Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Literally The Worst posted:

most of this thread reads mangastream's weeb horseshit instead of paying twenty dollars a year for actual official simulpub translations

are you surprised

Oh man, I WISH I only spent 20 quid a year on One Piece, oh what a world that would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
im really interested in the edward weebl stuff. though i figure it'll be one of those "fight for a bit, come to an understanding" i think it'll be cool, his design is delightfully goofy but still a little bit menacing.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

tbp posted:

im really interested in the edward weebl stuff. though i figure it'll be one of those "fight for a bit, come to an understanding" i think it'll be cool, his design is delightfully goofy but still a little bit menacing.

Agreed. I hope someone punches his mum tho

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

Agreed. I hope someone punches his mum tho

lol definitely.

we have so many open threads at the moment

-weebl + mom
-dragon calling all revo leaders
-revolutionarys vs bb pirates
-minkmen
-sanji "only alive"
-big mam threat
-kaidou threat
-whatever happened with the samurai and ninja

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tbp posted:

lol definitely.

we have so many open threads at the moment

-weebl + mom
-dragon calling all revo leaders
-revolutionarys vs bb pirates
-minkmen
-sanji "only alive"
-big mam threat
-kaidou threat
-whatever happened with the samurai and ninja

its really cool most of this got introduced in like 3 chapters and none of it feels even remotely forced

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005
"Oh yes Viz digital sure is nice and official. I guess I can put up with the 'Zolo' thing if the overall quality is better and I get to support the author so let me give them my mon-NOT AVAILABLE IN YOUR COUNTRY"

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Jose posted:

its really cool most of this got introduced in like 3 chapters and none of it feels even remotely forced

yeah, for some reason i am getting the feeling that oda was unsure of how to handle dressrosa, but has this next arc really well plotted and big in scale. hoping its not just an incorrect hunch

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
his name is weevil btw

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also if gin ever returns, i have a feeling it will be as a result of something related to sanjis only alive thing. he hasnt been the focus of an arc since east blue and it would make the most sense to bring gin back then.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Fan of Gin: Every arc will be the best arc to reintroduce Gin

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

anime was right posted:

also if gin ever returns

he won't

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

AnonSpore posted:

Fan of Gin: Every arc will be the best arc to reintroduce Gin

nah, i basically dont think he'll ever come back unless it has something to do w/ sanji at this point for a rematch.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

I hope Gin got fat.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

lowercase16 posted:

I hope Gin got fat.

same

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to read one piece online without buying every volume. Like some sort of monthly fee type thing?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

track day bro! posted:

Is there any way to read one piece online without buying every volume. Like some sort of monthly fee type thing?

shonen jump finally made a web app avalailable in the UK for $25 a year or something but chapters only come out on tuesday here. i think there are ipad apps and stuff but i don't have one

http://shonenjump.viz.com/

unless you meant like the whole of one piece then idk

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

shonen jump finally made a web app avalailable in the UK for $25 a year or something but chapters only come out on tuesday here. i think there are ipad apps and stuff but i don't have one

http://shonenjump.viz.com/

unless you meant like the whole of one piece then idk

Yeah I kinda fancy reading through the whole thing but without all the lovely chapters about Monki D Ruffi, the shonen jump thing is just the latest chapter right? They dont do back issues and poo poo?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

only back issues of weeks you already had a subscription for

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

track day bro! posted:

yes, mangastream.com OP.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

tbp posted:

yes, mangastream.com OP.

is this a bad joke or something

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

only back issues of weeks you already had a subscription for

So the only other way is to buy all 70 something volumes individually on itunes or amazon or summat, smdh.

tbp posted:

yes, mangastream.com OP.

they only have two chapters!!!!!!!!!!!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

anime was right posted:

is this a bad joke or something

I am responding to my good online friend Idiot race about how to read One Piece online.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
look for the color versions online, they have the powermanga translations which are the best outside of the official release.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

track day bro! posted:

Yea there's plenty of sites where you can read it for free. Goon luck.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

track day bro! posted:

So the only other way is to buy all 70 something volumes individually on itunes or amazon or summat, smdh.

i can sort of understand why in the sense that someone might pay £5 and read it all in a month then cancel the subscription until next time they want to read it but its some big time fail

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

track day bro! posted:

There is but it's Japan-only for the time being. It's an app though rather than being an online thing.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
bato.to has all the color scanlations, last I checked.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Jose posted:

i can sort of understand why in the sense that someone might pay £5 and read it all in a month then cancel the subscription until next time they want to read it but its some big time fail

its really distressing because i would have no problem paying a non-tiny amount of money to digitally download the series, but just don't care enough/have enough money/have enough room to buy the whole thing in paper

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Professor Wayne posted:

I really wish you had posted your two solid shelves of printed Japanese comic books in the same post you told someone to move into the 21st century.

i own it in paper because i was working at a comic store and got store credit when we hit goals. it cost me 0 dollars out of pocket to buy those two shelves.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
One reason to buy the volumes is for the SBS sections. I love those fan Q&A.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Death Bot posted:

its really distressing because i would have no problem paying a non-tiny amount of money to digitally download the series, but just don't care enough/have enough money/have enough room to buy the whole thing in paper

sarcasm aside, keep an eye on Viz, they do digital sales every week and it's usually something good once or twice a month. they just did a big naruto one to celebrate that ending, i wouldn't be surprised to see an OP one in the near future

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I like the paper versions for the omnibuses because I like actually holding them instead of using these newfangled electronic devices to carry my collection.

