Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Unimpressed posted:

Surely you don't seriously believe this. I mean, it's at least possible that some of them think it's bad but that it's better than other alternatives (as they see it).

I would classify that as not believing it is evil, sometimes you have to do something you think isn't ideal for a greater good and I can understand that even if I don't agree in that specific case.

Unimpressed however was describing politicians who think something is wrong, and would vote against it, but decide not to because it would hurt their standing in their party to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

loving Queensland what is it this time...

ABC Online posted:

Queensland Parliament passes new domestic violence laws granting victims 'special witness' status

Victims of domestic violence will no longer have to face their alleged attacker in court under laws passed in Queensland.

Minister for Women Shannon Fentiman said victims would automatically have "special witness" status in court.

"Imagine the bravery it takes to stand up to a violent partner, only to find you have to give evidence in front of them in court," she said.

The legislation also increased maximum penalties for repeated breaches of domestic violence orders to three years' jail for first-time breaches and five years' jail for subsequent breaches.

An independent Family and Domestic Violence Death and Advisory Review Board will be established to identify systemic issues in delivering services.

Furthermore, Attorney-General Yvette D'Ath said there would be specific notes on a person's criminal history for domestic violence-related offending.

"This will help our judges and magistrates to become aware of repeat or problem behaviour before it escalates," she said.

Oh. Um. Sorry Queensland, you're all right.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why are Australian politicians so uptight about voting along party lines compared to the UK, US, etc?

Australia is a much more homogeneous country than the UK and the US and our parliamentary system owes more to heritage than practical application. Queensland and Tasmania have far more in common with each other than (for example) London and Cornwall or New York and Wyoming.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I had a great dinner with my stepfather tonight in which I found out that he's not just racist and homophobic (par for the course amongst Aussie baby boomers) but also anti-Semitic. I'm always puzzled as to where Australians pick anti-Semitism up. I mean, he's a boomer, so it's not like he's exposed to the internet or much international culture. And Australia's Jewish population is negligible.

How do they pick up these notions? I mean, I was a pretty well-read kid, and I was probably in university before I realised that anti-semitism was ever a fact of life outside of Nazi Germany.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The whole "Political Correctness Gone Mad!" thing has been pretty big in Australia for a couple of decades. He might have picked up the Frankfurt school conspiracy from somewhere?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

freebooter posted:

And Australia's Jewish population is negligible.

on a whole yes, but it is not evenly distributed, Glen Eira in Melbourne is around 20% jewish from memory.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm pretty sure I don't know any Jewish people IRL.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

freebooter posted:

I had a great dinner with my stepfather tonight in which I found out that he's not just racist and homophobic (par for the course amongst Aussie baby boomers) but also anti-Semitic. I'm always puzzled as to where Australians pick anti-Semitism up. I mean, he's a boomer, so it's not like he's exposed to the internet or much international culture. And Australia's Jewish population is negligible.

How do they pick up these notions? I mean, I was a pretty well-read kid, and I was probably in university before I realised that anti-semitism was ever a fact of life outside of Nazi Germany.

Australia's population is mostly of European origin and antisemitism is well ingrained there. These days it's rarely, kill all Jews, it's a lot more, Jews like money and control lots of things.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

HookShot posted:

I'm pretty sure I don't know any Jewish people IRL.

I know about 15 Jewish-Australians. I met them all while studying in Sweden, which was kinda odd. They were all from Sydney and on exchange for a semester or 2 abroad. I think a lot were from the St. Ives area and all knew each other somehow (relatives, primary school etc).
Well, that's my story.

Ahh Yes
Nov 16, 2004
>_>
I miss the times when Tony Abbott was the Prime minister.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

My grandad was Jewish, but given that the religion passes along matrilineal lines, I was never brought into the conspiracy. *tips a 40*

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Tommofork posted:

For some reason I interpreted that as ABC new reporting on a section of the West Gate bridge collapsing 45 minutes ago. Maybe I should sleep.

In the Melbourne World Trade Centre there used to be a small exhibit on the collapse on the mezzanine level. I'm not sure if it's still there as it was 4+ years ago. It was something I never knew about until I saw the exhibit.

