Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

quote:

Has anyone written a worthwhile history of SJ? Nobody knows where it came from – it’s usually either blamed on Tumblr or the Frankfurt School, when it clearly can’t be either, because it was around before Tumblr and the Frankfurt School was not down with mass-culture celebrity-worship.

I'm at a complete loss for words here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

From "drapetomania" all the way to today, it seems like reactionaries seem oblivious to the fact that subordinated people don't like being subordinated and are always looking for a way to cut their overlords down to size.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Heresiarch posted:

Surely Moldbug has written long tedious dubious genealogies of this.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

I have never talked with a woman before posted:

Because the 8 man basically does not care which of these women he fucks–his expected utility is calculation is about the same for each–he has hosed them all. And because his purely sexual market value will not really even begin to decline until his mid 30s, it makes no sense for him to be commitment-minded until that point. And so, unless he’s looking for much more from his partners than sex (mostly, he isn’t–that’s part of why he’s an 8), he’s banging out dozens or hundreds of women until he’s 35-40, and then and only then grabbing his highest value prospect.

"Men are literally just genitals. That's all they are. Huge schlongs in search of ever more vaginas. They possess no qualities beyond their dongs (except for properly masculine ambition at work. gently caress bitches get money!). They are frat boys until they turn 40, when they spontaneously develop emotional needs and seek a long term partner. If every man were attractive, no man would ever experience emotional attachment before 40. All men dream of being unfeeling sex-maximizing machines."

Also, where do gay men fit in all this? Dan Savage's partner, Terry, was 27 when he adopted a kid with him. They both wanted a family. Also, no offense to Dan, but Terry is MUCH hotter than he is. Surely, under that reactionary's schema, an attractive, sex-crazed man like Terry would keep churning indiscriminately through partners with zero commitment until he's 40?

Curvature of Earth has a new favorite as of 03:11 on Oct 15, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Presumably gay men will constantly seek more and more sex due to the interface of their inherent masculine sex-maximizing functions, producing in time a total gay singularity - a wad of sexual intercourse where the dongs and spurt is so dense, so firmly and throbbingly packed, that an event horizon forms in order to protect the rest of the universe from such unfettered gayness. The Singaylarity, if you will.

Lesbians are not worthy of consideration as they are female hew-mons.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

gently caress just that opener is great:

quote:

One of my favorite genres of garbage journalism is clickbait confessional pieces written by feminist singletons about their own dating lives, sex lives, experiences with “sexual harassment”, vaginas, etc. You know, women poo poo (“shitwriting”).

"It's poo poo because it's not aimed at me personally as a target market and I somehow fail to realize this! poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo!"

Heresiarch posted:

Aahahah yeah social justice just sort of materialized out of the aether like some lovecraftian beast from beyond the veil only instead of cultists worshipping it with words from before time it's tumblr.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Nessus posted:

Presumably gay men will constantly seek more and more sex due to the interface of their inherent masculine sex-maximizing functions, producing in time a total gay singularity - a wad of sexual intercourse where the dongs and spurt is so dense, so firmly and throbbingly packed, that an event horizon forms in order to protect the rest of the universe from such unfettered gayness. The Singaylarity, if you will.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It's social justice warrior specifically because social justice is the tag Tumblr users post lefty stuff on. That's how small and sad these wannabe brown shirts' world is.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

Count Chocula posted:

I don't agree with any NrX political views but like the Futurists I long for an art that glorifies the works of humanity and our inginuity. I was in a poetry workshop that visited a nuclear research facility and I was the only one uplifted by the beautiful machines on display instead of writing horrified Luddite screeds. But I'm sure art that glorifies steel and glass and science already exists; most art does. And I'm sure ' NrX art' will be terrible because nerds have no sense of aesthetics. But i appreciate the idea.
I can sympathize. I love technology to the point that I actually feel calm and relaxed from watching assembly lines, but the far right's fetishization of science and machinery, along with the distaste for it from much of the left, is enough to legitimately make me feel uncomfortable with myself for it.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Woolie Wool posted:

Exploring a lifeless planet outside of the habitable zone of the solar system and building a few tiny domes on it to house our delicate meat sacks is exactly the same thing "discovering" a continent with 75 million people on it and killing almost all of them. Stop this horrific pillage of nothing from nobody. I mean trying to live on Mars permanently is indeed pretty dumb, but evil? :confused:

E: it gets even better. The Spanish destroyed their own economy and sank their own dreams of global empire by mismanaging their resource extraction regime on purpose, because by "overturning the economy" would hurt the peasants. Sticking it to the poors was totally worth ruining the future of the empire and giving the hated Protestants of England the chance to unseat them as the preeminent world power and spend the next 400 years defaming and humiliating them. Yeah, sure.

You're taking it too literally. It's Sci-Fi Leftism, like China Mieville or Phil Sandifer and Jack Graham's discursive Doctor Who reviews or the spontaneous sci-fi/horror stories about Obama and Libertarians that used to appear in LF and GBS. The point for me is the beauty of the language and the strange nature of the ideas. CAOS sounds like something from a Pynchon novel.

