Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Tenzarin posted:

I really hope they got better at quests because fallout 3's quests were pretty lovely. New Vegas had amazing quests.

Hello son, you have found me. Yes I hid us in a vault to protect you because your were my child. Now go into the base full of super mutants and kill them all solo, good bye.

Daddy Liam Neeson believes in you! I mean just getting too him was a gargantuan effort; he probably assumes you're some sort of hyper competent serial killer by this stage and is happy to let you carry on.

Also seriously romances are a thing they want to push? Why? NV was great and didn't need romance. Do they wanna get a piece of Bioware's pie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gridlocked posted:

Daddy Liam Neeson believes in you! I mean just getting too him was a gargantuan effort; he probably assumes you're some sort of hyper competent serial killer by this stage and is happy to let you carry on.

Wow never thought about it that way, that sounds loving sweet.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Tenzarin posted:

Wow never thought about it that way, that sounds loving sweet.

Let's see assuming you followed the main plot only by the time you hook up with Daddy you've:

Fought you way out of the Vault at what one must imagine is 18-25ish. Maybe being a bad rear end breaking security guards faces with a baseball bat, a stolen pistol or even your bare fuckin' hands.

Found Megaton, integrated yourself somewhat into their lives and acted as a bounty hunter for a minor criminal.

Fought side-by-side with the Wastelands most badass humans, against a pile of mutants and got to be the guy who took out a 50 foot tall monster with a miniature nuclear bomb lobber.

Fought you way into the Jefferson Memorial; killing a whole squad or two of monster mutants.

Found a hidden Vault full of fuckin' brains-in-jars-with-laser-hands integrated yourself into a shared conscious network and then brought it down from within either peacefully by talking to the hundreds of years old genius who was running it or by literately destroying the minds of everyone involved.

And that's just if you did the main quest and nothing else. If you did other stuff there's been your Dad's kinda-friend Three Dog talking about how motherfuckin' bad rear end you are and how you're a one man army tearing up the Wasteland. Daddy Liam Neeson is probably SCARED of you.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Funky Valentine posted:

Maybe Fallout 4 will be a charming and fun game with sights to see and dogs to pet

I am almost sure it will have these things, and am super pumped to actually get my hands on the game. All the actual gameplay stuff they've shown makes it look like they ripped off the coolest mods from 3/NV and shoved them in the base game.

I am also afraid that potential responses will range from "Golly gee, I don't need a reward for this quest ma'am!" to "I will do this quest for money but to be clear I do not care about this one way or the other okay whatever" to "Avast, you'll be rewarding me with your money and your blood! Hahaha!"

To be fair I don't think the actual dialogue options that we've seen so far have indicated anything super worrying, but I have an uneasy feeling about 'HATE NEWSPAPER'.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gridlocked posted:

Also seriously romances are a thing they want to push? Why? NV was great and didn't need romance. Do they wanna get a piece of Bioware's pie?

The romances in NV were quite laughable.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The main failing of New Vegas was no "romance The King" quest.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Tenzarin posted:

Don't talk poo poo about FISTO.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

LornMarkus posted:

Actually, this is one place where having a voiced protagonist might help. If an actual human being has to speak the lines aloud, there's a chance on awful ones like that they might just look at the voice director and go, "this is loving awful, can we do something about it?"

Granted if there's enough they'd just eventually give up on constantly doing rewrites but it is still something. Best advice is probably still to prepare yourself for garbage.

I believe Tod Howard mentioned the dialogue was recorded first then animated. If that's the case last minute rewrites and ad-libs would be super easy to incorporate. We'll just have to wait and see.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

Do they wanna get a piece of Bioware's pie?

This is exactly what every decision they've made so far points to, which is hilarious because Bethesda is the only dev with worse writers than BioWare (and I say this as someone who put 110 hours into Inquisition and twice that into ME3, although primarily because of its dope multiplayer)

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I believe Tod Howard mentioned the dialogue was recorded first then animated. If that's the case last minute rewrites and ad-libs would be super easy to incorporate. We'll just have to wait and see.

you always record dialog first.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

This is exactly what every decision they've made so far points to, which is hilarious because Bethesda is the only dev with worse writers than BioWare (and I say this as someone who put 110 hours into Inquisition and twice that into ME3, although primarily because of its dope multiplayer)

It's the only reason I can see them trying to make "romances" a big thing.

There's no denying a percentage of Bioware game sales are from people who buy the game simply because they want to play the romances and/or story out and aren't that interested in the actual game play that goes with it. I mean just look at the crazies out there who spend time writing fan-fiction or drawing pictures for their favorite in-game couplings. To them the game is a dating simulator and the setting is the crazy rear end war outside.

Generation Internet posted:

I am almost sure it will have these things, and am super pumped to actually get my hands on the game. All the actual gameplay stuff they've shown makes it look like they ripped off the coolest mods from 3/NV and shoved them in the base game.

I am also afraid that potential responses will range from "Golly gee, I don't need a reward for this quest ma'am!" to "I will do this quest for money but to be clear I do not care about this one way or the other okay whatever" to "Avast, you'll be rewarding me with your money and your blood! Hahaha!"

To be fair I don't think the actual dialogue options that we've seen so far have indicated anything super worrying, but I have an uneasy feeling about 'HATE NEWSPAPER'.