There is a part of it at Monash University at the Clayton Campus, out the front of the Engineering Faculty to remind the students what happens when things go wrong.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Australians are openly, shamelessly racist. How can you possibly think anti-semitism is a bridge too far when that's the starting point?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Queenslands best state status is hitting critical levels.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Anidav posted:

Queenslands best state status is hitting critical levels.

Let's just calm down there mate

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Local Man Spends Entire First Date Disputing Mainstream Account Of 9/11

North Betoota man, Chris Frith, says that the idea of once again spending Christmas alone is not something that bothers him. In fact it is the last thing that bothers him.

Chris is an adherent of the 9/11 Truth movement, just one of many theorists from around the world who dispute the mainstream account of the September 11 attacks of 2001.

“Blind dates, beach holidays, professional sport… these are just the things that sheep use to block out the truth,”

“Yeah, I’ve ruined a few dates by bringing this stuff up – but so what. I would rather connect with a partner who knows the truth. I’ve met plenty of them online,”

The “Truthers”, as they are commonly known online, dispute the commonly accepted account that Al-Qaeda terrorists hijacked four airliners, crashed them into the Pentagon and the World Trade Centre, whereupon the crashes led to the collapse of the Twin Towers.

“Truthers” primarily focus on what they claim are significant inconsistencies in that explanation, suggesting at the least a cover-up and, at most, complicity by insiders.

Chris says that most girls don’t call him back when he brings up the studies he has conducted on international oil dynasties and the physics of what would be required to actually bring down two structurally sound skyscrapers.
“My brother’s wife set me up on another lame date the other night with some dumb chick who refused to acknowledge the truth,”

“It came up early on in the date, when we were talking about all the recent terrorism in the Middle East… Obviously she didn’t know much, because I had to inform her that 9/11 was actually an inside job,”
Chris believes people are quick to question his theories but his response to them is simple.

“I just say to them… How did the buildings collapse, exactly?”

“Most of them say it was from the planes. That’s when I tell them that jet fuel can’t melt steel beams,”

“I’ve seen enough videos on Youtube and read enough independent commissions surrounding the attacks to actually be an authority on this subject. I can’t believe people actually think it was terrorism,”

“The only terrorists involved in 9/11 were the American Government,”

Chris says he plans to spend Valentines Day at home, while working on his conspiracy blog alone.

“Oh no! look at me! I don’t have a Valentine for some stupid calendar date,” Chris said.

“Everyone knows that Valentines Day is just another ploy by corporations to convince us to buy more flowers and chocolate. Man, people are such sheep.”

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/headlines/local-man-spends-entire-first-date-disputing-mainstream-account-of-911/

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

teacup posted:

Let's just calm down there mate

*vibrates violently*
*XXXX frothing from mouth*

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I agree with his views on Valentine's day.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Turnbull Secures Highly Influential CrossFit Vote With 120KG Power Clean

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

"The only hole theyve dug is the one for the former Prime Minister" - Albo on the Coalition's spending on infrastructure.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Anidav posted:

"The only hole theyve dug is the one for the former Prime Minister" - Albo on the Coalition's spending on infrastructure.

P. sick burn but only really works if you ignore the two still-fresh graves in Labor's camp. Would have been better if it came from someone like Tony Windsor.

...miss that guy... :(

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
*albomania intensifies*

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ahh Yes posted:

I miss the times when Tony Abbott was the Prime minister.

So do I, actually. I was hoping maybe the dignity of having an actual human as PM would be nice, but it really doesn't have any upsides when they're still peddling the same crap.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah but the messaging has changed or something

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

LET ME BRIGHTON YOUR DAY
The leader of far-right wing group the United Patriots Front has stepped down after members laughed at a video making fun of him.

Shermon Burgess has handed over the leadership of the group in a video posted online, which has led protests against a proposed mosque in Bendigo, after a fellow member made a video about him.

“He made a video mocking myself and another patriot who have actually done things for the movement,” Burgess said in a video posted online on Thursday.

