Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Gunna need a pretty hefty pump to deal with the head height on that, but I hope you can do it. I'll be envious as gently caress, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Someone talk me out of buying an ebay laser and going postal on aiptasia in my tank.

Vessel From Denny
Nov 20, 2007
That sounds cool as hell actually. Make sure to post results

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Seems like a good way to blind your fish.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Gonna make a short trip to pick up some berghia nudibranchs, but if they don't do the trick I think the laser option is still on the table.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Peppermint Shrimp + kalk paste

I really don't mind my aiptasia though, it never causes any problems and I kind of like the increased biodiversity. I've never been stung though so maybe that would change my attitude.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Second only to bubble algae, apstasia is a horrible pest especially when you're big on zoanthids like I am.

I've been battling them in my tank basically since it started up 2.4 years ago. I don't have a quarantine tank but I've been really careful about what I introduce inspecting frag plugs and rinsing things in Revive. Still, apstasia managed to make it in and now its an ongoing battle. They're mostly easy to get rid of except for the ones that grow horizontally. You can squirt them with solution but it basically just falls down and never ends up killing all of it. Then there are the especially difficult to reach ones on the backs of rocks and in deep corners. Basically you can never get rid of all of them short of breaking down your tank and boiling your rocks.

The worst is when they find their way in between zoas. It irritates the hell out of them and can ultimately kill colonies. gently caress apstasia.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah, I've mostly been dealing with them manually so far, but now a few are starting to grow up in and near some zoas and acans. I've tried injecting them, but some are just impossible to get to.

e: the peppermint shrimp I added have completely ignored them so far

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Probably not a real peppermint shrimp then. IIRC there's a mimic that looks like them but doesn't eat aiptasia

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I think there is a risk of the glass of the tank spot-heating from the laser and breaking. Cracking the live rock is a possibility too.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Picked up a few of the berghia nudibranchs today. Let them loose on a rock near an aiptasia, and they both made a beeline straight for it.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I'm pretty sure people have already posted experiences with lasers vis a vis apstasia on Reef Central so I'd go there to read up. If I recall, it kind of worked for the guy but he had to get a pricey laser.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.
Berghia Nudibranches all the way. It takes them a little while to begin breeding, but once they do, they form an unstoppable army of Aiptasia murderers.

I added 10 to my 150 gallon that was absolutely plagued by Aiptasia (at a guess I'd say I had over 500 in the tank). Two of the Berghia were immediately eaten by Aiptasia (which will happen if you happen to drop them directly onto the anemone). The remaining 8 had almost zero affect for about a month; then, within a two week period, I had an explosion of Nudibranches in the tank that cleared out almost every Aiptasia.

The only downside is then extracting the Nudibranches from the tank and giving them to another reefer (or trading in at the LFS, which is what I did) so they don't starve.

I've had reasonable luck with Aiptasia Eating Filefish as well, but that can be hit or miss depending on the fish. I never had any success at all with Peppermint Shrimp.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That is definitely some encouraging news! I picked up 2 for my 40g, and the LFS said they had just started breeding in the little tank they keep them in. Fingers crossed, but this morning there was no sign of the large aiptasia on the rock I dropped them on.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yay my house has 45psi water pressure!

This thing PUMPS some water. Definitely not gonna be a issue with collecting enough for WCs.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
So I've been thinking about starting up a nano reef as my first ever saltwater tank. Any suggestions on a good kit? I'm thinking maybe a 14g biocube. Are those pretty good? I would be starting off with zoas and low light corals so is the light that comes with the tank good enough for that? I know eventually I'll want to upgrade if I want more high light corals. As far as anemonies go, is that enough light/space for a bubble tip? I really like how they look. I've done the whole FW thing but I am a complete newbie to SW. Please tell me how smart stupid my plan is.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Biocubes are kinda lame and overpriced, especially if you're going towards the type of corals that require light and dosing.

To start, what does the room you want the tank to be in look like? What's your budget?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
FWIW zoas are emphatically not low-light-loving corals.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you
I've kept Biocubes and they are overpriced, but if you buy one used would probably be a good starter. But in order to keep a bubbletip and other things, I had to take off the hood and upgrade the light, so honestly it'd be better to just start off with something nicer. Right now I keep an IM Nuvo 10g and I love it - the starter kit came with a 18w LED that I later upgraded.

Buying used is still a good option for a beginner, but I will say that you will probably end up upgrading everything (maybe more than once) as things go on. Don't go cheap if you don't have to.

I've kept a bubbletip (who eventually became two) in a 12g.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The new Innovative Marine tanks are really good, much better than what you get with a biocube. I got a Fusion 10gal sitting at home.

Also with these LED lights, don't feel like you can run them for nearly as long as you can FW planted lighting. My office tank is an 8g with ~50 watts of edisons and I run it for 5 hours a day total, and whites are only on for about 3 of those hours. The IM tank at home with the stock LED 18W I can get away with about 6 hours of lighting a day.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 14, 2015

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

broken clock opsec posted:

The new Innovative Marine tanks are really good, much better than what you get with a biocube. I got a 30liter(?) one sitting at home.

