Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Sleeveless posted:

You joke but people are still circulating it years later and it made people aware of the fact that Pepsi had a new logo so it was effective as a piece of marketing. I honestly wouldn't be surprise if the whole thing was manufactured, or at the very least incredibly tongue-in-cheek, because they knew they could "leak" it and everybody would circulate it so they could chortle at how dumb marketers are while also doing exactly what the marketers wanted them to do.
Peter Arnell, from a cursory Google, is kind of a prima donna nutjob and wouldn't do that. If some of these quotes are to be believed, he wanted to be flown to China and Japan for months to "study the culture" specifically for the Pepsi logo job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

If it was deliberate it'd have some awesome fonts and maybe an ironically self aware mascot that could become viral. It would almost certainly not have that much white space.

If you want blatant viral bait, why not try the Squatty Potty ad?

I mean it's definitely going to get millions of views, and delivering that product's information in any other way probably wouldn't move nearly as many units (not a pun), but... I dunno. I don't like it.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

So years ago, maybe to coincide with austerity measures making market over here a bit more liberalized, tv broadcasts would increase the sound volume during advertisement time. That's not necessarily the problem. Rather, on a few shows, the "advertisement" time was rather badly defined within inshow adverts vs actual breaks, so the signal would compound on that. Adverts would get louder and louder at some periods at some points of the day, namely around Lunch hour during Morning programming.

Around this time, a milk company (Vigor, they mostly did yougurts and milk products if you didn't live on the capital) decided to start adverts for their chocolate milk . One of them, for some reason I still have to figure out, would mostly have a cartoon mom trying to calm a cartoon baby into drinking milk, which would be screamingly loudly for most of the advert. Coincide this with this being on a morning market, and around lunch hour you'd get restaurants blaring with glass sort of vibrating with incoherent baby screaming thanks to that lovely advert. Which is scrapped offline for good reason.

Same policy also lead to NOS (A cable company here) making adverts involving a cute robot making sounds to react the wonderful technology of cheap portuguese internet. Sounds that were noticeble if you, let's say, were next to a TV with volume increase and couldn't help to noticed they sounded a lot like a gagged man screaming for help. Thaaat also got scrapped rather quickly!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

FutonForensic posted:

I mean it's definitely going to get millions of views, and delivering that product's information in any other way probably wouldn't move nearly as many units (not a pun), but... I dunno. I don't like it.

Goddammit, I was eating a bowl of frozen custard when I watched that. gently caress.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I shouldn't so openly admit where I live but my phone already randomly spat it out on IRC and this needs to be seen: http://imgur.com/a/0co6Q (I know the photos are poo poo that's why I got multiple)

We get your ice by murdering polar bears! gently caress yeah! See, the father polar bear even approves!

No, really, what the gently caress?

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 08:24 on Oct 17, 2015

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The baby bear in the water just looks so distraught.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Sleeveless posted:

You joke but people are still circulating it years later and it made people aware of the fact that Pepsi had a new logo so it was effective as a piece of marketing. I honestly wouldn't be surprise if the whole thing was manufactured, or at the very least incredibly tongue-in-cheek, because they knew they could "leak" it and everybody would circulate it so they could chortle at how dumb marketers are while also doing exactly what the marketers wanted them to do.
I don't know, personally I became aware of the fact that Pepsi had a new logo when I walked through the grocery store and saw that Pepsi had a new logo.

Seeing the design document later was just a "what the hell" reaction.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

AlphaKretin posted:

We get your ice by murdering polar bears! gently caress yeah! See, the father polar bear even approves!

Not that it makes it any better, but I think father bear might be thumbing to hitch a ride off his sad shrunken ice floe, not giving a thumbs up.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Huntersoninski posted:

Not that it makes it any better, but I think father bear might be thumbing to hitch a ride off his sad shrunken ice floe, not giving a thumbs up.

Jesus christ who designed this loving ad. :gonk:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Sleeveless posted:

I saw that document, and have consumed Pepsi since seeing that document, and somehow I didn't know that the logo changed until I saw this post.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Ridiculous branding docs like that are actually super helpful for: A) giving future designers a clearcut set of guidelines to follow and B) convincing stubborn old CEOs that updating their company's outdated image is "scientific".

