Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yes, because it's the only just way to discuss it. The law doesn't consider whether, with the benefit of hindsight and perfect knowledge, there was a way for the defendant to avoid the situation, or even whether there may have been a better way for the defendant to handle it given what he knew at the time. The only relevant question should be whether what the defendant did was reasonable and lawful. You can say that what happened to Rice was wrong, and that the officer and the department bear moral responsibility, but the minute you say individuals should face jail time or other legal consequences, you have to be willing to engage that from a legal perspective.

The problem always becomes only focusing on the moment of the killing. And bullshit that's the only way the law sees it, otherwise you'd have a woman who shot her husband who had been abusing her for months or years would just be locked up for because if you only look at the facts surrounding the shooting and nothing else it's murder. Looking back at multiple times the husband being arrested for abuse and constant calls to the police and it becomes self defense.

Since it's my favorite go to, headlight kid. Yup, he attacked the cop. Looking only at the seconds before his death it's a justified shooting. But I doubt anyone would think the kid would have swung at the cop had he not been forcefully dragged from the car, wrestled and tazed before hand. Nobody can name something different that should have been done in the seconds before his death because it was the events that lead to those final seconds that resulted in his death. I am fully willing to agree the blame for Tamir Rice does not fall only on cop who cries at the gun range, the entire chain of events from not taking away the badge of someone who had supervisors flat out say he can't handle stressful situations and don't think he can be taught to, sending him and someone with multiple accusations of brutality to investigate a kid, not informing them that some THOUGHT it was a gun all contributed to the final outcome. I do think him falling out of the car guns blazing should be punished but the entire system failed.

So when people want things changed they can't name a single law or event because almost every single case is a long chain of events that while each maybe technically legal or following protocols obviously something is wrong because they keep ending with people dying that shouldn't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Jarmak posted:

no its not, not wanting to get stabbed on the way home from the market is not remotely a moral principle.

edit: this is also a really stupid argument to try to prove seeing as legal systems as we know them today originated as amoral social engineering, the idea of codifying morality didn't come until later.

Nope. It's a moral position to believe that getting stabbed is wrong. It's pretty close to a universal position, but it still involves matters of right and wrong.

Furthermore, suggesting that Hammurabi's code had no moral argumentation behind it is risible, but not so much as suggesting it's necessary to "socially engineer" people to get them not to murder each other, and it's seriously disturbing that you believe that.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Toasticle posted:

The problem always becomes only focusing on the moment of the killing. And bullshit that's the only way the law sees it, otherwise you'd have a woman who shot her husband who had been abusing her for months or years would just be locked up for because if you only look at the facts surrounding the shooting and nothing else it's murder. Looking back at multiple times the husband being arrested for abuse and constant calls to the police and it becomes self defense.

You know that happens, right? The battery syndrome case law isn't accepted everywhere and even where it is, there's a lot of pushback on it. It's taken sustained effort by a lot of people to change the default assumption that you look at the instantaneous circumstances, not the wider circumstances, and it was first brought in by literally arguing that the abuse was so pervasive that it literally robbed the victim of their reason - it was effectively a species of insanity defense.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Effectronica posted:

Nope. It's a moral position to believe that getting stabbed is wrong. It's pretty close to a universal position, but it still involves matters of right and wrong.

Furthermore, suggesting that Hammurabi's code had no moral argumentation behind it is risible, but not so much as suggesting it's necessary to "socially engineer" people to get them not to murder each other, and it's seriously disturbing that you believe that.

I never said getting stabbed is wrong. I said I don't want to get stabbed, because it loving sucks. That is a position of self interest.

The first legal systems were an attempt to end the cycles of violence of the vendetta system by providing a system of dispute resolution. Hammurabi's codes are first written law, not the first legal system, but even they are mostly focused on the very same thing. Before enforcement of things like "don't murder people" was mostly done on the basis of the fact the victim's family would take revenge on you or your's.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Jarmak posted:

I never said getting stabbed is wrong. I said I don't want to get stabbed, because it loving sucks. That is a position of self interest.

