Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Isn't that just the Septim crest?

It is, and it's a damaged version (there's a bit missing from the dragon's wing on the lower left). It's also missing the amulet of kings on the top which completes the lozenge.

If you compare the Morrowind box art with the Skyrim box art, you can see the differences. (Ignore the triune triangle with the daedric ASV glyphs on the Morrowind box).

It's symbolic of course: the empire itself is damaged and the Amulet of Kings was lost at the end of TES4. But you can still see the outlines of where the bit of wing and amulet should have been. I think the paint on the shield should be complete, at least not have the damage on the wing because why would you paint it that way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Well the game has always to me implied that the Dragonborn is mantling Tiber Septim, especially a Stormcloak-aligned Dragonborn, and thus is probably fated to restore or change the fate of the empire one day. Rebels and usurpers have commonly used defaced or altered versions of their lords' arms with symbolic meanings. The broken Septim crest, in stark black and white, is also on the cover of the Book of the Dragonborn, which is one of the first things the player character sees in the game (it's inside the Helgen keep, you can't miss it). If you want to be even more :spergin: about it, it would also probably be seditious or even treasonous to display these arms in Imperial territory since you're saying you as a Dragonborn have the right to the Septim dynasty's arms, not the Mede dynasty (and by implication you're also saying the rulership of the Medes is illegitimate).

flatluigi posted:

It's off-center.

Yeah that's my bad, my preferred image editor is PhotoImpact but it doesn't support DDS and its alpha channel support is terrible, so I had to fumble my way through doing this in Photoshop 7.0, which is an editor I don't really understand and am terrible with. If I had used PhotoImpact I could have just right-clicked on the crest and clicked on "Center Both", but I don't know how to Photoshop. :saddowns:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 15, 2015

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

(and by implication you're also saying the rulership of the Medes is illegitimate).

I don't see anything wrong with that :colbert:

sic semper tyrannis

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Excelzior posted:

I don't see anything wrong with that :colbert:

sic semper tyrannis

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Yeah I'm just saying that the damaged imperial dragon could be appropriated by an ambitious and ballsy Dragonborn to essentially declare himself to be the Talosine.

(Death to the false empire, hail mighty Talos)

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Cat Mattress posted:

It is, and it's a damaged version (there's a bit missing from the dragon's wing on the lower left). It's also missing the amulet of kings on the top which completes the lozenge.

If you compare the Morrowind box art with the Skyrim box art, you can see the differences. (Ignore the triune triangle with the daedric ASV glyphs on the Morrowind box).

It's symbolic of course: the empire itself is damaged and the Amulet of Kings was lost at the end of TES4. But you can still see the outlines of where the bit of wing and amulet should have been. I think the paint on the shield should be complete, at least not have the damage on the wing because why would you paint it that way?

Apparently during the design of Skyrim they had meant for it to be a plot point that it had become impossible to recreate the complete emblem in any craft or art, and that the Thalmor were using the phenomenon to discredit the legitimacy of the Mede dynasty. They dropped that on any obvious level, but the broken emblem lived on.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Yeah I'm just saying that the damaged imperial dragon could be appropriated by an ambitious and ballsy Dragonborn to essentially declare himself to be the Talosine.

(Death to the false empire, hail mighty Talos)
also the Civil War outcome could potentially be resolved by the whole enantiomorph thing

General Tullius (Talos) = King
Ulfric Stormcloak (Stormcrown) = Rebel
Dragonborn = the other one

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Every god is every different kind of god at the same time.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Looking up "enantiomorph" got me a bunch of Michael Kirkbride nonsense, what drugs do I need to parse this poo poo?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Woolie Wool posted:

Looking up "enantiomorph" got me a bunch of Michael Kirkbride nonsense, what drugs do I need to parse this poo poo?

A) All of the drugs

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

Every god is every different kind of god at the same time.
The Elder Scrolls VI: Glorantha

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

It's one of several methods of achieving godhood in the TES universe. You're basically recreating the conflict when the gods realized Lorkhan was scamming them and they ripped out his heart. Other methods include pretending you're a specific god until you might as well be them, understanding the nature of the universe but refusing to be destroyed by said understanding, or stealing some juice from the corpse of a god.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Are there crash logs anywhere? I keep getting CTDs on loading screens and if there was an easy way to determine which mod is doing it, that would be good. I found some SKSE logs but they weren't helpful. Suppose I should mention my setup is a little disjointed - I have some mods through Steam Workshop, and some done manually, about a dozen total. Tried using Mod Organizer to take care of the load order, but apparently it has no effect on Workshop/manual mods? Should I just re-install and do everything through MO?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Most pertinent thing is that it's what Tiber Septim did

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

It's one of several methods of achieving godhood in the TES universe. You're basically recreating the conflict when the gods realized Lorkhan was scamming them and they ripped out his heart. Other methods include pretending you're a specific god until you might as well be them, understanding the nature of the universe but refusing to be destroyed by said understanding, or stealing some juice from the corpse of a god.