That said, the Pepsi doc takes that pretense to an entirely new level and I love it. It used a whole page just to explain what the Golden Ratio is. It reads like satire.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Hyperbolic hack article ahoy

McDonald's franchisees say the brand is in a 'deep depression' and 'facing its final days'

(Emphasis mine)

quote:

"We are in the throes of a deep depression, and nothing is changing," one franchisee wrote in response to the survey by Nomura analyst Mark Kalinowski. "Probably 30% of operators are insolvent."

Oh, well here's a bit of good news

quote:

The recent national rollout of an all-day breakfast menu has given McDonald's a much-need boost in the eyes of customers, according to a new survey.

The survey found that public perception of the burger brand is at its highest point in two years.

Haha just kidding

quote:

"In small stores, the problems are vast with people falling over each other and equipment jammed in everywhere," one franchisee wrote in response to the survey.

Another wrote, "All-day breakfast is a non-starter. We are trading customers down from regular menu to lower-priced breakfast items. Not generating new traffic."

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

FutonForensic posted:

Oh man, I loving love that ad. To me, it does everything good advertising should. It informs honestly about the product, entertains, is charming, and funny, and memorable. Of course, I also love that sort of humor, and the moment it really hits the peak for me is the part at the end when he hands the kids the toilet paper as they eat the ice cream. They didn't have to go that far, as an advertisement it would have been perfect to cut off right at "and ice cream!" with the prince smiling, but they went that extra little bit, and god bless 'em. They took a risk and it worked.

Of course, I also worked in advertising with agencies for years, which is is industry run by out-of-touch old men and idiot 20somethings who are willing to let their time be bled away to be workhorses for the older folks, and altogether they were some of the most creatively lacking, terrified-for-their-jobs human beings you may have ever met. If you want to know why advertising is so bad, it's because everyone is just sort of loving guessing at this point (the old methods and metrics have fallen away and ad agencies are struggling), but trying super-hard to pretend that if we all just keep existing within the old system it'll all be ok. There is absolutely nothing like being the one woman in a room full of men pitching ideas for a vaginal lubricant ad, and just having to take notes and remain professional. It's like a goddamn comedy sketch. Let's not get into how awkward discussions of race were.

This ad looks like everyone had fun, is clued in, and understands what they're loving doing in order to appeal to the current generation and get play. It's a breathe of fresh air.

EDIT: punctuation

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 17:08 on Oct 17, 2015

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Oh man, I loving love that ad. To me, it does everything good advertising should. It informs honestly about the product, entertains, is charming, and funny, and memorable. Of course, I also love that sort of humor, and the moment it really hits the peak for me is the part at the end when he hands the kids the toilet paper as they eat the ice cream. They didn't have to go that far, as an advertisement it would have been perfect to cut off right at "and ice cream!" with the prince smiling, but they went that extra little bit, and god bless 'em. They took a risk and it worked.

Of course, I also worked in advertising with agencies for years, which is is industry run by out-of-touch old men and idiot 20somethings who are willing to let their time be bled away to be workhorses for the older folks, and altogether they were some of the most creatively lacking, terrified-for-their-jobs human beings you may have ever met. If you want to know why advertising is so bad, it's because everyone is just sort of loving guessing at this point (the old methods and metrics have fallen away and ad agencies are struggling), but trying super-hard to pretend that if we all just keep existing within the old system it'll all be ok. There is absolutely nothing like being the one woman in a room full of men pitching ideas for a vaginal lubricant ad, and just having to take notes and remain professional. It's like a goddamn comedy sketch. Let's not get into how awkward discussions of race were.

This ad looks like everyone had fun, is clued in, and understands what they're loving doing in order to appeal to the current generation and get play. It's a breathe of fresh air.

This actually explains a lot about the current election, and I'm going to quote the hell out of you in that sub forum.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

EDIT: punctuation

That ad not only dis-encouraged me from buying the whatever it is they're selling, but also from eating ice cream. Thanks a lot Squatty Potty!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
You know you'll be back soon enough once you hear the dulcet tones of the ice cream truck in 90 degree weather. Ice cream is too delicious.