I 100% believe there will be DLC that lets you chance the voice of the player character. If not mods that do so. And I really really hope that you can get a Pirate one complete with "SHIVER ME TIMBERS!" in fights.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 16, 2015

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

They saw that nerds spend thousands of dollars in the BioWare store and cosplay like crazy and flood Tumblr with fanworks but mostly the first one and they decided to make a generically whitely voiced player character with an angsty backstory and 15 nondescript people clamoring for his dick to capture that lightning in a bottle without realizing that the same fan artists and money-spenders already feel that way about New Vegas because it had actual characters and was extremely vague about its protagonist, letting you expand on their background almost exclusively in dialogue choices. Lol

Bitter fly
Sep 25, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Tenzarin posted:

I thought the salty mouthed bull dyke was charming

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I'm a dummy that doesn't know much about PC gaming despite playing a lot of PC games. I have an AMD Radeon HD 6800. Will that be enough to run dis?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Jst0rm posted:

you always record dialog first.

There are multiple ways to match dialogue and the character animations. It is not always record audio first then animate the lip flaps to match what was recorded. Either way, I'm sure it'll be easy for them to massage any awkwardly written lines on the fly.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Just give me a robo dog with laser bark technology. I couldnt give a poo poo less about romance subplots.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I hope it's a good game that takes the gameplay advances that Bethesda made with Skyrim as well as the history of the fallout games and what other developers have done with them, improves on those things maybe, and turns out something fun and cool.

And if that fails at least modding right?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

NecroMonster posted:

I hope it's a good game that takes the gameplay advances that Bethesda made with Skyrim as well as the history of the fallout games and what other developers have done with them, improves on those things maybe, and turns out something fun and cool.

And if that fails at least modding right?

Fallout 4 Modding Thread: Let's put some boobs on Fenway Park

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Funky Valentine posted:

Fallout 4 Modding Thread: Let's put some boobs on Fenway Park

Fallout 4 Modding Thread: How do I import my Skyrim tit mods?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I hope my 3570k processor still works great like it does on literally every other game despite not meeting recommended specs for this game. I can upgrade if I have to, but that means a new motherboard too.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I hope a really devout Yankees fan mods in "IM GAY" shirts for every NPC in Fenway.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Bitter fly posted:

I thought the salty mouthed bull dyke was charming

Too bad nobody did it because it required you to put several points in Charisma, a pure dump stat.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Yaws posted:

I'm a dummy that doesn't know much about PC gaming despite playing a lot of PC games. I have an AMD Radeon HD 6800. Will that be enough to run dis?

Google something along the lines of video card rating, and compare the numbers to their stated recommended cards. Games not out yet, so we can't say for sure what will and won't work unless your rig is just trash.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

frajaq posted:

Since this Piper wants the REAL DEAL of whats happening in the wasteland I'm gonna guess she's Moira Brown 2.0 and sends you all over Boston (but this time with romance!)
Piper is actually Lois Lane and you're the Sole Survivor of Krypton.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

It's the only reason I can see them trying to make "romances" a big thing.

I've not see any evidence that they're making it a big thing. It's just a thing, in a list of a lot of things that are in the game. Some people liked the marriages in Skyrim. I never bothered. Whatever.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I'm gonna make a large, brown, melee character and call him Big Papi. Nothing Big Papi can't handle with a bat.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

closeted republican posted:

Too bad nobody did it because it required you to put several points in Charisma, a pure dump stat.

Get a load of Prudy McPrude-shoes over here. The cool kids did loads of drugs to up our Charisma score. Party-time Mentats and Wasteland Tequila FTW.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Mr E posted:

I hope my 3570k processor still works great like it does on literally every other game despite not meeting recommended specs for this game. I can upgrade if I have to, but that means a new motherboard too.

Haha that's literally my situation as well.

First you go "oh well I'll need to upgrade my CPU for this? Guess it's fine it was about time anyway"

Then you go "oh gently caress my motherboard doesn't have the socket for it :suicide:"

I'll need to reinstall my OS too won't I?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Funky Valentine posted:

I hope a really devout Yankees fan mods in "IM GAY" shirts for every NPC in Fenway.

Not a Yankees fan but I approve of such a mod.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Mr E posted:

I have a 3570k with a gtx 980 and am fairly certain that no amount of PC will fix Bethesda Stutter™

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

frajaq posted:

Haha that's literally my situation as well.

First you go "oh well I'll need to upgrade my CPU for this? Guess it's fine it was about time anyway"

Then you go "oh gently caress my motherboard doesn't have the socket for it :suicide:"

I'll need to reinstall my OS too won't I?

If a Devil's Canyon i5 can't handle this game, Bethesda done hosed up.

I mean, technically the consoles are octo-cores so Bethesda's engine probably caters to that, thus the i7 recommendation, but the clockspeed difference alone between the APU in a PS4/One and a 3570K is enormous.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
Christ and here I'm hoping my OC'd i5 2500K is gonna limp along all right with my GTX 970 :ohdear:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

The head writer likes family a lot, I reckon he's great buds with his dad.

I've got a 2500k and 7870 so the game should run fine, gunna have some jagged edges to get 60 though.

Dougie McdDouger
Nov 19, 2014

I do like muffins , but I tango all night long.
Need to get my fallout fix in. Fallout 3 has flat out stopped working on Windows 10.

I wonder if power armour is now a negative thing as well as being super powerful? You can't just store it in your magic pip boy or whatever anymore?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Generation Internet posted:

Maybe :thejoke: but you know that was a live-action trailer with some CG, right? :v:

That was all render trailer, actually.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Mordaedil posted:

It was pretty good CG then. I totally believed it was live action.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Mordaedil posted:

Are you rustling my jimmies? At least the dog and Mr 111 were real right

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

If by real you mean an actor in a costume, you are correct.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Will a GTX 960 2GB with an i7 be good enough for this? I don't really care about ULTRA MAX FULL ON 120FPS poo poo, I just want like 50-60fps steady on maybe high.

That trailer, though. Can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

If by real you mean Todd "Bad Guy From Aladdin" Howard cast an enchantment to trap a human in the world of his videogame for promotional purposes, you are correct.

• Locked thread