Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gonz posted:

It's got a sweet opening credit sequence, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fV5WNudPPU

At 12 seconds in, is that supposed to be Los Alamos? I can't get it oriented in my head right to match anything I know from the town, but it's easy enough to find maps of the place from 1945 to use.

It's a silly thing to nitpick, I know, but if they set a show in your hometown I bet you'd do the same thing.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I don't because any show that takes place in Boston is filmed in a different country so :shrug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fetus Tree posted:

I don't because any show that takes place in Boston is filmed in a different country so :shrug:

Boston Legal, Boston Public.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

zoux posted:

Boston Legal, Boston Public.

I'm glad you could find two, next time if it makes that part in your brain that twitches feel better I'll try to account for the extreme minority of cases.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0402711/locations

Although if thats accurate then lol

E: although with boston public, almost a third of the list is in boston so thats progress
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0247081/locations

Fetus Tree fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 15, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fetus Tree posted:

I'm glad you could find two, next time if it makes that part in your brain that twitches feel better I'll try to account for the extreme minority of cases.

That season of homeland where the guy ended up getting shot in the boat was pretty good.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

That season of homeland where the guy ended up getting shot in the boat was pretty good.

I could never get into that show to be honest which is a shame because the cast seemed pretty dece

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shows that take place in Boston that people can name, an exhaustive list:

Boston Legal
Boston Public
Fringe

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fast and the Furious: Boston Drift.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Boston Legal
Boston Public
Fringe

rizzoli and isles
ally mcbeal
being human
cheers
falling skies
leverage

there has to be more, and this excludes movies. nice try tho!

E: forgot The Practice

E2: I looked it up and here are some that i missed (ill only mention ones ive ever heard of)

Sabrina the Teenage witch
Crossing Jordan
Boston Common

Lol, Spenser: For Hire which I've heard of but have no idea wtf its about

There were a few more that seemed to have relatively decent runs but I think my point stands

Fetus Tree fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 15, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aphrodite posted:

Boston Legal
Boston Public
Fringe

I've never seen an episode of it but I know Cheers was too.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

nah thats the santa clause, jingle all the way was arnold and sinbad fighting over a iron man toy

You forgot the part where Arnold becomes the iron man toy at the end and all the while Phil Hartman is trying to gently caress his wife.

Jingle All the Way is fantastic.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Rewatching Band Of Brothers. The CGI wasn't good when it first aired, and 14 years later it is poor enough to be distracting. Still one of the best miniseries tho.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Bruceski posted:

At 12 seconds in, is that supposed to be Los Alamos?

It most certainly is. A good 3/4ths of the show takes place in the neighborhood the government built for the workers and scientists.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

James Woods Fan posted:

Rewatching Band Of Brothers. The CGI wasn't good when it first aired, and 14 years later it is poor enough to be distracting. Still one of the best miniseries tho.
I know there was CGI but really?

I have the DVDs so maybe it just comes out worse on blu-rays?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The only CGI I remember was during the initial parachute drop scene and yeah that looked really bad at the time as well. When the camera zooms back and you see hundreds and planes and boats it looks really cartoony.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Sober posted:

I know there was CGI but really?

I have the DVDs so maybe it just comes out worse on blu-rays?

The higher definition does the FX no favors. The beginning of episode 2 in particular looks really bad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fetus Tree posted:

rizzoli and isles
ally mcbeal
being human
cheers
falling skies
leverage

there has to be more, and this excludes movies. nice try tho!

E: forgot The Practice

E2: I looked it up and here are some that i missed (ill only mention ones ive ever heard of)

Sabrina the Teenage witch
Crossing Jordan
Boston Common

Lol, Spenser: For Hire which I've heard of but have no idea wtf its about

There were a few more that seemed to have relatively decent runs but I think my point stands

I don't think nerding out quite contradicts my point like you think it does.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Nerding out would be mentioning that as most of television takes place in the head of Tommy Westphall, it's faster to name shows that don't take place in Boston.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

Boston Legal
Boston Public
Fringe

There's a show coming up next season about female cops in Boston in the 70's!

Though it's being shot in Lynn, which makes sense if your show takes place in grimy 70's Boston because Lynn is a shithole.

It's actually much more common for Boston and the outlaying area to double for other areas for film and TV these days. The new Ghostbusters was shot there even though it takes place in NYC and Emmy darling Mildred Pierce was shot in the North Shore, doubling for rural Maine (lol).

The Ted movies are shot and take place in Boston though, so we got that going for us.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

After a bad Big Bang Theory side plot on Monday, I was wondering - except for Always Sunny, has any other show ever pulled off the 'we should form a band!' idea out of the blue without it totally sucking? It's always such a groaner.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Saved by the Bell did a good band episode. Zach Attack was the best.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I was wondering - except for Always Sunny, has any other show ever pulled off the 'we should form a band!' idea out of the blue without it totally sucking? It's always such a groaner.

Have any other shows actually done a "we should form a band" idea? Is this a literal thing or a trope I'm not aware of?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NBC is advertising Undateable as "Friday's most tweeted about show."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

God drat Becomers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Anyone tweeting about that show on Friday nights can probably relate.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

zoux posted:

God drat Becomers.

Nope we're not making this a thing

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

EL BROMANCE posted:

After a bad Big Bang Theory side plot on Monday, I was wondering - except for Always Sunny, has any other show ever pulled off the 'we should form a band!' idea out of the blue without it totally sucking? It's always such a groaner.

That song was so god damned terrible

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Just watched the new Fargo premiere. Amazing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gonz posted:

It most certainly is. A good 3/4ths of the show takes place in the neighborhood the government built for the workers and scientists.

Yeah, I meant that the map doesn't match up with any part of Los Alamos in my head no matter how I try to adjust rotation/scale. Since maps of the place are pretty easy to find I was trying to figure out if I've got my perspective wrong or they just didn't bother for something that would be on-screen for a couple of seconds that only pedants and locals would try to make fit. I could have been clearer in my comment.

Edit: my brother figured it out. I was trying to orient the thing around the townsite (Fuller Lodge/Ashley Pond pond area, for anyone else who knows LA) when it's actually a map of the Laboratory proper. https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8718864,-106.317567,1464m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en Now I can use that part of my brain for better things.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 16, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The Duke posted:

That song was so god damned terrible

I'm not sure what you were expecting from the show when the commercial featured ten painful seconds of the song along with a lovely awkward "joke" about the Ark of the Covenant, which was more of that show than I ever care to see.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

"Watching commercials" Pft :smugdog:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The writers for Gotham either have balls of steel or severe brain damage.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

precision posted:

whynotboth.jpg

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

When is Lucifer supposed to start?

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

When is Lucifer supposed to start?

Could have sworn it was mid-season, but I can't find anything to confirm.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

precision posted:

What'd they do now?

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I got shot in the boat once. I couldn't sit for a week.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

xcore posted:

Have any other shows actually done a "we should form a band" idea? Is this a literal thing or a trope I'm not aware of?

Happy Days

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

xcore posted:

Venture Bros. "Shallow Gravy" Also, Home Movie's "Freaky! Outie!" or whatever song was kind of funny too. But that big bang episode was pretty bad.

I really liked the pilot for Crazy Ex Girlfriend, and I REALLY hate it when tv shows break into song. Mostly because it is almost always cringe-worthily bad. Its weird to have an hour long comedy though right? Even with the 2 or 3 songs they'll probably do per episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

xcore posted:

It's annoying me I can't think of good examples when I've seen it happen a bunch of times.

• Locked thread