I kind of wish Skyrim had made the possibility of the player mantling Talos explicit. It's already kind of implied, especially when the Greybeards address him as Ysmir, but being able to actually become the Talosine in-game and gently caress over the plans of the Medes, Ulfric Stormcloak, and the Thalmor all at the same time would be amazing.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The Elder Scrolls VI: Funtymes in Coldharbor

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Most pertinent thing is that it's what Tiber Septim did

I'm consulting the wikis on this and it's hurting my head. Talos is Tiber Septim is Wulfharth is Zurin Arctus is Hjalti Early-Beard is none of these is all of them. He survived an assassination attempt that never happened, his throat was slit by the assassin or himself, he's a bunch of different people merged into one body or he's just one guy, he's a Breton Imperial Nordic Redguard, he is Ysmir like many other Dragonborn before him but Ysmir was his advisor, which one of these loving stories is true already goddamn it, it was only 400 years before Oblivion, that wasn't that loving long ago.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Woolie Wool posted:

I'm consulting the wikis on this and it's hurting my head. Talos is Tiber Septim is Wulfharth is Zurin Arctus is Hjalti Early-Beard is none of these is all of them. He survived an assassination attempt that never happened, his throat was slit by the assassin or himself, he's a bunch of different people merged into one body or he's just one guy, he's a Breton Imperial Nordic Redguard, he is Ysmir like many other Dragonborn before him but Ysmir was his advisor, which one of these loving stories is true already goddamn it, it was only 400 years before Oblivion, that wasn't that loving long ago.

All of them :catdrugs:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

How much of this is deliberate contradiction/obfuscation and how much of it is a combination of their inability to keep their own stories straight from game to game and their unwillingness to just openly retcon something? They could have just said "we changed our minds about Cyrodiil, we decided it's like this now" instead of the whole story about Talos altering history with a shout because his soldiers hated jungles. I mean, I could accept this in things like The Thirty-Six Lessons of Vivec because it's in-character for Vivec to deliberately try to make no sense, but this sort of thing has gone completely out of control.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Woolie Wool posted:

Clearly you never played Daggerfall and then read The Warp in the West in later games. :colbert:

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
Elder Scrolls lore is a loving nightmare. I don't even try to get into it. I'd rather just enjoy the fun fantasy games with their huge mod libraries, hoping against hope that Bethesda finally learn how to write good stories and characters, or license their engine for people to make TES clones with better writing in universes with lore that actually makes sense.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Praetorian Mage posted:

Elder Scrolls lore is a loving nightmare. I don't even try to get into it. I'd rather just enjoy the fun fantasy games with their huge mod libraries, hoping against hope that Bethesda finally learn how to write good stories and characters, or license their engine for people to make TES clones with better writing in universes with lore that actually makes sense.

Man this conversation has really shed some light on the designation "lore friendly" huh.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

i am tim! posted:

Apparently during the design of Skyrim they had meant for it to be a plot point that it had become impossible to recreate the complete emblem in any craft or art, and that the Thalmor were using the phenomenon to discredit the legitimacy of the Mede dynasty. They dropped that on any obvious level, but the broken emblem lived on.

so like ... nobody has pens? because all you gotta do is draw a couple extra squiggles and a box.

I'm glad they dropped that.

alternate version of this joke: So it's confirmed that calipers are required to recreate a complete emblem?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Woolie Wool posted:

I kind of wish Skyrim had made the possibility of the player mantling Talos explicit. It's already kind of implied, especially when the Greybeards address him as Ysmir, but being able to actually become the Talosine in-game and gently caress over the plans of the Medes, Ulfric Stormcloak, and the Thalmor all at the same time would be amazing.

You forgot the most important reason this should be in the game: going up to Heimskr, Fus Ro Dahing him and adding, "YOU DISPLEASE ME, UNWORTHY SERVANT."

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

To support the mantling theory, a ghost from ye olden times mistakes you for Hjalti (one aspect of Talos or whatever) when you sleep in the same bed Hjalti did (from this quest).

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Mazz posted:

No joke have more time in the Creation Kit then I do in the game.

Also, since I kind of fell off the planet with my house mod, I plan on finishing it up and hosting it this week sometime, if anyone was still curious/using it.

Just checking to see if any more came about on this. I've just got back into the game and the house looks cool.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

SystemLogoff posted:

Just checking to see if any more came about on this. I've just got back into the game and the house looks cool.

