Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

It's almost as if the plot and the characters in MGS3 are much better thought out than in MGS5.

Kojima had a second writer on everything through 3 (who vanished fron the industry shortly after.) It wasn't until 4 and Peacewalker we saw what unfiltered Hideo looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Quiet's seriously as annoying and repetitive a topic to discuss as gamer gate

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Kojima will never create a character as sexy as Raiden in MGS2 again.

drat, that dude is curvaceous.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Oh you want curves do you?

:unsmigghh:

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Calaveron posted:

Quiet's seriously as annoying and repetitive a topic to discuss as gamer gate
I can't believe these PFs may control the fate of the middle east!

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Alacron posted:

Oh you want curves do you?

This parrot is dressed too provocatively.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

DStecks posted:

AAA games (to say nothing of MGS) are far too steeped in pretense for you to ever hear this from a game studio. Hi, Bioware!

Counterpoint: Team Ninja, and the Dead or Alive series.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

I can't believe these men may control the copulation of the vocal cord parasites.

:golfclap:

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

The Animorphs marathon continues with #49 The Diversion (Part One, Part Two), the one where the Yeerks discover the truth and everything is ruined for our heroes forever.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

poparena posted:

The Animorphs marathon continues with #49 The Diversion (Part One, Part Two), the one where the Yeerks discover the truth and everything is ruined for our heroes forever.

Thanks for reminding me of that Ax scene in the shop, had me laughing pretty drat hard remembering all the type of stuff the author used to have him do. Say what you will want about the series, the comedy with Ax never stopped being funny even during the lowest points.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

New episode of Jontron's Starcade, still not Tie fighter :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2qBdfKM2x4

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Bennett has a new one up too: Slayers the motion picture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8hwDTkhrfA

The poo poo he makes Gabe go through...

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Mokinokaro posted:

As a massive Slayers fan, the movie is very difficult to look back on and enjoy. It and the vast majority of the OVA's & movies are prequels so the only reoccurring characters are Lina & Naga and Naga can be a bit grating at times. The OVA's & movies can also be a bit formulaic as generally the two end up on different sides of a feud before eventually coming together to fight the main villain but they're usually pretty drat funny and the series really does feel like a DM just losing control of his group not matter what he tries to get them back on track.

EDIT: I would suggest avoiding Slayers Premium despite it being the only movie with the main cast since it's half the length of the other movies and it's not anywhere near as entertaining as the other ones.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 15, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mokinokaro posted:

Seriously, Gabe is a real trooper for all the poo poo he does in Anime Abandon :allears:. My favourite's still the fight over the scissors though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Testekill posted:

EDIT: I would suggest avoiding Slayers Premium despite it being the only movie with the main cast since it's half the length of the other movies and it's not anywhere near as entertaining as the other ones.

Just watch Evolution R and Revolution instead, which despite being a lot newer really capture the same spirit as the other TV series.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mokinokaro posted:

Just watch Evolution R and Revolution instead, which despite being a lot newer really capture the same spirit as the other TV series.

"You're under arrest for the crime of being Lina Inverse!"

"Well, he's got you there."

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Mokinokaro posted:

Is there a list of what to watch and what not to watch? Slayers is one of the few anime series/franchises that I've seriously considered watching in the last couple of years because of the near unanimous praise it gets (the other being Cowboy Bebop.) Unfortunately, I don't really know anything about the series.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Is there a list of what to watch and what not to watch? Slayers is one of the few anime series/franchises that I've seriously considered watching in the last couple of years because of the near unanimous praise it gets (the other being Cowboy Bebop.) Unfortunately, I don't really know anything about the series.

Okay so Slayers & Slayers Next (first and second season respectively) are unanimously liked although the first takes a while to actually click into gear while Slayers Try was flawed but still pretty good. I haven't seen Revolution or Evolution R so someone else will have to get back to you on that. With the movies and OVAs, here's what I think of them in order from best to worst although keep in mind that they're prequels so Lina is the only character that appears in both them and the series.
I haven't seen Slayers Excellent either

1) Slayers: Book of Spells is probably the funniest since it's three individual episodes just following the adventures of Lina & Naga. The funniest is probably the first episode just because the villain weaponizes Naga by cloning Naga and actually rendering Lina catatonic with her laughter

2) Slayers Great is where Lina vs Naga is at its funniest and is probably the least serious thing that the series has ever done.

3) Slayers Gorgeous is the other Lina vs Naga storyline where they get involved in a war between a king and his daughter over her allowance but it isn't as hilarious as Great.