The first legal systems were an attempt to end the cycles of violence of the vendetta system by providing a system of dispute resolution. Hammurabi's codes are first written law, not the first legal system, but even they are mostly focused on the very same thing. Before enforcement of things like "don't murder people" was mostly done on the basis of the fact the victim's family would take revenge on you or your's.

If you want to take the position that Epicurean morals didn't exist at all, you can do it in a classics journal, not here. Because, you see, the implicit arguments you are making were part of Epicureanism's moral system- pain is bad, etc.

Furthermore, the very fact that legal systems being invented is something we can trace instead of being 100,000+ years old indicates that they have been nonessential for most of human existence, so saying that they exist to "socially engineer" rather than acting as a system that emerged as a consequence of human societies developing to a greater size than that of one or two extended families is a fairly idiotic statement, because it supposes a prehistoric orgy of death that is invisible in the archaeological and paleontological record. So keep trying.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Effectronica posted:

If you want to take the position that Epicurean morals didn't exist at all, you can do it in a classics journal, not here. Because, you see, the implicit arguments you are making were part of Epicureanism's moral system- pain is bad, etc.

Furthermore, the very fact that legal systems being invented is something we can trace instead of being 100,000+ years old indicates that they have been nonessential for most of human existence, so saying that they exist to "socially engineer" rather than acting as a system that emerged as a consequence of human societies developing to a greater size than that of one or two extended families is a fairly idiotic statement, because it supposes a prehistoric orgy of death that is invisible in the archaeological and paleontological record. So keep trying.

Yeah, the vendetta system largely kept the prehistoric orgy of death to a minimum, I already addressed that.

Also I'm having a hard time believing you can in good faith being having such a hosed up understanding of Epicurean morals but gently caress it, I'll bite. If I make a pizza that tastes delicious and brings me pleasure that is morally good under a Epicurean perspective, it doesn't mean that making the pizza was a moral decision, I was just loving hungry.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Jarmak posted:

Except your position is not "I don't want to get stabbed." It is "people should not be allowed to stab other people." Unless your actual position is that anti-stabbing law should only apply to you.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Jarmak posted:

Yeah, the vendetta system largely kept the prehistoric orgy of death to a minimum, I already addressed that.

Also I'm having a hard time believing you can in good faith being having such a hosed up understanding of Epicurean morals but gently caress it, I'll bite. If I make a pizza that tastes delicious and brings me pleasure that is morally good under a Epicurean perspective, it doesn't mean that making the pizza was a moral decision, I was just loving hungry.

I don't think there's much to go on here- you believe in an authoritarian state as necessary because we are inherently murderous and bloodthirsty, I consider this nonsense from an empirical perspective, and we won't agree without extensive evidence that doesn't exist.

However, the whole point of Epicureanism is that the seeking of pleasure, (in a particular definition of pleasure) and avoidance of pain are moral actions. You appear to have some insane definition of morality that you use to consider yourself amoral, or as most people would put it, monstrous.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

archangelwar posted:

Except your position is not "I don't want to get stabbed." It is "people should not be allowed to stab other people." Unless your actual position is that anti-stabbing law should only apply to you.
Or perhaps I recognize that other people would also prefer not to be stabbed, and we agree to some sort of mutual contract, in which I agree to not stab them and they agree not to stab me. There ought to be a word for this.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Or perhaps I recognize that other people would also prefer not to be stabbed, and we agree to some sort of mutual contract, in which I agree to not stab them and they agree not to stab me. There ought to be a word for this.

a moral system?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Effectronica posted:

I don't think there's much to go on here- you believe in an authoritarian state as necessary because we are inherently murderous and bloodthirsty, I consider this nonsense from an empirical perspective, and we won't agree without extensive evidence that doesn't exist.

Most of history and all of the stuff that happened before history but wasn't recorded?