It's also an inherently pure thing, which is why soiling it is so hilarious. And, when it's about poop, you can really only take two paths: be serious and tell all the gigglers in the audience to STOP LAUGHING, or acknowledge it's an embarrassing and somewhat humorous subject and embrace it. The latter is a much better way to appeal to the types of people today who would be using social media - the former 'serious' tone would be aimed more if you were trying to appeal to a more conservative (and most likely older) audience, that wanted to feel like they were being respected despite having bowel issues. And that tone, that overly serious deferential tone, comes off as insincere to a lot of younger people and it turns a lot of people off (myself included).

And hey, Charmin does those ads with bears making GBS threads in woods and everyone seems ok with those.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

FutonForensic posted:

I hope this man was paid a king's ransom.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Can you tell more stories about this because this sounds hilariously cringey

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Linking a PDF, because jesus christ this thing.

http://www.goldennumber.net/wp-content/uploads/pepsi-arnell-021109.pdf

The Arnell Group was paid millions to do this.

To me it looks like they spent 5 minutes making a logo in Illustrator and 2 months trying to create a justification for it.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

You know you'll be back soon enough once you hear the dulcet tones of the ice cream truck in 90 degree weather. Ice cream is too delicious.

It's also an inherently pure thing, which is why soiling it is so hilarious. And, when it's about poop, you can really only take two paths: be serious and tell all the gigglers in the audience to STOP LAUGHING, or acknowledge it's an embarrassing and somewhat humorous subject and embrace it. The latter is a much better way to appeal to the types of people today who would be using social media - the former 'serious' tone would be aimed more if you were trying to appeal to a more conservative (and most likely older) audience, that wanted to feel like they were being respected despite having bowel issues. And that tone, that overly serious deferential tone, comes off as insincere to a lot of younger people and it turns a lot of people off (myself included).

And hey, Charmin does those ads with bears making GBS threads in woods and everyone seems ok with those.

Sorry, but I just don't get how eating poop (be it unicorn poop) can be either of two; it's just awkward, to the point where you think "did they really do that? didn't they see they're advocating coprophilia?" - and then you've got the prince serving poop to toddlers. How exactly is it informative, serving to promote the product, I don't know - I guess, we're talking about it, so some kind of mission accomplished, however I don't understand why people would indeed go for buying Squatty Potty (was it a footstool? a toilet?) because why? (are they constipated? they have problems with digestion?). Yes, the shock factor (at least for me) is there, but how does that translate to people that will buy the product and recommend it?

I remember the Charmin commercials running, maybe 8 years ago (sorry, don't watch tv these days, and, at least in my country, Charmin wasn't an established brand to begin with, so the ads disappeared I think) - it was a commercial about a cartoon bear, making GBS threads in the woods, and preferring to wipe his rear end with a roll instead of a leaf. It was stupid, but comparing to other ads, not really that special - let's take for example a ants that see their princess hanging from a leaf and using a sheet of toilet paper to rescue her fireman style. Ok, you want to showcase properties of your product in some way, be it soft, durable, whatever, and you don't have an easy product to talk about - these ads do it, and maybe they'll incline somebody to purchase this brand over generic one. The only thing I remember about Squatty Potty is the poo poo eating.

I'd love however to hear any of the stories you might have - I always treated ads as, well, pointless; I've been taught to choose a healthy compromise between quality and price, and it didn't matter that the, again, toilet paper came in shiny packaging, or was soft, or scented, or blue - what mattered that it was 2x as expensive as the one that was durable. However, the creativity behind certain ad campaigns (the one that comes to my mind was about banners that were talking to people, by transmitting radio waves, and it was for a ghost show) and how much work comes into that would be a great thing to hear about, or read, or see.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Good.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

canis minor posted:

Sorry, but I just don't get how eating poop (be it unicorn poop) can be either of two; it's just awkward, to the point where you think "did they really do that? didn't they see they're advocating coprophilia?" - and then you've got the prince serving poop to toddlers. How exactly is it informative, serving to promote the product, I don't know - I guess, we're talking about it, so some kind of mission accomplished, however I don't understand why people would indeed go for buying Squatty Potty (was it a footstool? a toilet?) because why? (are they constipated? they have problems with digestion?). Yes, the shock factor (at least for me) is there, but how does that translate to people that will buy the product and recommend it?

