Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's not really characterization because there is no way this would be passed along to other characters. It's just lazy writing to get around the fact that they want to publish a Jason Todd book but not put the effort into writing it.

It isn't the only time this has happened. It's pretty bog-standard for 'Punisher'-style heroes to basically get an exemption from people who otherwise wouldn't give them an exemption because otherwise they can't exist. The entire Batman Family will be right back to ignore it the second someone decides to do a story that isn't about Jason Todd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The best solution would have been to leave red hood in the rogues gallery. OR LEFT JASON TODD DEAD

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Norns posted:

The best solution would have been to leave JASON TODD DEAD
There you go.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Did Jason Todd or Bucky come back from the dead first?

Bucky was dead a whole hell of a lot longer, obviously.

Rhyno posted:

Which would have robbed us of the Under the Red Hood animated film, the best animated DC film to date.

Mask of the Phantasm still exists, so

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 14, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Norns posted:

The best solution would have been to leave red hood in the rogues gallery. OR LEFT JASON TODD DEAD

Which would have robbed us of the Under the Red Hood animated film, the best animated DC film to date.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Travis343 posted:

Did Jason Todd or Bucky come back from the dead first?

Bucky was dead a whole hell of a lot longer, obviously.

They both came back in 2005, with Bucky coming back in January and Jason coming back that February.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

DrProsek posted:

They both came back in 2005, with Bucky coming back in January and Jason coming back that February.

So close enough together that it's probably a weird coincidence rather than outright plagiarism.

Athough Bucky coming back was, I think we can all agree (DT excepted) handled far better.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Yvonmukluk posted:

So close enough together that it's probably a weird coincidence rather than outright plagiarism.

Athough Bucky coming back was, I think we can all agree (DT excepted) handled far better.

Bucky coming back (and correct me if I am wrong because I never read the comics) seemed like they had a long plan for the character, while after Winnick's Under the Hood arc no-one had a clue on how to handle Todd or what to even do with the character. There seemed to be such little planning involved with Todd after the UtH arc that it just seemed like a waste to bring him back at all.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Madkal posted:

Bucky coming back (and correct me if I am wrong because I never read the comics) seemed like they had a long plan for the character, while after Winnick's Under the Hood arc no-one had a clue on how to handle Todd or what to even do with the character. There seemed to be such little planning involved with Todd after the UtH arc that it just seemed like a waste to bring him back at all.

Correct. Winnick originally planned Jason to be a one shot villian but he was popular and editorial continued using him.

Back when they planned killing Dick during IC the plan was for Jason to become Nightwing and Bruce Jones was even brought aboard with the idea of writing Jason. When Dick was spared Jones had to change everything on the last minute.

Then they tried to use Coutdown to turn Jason into Red Robin but Morrison' plans derailed that too.

Then he was turned into a villian by Daniels but the sucess of the animated movie made DC reconsider this direction, eventually leading to RHATO. The first time DC has had a direction for Jason.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Then he was turned into a villian by Daniels but the sucess of the animated movie made DC reconsider this direction, eventually leading to RHATO. The first time DC has had a direction for Jason.

Black Mask and Joker were the best parts of the animated movie not Jason. And Jason was a villain in the movie as well, A role he is much more entertaining in. I don't understand how the movie featuring him as a villain led DC to make him an anti hero.

(Like wise Black Mask and Joker were the best parts of the comic story line it was based on. With Mask beating out Joker due to showing up more and being way more entertaining.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 15, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

To be fair, the Jason Todd idea probably fermented from the Hush story from earlier.

Rhyno posted:

It also would have robbed us of DT's fine posting, so I agree with your assessment that this would be a huge loss.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

It also would have robbed us of DT's fine posting, so I agree with your assessment that this would be a huge loss.

poo poo.

Does anyone have some sort of pan-dimensional-jump-belt so I can hop over to Universe B and see what the forums are like with out DT?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
It's funny how you goons get so angry about D_T harmlessly posting about something they like that you end up cluttering up the thread more than they ever have with your snarky remarks about them. They almost never even respond to your lovely 'burns' and you act like you're totally showing them who's boss.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah knock that poo poo off. I said before let him enjoy his books and quit making a big deal out of it. There's no harm in posting about books you like even if nobody else likes them. Put him on ignore if you can bear to see him talk about books he likes, he's not done anything terrible since I told him to knock off the stupidity. He's only talked about books he likes. Now it's time to leave him alone.