I definitely will vouch for IM, everything I've gotten from them has worked really well and is reasonable for the price. I also think the tank just plain looks nicer than a Biocube.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Hood Ornament posted:

I definitely will vouch for IM, everything I've gotten from them has worked really well and is reasonable for the price. I also think the tank just plain looks nicer than a Biocube.

I looked at those online. They seem really nice. Should I get the combo that includes a light or just buy the 10g tank for 99 and use the 100 bucks on a different light? So if I'm understanding this right I will need the tank, lights, powerhead, heater, live rock and some sand?? Am I missing anything important? I'd like to start with the basics and get a few frags, an anemone, a cool clownfish or two and a cleanup crew. Would that be doable in the IM Fusion 10g without having to do daily water changes?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I pulled the bioballs out of my biocube as instructed and what do you know, two days later the cyano has completely stopped growing. So thank you for breaking me of my filter media habit folks.

Mostly. I'm keeping the sponge in place because the idea of having a filter between my pump and suspended sand particles just seems like a good idea. It'll be getting cleaned frequently.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Rallos posted:

I looked at those online. They seem really nice. Should I get the combo that includes a light or just buy the 10g tank for 99 and use the 100 bucks on a different light? So if I'm understanding this right I will need the tank, lights, powerhead, heater, live rock and some sand?? Am I missing anything important? I'd like to start with the basics and get a few frags, an anemone, a cool clownfish or two and a cleanup crew. Would that be doable in the IM Fusion 10g without having to do daily water changes?

It'll be pretty hard to get an appropriate light for the tank for $100. (The light that comes with it is pretty bad in terms of color, but seems reasonable in terms of raw power) You could buy a PAR38 screw-in with slightly better color balance, or a fuller range of colors, and resign yourself to using a desk lamp clamp.

After you get your rock and the water filled up and the tank running, I'd wait 1.5 months before adding any livestock.

I would not add 2 clownfish to this tank. 1 maybe, max. If you do 2 fish, maybe a pair of a smaller shrimp goby species.

If you're keeping fish or that bubble-tip anemone in this tank I would recommend you do weekly water changes. If you stick with solely inverts you would probably get away with doing no WC.

e: http://www.amazon.com/Coral-Compulsion-Par38-Spectrum-Dimmable/dp/B0099QU3VW

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 15, 2015

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Rallos posted:

IMO a 10 gallon is way too small for even a single clownfish. Really, nano/pico tanks of this size require single very small fish or a pair of very tiny fish to be doable. I would recommend a green banded goby (perhaps a pair) or a shrimp/goby pair if you are absolutely committed to such a small tank size.

Remember that the stocking limits aren't just a matter of water quality, but also of actual space. While almost all pet suppliers provide ridiculously small suggestions for minimum tank size for most species, LiveAquaria tends to be the most reasonable - even they recommend a minimum of 20-30 gallons for a clownfish.

To be honest, if you're just starting out in SW, I'd strongly suggest starting with a larger tank size. Controlling parameters on tanks below 20 gallons is not the easiest or most enjoyable entry into the hobby. I think you'd be a lot happier with a 20 or 30 gallon tank, and the initial expense will be more than offset by the ease of use and additional options. Just my opinion.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Agreed, maintaining params on a 10gal is going to be a nightmare. Hope you don't ever take vacations! You'd want an auto top off for sure if you were going to go with that small of a setup.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Would the water params be a lot more manageable in a tank that small if I stuck to just inverts and coral? Not sure if a 20 will fit in my space. There are tons of cool saltwater inverts so I wouldn't mind that.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Rallos posted:

Would the water params be a lot more manageable in a tank that small if I stuck to just inverts and coral? Not sure if a 20 will fit in my space. There are tons of cool saltwater inverts so I wouldn't mind that.

No because your worry is swings in temp, ph, salinity, etc. Nutrients and other things from livestock are less of a concern.

You can get away with a smaller tank, it's just much trickier.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

I have an ATO for my 10g because I was topping off water manually at least twice a day, even with a lid I made out of acrylic. The 18w Skyye light that comes with the tank is good for corals, but yeah, it can be a bit difficult for taking pictures and is very white. But it works. Any other LED tank light will be over $100 unless you get a screw-in bulb and hang it, as suggested earlier.

I've kept a pair of clowns in a 14g but it was very crowded. I always do weekly WC of 1-2 gallons.

In a 10g you could do something like a two spot blenny or a clown goby. Live Aquaria lists these guys for 10g: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+2124&r=3119&s=ts&start=1&page_num=1&count=24

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

The new Innovative Marine tanks are really good, much better than what you get with a biocube. I got a Fusion 10gal sitting at home.

Also with these LED lights, don't feel like you can run them for nearly as long as you can FW planted lighting. My office tank is an 8g with ~50 watts of edisons and I run it for 5 hours a day total, and whites are only on for about 3 of those hours. The IM tank at home with the stock LED 18W I can get away with about 6 hours of lighting a day.