I remember the Charmin commercials running, maybe 8 years ago (sorry, don't watch tv these days, and, at least in my country, Charmin wasn't an established brand to begin with, so the ads disappeared I think) - it was a commercial about a cartoon bear, making GBS threads in the woods, and preferring to wipe his rear end with a roll instead of a leaf. It was stupid, but comparing to other ads, not really that special - let's take for example a ants that see their princess hanging from a leaf and using a sheet of toilet paper to rescue her fireman style. Ok, you want to showcase properties of your product in some way, be it soft, durable, whatever, and you don't have an easy product to talk about - these ads do it, and maybe they'll incline somebody to purchase this brand over generic one. The only thing I remember about Squatty Potty is the poo poo eating.

I'd love however to hear any of the stories you might have - I always treated ads as, well, pointless; I've been taught to choose a healthy compromise between quality and price, and it didn't matter that the, again, toilet paper came in shiny packaging, or was soft, or scented, or blue - what mattered that it was 2x as expensive as the one that was durable. However, the creativity behind certain ad campaigns (the one that comes to my mind was about banners that were talking to people, by transmitting radio waves, and it was for a ghost show) and how much work comes into that would be a great thing to hear about, or read, or see.

You're that more conservative audience.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

canis minor posted:

It's not real. It's obviously not advocating coprophilia. Jesus christ.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It is, but only for unicorn poop.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I might never get a chance to write off "Eat a Big Mac" off my bucket list

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Canis is part of the market sample that forced car commercials to include the disclaimer "Professional driver on a closed course."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

McDonald's potentially failing is such a weird thing to hear, just because I really can't imagine what McDonald's failing would look like. Whether they scale back, or push until they implode, I really can't picture the events surrounding such an occasion.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Cleretic posted:

McDonald's potentially failing is such a weird thing to hear, just because I really can't imagine what McDonald's failing would look like. Whether they scale back, or push until they implode, I really can't picture the events surrounding such an occasion.

A slow scaleback over a few decades as well as livelier chains buying up their old locations. Plus who knows how long they'll last overseas, there's always the chance that they mostly disappear in north america and europe but continue to exist in other markets.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
McDonald's has become more or less synonymous with a bunch of things that are currently considered Very Bad Things. They're going to have to completely remake themselves if they want to keep existing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

McDonald's runs some higher end places around the world called McCafe that people seem to genuinely like. Maybe going upscale is the answer. Or at least try to match Chipotle in terms of quality and freshness. Their barbacoa is pretty drat good and you could probably serve it in real restaurants. People don't mind high calorie content if you can label it fresh/organic. People shovel down In-N-Out even though it's terrible for you.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
A McCafe is the place you go to to get coffee in the morning on the way to work if the only other choices you have is convenience shop coffee

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

In Australia McCafe and normal Maccas are integrated and of more than passable quality, and I haven't heard any talk or seen any signs of failure.

E: Wait wait wait what I'm getting lost here. Is McCafe brand new in the US? We've had it for yonks, and not mutually exclusively with burgers and poo poo. Wendy's is a fairly good ice-creamery here too.

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 09:23 on Oct 18, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ToxicSlurpee posted:

McDonald's has become more or less synonymous with a bunch of things that are currently considered Very Bad Things. They're going to have to completely remake themselves if they want to keep existing.

Which is funny because they are actually on the low end of fast food bad things. Still bad for you, but Wendy's I think was the worst offender. Thing is, people have mcdonalds once a day, which can add up, but here in Canada, our favorite coffee is the tim hortons double double which people suck back constantly. I've worked with guys who literally drank 6 or 7 of them a day, at 280 calories per. But you dare raise that topic, and it would be like saying "I think Canada should join the US". That's as many calories as a chocolate bar, more than a bottle of coke.