X-O fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 15, 2015

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I remember (late 70's? early 80's?) when Rick Jones became Bucky after a rampaging hulk left the boy unconscious and Cap took him in. It was an awesome Hydra story.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

So, comics came out yesterday that where not Redhood, and I liked some of them.

Constantine: The Hellblazer wrapped up it's first major story line. The book has done a good job of establishing John as a bastard that screws over his friends, though this story seemed to wrap up a little to neatly despite that. I hope the next issues takes a moment to explore how this affected John personally. I really need to get around to reading the Vertigo series to better judge this one, but lack time and money at the moment.

JLU continues to be interesting with how they slowly reveal the reason for each team members inclusion for a mission. Make's me all the more disappointed they will be cancelling the series, as I like the overall concept and the resultant mishmash of characters.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

glitchwraith posted:

So, comics came out yesterday that where not Redhood, and I liked some of them.

Constantine: The Hellblazer wrapped up it's first major story line. The book has done a good job of establishing John as a bastard that screws over his friends, though this story seemed to wrap up a little to neatly despite that. I hope the next issues takes a moment to explore how this affected John personally. I really need to get around to reading the Vertigo series to better judge this one, but lack time and money at the moment.

JLU continues to be interesting with how they slowly reveal the reason for each team members inclusion for a mission. Make's me all the more disappointed they will be cancelling the series, as I like the overall concept and the resultant mishmash of characters.

If you read digitally there is a poo poo ton on sale right now

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

If you read digitally there is a poo poo ton on sale right now

I've only been reading digital through Marvel Unlimited. That said, $5 a volume is kind of hard to turn down. I'll have to check my budget, but I may be able to pick up a few. Thanks for the heads up!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Jurgens talks about Lois & Clark

quote:

Nrama: OK, so let's get into the meat of the story. Clark's been secretly influencing things in the main DCU earth?

Jurgens: We’ll be getting into that a lot more as the series plays out, but, yes — Clark has been here for a number of years, doing the things a Superman can do.

We very consciously put this Superman in the midst of the Justice League’s first adventure, ready to get involved if needed. It wasn’t necessary, but we’re going to find out that, over the years, he’s stepped in on a number of different occasions.

With no one knowing, of course.

Nrama: I guess he just couldn't help himself, huh? Part of who he is?

Jurgens: It’s the essence of who he is.

Nrama: OK, but why the change to the black costume that we've seen on covers? I was kind of liking seeing the red trunks again.

Jurgens: It might be called Earth, but this is a foreign world to him.

As we say in the story, it’s a darker, more suspicious world. If we go back to that time, when the Justice League first emerged, heroes weren’t automatically accepted and admired. There were skeptics, cynics and doubters.

Clark is leaving room for that world’s Superman to create his own place.

So he put the costume aside and pretty much went back to working like he did in his younger days.

Until he gets the black costume, of course. And we’ll have a story dealing with that coming up soon.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Are you guys ready for Lobdell to write Teen Titans again?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/10/15/a-few-dc-comics-solicitation-ch-ch-changes-from-the-last-few-weeks/

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

:stare: Well that makes dropping Teen Titans a much easier decision.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

The New52 iteration of Titans deserves Lobdell. Hopefully his addition will make the Titans stay cancelled this time.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Teen Titans: the franchise DC has the least idea of what to do with, circa 2006 at the very least.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I must be in the minority because I don't hate the New 52/current Teen Titans.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Verranicus posted:

I must be in the minority because I don't hate the New 52/current Teen Titans.

Both versions?
There's a pretty stark difference between the two guys who've written it.

Verranicus posted:

Batwoman, the art style was just not for me.

:stare:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 16, 2015

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Teenage Fansub posted:

Both versions?

I guess I just find it hard to really hate anything. So far of all the New 52 comics I've read the only one I actually gave up on was Batwoman, the art style was just not for me.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

glitchwraith posted:

The first issue with Sgt. Rock was starting to lose me, but the second pulled me right back in. Loving how the series uses so many characters from across the spectrum without seeming too packed. C'mon DC, instead of canceling it, just keep the JLU acronym and call it Justice League Unlimited 2 or something.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Was there ever a story where Batman won by being good at trading card games or something silly like that? Cause he trained to be good at everything.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Verranicus posted:

I guess I just find it hard to really hate anything. So far of all the New 52 comics I've read the only one I actually gave up on was Batwoman, the art style was just not for me.

You've got some very contrary opinions there.

