Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
I figured, with them implementing well-known mods like Shifter/Biomod and Kentie's launcher options like FOV natively, that they were already using DX9/DX10 for their renderer. Wouldn't be surprised if they're using a custom version for the sake of optimizing all the stuff they've pushed onto the engine, and even then it seems like it's struggling.

It's certainly playable, but man this is taking me back to the days of dealing with old unoptimized UE games like Postal 2, where looking in the direction of busy scenery would just tank the framerate, even if it's technically occluded.

It's cool otherwise, though, and it's doubling as a way for me to finally play with Biomod which I for some reason never did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
It uses DX9 by default, but I use DX10 with classic rendering and it works fine.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I eventually managed to lure Paul towards the bot in a way that did not result in him turning on me. The results were disappointing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A01Jcr1baF4

Edit:

Also: I remember the original Deus Ex has this issue about being pitch black in light free areas (like anything beyond the zone of a street light) unless you got a fix. The mod appears to be suffering from the same issue - any fixes yet?

In related news - any way to bind the flashlight to anything other than F12, so I can stop taking screenshot all the time?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 14, 2015

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Xander77 posted:

In related news - any way to bind the flashlight to anything other than F12, so I can stop taking screenshot all the time?

In the keybinds menu you can, rather counter-intuitively, bind a key to F12 that will work as a flashlight key.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Dr Snofeld posted:

In the keybinds menu you can, rather counter-intuitively, bind a key to F12 that will work as a flashlight key.
Oh yeah. The same for every augmentation, right? Since the key binds were imported directly from the original, for some goddamned reason. Thanks.

Gamma issues solution in general?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Is there a way to get the Hazmat Suit and similar items to stop making noise? Environmental Training is finally useful but that wubbing noise is really irritating.

e: Saving/reloading seems to help? Sometimes?

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Xander77 posted:

I eventually managed to lure Paul towards the bot in a way that did not result in him turning on me. The results were disappointing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A01Jcr1baF4

Also: I remember the original Deus Ex has this issue about being pitch black in light free areas (like anything beyond the zone of a street light) unless you got a fix. The mod appears to be suffering from the same issue - any fixes yet?

Wait, so even the updated replacement for the GEP gun still cuts off at widescreen FOVs? :psyduck:

Alabaster White posted:

Is there a way to get the Hazmat Suit and similar items to stop making noise? Environmental Training is finally useful but that wubbing noise is really irritating.

If you're playing with Biomod toggled equipment and mods shouldn't be making the humming noise. If it is, there's been some kind of regression stemming from their integration. In Shifter and vanilla that stuff is all active/timed so the hum makes sense in that case.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Lork posted:

Wait, so even the updated replacement for the GEP gun still cuts off at widescreen FOVs? :psyduck:

It cuts off at about 88 FOV, but it's fine at 85. Yes, the HD model/texture pack, apparently updated for this mod of a PC game in 2015, isn't designed for 90 FOV.

Maybe it's some silly engine limit or something, tho, I wouldn't put it past Ion Storm's weirdass code to lock that in place somehow.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Well now I can't change my brightness in Revision and it forces the game to be really really dark. :(

edit: Verified cache on both Revision and Deus Ex and now everything is fine again.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 14, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

I made a modified version of the sounds package for you. Replace the DeusExSounds.u file in your Deus Ex/System directory with this one: https://mega.nz/#!n5FnXSJC!RDUrRXXpc4uGvSbK1YKZoxBKh_2lj4KWNDnO8imPtCU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I get a crash and an out of virtual memory, free up space on your HD (what, more than the quarter terabyte I already have?) message either toward the end of the opening cinematic or when trying to load the first map.

It's just playing Deus Ex in 2000!

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Try manually setting your page file at something like 1500MB.

Older games tend to freak the gently caress out whenever the page file gets over 2GB, since the "how much virtual memory do I have left?" API call starts overflowing when you toss it into a 32 bit integer.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What was the deal with the stupid pre order bonus thing? How'd it work/what was in it/what's happening to the stuff that would've been given?

I take it that mankind wasn't divided on it being bad though... HEH.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I just noticed, if you get killed by the pimp hassling Sandra in Hell's Kitchen, one of his 'I killed you' barks is 'Suck it down!'

Ion Storm :cripes:

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

So last time I played Deus Ex was at least 10 years ago and this is the first time I'm going full non-lethal with Biomod on. I'm in Hell's Kitchen now but I was wondering when I get to see the new weapons/augmentations. If I upgrade pistols will I be able to one-shot people with the crossbow + tranquilizer darts? If not, is there a ranged non-lethal option in Biomod?

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Anatharon posted:

What was the deal with the stupid pre order bonus thing? How'd it work/what was in it/what's happening to the stuff that would've been given?

They're including all the preorder bonuses now, whereas you had to pick between them before.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Ekster posted:

So last time I played Deus Ex was at least 10 years ago and this is the first time I'm going full non-lethal with Biomod on. I'm in Hell's Kitchen now but I was wondering when I get to see the new weapons/augmentations. If I upgrade pistols will I be able to one-shot people with the crossbow + tranquilizer darts? If not, is there a ranged non-lethal option in Biomod?
Neither Shifter nor Biomod add anything to fill that niche, unfortunately. From the perspective of someone trying to play non lethally weapon balance in Deus Ex is basically Non lethal, Silent, Ranged: Pick two.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Just checked. Deus Ex still owns.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Little known protip from an old veteran player. Gas Grenades are awesome. Everyone should know this, however you need to combine them with the Prod. A person incapacitated with gas goes down in one shot from the prod, don't try to use the baton.

Now for the protip, the environmental skill is one of those skills that has a hidden power, you take less damage (>50%) from coughing effects including enemy tranq darts, gas grenades and flame throwers just from one point in the skill. It does this passively and there is no indication it's working except that you won't die from a gas grenade/tranq anymore.