I ended up away from my desktop more than I expected this last week, so I didn't get to final test it or anything quite yet. I'll see if I can get it done and on the Nexus this weekend. Always takes longer then I hope because there's always something new to fix as I get to the end, like the sorting system formlists and such.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 16, 2015

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Eric the Mauve posted:

You forgot the most important reason this should be in the game: going up to Heimskr, recruiting him into your party, and having him thunder praise for Talos as he crushes skulls

:colbert:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Ynglaur posted:

Clearly you never played Daggerfall and then read The Warp in the West in later games. :colbert:
Not to mention, a single province in Daggerfall is multiple times larger than all of Tamriel in later games. They really just make things up as they go.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Nerd of Prey liked this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGV3hB8dYDU

So I figure'd upload it so other people could have fun with it, if they wished. Grab it here.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

How much of this is deliberate contradiction/obfuscation and how much of it is a combination of their inability to keep their own stories straight from game to game and their unwillingness to just openly retcon something? They could have just said "we changed our minds about Cyrodiil, we decided it's like this now" instead of the whole story about Talos altering history with a shout because his soldiers hated jungles. I mean, I could accept this in things like The Thirty-Six Lessons of Vivec because it's in-character for Vivec to deliberately try to make no sense, but this sort of thing has gone completely out of control.
A lot of both and a lot of the latter, really, but it's made explicit (well, as explicit as TES gets) that when these things happen they retroactively change history. When Talos became a god, history warped so that he had always been a god. Vivec tells you as much (regarding himself) in Morrowind dialogue, I think. It's a fairly common fantasy trope so I find it easy enough to swallow as batshit TES lore goes.

The Cyrodiil thing is just straight loving stupid though. Hey, it’s Oblivion.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ofecks posted:

Are there crash logs anywhere? I keep getting CTDs on loading screens and if there was an easy way to determine which mod is doing it, that would be good. I found some SKSE logs but they weren't helpful. Suppose I should mention my setup is a little disjointed - I have some mods through Steam Workshop, and some done manually, about a dozen total. Tried using Mod Organizer to take care of the load order, but apparently it has no effect on Workshop/manual mods? Should I just re-install and do everything through MO?
Skyrim has no crash logs. The SKSE logs only log stuff related to SKSE itself and plugins. And the papyrus logs only log data about the scripts that are running and in the unlikely event a script is the direct cause of a crash, the game will probably have crashed before relevant data got logged.
You could try posting your loadorder and maybe someone will spot something. You could also try enabling the SKSE memory tweak if you haven't done so already.
Mod Organizer handles workshop mods just fine. MO will categorize them as non-MO because they're in the Data folder. If you want to keep your Data folder nice and pristine, you can move the workshop mod's plugin and bsa archive to their own separate folder in your MO mod directory. Just be sure to unsubscribe to the mod afterwards so the Steam Launcher doesn't redownload it.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'm at the point of starting a Skyrim cycle:

My last attempt failed at the point of downloading mods, crashing, trying to fix it, crashing, and giving up. So I'm pretty sure it's all broken.

How do I start again - what do I need to uninstall/delete/nuke from orbit, to be in a position to start again with mods that don't crash 5 minutes in?

I've never completed the game, despite playing for 135 hours and never finishing any of the major quest lines.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 16, 2015

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Chaltab posted:

Not to mention, a single province in Daggerfall is multiple times larger than all of Tamriel in later games. They really just make things up as they go.

I dream of Bethesda using that design again. I realize world space generated by rand() can feel generic, but it was a brilliant way to build a world at an authentic-feeling scale.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Gonna give another asking again: Any way to solve this?

quote:

java.lang.Exception:_00DwemerArmorCrown has an invalid keyword reference: AF0131Update.esm. The Patch will fail. Clean it in tes5edit and rerun the patcher.

I have other Skyproc mods (ASIS, Automatic Variants, DSR) and they patch fine.

(EDIT: The _00DwemerArmorCrown is from Immersive Creatures, if that helps).

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 16, 2015

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Started to read some of the lore on TES wiki... I did not realize it was so complex and developed.

Happy Fun Gamer
Oct 16, 2015

Comstar posted:

I'm at the point of starting a Skyrim cycle:

My last attempt failed at the point of downloading mods, crashing, trying to fix it, crashing, and giving up. So I'm pretty sure it's all broken.

How do I start again - what do I need to uninstall/delete/nuke from orbit, to be in a position to start again with mods that don't crash 5 minutes in?

I've never completed the game, despite playing for 135 hours and never finishing any of the major quest lines.

I know a lot about Skyrim modding and I've done several full playthroughs, I'll be happy to help you. At what point are you crashing?

Can you post your load order?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Massasoit posted:

Started to read some of the lore on TES wiki... I did not realize it was so complex and developed.

It's just overgrown over generations of writers. Michael Kirkbride was a mad genius, sure, but they haven't really done much since he left.

Their unwillingness to retcon anything is beautiful, though, along with the lack of an omniscient narrator. It creates a wonderful twitchgrass feeling, where everything is only true from a certain point of view, and elements have to be understood in context.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah there's an odd mix of curious metaphysics and Kirkbride fanwank that people take as the word of the gods. Half the fun of TES lore :spergin: is figuring which is which (in your c0da opinion).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I think I'm going to continue not reading in-game books and just play treasurehunter

• Locked thread