New 52's original, Lobdell written Teen Titans run is in the running for worst ongoing comic DC has produced in the New 52. It is filled with ridiculous plotholes, character assassination, terrible dialogue, disastrous story arcs, obnoxious angst, and pointless awful drama. There's not a single redeeming thing about it aside from the times Rocafort's on art (a lot of the time Brett Booth is on the art and the art matches the terrible, terrible writing).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Both versions?

:stare:

Wait, two guys? I thought Lobdell was still on Titans. I picked up an issue after the new Power Girl came in and I seem to remember it was poo poo so I thought it was Lobdell.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It makes me irrationally angry that Teen Titans isn't one of DC's best books. Just make the book decent and you can coast on name value. Titans and Flash are a testament to how DC can gently caress up an easy hit.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Two Tone Shoes posted:

New 52's original, Lobdell written Teen Titans run is in the running for worst ongoing comic DC has produced in the New 52. It is filled with ridiculous plotholes, character assassination, terrible dialogue, disastrous story arcs, obnoxious angst, and pointless awful drama. There's not a single redeeming thing about it aside from the times Rocafort's on art (a lot of the time Brett Booth is on the art and the art matches the terrible, terrible writing).

Bunker was loving awesome and his bromance with both Kon and Gar was the best thing. The issue were they teamed up with the Outlaws was also fantastic.

The book also had a lot of different artists, of the top of my mind Barrows was solid even his faces were creepy at times while Kirkham was by far the best artist on the book.

In any case, the book under Lobdell was defintely better than with Pfeifer

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Wait, two guys? I thought Lobdell was still on Titans. I picked up an issue after the new Power Girl came in and I seem to remember it was poo poo so I thought it was Lobdell.

Will Pfeifer relaunched it last year. I thought it was pretty decent, though I fell off months ago.
Lobdell http://www.comicvine.com/teen-titans/4050-43004/?page=1&sortBy=asc
Pfeifer http://www.comicvine.com/teen-titans/4050-75697/?page=1&sortBy=asc

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Yeah, I dunno, I guess I just try to like everything. I'm just a casual comic reader and I essentially have access to any comic I could ever want to read for free thanks to knowing a few people who own stores. It's kind of crazy how rabid people in here can get over what are essentially cartoons.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Verranicus posted:

Yeah, I dunno, I guess I just try to like everything. I'm just a casual comic reader and I essentially have access to any comic I could ever want to read for free thanks to knowing a few people who own stores. It's kind of crazy how rabid people in here can get over what are essentially cartoons.

Yeah its pretty nuts that people are passionate about comics in a forum and thread made specifically for them.:rolleyes:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Norns posted:

Yeah its pretty nuts that people are passionate about comics in a forum and thread made specifically for them.:rolleyes:

There's passionate and then there's spending pages talking poo poo about people for liking different comics than the majority, though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
January's theme variant is "Color your own cover" :v:

January’s Complete Lineup of Variant Covers:

Action Comics #48 by Scott Kollins
Aquaman #48 by Andy Kuhn
Batman #48 by Dave Johnson
Batman/Superman #28 by Freddie Williams
Cyborg #7 by Derec Donovan
Deathstroke #14 by Emanuella Luppicino
Detective Comics #48 by Timothy Green
Flash #48 by Derec Donovan
Grayson #16 by Aaron Lopresti
Green Arrow #48 by Cully Hamner
Green Lantern#48 by Michael Allred
Justice League #48 by Scott Kollins
JLA #8 by Cully Hamner
Lois and Clark #4 by Aaron Lopresti
Martian Manhunter #8 by Andy Kuhn
Red Hood/Arsenal #8 by Scott McDaniel
Robin Son of Batman #8 by Sanford Greene
Sinestro #19 by Derec Donovan
Starfire #8 by Dave Taylor
Superman #48 by Andy Smith
Superman/ Wonder Woman #25 by Aaron Lopresti
Teen Titans #16 by Timothy Green
Titans Hunt #4 Scott McDaniel
We Are Robin #8 by Freddie Williams
Wonder Woman #48 by Emanuella Luppicino

Kind of a lame theme but gently caress it, Red Hood/Arsenal finally got in the variant fun! :neckbeard:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Naw that actually looks fun to color.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Not lame. gently caress colour.

They should bring back gimmick month and go uncoloured. They do put out those 'noir' editions of Batman stories, so someone there must be into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's kind of sad that kids won't get to colour in those comic covers.

• Locked thread