It's also interesting to note that the single biggest calorie heavy item in a Big Mac is the bun. about 1/3 of its calories come from it, with the remaining 2/3 coming from the rest. I always thought that was crazy. I'm sure moving to the more artisan breads has reduced it on the newer sandwiches, and I'd love if the big macs had them.

But yea, re-branding themselves to be more like a Starbucks style place probably helps. I remember reading about them, and the person interviewing the McD's spokemen asked about if making things more upscale would drive away some customers, and he came back with "well, the kind of customer that wouldn't come in because a McCafe is clean and well maintained is a customer we can do without". Nice sentiment.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
The article about mcdonalds failing was about franchisees doing bad. Mcdonalds corporate is probably still doing OK.
The franchisees that are struggling are probably in lovely locations, and buried under a ton of debt.

If they are forced to close, mcdonalds will probably buy the better stores, and it will just mean the end of expansion as franchisees probably won't invest in the future.
E: IIRC mcdonalds usually runs about 1/3 company owned stores, and 2/3 franchises

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 09:37 on Oct 18, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

AlphaKretin posted:

Wendy's is a fairly good ice-creamery here too.

In 'Murica, Wendy's is synonymous with being served month-old rubberized hamburger shavings.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

AlphaKretin posted:

In Australia McCafe and normal Maccas are integrated and of more than passable quality, and I haven't heard any talk or seen any signs of failure.

E: Wait wait wait what I'm getting lost here. Is McCafe brand new in the US? We've had it for yonks, and not mutually exclusively with burgers and poo poo. Wendy's is a fairly good ice-creamery here too.

I have never seen a McCafe here. Though Wikipedia says there are some. I saw pictures of a McCafe in France and it looks like people buy pastries and stuff like that.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Mu Zeta posted:

I have never seen a McCafe here. Though Wikipedia says there are some. I saw pictures of a McCafe in France and it looks like people buy pastries and stuff like that.

Every one I've been in has them except food courts. :shrug: It's not a separate establishment, just a different counter and menu that sells, yeah, coffee and pastries. The coffee's not actually poo poo depending on the store, if there's nothing better around. :pseudo: (a loving fast food place isn't really appropriate for :eng101:)

E: assuming here means Australia

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Mu Zeta posted:

It's just a different counters that sells different types of pastries and coffees.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Mu Zeta posted:

McDonald's runs some higher end places around the world called McCafe that people seem to genuinely like. Maybe going upscale is the answer. Or at least try to match Chipotle in terms of quality and freshness. Their barbacoa is pretty drat good and you could probably serve it in real restaurants. People don't mind high calorie content if you can label it fresh/organic. People shovel down In-N-Out even though it's terrible for you.

There was a real McCafe in King of Prussia, PA. Being served a quarter-pounder at a table is odd. Eating fries and a burger off a real plate with real silverware was quite disturbing. I also seem to remember they had an absurd array of desserts like pies and cakes, and many ice cream flavors.

In Denver, McDonalds had a few weird test locations. In one - you ordered from a touchscreen, just like a Wawa or a Sheetz. In another - there was no counter at all - you sit down at the table, and pick up a red phone to place your order, and they bring it to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah the only "McCafe" I ever see is the logo on the warm drink cups, which I just thought was them trying to sound fancier to compete with the Starbucks crowd.

I really see dipping profits for McD's to be just one sign of the growing trend where enough post-boomer generations are starting to get old enough to make educated decisions for themselves and tune out the non-stop media frenzy that's been going on since before they could walk. It's the same reason Wal-Mart also is reporting their first dip in profit growth, and more political things like prescription drug prices skyrocketing and Bernie Sanders being the candidate the people want instead of who the networks tell them to. Not to be on a soapbox, but it's starting to look like the greed-based models this whole country has been running on for over thirty years are finally starting to wear out. All the times this thread talks about stupid marketing plans failing to reach Millennials is just proof of that. Not that I think we're suddenly going to stop being duped and ripped off left and right, just that I think the powers that be need to come up with new methods if they expect to ever continue at the level they had been. Those that can't are dying very quickly.