If NRX has value it's as the same thing for the Right.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Note: NRX does not, in fact, have any value whatsoever.

Except as comedy for us to laugh at because they're idiots.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Curvature of Earth posted:

"Men are literally just genitals. That's all they are. Huge schlongs in search of ever more vaginas. They possess no qualities beyond their dongs (except for properly masculine ambition at work. gently caress bitches get money!). They are frat boys until they turn 40, when they spontaneously develop emotional needs and seek a long term partner. If every man were attractive, no man would ever experience emotional attachment before 40. All men dream of being unfeeling sex-maximizing machines."

I like how the MRAs have just co-opted the most radical (or, dare I say it, crazy) positions taken by feminists over the course of history and turned them right around. All men are rapists, so making rape illegal is a direct attack against men.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Polybius91 posted:

I can sympathize. I love technology to the point that I actually feel calm and relaxed from watching assembly lines, but the far right's fetishization of science and machinery, along with the distaste for it from much of the left, is enough to legitimately make me feel uncomfortable with myself for it.

It's worth noting that the right doesn't bother to understand what they're fetishizing (which tbf is kind of the definition of fetishes). If you understand why an assembly line is cool, and the problems it's going to introduce then there isn't anything wrong with being entranced by one.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Polybius91 posted:

Well there are also plenty of fascists who believe high technology is effeminate and decadent and we should should be running around as barbarians in the frostbitten Northern woods swinging hard, erect swords around.

Count Chocula posted:

You're taking it too literally. It's Sci-Fi Leftism, like China Mieville or Phil Sandifer and Jack Graham's discursive Doctor Who reviews or the spontaneous sci-fi/horror stories about Obama and Libertarians that used to appear in LF and GBS. The point for me is the beauty of the language and the strange nature of the ideas. CAOS sounds like something from a Pynchon novel.

If NRX has value it's as the same thing for the Right.

I didn't see any beauty in it. It was mawkish and histrionic.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 14:54 on Oct 15, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Less Wrong is hilariously confused by China Mieville, as they cannot understand how someone can be a sci-fi and fantasy writer, and thus, Good People, and also a Marxist, and thus, Bad People.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://twitter.com/ClarkHat/status/587611119201705984 relevant

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I also recall him being used as an example for why giving Vox Day a Hugo was a good idea.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Count Chocula posted:

I like TNI's prose and that article is a nice corrective to the massive Elon Musk fellatio about how he Will settle Mars that I just read: http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/08/how-and-why-spacex-will-colonize-mars.html

I don't agree with any NrX political views but like the Futurists I long for an art that glorifies the works of humanity and our inginuity. I was in a poetry workshop that visited a nuclear research facility and I was the only one uplifted by the beautiful machines on display instead of writing horrified Luddite screeds. But I'm sure art that glorifies steel and glass and science already exists; most art does. And I'm sure ' NrX art' will be terrible because nerds have no sense of aesthetics. But i appreciate the idea.

Futurism is heavily tied up with fascism and many early futurists were straight up Italian fascists.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Futurism is heavily tied up with fascism and many early futurists were straight up Italian fascists.

Right up until they went to WWI, where their obsession with ACTION and VIOLENCE and POWER contributed to their dumb asses dying horribly.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Yeah, it's pretty great when reality confronts you that bluntly with the consequences of your beliefs.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
They had the strength of their convictions, by God, which is more than you can say for their idealogical descendents.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

my eyes are bleeding. people who read 10,000 history books and none relating to anything they want to pontificate upon.

Heresiarch posted:

quote:

Has anyone written a worthwhile history of SJ? Nobody knows where it came from – it’s usually either blamed on Tumblr or the Frankfurt School, when it clearly can’t be either, because it was around before Tumblr and the Frankfurt School was not down with mass-culture celebrity-worship.

If I were being generous I'd assume he knows very well that the term "social justice" was coined by a Jesuit in the 1840s and the history since is pretty well documented (tl;dr left wing of Catholicism), and assume he meant the Tumblr version. Which is in fact barely documented outside reactionaries ranting that someone dared call them shitheads.

So far this is the best article available and we just started it. I also asked the question here why sociologists haven't written up Tumblr SJW given how rabid they were back in my day. Yet again RW does NRx's research for it, tch!

Count Chocula posted:

Phil Sandifer's working on something relevant to our interests and I have every expectation it'll be a delight if/when it emerges. (Hi Phil!)

Peztopiary posted:

It's worth noting that the right doesn't bother to understand what they're fetishizing (which tbf is kind of the definition of fetishes). If you understand why an assembly line is cool, and the problems it's going to introduce then there isn't anything wrong with being entranced by one.