“Yet here are supposed patriots sharing this video and laughing about it.”

Burgess has handed the leadership of the UPF to Blair Cottrell. “He’s got what it takes, and the man is a natural leader,” he said.

“I won’t be doing it anymore. Sure, I’ll still support the movement, but I won’t be making videos, and I’ve taken down my [Facebook] page, the great Aussie patriot.”

Burgess said he was not stepping down due to the media or “because of death threats from Islam, even though I’ve received many of those. It’s because of dumb gently caress patriots out there.”

He said it was due to a man who “goes to patriot rallies, but he’s really a lefty”.

Burgess said being a leader in the movement brought a lot of pressure from the police, from people trying to find out where he lives and from dealing with the media. “It’s like we’re at the rally continuously,” he said.

“This is what we’ve got to put up with. Now I don’t mind putting up with death threats from Muslims, I don’t mind [dealing with] media, but when your own loving people start turning against you and having a laugh, and spreading left wing poo poo, after all the sacrifices you made for them, that’s where I draw the loving line and I’m done. I’m loving done.”

Burgess said he had lost his job due to his involvement in the UPF, which he was proud of building up from scratch.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Come on people it's time to confess. Who here "goes to the rallies, but is really a lefty"?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Unimpressed posted:

Come on people it's time to confess. Who here "goes to the rallies, but is really a lefty"?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

You Am I posted:

There is a part of it at Monash University at the Clayton Campus, out the front of the Engineering Faculty to remind the students what happens when things go wrong.

They should put a guillotine out the front of polisci faculties

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Apparently we are laying "kilometres" of copper to make sure the FTTN NBN works.

I mean you could just put fibre in the loving holes you're digging. What the hell.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Laserface posted:

Apparently we are laying "kilometres" of copper to make sure the FTTN NBN works.

I mean you could just put fibre in the loving holes you're digging. What the hell.

We're a forward looking country that likes digging holes in the ground. We're looking forward to digging up those same holes in five/ten years times.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The leader of far-right wing group the United Patriots Front has stepped down after members laughed at a video making fun of him.

this is just really loving funny

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just dig a hole and put the country in it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Solemn Sloth posted:

this is just really loving funny

Anidav had that covered.

Anidav posted:

“This is what we’ve got to put up with. Now I don’t mind putting up with death threats from Muslims, I don’t mind [dealing with] media, but when your own loving people start turning against you and having a laugh, and spreading left wing poo poo, after all the sacrifices you made for them, that’s where I draw the loving line and I’m done. I’m loving done.”

This quote was the best bit.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Ler posted:

I know about 15 Jewish-Australians. I met them all while studying in Sweden, which was kinda odd. They were all from Sydney and on exchange for a semester or 2 abroad. I think a lot were from the St. Ives area and all knew each other somehow (relatives, primary school etc).
Well, that's my story.
A lovely little old Jewish Lady in St Ives called me an "Aryan fascist pig fucker" once.

To be fair, a work crew for a client of mine had wreaked her prized bonsai tree, but I was taken aback and was all :stare:

It's easily the greatest insult I've ever heard hurled, just rolls off the tongue.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Is this UPF guy the same one that was on the 7:30 report recently? His 'serious' videos were a complete joke too.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Rougey posted:

A lovely little old Jewish Lady in St Ives called me an "Aryan fascist pig fucker" once.

To be fair, a work crew for a client of mine had wreaked her prized bonsai tree, but I was taken aback and was all :stare:

It's easily the greatest insult I've ever heard hurled, just rolls off the tongue.

Hi David Cameron :)

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Money well spent

Refugee transferred to Cambodia in multi-million dollar deal with Australia returns to Myanmar

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Anidav posted:

LET ME BRIGHTON YOUR DAY
[b]The leader of far-right wing group the United Patriots Front has :qq:

This Friday keeps getting better and better.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"Hate group leader huge loving sook"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Two things about the recent UPF changeover.

1. You should all watch the video, purely to see him brought to tears.
2. The leadership has been passed on to a bloke called Blair Cottrell, who is a literal Nazi

• Locked thread