Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Not mad about that. Kinda mad about watching another guy willingly circle the drain again, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
if you're referring to me its been more like 32 years of trying to climb up from the drain and slipping on massive mounds of poo poo that are my life (yes I know a majority is self inflicted) if not then who ever it is I hope that they get better!

edit this is literally my only social outlet so let me have this please :smith:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
on recruiting, they would show the Alec Baldwin speech from loving Glenn Garry Glennross, then like chew us out for hours.

Hilarious part about that movie? The only guy that made no effort is the one who succeeded.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

psydude posted:

I spent most of my time running interference on O6s and generals to keep them away from my Joes. Because Joes oftentimes believe in the result over the process, and that doesn't quite sit well with high ranking officers.

This mentality is where MDMP comes from.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

The Rat posted:

This is wisdom. Also because some NCOs started getting lovely about the grout between tiles in the bathroom being slightly off-white, I would pour white cleaning powder on the floor, sweep it lightly so that it would fill in over the grout, then mop lightly so that it would get wet and solidify there. Held long enough for inspection.

Also a bunch of posters of chicks with guns distracted the hell out of any inspecting NCO, which helped out too.

You know what's great? Not being in the Army anymore.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

I just now realized that every single turboturd mid-career nco I had when my butthole didn't resemble a heavily used windtunnel wound up becoming E-7+. I don't know why I'm so surprised by this. Chicken or egg?

Maybe that's why the good ones stand out so much. And why I can count those I've encountered in 12 years without going into double digits.

Kiryen posted:

I've literally been told by Very Important People that the outcome is less important than the process. Like, for poo poo that matters. Those people would really rather pretend most MoH citations didn't exist, by the way.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 15, 2015

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Suntan Boy posted:

Those people would really rather pretend most MoH citations didn't exist, by the way.

How do you mean? In a "well, if it'd been risk managed properly, they never would have had to tackle a suicide-vest wearing dude to the ground" kind of way?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

:stare: CPT Groberg was one of my classmates at IOBC.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kiryen posted:

It's funny too, because information these days is to easy and quick to disseminate that there isn't really a need for MDMP at the battalion level. Or even at most brigades.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

psydude posted:

It's funny too, because information these days is to easy and quick to disseminate that there isn't really a need for MDMP at the battalion level. Or even at most brigades.

The point of MDMP isn't to disseminate information, it's to plan, decide, and synchronize various staff functions.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

i was a PIECE OF poo poo SERGEANT because I didn't knock on my soldiers doors at like 3am to make sure they made it to formation at 0630. Nor did I worry if they had so much as a can in the trash at any given time.

give a soldier a trash can, freak out if they use it. Like yeah maybe not if its overflowing and looking like Hoarders Buried Alive but lol gently caress man I need pot. I'm so glad I'm out this is a good thing

This is one that will still piss me off. Every single minute I spent at parade rest or pushing for this I'd be thinking to myself, "You loving cock stain I live here. Let's go to *YOUR* house and see if there's a fruit bar wrapper from breakfast in your can."

Now I have the sweetest possible revenge; fat, unshaven civilian getting paid to get a degree and a real job while secure in the knowledge that their reward for being fundamentally broken individuals that cannot function in the real world is higher rank and more time in the Army.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's given me great pleasure to interview a bunch of E7s/O3s for jobs and subsequently reject them for fit.

No, you koolaid drinking motherfuckers, I don't care that you were responsible for the health, welfare and morale of 7 soldiers and directly responsible for equipment in excess of 7 million dollars. You have the personality of a lobster and nobody will want to work with you.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Vasudus posted:

It's given me great pleasure to interview a bunch of E7s/O3s for jobs and subsequently reject them for fit.

No, you koolaid drinking motherfuckers, I don't care that you were responsible for the health, welfare and morale of 7 soldiers and directly responsible for equipment in excess of 7 million dollars. You have the personality of a lobster and nobody will want to work with you.

Yeah, one of the "tips" I got from someone I was talking to about resumes said not to put "responsible for X dollars of stuff" cause no one really cares.

And barracks chat: poo poo made me mad as gently caress too with health and welfare bullshit. It was like punishment because married idiots didn't get their poo poo checked at all.