I've noted before in this thread that until libertarians coopted the brand several years ago (this was a thing that particular people actually did), transhumanism used to have a lot more technoprogressives in it, who thought the correct use was to advance all of humanity and not just the white male nerds. Of course they were white male nerds themselves, but at least they didn't react in horror to news of other humans existing.

divabot has a new favorite as of 17:35 on Oct 15, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Back in the 90s the Internet--or "cyberspace"--was by virtue of its anonymity and vastness and low bar to entry supposed to enable a loss or shifting of identity that would empower and uplift everyone as all users would be freed from the limitations of embodiment. This would supposedly allow total empathy as we might all be free to imagine ourselves to be someone else.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

And in reality we just use it to project what we want with absolutely no filter other than a desire not to say garbage.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

I've noted before in this thread that until libertarians coopted the brand several years ago (this was a thing that particular people actually did), transhumanism used to have a lot more technoprogressives in it, who thought the correct use was to advance all of humanity and not just the white male nerds. Of course they were white male nerds themselves, but at least they didn't react in horror to news of other humans existing.

The narrative is that social outcasts create new social spaces full of free speech and imagination, and then Big Mean Farmer Progressivism bulldozes it to build a Gulag Farm.

This is kind of the narrative of all internet far-right people, not just NRx though. This is why Voat, 8chan, and the various white supremacist SA spinoffs have been created.

Freaks Create, Progs Occupy. The fact that this doesn't fit reality mostly escapes them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Annointed posted:

And in reality we just use it to project what we want with absolutely no filter other than a desire not to say garbage.
I actually don't think this is quite the case, though it's certainly part of the emergent package. It's like how someone will have two hundred completely civil and pleasant interactions with other human beings in the course of taking the train to work, eating lunch, and inhabiting their office for eight hours a day, but they remember the guy who glared at them in the train station and the time their boss pounded a desk and go "Wow, the world really is ultimately a hostile place."

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

divabot posted:

my eyes are bleeding. people who read 10,000 history books and none relating to anything they want to pontificate upon.

Probably because they stick exceedingly clingily to the top down/great man theory of history and therefore most of their books they actually trust either predate organized feminism or come from other reactionaries.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

most of their books they actually trust either predate organized feminism or come from other reactionaries.

On the contrary, you can find plenty of hagiographies of "great men" pumped out by hacks these days. For every conservative stepping down in a cloud of scandal or gently caress-up of a military leader there's a hack willing to spend a couple hundred pages sucking their dicks.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

http://severnayazemlya.tumblr.com/post/131234271658/bloodandhedonism-the-fact-that-current
http://severnayazemlya.tumblr.com/post/131209872123/europe-failed-in-africa-other-places-arguable

What a fount of A++ academic discussion NRx tumblr is.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Merdifex posted:

shades of skeleton

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I have a low IQ, someone needs to explain to me what rocking awesome meta-level insights I'm missing here.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That's actually the first real Manifest Destiny argument I've ever seen come out of a persons mouth.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I have a low IQ, someone needs to explain to me what rocking awesome meta-level insights I'm missing here.

Well, European colonialism in Africa was perfectly humane and benevolent, Leopold's Congo didn't exist, there was no Herero genocide, etc. etc. Also, apparently the GOP is communist.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Poetry must be set to music or else it's degenerate http://ask.fm/a/ag9f7d33

I guess it's a less tired sentiment than rap not being music

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Poetry must be set to music or else it's degenerate http://ask.fm/a/ag9f7d33

I guess it's a less tired sentiment than rap not being music

If a book's prose incorporates any elements of poetry then it ceases to be a book and becomes bad music.

Mercifully he only reads terrible books, so that problem's never come up.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Less Wrong is hilariously confused by China Mieville, as they cannot understand how someone can be a sci-fi and fantasy writer, and thus, Good People, and also a Marxist, and thus, Bad People.

I wonder what they think of Jack Vance or Iain Banks.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Hey, from several pages back, what's the deal with the schizophrenic lizardperson/caveman ranting with heroic fascistic neanderthals being the ideal?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I wonder what they think of Jack Vance or Iain Banks.

I'm pretty sure Vance wasn't a Marxist; I had the impression he was fairly conservative. He signed a statement in support of the Vietnam War, IIRC.

I don't think he was as conservative as some of his weirder right-wing fans, including Paul Rhoads, the Editor-in-Chief of the Vance Integral Edition project, made/make him out to be, though.

I might actually post some stuff about Paul Rhoads in this thread some time. He's not actually NRx, but neither is most of the stuff discussed in this thread.

Silver2195 has a new favorite as of 06:55 on Oct 16, 2015

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Last time this came up someone posted a picture of China looking insanely loving fine and exactly like the dude all these sad, pasty critters wish they were, and now I can't find it. Woe.

Oh well, here's a different one of him looking insanely loving fine

hi there comrade :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Would let him clean my kitchen and bathroom.

Silver2195 posted:

I don't think he was as conservative as some of his weirder right-wing fans, including Paul Rhoads, the Editor-in-Chief of the Vance Integral Edition project, made/make him out to be, though.

Vance is nowhere near a socialist, I just had a brainfart. I was actually thinking of Moorcock. Especially after his one-man crusade against A World Called Gor.

Pener Kropoopkin has a new favorite as of 10:21 on Oct 16, 2015