It also stacks with the environmental aug and using a hazmat suit allowing you to be basically immune to those effects.

The flamethrower resistance isn't typically significant (you'll die almost immediately from flames regardless) but it's interesting none-the-less.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Party Plane Jones posted:

I just noticed, if you get killed by the pimp hassling Sandra in Hell's Kitchen, one of his 'I killed you' barks is 'Suck it down!'

Oh man thank you for reminding me of this.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

How can you even get killed by him? I always taser him in the head before he can do anything in pretty much every playthrough. Such an rear end in a top hat.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Ekster posted:

It's worth noting that in Shifter and Biomod, if you've not been killing much up til now (that is, you were non-lethal enough in Liberty Island that Paul approved, and you didn't charge into Castle Clinton with Anna) Paul will leave you a unique baton in his hotel room that does significantly more non-lethal damage than the usual one, enough to usually one-shot an unsuspecting enemy. I believe you can still get it later if you play lethally but I'm not sure where it is in that case.

Also worth noting that in Biomod, you can't move silently with the Speed augmentation even if you're crouched, but the Silent Running augmentation is passive and doesn't drain any energy. In vanilla there's literally no reason to take Silent Running but I actually favour it in Biomod.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

tripwood posted:

How can you even get killed by him? I always taser him in the head before he can do anything in pretty much every playthrough. Such an rear end in a top hat.

I always intimidate him into leaving, one of my favorite dialogues in the game.

"Easy bro"

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Thanks for the tips guys. I've checked out some wikis on the mini-crossbow + tranq darts and apparently it knocks out standard guards with a headshot at max skill level so that's good to know. I already found Paul's baton (or rather, blackjack) and it works great for melee yeah.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Paul's blackjack is OP as heck. You can smash a lot of doors with it that I don't think you are supposed to be able to smash.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Seriously now. This is what an unmodded version of the original Deus Ex does to shadows unless you install a fix to make it play nice. Are you telling me that that's just what Revision looks like by default, and there's no fix for it?

(Also, it seems like all the hidden medbots are gone from Liberty Island)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Seriously now. This is what an unmodded version of the original Deus Ex does to shadows unless you install a fix to make it play nice. Are you telling me that that's just what Revision looks like by default, and there's no fix for it?

The medbot crate by the bunker still exists, at least.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Yes. The shadows are pitch black and there's no way to fix it. The medbots are there, they've just been moved.

Edit: I'm also getting horrible performance issues. The game will just lag out for seconds at a time.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 15, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

tripwood posted:

Revision really ramped up the accuracy of enemies apparently, and I never actually saw the entire conversation between him and Sandra before. So when he pulled out his shotgun I was surprised.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

tripwood posted:

I got killed by the backalley drug dealer in Hong Kong one time. :q:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
On my GMDX run I kill traded with Jojo (I think Jojo?) several times before just capping him outright.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Jojo's the dude who stands by while you murder Sandra's dad in the 'Ton. He's talking about the generic pimp who's hassling her in the alley the first time you go to Hell's Kitchen.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Jojo's the dude who stands by while you murder Sandra's dad in the 'Ton. He's talking about the generic pimp who's hassling her in the alley the first time you go to Hell's Kitchen.

To make the quote even more of a Romero cameo the guy's name is Johnny.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

To make the quote even more of a Romero cameo the guy's name is Johnny.

That's right, Johnny. I felt Jojo was wrong somehow.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Revision really ramped up the accuracy of enemies apparently, and I never actually saw the entire conversation between him and Sandra before. So when he pulled out his shotgun I was surprised.

I'm playing on medium+vanilla settings, testing things out and these nsf nerds are terrible as ever at aiming... What difficulty are you playing and isn't that just a Shifter thing?

Edit; Btw, might be old hat but you can bring up an advanced options menu by pressing ` for the console and then typing 'preferences' without the quotes. Back in the Unreal 1 days i used that for various stuff related to my audio i think.

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 15, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I'm playing on Realistic. Going up against dudes at close range without ballistic protection is like a death sentence and the snipers actually seem to hit you way more than I remember (or maybe there's just more of them period)

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

alright so something happened when I got to Hong Kong and for some reason my footstep sounds were replaced with low-pitched talking and grunting sounds that made it sound like my feet were beat-boxing :stare: I wanted to record it but FRAPs couldn't work whilst the game was running.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Jblade posted:

alright so something happened when I got to Hong Kong and for some reason my footstep sounds were replaced with low-pitched talking and grunting sounds that made it sound like my feet were beat-boxing :stare: I wanted to record it but FRAPs couldn't work whilst the game was running.

this sounds like a feature to me

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I'm increasingly questioning the veracity of those who say they can't see any gameplay difference between DX and Revision. Admittedly I'm running it in Biomod mode, but just from searching Liberty Island I'm going into my next mission rocking a massive stockpile of weapons and ammo including a modded-up sniper rifle, and a fully-loaded-and-then-some GEP Gun.

Also, for anyone having weird lighting/renderer issues, make sure you've got a CLEAN install of Deus Ex. You may need to manually scrub the directory in Steam. Revision comes with its own DX9 renderer and it doesn't play nice with the DX10 one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Dominic White posted:

I'm increasingly questioning the veracity of those who say they can't see any gameplay difference between DX and Revision. Admittedly I'm running it in Biomod mode, but just from searching Liberty Island I'm going into my next mission rocking a massive stockpile of weapons and ammo including a modded-up sniper rifle, and a fully-loaded-and-then-some GEP Gun.

Seriously? Where do you get those?

Also, anyone got the codes for the new areas in the UNATCO (Savage) base? Or do they not work until you find them in-game while escaping?