Worst part were the surprise ones where 1SG would bring the company run to the barracks with the cadence "Hey you! Wake up!" Over and over again. Didn't matter that it wasn't just out unit living there. Few people got caught with people sleeping over (oh no! Consensual sex!) but there was one guy who went on leave and apparently never left his room. He decided he needed to practice his throwing knife skills against the wall, never took out the trash, and apparently smelled like death.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

thetechnoloser posted:

How do you mean? In a "well, if it'd been risk managed properly, they never would have had to tackle a suicide-vest wearing dude to the ground" kind of way?

Most of them from WWII on boil down to "this person ignored pretty much every regulation and piece of doctrine ever written and made a snap decision to individually do the riskiest thing possible in that situation, with excellent outcome." The highest possible military award is pretty much reserved for people that do the opposite of MDMP.

Vasudus posted:

All but one of my guys is getting out, and one of the major pieces of interview advice my boss and I give them is to just leave that bit out, unless you can couch it in terms of team success and budget savings. Otherwise, all you're saying is "I was handed staff and money, did nothing with them, and maintained the status quo." I'm honestly baffled by how ingrained the whole "didn't fail = success" thing is in the army.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Slithery D posted:

The point of MDMP isn't to disseminate information, it's to plan, decide, and synchronize various staff functions.

Correct. And none of that requires a rigid waterfall methodology because of easy information flow.

moodyhank31
Aug 29, 2012

SumYungGui posted:

Now I have the sweetest possible revenge; fat, unshaven civilian getting paid to get a degree and a real job while secure in the knowledge that their reward for being fundamentally broken individuals that cannot function in the real world is higher rank and more time in the Army.

I agree with almost everything here except the part about looking like crap physically after ETS. I'd rather stick it to them by being in better shape and more put together than these uptight suckers. I don't need your drat 11 leadership principles to figure poo poo out.

Case in point: I am completely exempt from PRT due to my score. My very slow walk away from PT formation every morning after accountability is great. I don't need a second of organized PRT to be the best at PT in the company. gently caress 'em.

18 months to go.

Edit:

Vasudus, what interview tips do you have for vets? What has worked when someone talks about their prior military service?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

moodyhank31 posted:

Edit:

Vasudus, what interview tips do you have for vets? What has worked when someone talks about their prior military service?

I'm sure they will be impressed if you walked in like you were going to a board.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
dont forget to beat on the door three times like an rear end in a top hat too.

better study up on useless trivia because if you can memorize the title of various ARs you are loving gold level leadership material right there. Might even be fast tracking to CEO with you rote memorization skills.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
Yell the answers to their questions to show your confidence, even if they are wrong.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Also, remember to say "I don't know the answer to that question at this time, but will give it to you when I find it." and to be loud and confident. Also keep in mind you'll be doing this unironically. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2rgzsO-AMM

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

Vasudus posted:

Would it give you more pleasure to hire them for a role below what they applied for and make them do the most menial bitch work you can get away with? Waste of company resources, but a great boost to your morale!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Crazy Mike posted:

Would it give you more pleasure to hire them for a role below what they applied for and make them do the most menial bitch work you can get away with? Waste of company resources, but a great boost to your morale!

While that would be considerably more amusing than simply giving a thumbs down at the group powwow afterwards, that doesn't really work in my company's setting.

I'll write something up after work and post it. Unless I don't want to later on, in which case get hosed I guess!

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
One of my favorite memories came from being forced to sit through some retarded "class" "taught" by our section's shitbird E6 (who, coincidentally, nobody liked because he was a brown-nosing little robotic weasel gently caress) like two months before I got out. Five minutes in and you could probably see the glaze on my eyes from across the room so of course this perfect Army NCO feels the burning need to snap at me and say something hilarious about how it'll help me ace interviews and not end up homeless or in my parents' basement. I don't remember the exact wording I used but basically take the last 10 or so posts and condense them down into one incredulous short rant about how loving mind-bogglingly stupid the entire board process and the Army's concept of "leadership" as a whole is compared to really anything based in reality, and the sheer contempt I felt for the 99% of the military that didn't involve killing people and blowing poo poo up.

I wasn't really what you would call his favorite person before that, but the little I was at work between ACAP and "clearing" was a special time afterwards.

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013
I always loved being told how I couldn't cut it on the outside by a 30 year old man child with zero life experience outside the army. I'll take your purely baseless conjecture under advisement SGT.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
lol at people giving job interview advice that probably have never been interviewed in their lives

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Job interview advice:

Be friendly

Groom yourself

Dress like you want the job

Speak casually

Don't come in with prepared answers, try to be as off the cuff and politely honest as you can.

