i was like 'i should probably have equipment in those slots'

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Oh I forgot gladiators are actually supposed to have something in that slot. The jewelry situation isn't really an issue though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

At first I thought it was just the absence of jewelery. Sure some str right side is nice but pretty meh at level 20. I didn't even notice he didn't have a shield 'till I read the replies :shepicide:

e: basically what cheetah said

• Locked thread