E: People like Mahatma Gandhi are revered because they are outliers, not because they are an average human.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Kalman posted:

You know that happens, right? The battery syndrome case law isn't accepted everywhere and even where it is, there's a lot of pushback on it. It's taken sustained effort by a lot of people to change the default assumption that you look at the instantaneous circumstances, not the wider circumstances, and it was first brought in by literally arguing that the abuse was so pervasive that it literally robbed the victim of their reason - it was effectively a species of insanity defense.

This is exactly my point. When people talk about something needing to change they aren't or can't just point to a single law as if that's what would fix it. And it's frustrating to have the debate intentially shifted to arguing the legal aspects of only the event itself and trying to not look at the entire from start to finish, much less things that happened before it like how the gently caress did the cop who shot Rice still have a badge when most if not all previous supervisors flat out said he couldn't do the job.

I would even agree that sometimes trying to drop all the blame on the cop isn't completely fair. Guy who planted the tazer yes, but some are a cumulative problem of multiple systemic problems.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

a moral system?

That would imply that I gave a poo poo about their desire to remain unstabbed, or thought they deserved to remain unstabbed, rather than seeing greater utility in not having to be constantly be on guard against people trying to shank me than in being able to shank people when I want.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Yes, the laws making sodomy illegal were just about the utility to society that stems from nobody doing it in the butt.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Dead Reckoning posted:

So you have decided that stabbing is wrong and created a system that would help enforce proper behavior?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

archangelwar posted:

So you have decided that stabbing is wrong and created a system that would help enforce proper behavior?

No, he didn't say anything like that.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jarmak posted:

Yeah its not wrong, its called non-good! And instead of proper we call it not-stabby!

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Jarmak posted:

So if someone were to stab you, that would be correct and/or proper?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

archangelwar posted:

That would imply that I gave a poo poo about their desire to remain unstabbed, or thought they deserved to remain unstabbed, rather than seeing greater utility in not having to be constantly be on guard against people trying to shank me than in being able to stab people when I want.

Lemming posted:

Yes, the laws making sodomy illegal were just about the utility to society that stems from nobody doing it in the butt.
The fact that you keep bringing up awful laws that were enacted based on one group's ideas of what is moral isn't exactly a slam dunk case against my proposition that laws shouldn't be based on moral sentiment. We ought to limit ourselves to those laws necessary to the function of society. That way my neighbors don't try to make all the weird sex stuff I do illegal, and I don't try to make it illegal for them to worship their backwards moon gods, since it doesn't effect me. That way we can live in close proximity, work on mutually beneficial projects, and organize a way to defend ourselves against those people on the other side of the river who want to come over here, stab all of us, and take all our stuff.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 16, 2015

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Dead Reckoning posted:

That would imply that I gave a poo poo about their desire to remain unstabbed, or thought they deserved to remain unstabbed, rather than seeing greater utility in not having to be constantly be on guard against people trying to shank me than in being able to stab people when I want.

No it doesn't. Stabbing is either right or wrong, and stabby behavior is either proper or improper. Neither of these positions require you to give a poo poo outside of proscribing or encouraging behavior.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

archangelwar posted:

No it doesn't. Stabbing is either right or wrong, and stabby behavior is either proper or improper. Neither of these positions require you to give a poo poo outside of proscribing or encouraging behavior.

No see, only stabbing me is bad. Stabbing anyone else? who care!
:goonsay:

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Trabisnikof posted:

No see, only stabbing me is bad. Stabbing anyone else? who care!
:goonsay:

Then I applied a "utility judgement" which is totally different than "moral calculus" because I do not know words.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

archangelwar posted:

Triticum Guzzler posted:

a man falls through the earth and into parisian catacombs. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my nigga have u heard of the social contract"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

The fact that you keep bringing up awful laws that were enacted based on one group's ideas of what is moral isn't exactly a slam dunk case against my proposition that laws shouldn't be based on moral sentiment. We ought to limit ourselves to those laws necessary to the function of society. That way my neighbors don't try to make all the weird sex stuff I do illegal, and I don't try to make it illegal for them to worship their backwards moon gods, since it doesn't effect me. That way we can live in close proximity, work on mutually beneficial projects, and organize a way to defend ourselves against those people on the other side of the river who want to come over here, stab all of us, and take all our stuff.