4) Slayers Return is more actiony then the others and mostly involves the girls trying to save a villiage that has been taken over by a villain although it does have the usual Slayers stuff like Lina helping because there is a great treasure made of orihalcon near the town and the henchmen showing up to town only to end up beating the poo poo out of the villain because he hasn't paid them in months

5) Slayers the Motion Picture is the one that Bennett reviewed. It is worth a look if only because it's pretty funny once it kicks into gear

6) Slayers Premium is just pretty bad. It's half the length of the other movies and the only characters that have any importance are Lina & Gourry. There's an amusing 30 second cameo by Naga (Who is naturally working for the villains and dressed up so that nobody can recognise her) but nothing comes out of it and it just has a pretty boring conclusion.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Join Lupa to paint a spooky skull!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mokinokaro posted:

I've been thinking about those myself, but I've heard a lot of mixed reports. One criticism I've seen is that it comes off as a self-parody, sort of like an abridged series that's lasted long enough to buckle under the weight of its own memes and in-jokes. Is that fair criticism?

Was the fan theory (I presume it's only a fan theory) that Naga is Amelia's older sister ever confirmed? Or acknowledged at all by the guy who wrote it?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was the fan theory (I presume it's only a fan theory) that Naga is Amelia's older sister ever confirmed? Or acknowledged at all by the guy who wrote it?

Yeah, the creator confirmed it in an interview although they never appear on screen together until Evolution R when a living suit of armour called Nama is introduced who uses the pacifist crush attack.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 15, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Right. I'm aware that there's all this backstory for Slayers I don't really know much about (why Lina is scared of Luna, why Naga left Seyruun and so on) and I assumed a lot of it must come from the light novels, of which I've only read the first half dozen or so (up to wherever Tokyopop or whoever it was stopped translating it).

I don't really watch much anime but Slayers is a favourite of mine. I really like its dub voice cast.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
If "Book of Spells" is any indication, avoid the movies and OVAs at all costs. I was on a stream that watches bad anime which showed the first two episodes and they were painfully unfunny and borderline unwatchable. The person running the stream actually shut the second episode off about halfway through. I saw the 90s TV series a couple years back and that was pretty fun.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Baka-nin posted:

New episode of Jontron's Starcade, still not Tie fighter :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2qBdfKM2x4

While I've been enjoying these more and more as it's gone on (the ending to this one and the one before it have been the kind of surrealist seemingly-adlibbed-but-too-edited-to-actually-be-adlibbed-so-he-actually-had-to-write-this-down-in-a-loving-script-somehow humour i've missed from his videos), I really do wonder why he's stalled on Tie Fighter so much. Like, all that stuff is probably recorded and the X-Wing video unambiguously set up for it, i really wonder if it's just some weird technical issues or if he's rewriting the non-filmed bits.

I don't even know why I want him to do it so bad, I know it'll just be some light story riffing, basic gameplay rundown with ribbing on some of the dated bits, saying "it's real cool and a better X-Wing" and moving on, but I feel like part of my motivation is knowing that this series is exposing a lot of his younger audience to games they otherwise would have no idea about, and drat do I want more of the youth that are into the star wars (says the 19 year-old manchild) to know about how rad that game is.

I also wonder if he'll touch on XvT Balance of Power and X-Wing Alliance, presumably in 2018 and 2020, respectively.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Testekill posted:

Yeah, the creator confirmed it in an interview although they never appear on screen together until Evolution R when a living suit of armour called Nama is introduced who uses the pacifist crush attack.

There's also a piece of official promo art that features Lina together with Amelia and Naga apropos of nothing.

But that's the closest they've come to being "on screen" together, barring stuff like Nama in E-R, and that two second shot where she walks past Amelia in the background in the original Slayers.

That's the one thing I don't really like about Slayers though, they turn their unresolved cocktease plots into running gags about how they will never be resolved. Even the novels apparently end on a cliffhanger that looks like it will never be resolved.

Beyond that its a fantastic series though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Quote is not edit, and Android is a terrible operating system. :eng101:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Moartoast posted:

While I've been enjoying these more and more as it's gone on (the ending to this one and the one before it have been the kind of surrealist seemingly-adlibbed-but-too-edited-to-actually-be-adlibbed-so-he-actually-had-to-write-this-down-in-a-loving-script-somehow humour i've missed from his videos), I really do wonder why he's stalled on Tie Fighter so much. Like, all that stuff is probably recorded and the X-Wing video unambiguously set up for it, i really wonder if it's just some weird technical issues or if he's rewriting the non-filmed bits.

