Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
In EG, with our 'balkanised' map where every nation is broken up for MP balance, we used to get Paradox Nationalists rebelling over every goddamn province in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Obliterati posted:

In EG, with our 'balkanised' map where every nation is broken up for MP balance, we used to get Paradox Nationalists rebelling over every goddamn province in the game.

You should probably swap "Particularist" for "Paradox Nationalist" in the localization for the next version of EG.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

wiz, any idea when the random new world/nation designer reworkings will be released?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I kind of want to make a horde in the Americas with the new DLC

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Whorelord posted:

wiz, any idea when the random new world/nation designer reworkings will be released?

Presumably with the just announced Cossacks DLC. Which, if we're lucky, will probably be 4 to 6 weeks?

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Fintilgin posted:

Presumably with the just announced Cossacks DLC. Which, if we're lucky, will probably be 4 to 6 weeks?

It is extremely likely that it will be at the very most 8 - 10 weeks from now, and not a day after.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Colonial Air Force posted:

I kind of want to make a horde in the Americas with the new DLC

The Plains Indians were pretty much steppe nomads, they just didn't get horses and adopt that lifestyle until the 18th century though :v:

Edit: also historically metalworking was not really a thing in North America outside of very soft native metals (like copper or silver) for jewelry and decoration.

They were working with essentially stone-age technology and without horses until the Euros showed up.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 16, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alt-history where the natives domesticated grizzly bears.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Alt-history where the natives domesticated grizzly bears.

Prior to the horse the Lakota used sled dogs to haul stuff.

Alt-history dog chariot steppe horde

Edit: or maybe the paleo-Indians didn't hunt mammoths to extinction.

WOOLY MAMMOTH CAV

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Kind of got the hang of it with Russia. Copied the Ottomans with their soldier dance after getting curb stomped a couple of times. Didn't get all of Manchuria, but pretty made new-USSR with north China thrown in. This game is too addictive.

How good is this score for a Russia run? Don't want to go through this again.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
A score is a score. Be happy with whatever.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

BCR posted:

Outside of maybe some multiplayer games nobody pays any attention to score at all. Personally, I'd like it replaced on the UI with a real world clock so I can see when I'm staying up to late.

We are pretty judgmental about pretty borders, though.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What could be the cause of a massively unstable income? I'm still doing my Russia run, and I was making 20 golds a month. A year passes and I have a deficit of -16/monthly, despite me just colonizing a few siberian provinces.

e:A large amount of my income comes from trade, could world alliances, wars, and embargos end up hurting me?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

BCR posted:

Kind of got the hang of it with Russia. Copied the Ottomans with their soldier dance after getting curb stomped a couple of times. Didn't get all of Manchuria, but pretty made new-USSR with north China thrown in. This game is too addictive.

I don't think anyone here posts much or cares much about score, honestly.

If you have an ending screenshot of your political mapmode zoomed out, and maybe ones at ~1600 and ~1700 you can probably get half a dozen opinions on how to improve your next game :)

Edit: although for one thing you seem extremely short on ideas which probably means you're wasting a lot of monarch points somewhere.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 16, 2015

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Avocados posted:

What could be the cause of a massively unstable income? I'm still doing my Russia run, and I was making 20 golds a month. A year passes and I have a deficit of -16/monthly, despite me just colonizing a few siberian provinces.

e:A large amount of my income comes from trade, could world alliances, wars, and embargos end up hurting me?

Embargoes don't really hurt you that much if you're the dominant power in the node already, which you probably are in most places you depend on if you're making most of your income from trade. Alliances and wars shouldn't really make a big difference - technically trade value is lowered when production drops because of a looted province, but it's unlikely to make a big difference overall unless ALL the provinces in a node get sacked at once somehow.

Did you have any temporary sources of income that were keeping you afloat before that might have expired? War reparations would be the main one. Also if you have vassals, is their liberty desire above 50%? They'll cut off any money they're giving you at that stage. I find my biggest drops in income are because West Indies are starting to get uppity and cut off tariffs.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Avocados posted:

How many siberian provinces? If you're colonizing more than you have colonists your cost will increase quadratically.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
the only thing about eu4 over ck2 that makes me sad is it takes me a good 40 mins to know if i've really hosed up

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

How do I break a country?

I won massively a war against the Ottomans as Russia and I am occupying all their territories. After neutralizing them, should I just wait for rebels then peace out?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Transmetropolitan posted:

I won massively a war against the Ottomans as Russia and I am occupying all their territories. After neutralizing them, should I just wait for rebels then peace out?

Why not just make all the "release cores/release nations" demands?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Why not just make all the "release cores/release nations" demands?

I want to ruin them as bad as possible :shibe:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Any province you occupy has your revolt risk, so their rebels aren't that likely to fire. Just get them up to 20 war exhaustion (you can see it on the war overview screen) and then peace out for whatever. Then they'll have to deal with all those provinces returning to them, with all the added WE unrest, on top of having no army. If they have the points to buy it down they'll do so, but whatever, not much you can do about that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

VerdantSquire posted:

It is extremely likely that it will be at the very most 8 - 10 weeks from now, and not a day after.

