Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
And :psyduck: right in the middle, an iTunes Match subscription gives you ad-free radio, but limited skips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The one thing that i think is missing from Apple Music is the social-bit from Spotify. Following my favorite artists meant I could get really solid playlists from them, then I could follow people too for the same reason. Right now, it's essentially just following people on Twitter who choose to share cool playlists (99% don't listen to the same music as me) and then checking to see if a artist of mine has a new album out.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Haven't renewed yet. Apart from native iOS integration, which is great, I just wasn't impressed with the service at all. Such a shoddy launch. Really shameful from Apple.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

The one thing that i think is missing from Apple Music is the social-bit from Spotify. Following my favorite artists meant I could get really solid playlists from them, then I could follow people too for the same reason. Right now, it's essentially just following people on Twitter who choose to share cool playlists (99% don't listen to the same music as me) and then checking to see if a artist of mine has a new album out.

I think the social stuff it does would be cool if more artists were using it the way guys like Trent Reznor are, just putting out weird, random unreleased stuff.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I don't understand how Apple Music algorithms work.

Let's say I start a station with some ~dubstep~ or something. The next song is some lyrics-heavy junk that is nothing like the song I started the station with. I tap "Play Less Like This". The next song is just like the one I told it to play less of. I tap "Play Less Like This" again. The next song is sorta like the first. The next song seems to be from a totally different genre. Something hard rock or Country or hip hop or something. It's almost like it's randomly playing things.

Pandora, Spotify, Google Music, etc - they seem to play songs that are more similar to each other. Hitting thumbs Up / Down in Pandora has provided me with the same go-to station since the service started.

I've started half a dozen stations in Apple Music, trying to get one that plays similar music. I'd say 10 out of every 20 tracks don't seem anything like what I started the station with. Tapping "Play Less Like This" gets rid of that song, but it still plays other songs just like it. After enough skips it ends up playing the original song again. I could scream the next time I hear "Ghosts 'n' Stuff" from deadmau5 play. It seems to put that song on at least 4 times a day for me. I don't want to make it stop playing it forever, just play it less frequently. Pandora has an "I'm Tired of This" function for this specific reason, I believe (play it less, but don't block it).

Also, the "For You" section is totally not what I'm looking for. So I played some David Guetta mixes - I like electronic music. My "For You" section then lists a bunch of Nicki Minaj music. What? Well, you see, there's about 100 songs and mixes with David Guetta and other artists. So I'm getting recommendations from Nicki Minaj, Rihanna, Lil Wayne, Chris Brown, etc.

Also, I never listen to the Rolling Stones, but I'm guessing that because I ripped a CD for a family member a half a decade ago, I get lots of Rolling Stones suggestions.

Next to my "Late-Night Electro House" suggested playlist is one for Eric Clapton. Right under my "Inspired by Daft Punk" is "The Rolling Stones: The Mick Taylor Era". Right above "In the Mix: Basement Jaxx" is "Intro to Sarah McLachlan".

I'm more than certain that I've never Liked/Loved, hit "Play More Like This" or even once did a search or ever purposely played any music on my iPhone from Eric Clapton, Mick Taylor (I had to Google who that is), or Sarah McLachlan - yet they are in my "For You".

I thought maybe the service was all screwy because it was new. I signed up the second it went public. Well, here we are, months later, and it's still just as screwy.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 2, 2015

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I wouldn't read at all into the 'For You' section making anything resembling anything like a complex algorithmic playlist. It definitely seems like these are a couple dozens of handmade playlists by people at Apple Music/spondoring labels. All the backend does is try to match music you've played recently with a couple of them. This is just my guess considering the majority of music I listen to is noise rock and jazz fusion and Apple certainly doesn't have any employees curating playlists for those genres to populate the pane with. The only things that show up are top 40 rap playlists, probably stemming from the fact that I played all of the new Fetty Wap album earlier this week.

tl;dr: The recommendations are dumb and limited.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The complaint I have with Radio is that it plays the same loving songs over and over until you rate a billionty songs. And then it'll usually only play songs off the same album. For instance, I rarely get any Metallica that isn't off the black album, or any Motorhead that isn't off Ace of Spades.

And I've noticed that it tries to shoehorn particular artists into the stations, no matter how many times I tap "seriously don't play anything like this anymore." It's almost as if Apple is trying to advertise them or something.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Is there no option to turn off albums you already have / listen to heavily appearing in the new tab?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Quick possibly dumb question: on the Beats One station, when the DJs are talking is there a ton of reverb on their voice?