Said devices are pretty great for reading new chapters though.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I like the paper versions because you pay for them once and get to keep them for as long as you want absolutely DRM free.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Is it cool to post fan art?

I twisted my ankle taking out the garbage a couple weeks ago and guilted my friend into drawing this. (She was going to draw another Straw Hat soon anyway, I just stepped up Franky's spot on the schedule.)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Indiana_Krom posted:

I like the paper versions because you pay for them once and get to keep them for as long as you want absolutely DRM free.

i like supporting the digital ones because it supports digital media platforms that bother nerds who get het up about drm

also because i only have so much space, i read a lot of comics, and long running ones take up too much of that limited space

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 16, 2015

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.
Something I didn't realize: the guy doing the Viz translations now is the same guy who did the best online translations way back in the day. I remember going back and reading his stuff and going: "oh man, that sounds so much better."

It makes the One Piece wiki's use of mishmashed scanlator terms all the more maddening. But that's what I get for reading an manga wiki to begin with.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Happy Happyist posted:

Something I didn't realize: the guy doing the Viz translations now is the same guy who did the best online translations way back in the day. I remember going back and reading his stuff and going: "oh man, that sounds so much better."

It makes the One Piece wiki's use of mishmashed scanlator terms all the more maddening. But that's what I get for reading an manga wiki to begin with.

Absolutely agreed. When I was younger I used to read "The Grand Line" obsessively, I was really happy when I found out he became the official One Piece editor. I included this factoid in a recent speech I did for a Japanese Speech Contest because I'm a giant loving nerd.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AnonSpore posted:

I'm posting from the alternate universe where this happened and it's really cool over here guys

A cool world wouldn't feature my input.

Or me.

:(

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Although I subscribe to US Shonen Jump, the recent talk about scanslations reminded me that I had never actually read the Viz translations of the early volumes (and I read the scanslations a long time ago). So I just bought the Viz volume 1, and I'm having a few thoughts as I read it:

• Ben Beckmann tells Luffy that the duties of a pirate include "pillaging" and "hostage-taking." While Luffy does technically do those things (stealing the gold from Skypeia, holding Caesar Clown hostage), it implies to me that the Red Hair Pirates are more ruthless than the Straw Hat Pirates, despite Shanks's reluctance to start pointless fights. Lucky Roux's headshot of a mountain bandit seems to confirm this.
  • Shanks losing his arm to the Lord of the Coast becomes a bit less unimpressive when you consider the implied speed involved; he jumped in from off-panel and yanked Luffy out of harm's way while LotC's jaws were clamping down.
  • I rewatched the first few episodes of the anime recently as well, and I was struck by how much crueler Luffy hitting Coby seems in the anime. It's one example of how things that "work" in a static medium don't when animated. (Another, repeated, example of this is Luffy's fighting style; the anime tends to make it look like he's giving his opponents huge openings they aren't taking)
  • On the other hand, Alvida's feats of strength come across more clearly in the anime.
  • The way Alvida's infobox specifically mentions that she's a female pirate makes me wonder whether Oda originally intended pirates to be almost exclusively male. In fact, after Alvida, we don't meet any female pirates until Nami is revealed to be a member of Arlong's crew; Buggy, Kuro, and Don Krieg all have all-male crews as far I remember.
  • The scene where one of Alvida's crew members doubts the existence of Devil Fruits and Alvida explains them is anime-only.
  • Coby says that Luffy "must have eaten the fruit of the Gum-Gum tree." This is rather odd in light of what we learn about Devil Fruits in the Punk Hazard arc. I'm not sure if it was loose translation or Oda originally conceiving of Devil Fruits as growing on trees and then retconning it. It doesn't create a plot hole, since it makes sense that Coby would have no real knowledge of Devil Fruits, but I doubt Oda actually intended Coby to be mistaken at the time.
  • The Viz translation has Rika saying that Zoro saved her from "a bunch of" Helmeppo's dogs, although the art shows only one dog. Then in the very next panel, Luffy refers to Zoro wounding '"that guy's dog," singular, which Rika confirms. Looks like the translators (not Stephen at this point, but Andy Nakatani and Lance Caselman) weren't thinking things through and got tripped up by the Japanese language's lack of marked plurals.
  • Zoro's view that being a great swordsman has "nothing to do with being a boy or a girl" is odd in light of some things he says and does later (being shocked when Enel zaps Robin because she's a woman, refusing to fight seriously against Monet). You could argue that it's different because Robin and Monet don't use swords, but neither does Miss Monday, and Zoro had no problem fighting her.
  • Kuina being lethally off-panelled by a flight of stairs gets mentioned a fair amount, but I'd forgotten that Zoro (whom Kuina beat every time) was already winning against trained adults at that point. Kuina's father then declares that "humans are fragile things," clearly an absurd statement in OPverse. To be fair, this was early in the manga, before Oda had established what "normal" humans could survive.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
re: Zoro thoughts

I took Zoro's treatment of Monet to be about how little he thought of her fighting capabilities regardless of her sex. Like if Tashigi could actually catch up to Zoro in some fashion he'd be as happy as anyone else at the prospect of the fight.

Kuina's father's words struck me as what a person who'd never been to the Grand Line would say.