I don't even know why I want him to do it so bad, I know it'll just be some light story riffing, basic gameplay rundown with ribbing on some of the dated bits, saying "it's real cool and a better X-Wing" and moving on, but I feel like part of my motivation is knowing that this series is exposing a lot of his younger audience to games they otherwise would have no idea about, and drat do I want more of the youth that are into the star wars (says the 19 year-old manchild) to know about how rad that game is.

I also wonder if he'll touch on XvT Balance of Power and X-Wing Alliance, presumably in 2018 and 2020, respectively.

Conspiracy theory time, but since he is getting funded by Disney to make these things (at least a subsidiary of Disney), I'm wondering if they are holding him back from doing it because it is one of the few games where you play as the bad guys. All the other games feature good guys or good guys and bad guys as playable characters, but it's always the lightside ending that is canon. Lucasarts really had an aversion to letting you play unambiguously as the Empire.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't been following the series - what games has he covered so far?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Conspiracy theory time, but since he is getting funded by Disney to make these things (at least a subsidiary of Disney),

wat?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Conspiracy theory time, but since he is getting funded by Disney to make these things (at least a subsidiary of Disney), I'm wondering if they are holding him back from doing it because it is one of the few games where you play as the bad guys. All the other games feature good guys or good guys and bad guys as playable characters, but it's always the lightside ending that is canon. Lucasarts really had an aversion to letting you play unambiguously as the Empire.

90% of the marketing for Star Wars merch over the last 10 years has been Empire/Sith/First Order based. Walk past any Walmart toy department and I guarantee you you'll see images of Darth Vader, Clone Troopers or Kylo Ren plastered everywhere. The Empire sells big for people, despite them being the bad guys. Disney know this.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

I think he thought Normalboots is part of Maker, who Disney owns now. It's a separate studio though; Disney doesn't have anything to do with JonTron or Normalboots as far as I know.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

90% of the marketing for Star Wars merch over the last 10 years has been Empire/Sith/First Order based. Walk past any Walmart toy department and I guarantee you you'll see images of Darth Vader, Clone Troopers or Kylo Ren plastered everywhere. The Empire sells big for people, despite them being the bad guys. Disney know this.

To be fair, the stormtroopers are probably the most iconic Star Wars item outside of maybe lightsabers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And yet since Tie Fighter there has never been a "True" dark side video game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Have you considered the phrase 'Saving the best for last"?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Idran posted:

I think he thought Normalboots is part of Maker, who Disney owns now. It's a separate studio though; Disney doesn't have anything to do with JonTron or Normalboots as far as I know.

Okay, so I didn't miss anything.

I know that "someone" asked him to make the videos. The status update from last month (JonTron Spills The Beans) basically said:

- Someone (no details) wanted the series made. (No details on who, if they paid for it, if that's why there's a full set for 5 minute quasi-reviews, etc)
- Shooting was done and wrapped earlier in the year
- Production stalled out, hence the massive delay in episodes when it was meant to be a weekly mini series
- Production & real life happened for a few months, hence the radio silence
- Post-production done now, so the rest of Starcade will come out regularly for the rest of the run
- JonTron episodes will pick up again closer to the end of the year

(apologies for paraphrasing, going from memory)

So I though OP had actually information about who wanted this series to be made. I kinda doubted it was Disney in control. If so, there'd be way more PRODUCED BY DISNEY trademarks all over the place. And probably fewer suicide and masturbation jokes.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !
Totalbisquit got pretty much the worst news imaginable. http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1snlj3r

Regardless of how you feel about the guy, this is just terrible.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

lornekates posted:

So I though OP had actually information about who wanted this series to be made. I kinda doubted it was Disney in control. If so, there'd be way more PRODUCED BY DISNEY trademarks all over the place. And probably fewer suicide and masturbation jokes.

Nah, this sort of advertising works best if there's no indication that it's actually advertising.

IIRC there was a 24 hour period where due to a recent law change (before a loophole was found) where literally every video the yogscast put up were marked as sponsored content.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Bad Wolf posted:

Totalbisquit got pretty much the worst news imaginable. http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1snlj3r

Ugh, I can only imagine how lovely that must be. I hope he has lots of loved ones there to support him.

And I will thank everyone in advance for not going "I disagree with him on things but I hope he doesn't die of cancer!"

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Bad Wolf posted:

Holy poo poo that's terrifying. Hope he can keep up that attitude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Bad Wolf posted:

My brother (who is right now a few feet to my right) is currently fighting a stupidly-rare lymphoma, so I feel for him.

• Locked thread