Listened to it on headphones this morning for the first time in months, and the DJs are in a tunnel. Don't think I've got any effects on (nothing in iTunes, and afaik there's no system-wide sound effects on a Mac).

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Quick possibly dumb question: on the Beats One station, when the DJs are talking is there a ton of reverb on their voice?

Listened to it on headphones this morning for the first time in months, and the DJs are in a tunnel. Don't think I've got any effects on (nothing in iTunes, and afaik there's no system-wide sound effects on a Mac).

Depends on the DJ? I think I've noticed that with some of the artist shows but the in-studio kind eg Zane, Julie, etc. I haven't heard that. I don't think the artists necessarily come into the beats studio to actually record so I'm imagining a podcast-like set up there.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I'm noticing it on Zane Lowe's show in particular. Yesterday and right now.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I've officially switched back to Spotify. It's been real, y'all. Maybe next year.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Has anyone gotten a family membership to work? I'm paying for this poo poo and all the family sharing stuff is correct but it just doesn't work. It only lets her pay for a new membership.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What should happen is when she goes to sign up for a single plan, it should prompt with "hey you're setup for a family plan" and it should work.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

What should happen is when she goes to sign up for a single plan, it should prompt with "hey you're setup for a family plan" and it should work.

Yeah, she's getting the screen that asks if you want to buy a single or family plan, nothing about already having an account appears.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

tuyop posted:

Yeah, she's getting the screen that asks if you want to buy a single or family plan, nothing about already having an account appears.

Pick one and see what happens. At some point in the process it will say it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
You know what's cool? Saving a bunch of songs from Apple Music to be available offline so that I can listen to them on a plane and then having them randomly just delete or unsaved themselves the next time I connected to wifi or something. Very cool.

Like I literally did nothing. I was able to listen to the music on the plane in airplane mode the other day and now I just noticed today during a long train ride that all the music was unavailable with the option to make them available offline. loving fantastic.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You know where that doesn't happen

Literally every other streaming service.

I think we all have to swallow our pride and own up to Apple Music being a load of poo poo.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I mean, horrible offline/online button placement has caused me to uncheck offline content on Spotify.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

You know where that doesn't happen

Literally every other streaming service.

I think we all have to swallow our pride and own up to Apple Music being a load of poo poo.

I don't have to do poo poo, as it's still working perfectly for me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheJoker138 posted:

Yep. No issues or problems here either. It's been working well for me since it came out. There's a couple UI things I'd like Apple to change, but they're minor compared to Spotify and Pandora.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I'm back on Google music now. I still got 9 months of apple match left but ever since I stopped the Apple music sub it's not been working properly.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The actual streaming part on iTunes on my computer works great. I mean I don't mess around with creating playlists or anything like that, I just search for music I want to listen to and play it and it's good in that way. The curated playlists are neat too and has introduced me to some new music as well.

It's just having my phone randomly decide to delete the n number of albums and playlists I added to my phone for offline mode while I'm on vacation and don't have access to a stable internet source is really, really, really, really, really lovely and that alone has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Spotify has done that to me before, a couple of times.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

You know what's cool? Saving a bunch of songs from Apple Music to be available offline so that I can listen to them on a plane and then having them randomly just delete or unsaved themselves the next time I connected to wifi or something. Very cool.

Like I literally did nothing. I was able to listen to the music on the plane in airplane mode the other day and now I just noticed today during a long train ride that all the music was unavailable with the option to make them available offline. loving fantastic.

It's called airplane mode, not train mode.

Idiot.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

TheJoker138 posted:

a house with a bad foundation is still livable

#deep

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

a house with a bad foundation is still livable

#deep

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with it, but everything for me has been rock solid and working 100% as advertised.

Well I guess the other day it told me that my PC wasn't activated and I had to hit the button to reactivate it again, but I assume that was a weird combination of my iTunes Match expiring and being on Windows 10 beta builds. And it was fixed basically instantly, so no biggie.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

Pick one and see what happens. At some point in the process it will say it.

The solution is to go to Settings>iCloud>Family>(Me) Click your account name, enter your password, then click "Confirm Account".

I contacted Apple about this since nothing on the internet was working and I thought it might be hosed up on their end. Pretty cool to see support work for me for once, no redundant troubleshooting steps needed!

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Boris Galerkin posted:

The actual streaming part on iTunes on my computer works great. I mean I don't mess around with creating playlists or anything like that, I just search for music I want to listen to and play it and it's good in that way. The curated playlists are neat too and has introduced me to some new music as well.