How is the filtration setup on the Fusion 10? I see it has a media basket which worked out okay in my previous nano. Is that middle chamber for a skimmer?

I have a 50 gallon Cadlights setup that is sitting unused and I was thinking about setting it up in my office but it seems like a lot of work in addition to my 120 at home. Instead I'm looking into a 10-20 gallon tank which seems a lot easier to manage.

Bonus pic of my old 12 gallon nano from a few years back.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The media basket it comes with is merely ok, I swapped it out with the intank version asap.

I don't know of any commercial pico skimmers you could stick in the middle chamber, I'm using a santa monica algae scrubber (the 0.2 size I think? it's a black box with a sealed red led in it), but I suppose you could DIY a bubble stone and a tube together for ghetto skimming which would work fine.

I'm using a JBJ rimless 8gal as my office tank (my LFS dealer scored it for me out of a show)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 15, 2015

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

I also upgraded my media basket to the InTank but then eventually got rid of that too and just run the back as a fuge with chaeto, no media. You can fit a Ghost skimmer in the middle chamber but it will take it up completely. I run mine with no skimmer, no media.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
So after digging more into this I've seen that a reef tank probably isn't going to work at the office right now. Expensive lighting and whatnot. I will likely have one in my home at a later date. For now I think I'm going to pick up a fluval edge and use it to house some live rock and a small G. Smithii Mantis Shrimp (3.5" max length). I don't need a tall tank since the mantis really needs more horizontal than vertical space. I plan on putting a PVC pipe tunnel with the live rock and rubble so he can have his choice of lair. How many pounds of live rock would I want for a tank like this?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Rallos posted:

So after digging more into this I've seen that a reef tank probably isn't going to work at the office right now. Expensive lighting and whatnot. I will likely have one in my home at a later date. For now I think I'm going to pick up a fluval edge and use it to house some live rock and a small G. Smithii Mantis Shrimp (3.5" max length). I don't need a tall tank since the mantis really needs more horizontal than vertical space. I plan on putting a PVC pipe tunnel with the live rock and rubble so he can have his choice of lair. How many pounds of live rock would I want for a tank like this?

Depends on the tank size. Between 1 and 1.5lbs per gallon.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

revmoo posted:

Depends on the tank size. Between 1 and 1.5lbs per gallon.

6 Gallon This tank

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The media basket it comes with is merely ok, I swapped it out with the intank version asap.

I don't know of any commercial pico skimmers you could stick in the middle chamber, I'm using a santa monica algae scrubber (the 0.2 size I think? it's a black box with a sealed red led in it), but I suppose you could DIY a bubble stone and a tube together for ghetto skimming which would work fine.

I'm using a JBJ rimless 8gal as my office tank (my LFS dealer scored it for me out of a show)

How does that turf scrubber work, how often are you cleaning it out?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
ATS are awesome and first on my list if I ever get a basement sump going.

Also I am SO GLAD I bought a 55g Brute instead of something smaller. With the float valve installed, I'm only actually looking at about 37.5 gallons or so which equals a 35 gallon water change with a little left over for top-off water. Had I bought one of the 30 gallon ones I'd be screwed for making a decent amount of water.

Also gently caress having a "large" tank. 35 gallon water changes get pricey when you add up the cost of salt. I couldn't imagine if I had a 120g or something. Definitely would be running reactors.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

revmoo posted:

Also I am SO GLAD I bought a 55g Brute instead of something smaller. With the float valve installed, I'm only actually looking at about 37.5 gallons or so which equals a 35 gallon water change with a little left over for top-off water. Had I bought one of the 30 gallon ones I'd be screwed for making a decent amount of water.

Also gently caress having a "large" tank. 35 gallon water changes get pricey when you add up the cost of salt. I couldn't imagine if I had a 120g or something. Definitely would be running reactors.

Eh yeah it gets pricey but its not that bad and buying in bulk helps. At this point, my only real ongoing costs are water, electricity, salt and additives. I buy a 200 gallon box of Instant Ocean every I'd say 4-5 months for $50 shipped on Amazon. For supplements, I use E.S.V. B-ionic 2 part. There is a place online that will sell you two 4 gallon buckets of the stuff for $100 shipped and sometimes they have deals. I'll go through 4 gallons of each supplement in about 4 months or so. I've actually been thinking about buying the 10 gallon concentrate but that might be overkill. The water filter's are pretty cheap and I replace those probably twice a year for about $30. The real bitch is electricity in So Cal. I'm pretty much always in Tier 3 or 4.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

SaNChEzZ posted:

How does that turf scrubber work, how often are you cleaning it out?

I'm not feeding the tank enough to have to clean it out apparently. Softies are out-competing it for nutrients by mass alone. That probably makes it a bit of a failure. But hey if the tank balance is doing so well anyway I'd rather just have it there doing nothing.

revmoo posted:

Yeah, I use an actual waterfall ATS setup in the regular tank and it owns so much for keeping pod levels up.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2532303

650 gallon tank blows apart due to improper manufacturing, ruining dudes house. Tank company refuses to pay for the damages.

• Locked thread