Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Spraynard Kruger posted:

Hey, we're finally catching up to the ones I saw taped. My girlfriend will be on Monday's episode, will she be goon cursed by proxy? Tune in and find out!

She had the misfortune of being against Matt Jackson, and the other dude was pretty fast on the buzzer. Still a good showing, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I wonder how long Matt practiced that smile in front of the mirror? You can't game those dead eyes though.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Welp, your girl couldn't stop the Matt Train. Sorry she had to be sacrificed. Good lord is he good.

He's 25/27 on Daily Doubles. Jesus Christ.

zakharov fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 13, 2015

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

zakharov posted:

Welp, your girl couldn't stop the Matt Train. Sorry she had to be sacrificed. Good lord is he good.

He's 25/27 on Daily Doubles. Jesus Christ.

Yeah, when he got those two in a row, all the air got sucked out of the room. She had a lot of trouble getting buzzed in, too. The rumor going around was that the usual guy who runs the buzzers was at Burning Man.

If anyone else in the thread finds themselves needing to get ready for the show, I tossed my practice game app on GitHub. There are a lot of Jeopardy simulators out there, but I tried a bunch and none of them seemed quite right so I built my own. I'm also pretty sure I wrote the best readme. https://github.com/theGrue/jeopardy

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Madkal posted:

I wonder how long Matt practiced that smile in front of the mirror? You can't game those dead eyes though.

Dude's dead eye hasn't improved in 11 games, but sometimes during the interviews he seems like a human. Like today when he was talking about his cats.

R.I.P. Matt's kitty.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

So we're all just in a Turing Test right? Matt is a cybernetic organism living tissue over a metal endoskeleton. Got to be.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Matt looks like he learned to smile after watching videos of other people smile, but doesn't know that you have to move more than just your mouth muscles to make it convincing. Wasn't there a fairly recent goon who was basically the same way? This guy reminds me of him.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Matt looks like he learned to smile after watching videos of other people smile, but doesn't know that you have to move more than just your mouth muscles to make it convincing. Wasn't there a fairly recent goon who was basically the same way? This guy reminds me of him.

He's basically Sheldon trying to smile.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

It's worth noting that the dude is 23 - all the other superchamps were closer to 30 and had more experience being an adult. Looking normal on national TV is hard.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I mean it's one thing to be awkward but ya ain't gotta do a drat Herman Cain smile every drat day

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

zakharov posted:

It's worth noting that the dude is 23 - all the other superchamps were closer to 30 and had more experience being an adult. Looking normal on national TV is hard.

You don't need to be nearly 30 to know how to smile or express joy, or human emotions for that matter.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
there's like 8 year olds on kid's week who present themselves perfectly

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

None of them have over $400,000 :smug:

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 14, 2015

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Matt tattled on himself today. lol

Edit: our national nightmare is over

wa27 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 14, 2015

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

As soon as i saw todays challengers i said "please dont let this be the day matt loses."

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

wa27 posted:

No it isn't there's still ToC although I like Matt just fine.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Blargh, I missed almost all of it. Just caught the reveal of Matt blowing it in Final. Looks like it was a helluva game.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

wa27 posted:

I respect that.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I loved when the audience gasped.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, fully respect his admitting that he said the wrong thing to the judges instead of just taking the extra money.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

HookShot posted:

Yeah, fully respect his admitting that he said the wrong thing to the judges instead of just taking the extra money.

Between that, and him making handmade birthday cards for his family, I think I finally came around on Matt. Still glad he's gone.

Also, someone needs to tell Alex that "Dictator" and "Hero" are two very different things.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Never thought I'd see the day. Looking forward to Matt laying waste to the TOC.

And that was a drat hard FJ.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

zakharov posted:

And that was a drat hard FJ.

Yeah no kidding. I thought it was the drat Astrodome.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

This was the last of the ones I saw tape, I got to see a pretty good arc! I'm excited to see how long Michael lasts. I hear the Matt who's up on Friday sounded like a pretty serious competitor.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Yeah no kidding. I thought it was the drat Astrodome.

The only way I figured it out was going "Well it must be something to do with space since it's Galaxy Gold...uhhhh Space Needle?"

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I thought Griffith Observatory vOv

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Colonial Air Force posted:

I thought Griffith Observatory vOv

Me too, especially since they love asking LA questions.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Holy cow, where did Josh come from? He reminds me of Jacob Silj.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

All you people who whined about Matt, I hope you enjoy Josh. Why is he yelling at me?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

zakharov posted:

All you people who whined about Matt, I hope you enjoy Josh. Why is he yelling at me?

Came here to post this. Someone ask the crew to turn down his mic, at least.

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe
Kind of bummed how serious Alex was on that "Mark Wahlberg Talks to Animals" clue

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

zakharov posted:

He's like a less elegant Adam Sandler.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I like Josh, he's funny.

Also I really wanted someone to waste the $400 and answer "boy" to that "what's under a Priest" clue.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

zakharov posted:

Alex: "You've done stand up comedy for 12 years? You don't look old enough to have done comedy that long!"

Josh: "YEAH WELL THE GIRL WHO CHECKS IDS AT R RATED MOVIES DOESN'T THINK SO EITHER!!"

You're right. Matt wasn't that bad after all.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Mister Kingdom posted:

He's like a less elegant Adam Sandler.

That's implying that Adam Sandler was ever elegant...

Also, not used to seeing short sleeves, even if they're polos, on contestants. Booming voice even on mic was strange as well, shouldn't the guy be more used to microphones since he's a stand up comedian?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Some people who knew him posted on the Jeopardy reddit that yelling is his normal tone of voice.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

zakharov posted:

Some people who knew him posted on the Jeopardy reddit that yelling is his normal tone of voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWdoYMTzpOE

?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I know it's a sports question, but I can't believe nobody got FJ today. I was really hoping Zelda would take it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It seemed really obvious to me, but then they're my team (and I hate their current name).

It probably doesn't help that they suck, so no one thinks about them at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

wa27 posted:

I know it's a sports question, but I can't believe nobody got FJ today.

It was a really obvious one too, I got it almost immediately.

Looks like Josh gets to come back for another day of taping. Hopefully, he won't be rocking polos again next week. Just looks really incongruous to me, since I'm used to seeing dudes in suits and such.