It's just having my phone randomly decide to delete the n number of albums and playlists I added to my phone for offline mode while I'm on vacation and don't have access to a stable internet source is really, really, really, really, really lovely and that alone has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Did you happen to run out of space at some point? I know the OS starts to purge stuff when disk space gets low.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

EL BROMANCE posted:

While better than the usual US Top 40 station, Beats 1 is still falling into the trap of playing the same songs far, far too often if you listen to it for a decent amount of time. I have it playing while I work, and I've been using it since day 1 and think if I have to listen to that 'We are the new Americana' song one more time, I might explode.

Holy hell, I've note listened to Beats 1 in forever but I'm on a laptop with only 2 albums on it, so I've popped it on and not even an hour in that GODDAMNED SONG has played. What's the point of having every record known to man in your library if you're only going to play that loving one.

e: that post was from August 8th.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It's a pop station. Of course they're going to have a lot of repeats.

Also if it makes you feel any better (it will not), you basically got unlucky. That song seems to be played a hell of a lot less lately, and mostly only on "no name" shows. And as a counterpoint, most of this afternoon was a replay of Abstract Radio from last night, followed (maybe not immediately, but close?) by a fairly interesting Pharmacy. And One Mix is on right now, for your Oontz fix.

(I hate that drat Americana song, too).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, I'm just being silly more than anything. A ton of tracks got played as much of it, that one just stuck in my mind because it was exactly the kind of track you can not mind to start out with but each repeated play feels like a stab wound. Wasn't expecting to hear it come up amongst the other stuff that was being played!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So from what I can tell:

Spotify
Pros: Free to listen to on PC, has playlist "follow" and sharing, has some friends list thing with people you know on Facebook, improving device streaming, makes Jimmy Iovine mad if you subscribe.

Cons: Lots of Spotify-managed playlists seem really small (though they also seem to cycle a lot of songs in and out if you follow them), radio in my experience has a lot of variety in stations but pretty bad.

Apple Music:
Pluses: Integrated into iOS and Apple TV, cloud hosts your music, better recommendations based on liked songs, tries to host your music collection in the cloud, Beats1 is kind of interesting if way too genre-varied in my taste (next make a Beats2 for older people thx)

Cons: Numerous syncing/hosting issues, numerous layout issues, ONLY works with iOS and Apple TV and maybe soon Android, radio is better than Spotify IMO but drastically reduced compared to what it was prior to Apple Music, Jimmy Iovine is a whiny Hollywood dweeb who wants people to spend more money on music and Tim Cook is throwing RIAA a lifeline because I don't know.

Google Music:
Pluses: Has an integrated Songza radio which rules IMO, hosts your music in the cloud.

Cons: Kind of crummy player software, no social features at all, paranoid fear that Google engineers are analyzing your listening data and they're all judgmental music nerds who dislike your favorite bands and report your old Kazaa albums to the NSA.

This about right?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

MrBond posted:

Did you happen to run out of space at some point? I know the OS starts to purge stuff when disk space gets low.

I've got 40+ gbs left.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I feel like I should start a "Chart of Repeats" to really see how often it repeats the same stuff on me.

Out of 30,000,000+ songs, I keep hearing the same ~10 every day, and the same ~5 or so multiple times in a single day.

I listen to Apple Music mostly in my car, and in a 1-week period I will have heard " Ghosts 'n Stuff" by deadmau5 come on at least 15+ times.

Thank goodness for unlimited skips, because I'm pressing the hell out of that button. I don't want it to never play that song again, but perhaps just play it once a week, instead of once every 30-minute car ride.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Radio had a really nice option to pick between hits, variety and exploring new tracks but with Apple Music they basically cut all the functionality stations have. You can't even edit curating manually or fix accidental "don't play this song again" misclicks.

I love being able to add to my library pretty much anything but managing my radio stations was like the best part of the whole thing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, Radio is absolutely terrible when it comes to repeat songs. It'll play the same 2-3 songs by one artist. It drives me bonkers.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

3 days until we get beta Sonos integration. Unsubscribed from Google Play a few months ago and I'm really looking forward to having a fresh source of music on my Sonos again.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Martytoof posted:

3 days until we get beta Sonos integration. Unsubscribed from Google Play a few months ago and I'm really looking forward to having a fresh source of music on my Sonos again.

3 days?

Ive had it for 3 days already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Feenix posted:

3 days?

Ive had it for 3 days already.

Wait really?

Oh maybe that's when it comes out of Beta then and I've been waiting for no reason :mad:

edit: So I'm not sure why I can't access it. I'm in the beta program but it's not an available service for me :(

• Locked thread