Most interviewers are sick of canned answers and platitudes and just want to hire an actual person, not a walking resume

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Booblord Zagats posted:

Most interviewers are sick of canned answers and platitudes and just want to hire an actual person, not a walking resume

This. If there IS a company that dings you on stupid check the box bullshit in the interview, just think, "Do I want to work for the kind of company that gives a flying gently caress about that kinda poo poo?"

You just spent years trying to leave the kind of workplace that loves uniformity, formalities, and :airquote: professionalism :airquote:, don't go looking for jobs that want that dumb poo poo.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My job requires at the very least 3 fit interviews, some people have had 5-6 (I had 4). End result? I like working with everyone, and everyone likes working with me.

Fit interviews are loving murder on people that have bad social skills.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

moodyhank31 posted:

I agree with almost everything here except the part about looking like crap physically after ETS. I'd rather stick it to them by being in better shape and more put together than these uptight suckers. I don't need your drat 11 leadership principles to figure poo poo out.

Case in point: I am completely exempt from PRT due to my score. My very slow walk away from PT formation every morning after accountability is great. I don't need a second of organized PRT to be the best at PT in the company. gently caress 'em.

Yup, prior to the army I was in better shape than I was even 6 months after I joined. In the last few months, I've been on shift work so no morning PT formation for me--I just hit the gym and do some trail running on my own time. I already feel like I'm getting stronger and I know I'm losing some of those extra winter pounds I picked up last year.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

Don't come in with prepared answers, try to be as off the cuff and politely honest as you can.

Our whiteboarding sessions tend to drive this home, since we can quickly figure out what a candidate knows and then basically press them beyond the edge of their technical knowledge. It's how they react once they get there that ultimately decides whether or not they get invited back.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

psydude posted:

It's not even that information is quick and easy to disseminate; it's because there's really almost always one course of action that's clearly better than the others, so all you really end up doing is hashing out details and you don't need at least half the staff sections there (lol at any idiot who thinks the chaplain needs to be at MDMP). In training exercises they give you scenarios that still clearly have one right answer and then bitch if you don't come up with at least 2 throwaway poo poo courses of action just for the sake of doing it.

So you end up with staffs that do the process for the sake of the process because they've been taught the goal is 3+ courses of action, not actually having at least one decent one, and elave their subordinates like 5 minutes to do their planning. Then you also get commanders that want 3 COAs just so they can get briefed on them and feel like they're doing something important by picking the one any idiot can see is the best.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
and after all that, everyone just bumbles through it doing whatever the gently caress they want anyway

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

and after all that, everyone just bumbles through it doing whatever the gently caress they want anyway

Yeah no poo poo because no one is going to read a 30-page operations order to find out they need to drive 35 miles and drop off 5 pallets of bottled water.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Soulex posted:

Also, remember to say "I don't know the answer to that question at this time, but will give it to you when I find it." and to be loud and confident. Also keep in mind you'll be doing this unironically. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2rgzsO-AMM

In real life, the seven-year-old is in the HR department sifting résumés.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Kiryen posted:

Yeah no poo poo because no one is going to read a 30-page operations order to find out they need to drive 35 miles and drop off 5 pallets of bottled water.

Alright great mission Kiryen, gimme three sustains and three improves...

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Wasabi the J posted:

gimme three sustains and three improves

Trigger warning that poo poo, drat.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm at the point where I'll throw out literally the first thing to come to mind. "Everybody wore pants today. Probably should have brought a book. Not enough child slaves in the scenario." I'm participating :downs:

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

That post coulda used more ammo, more hands on training, and maybe some better visual aids

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Wasabi the J posted:

"Good motivation"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I got looked at crazy last AAR I had because I just lost my loving mind with that poo poo.

"Good visual aides, knowledgeable instruct--"

"What qualifies you to say that your instructor was knowledgeable? Do you have a background in this subject? Did you compare your instructors knowledge base against a peer-reviewed reference in the loving material? HOW DO YOU KNOW THEY ARE KNOWLEDGEABLE, PFC SNUFFY?"

I made the rookie mistake of giving a poo poo for half a second and it nearly caused me a loving breakdown.

• Locked thread