Now now, don't be so sure. A patch is never early or late, but arrives precisely when Johan means it to.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

So after having a pretty fun first game as Ming I tried the Itza. I formed Maya but once the Europeans showed up I couldn't really expand much even after westernising. The Brits took over the other Central American factions to my North and they and the Portuguese took much of South America too. I did manage one good expansion against the Incas and will be able to do so again after my truce expires but pretty much every other neighbour is a colony. Although I'm not too far behind technologically they all have their mother countries and a bunch of Western allies backing them, and I just can't compete with the economies of those western powers. Is this normal for playing an American faction? Is there anything else I can do other than slowly colonise with my one colonist from religious reformation and wait for the game to end while praying the Brits don't decide on a whim to crush me like a bug? I had grand dreams of launching an invasion of Europe but lol no way is that gonna happen, I can't even take the Windies from the relatively weak Dutch. I tried allying with the French since they don't like the Brits either but they're not interested in allying with my weak, primitive rear end.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 16, 2015

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Being an American native nation is one of the hardest and least interesting ways to play, pretty much for the reasons you're describing. Your best hope might be if some of your colonial neighbors rebel against their parent nations. Check their liberty desire, and maybe even support their independence if possible. A successful independence war would mean either a new target you could attack without drawing in the Europeans, or potentially even an ally to help you beat up other colonial nations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Allyn posted:

Any province you occupy has your revolt risk, so their rebels aren't that likely to fire. Just get them up to 20 war exhaustion (you can see it on the war overview screen) and then peace out for whatever. Then they'll have to deal with all those provinces returning to them, with all the added WE unrest, on top of having no army. If they have the points to buy it down they'll do so, but whatever, not much you can do about that.

I may be wrong on this but I believe that having war goals forced onto you reduces your WE significantly so for this strategy to work you need to have a light touch in the peace negotiations.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

:toot:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Allyn posted:

Gah... I remember doing this way back. I was building The Serbian Empire :tito:... and nearing the end of the game, I was rich and able to hire many mercenaries, along with choking off the Ottoman Empire's huge stack of ships that usually protect its trade route. I did this huge prolonged war, and saw that they were suffering much more than I was from the war going on, so I just let it go and go and go and go... while I held a large portion of their provinces... letting the rebels rise up and take over those provinces as they went bankrupt and pretty much broke. Eventually the war weariness got bad enough that I ended it, returning most of their provinces... but by that time the Ottoman Empire has split up into about 5-7 countries and soon after Russia came in and declared war, sweeping up the pieces as it was in total ruin.

This is absolutely the most satisfying way to defeat a large nation. I hope one day to maybe do this to France, perhaps by establishing The Pentarchy... but it's been a while since I've played, so perhaps that's not as easy with all the changes from Common Sense and The Art of War :).

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Wait what is this?!?!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Shayu posted:

Wait what is this?!?!

Something we all want. And I guess it will be in the expansion?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Cool!

If the threatened parties refusal automatically results in war though, that interface should probably show the war dec info (allies, stab hits, defender of the faith will defend, etc)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

protip

Quantity + Trade = THE PRODUCTION QUOTA ACT, goods produced modifier +20%

Never suffer having no money for titanic armies again

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
So someone explain Production to me. Thus far I thought that it's just like taxation, but boosted by tech and different buildings. Is there something more to it?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

I wish there was an "ask nicely" version, or a "trade provinces" screen that gave big positive modifiers towards asking for provinces on your border if you give a nation the province(s) needed to connect two disconnected enclaves or fill a multi-province island or whatever.

Basically, it would be nice if there was a way to do pretty border horse-trading with allies or quasi-allies without having to go through selling provinces and then threatening for other provinces.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tevery Best posted:

So someone explain Production to me. Thus far I thought that it's just like taxation, but boosted by tech and different buildings. Is there something more to it?

That's basically it - the main difference is that production affects trade value in a node (a node's value is essentially the sum of each province's production x trade goods price). So it's a bit better than tax income because it allows you to double dip on income - you get the money from the raw production value, and then more money from collecting in that trade mode.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

My boner won't go away :stonk:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Tevery Best posted:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

That's basically it - the main difference is that production affects trade value in a node (a node's value is essentially the sum of each province's production x trade goods price). So it's a bit better than tax income because it allows you to double dip on income - you get the money from the raw production value, and then more money from collecting in that trade mode.

Yep. Production is effectively tax income you get based on the value of the commodity in your province (e.g. 10 production of grain means less income than 10 production of chinaware). However, the produced value also goes into the trade system, so in an ideal system (you produce x and then capture 100% of your own trade) you get 2x the production value.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

RabidWeasel posted:

My boner won't go away :stonk:

Paradox are geniuses. DLC after DLC, I can't stop buying them.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tevery Best posted:

As others have mentioned it's based off the price of the goods, buildings, tech.

Production Income = Goods Produced * Price * Production Efficiency
Trade Income = Goods Produced * Price * Trade Efficiency * whatever fraction of the trade you're capturing

You'll notice Goods Produced affects both Production and Trade, so +10% Goods Produced is effectively +10% Production AND Trade Efficiency but also multiplicative with those modifiers, which is why

protip

Quantity + Trade = THE PRODUCTION QUOTA ACT, goods produced modifier +20%

Never suffer having no money for titanic armies again

is a bonkers policy.

I would argue that Admin ideas actually gives similar or more of an economic boost than Economic ideas. The main perks of Econ is the inflation and autonomy reduction and development cost discount.

Edit: Goods Produced also boosts gold provinces which Production Efficiency does not.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

I wonder if this can be used on one-province countries to wipe them off the map at the click of a mouse. I remember playing the original Hearts of Iron as the Soviets and you would get events granting you cores on the Baltic states. You could click demand territory and they would dissolve themselves and grant you all their provinces, just because you asked! Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Tsyni posted:

Paradox are geniuses. DLC after DLC, I can't stop buying them.

At this point, I buy only Paradox and CDProjekt Red on day 1.

• Locked thread