This is a completely different argument than you've been making, which is

Dead Reckoning posted:

No, the law does not codify morality. Laws exist to manage the function of society, the relationship of citizens to the state and each other, and to protect our natural rights. The separation of church and state is an explicit denial of the idea that we should legislate morality. When California passed Prop 8, most people were disgusted, and rightly understood that using the law to enforce moral behavior rather prohibiting harmful behavior was wrong. I'm sure most of us think adultery is immoral, but I think most of us can also understand why it shouldn't be illegal. Being a citizen in a representative democracy means that you don't get to cross your arms and insist that the lawyers and government officials find a way to make the law comport with your feelings of right and wrong without wrestling with the consequences and full effects of what you propose. If you can't find a way to enact your beliefs without criminalizing conduct that should be legal, maybe you should reconsider whether or not your beliefs should be law that applies to all citizens.

No, because criminalizing his actions would involve criminalizing other behavior that I believe should remain lawful. Civil penalties? Maybe.

Because laws certainly do codify morality. Saying that you don't want them to is reasonable, though. But that's not what you've been arguing.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Where in this social contract does it state that mentally unstable cops can murder black children for playing cowboys and indians?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Well, in more topical news.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/16/nyregion/new-york-police-officer-is-convicted-of-lying-about-photographers-arrest.html

quote:

A New York police officer who arrested a photographer on assignment for The New York Times on a Bronx street in 2012 was convicted on Thursday of falsifying a record to justify the arrest.

The officer, Michael Ackermann, 32, was found guilty of a single felony count of offering a false instrument for filing. He was found not guilty of a second felony charge, falsifying business records.

Officer Ackermann had claimed the photographer, Robert Stolarik, interfered with the arrest of a suspect by repeatedly discharging his camera’s flash in his face. A subsequent investigation found that Mr. Stolarik did not own a flash or have one on his camera at the time.

Officer Ackermann was silent as Justice Michael A. Gross in State Supreme Court in the Bronx read the verdict after a bench trial that included emotional testimony from the officer, who admitted making a mistake. The judge did not offer an explanation for his decision.

Officer Ackermann, a 10-year veteran of the Police Department, has been on modified duty since being indicted in August 2013. He is scheduled to be sentenced on Dec. 2 and faces up to four years in prison, prosecutors said. After the verdict was announced, the department said Officer Ackermann had been suspended without pay.

Officer Ackermann testified during the trial that he had made an honest mistake when he claimed that Mr. Stolarik’s camera partially blinded him as he helped fellow officers make an arrest. He said he had mistaken ambient light at the scene for a camera flash.

“I couldn’t believe my mind processed it that way,” he testified. “I keep going over it, trying to figure out how I could make that big a mistake. I was taken aback. I can’t understand it.”

Officer Ackermann also testified that he had been struck lightly in the face by Mr. Stolarik’s Nikon camera, something he said he thought later might have been accidental. Mr. Stolarik has denied that his camera struck the officer.

During the trial, the prosecutor, Pishoy Yacoub, rejected Officer Ackermann’s explanation and contended that his actions had interfered with the freedom of the press and had subjected Mr. Stolarik to unlawful search and seizure, violating First and Fourth Amendment rights.

“He had to come up with an excuse for the arrest; he had to come up with a lie,” Mr. Yacoub said. “He made a very, very poor decision under pressure. But this case is not about mercy alone. It’s about justice and accountability.”

Mr. Stolarik, a freelance photographer who has worked for The Times for more than a decade, was taking pictures on Aug. 4, 2012, for a story about the Police Department’s use of stop-and-frisk tactics in the 44th Precinct when he saw officers arresting a young black woman near the intersection of McClellan Street and Sheridan Avenue.

After running over to take pictures of the episode, he was confronted, and arrested, by Officer Ackermann. Mr. Stolarik was charged with obstructing government administration and resisting arrest. The charges were later dropped.

Mr. Stolarik testified during the trial that he felt he had been treated “very, very aggressively” by Officer Ackermann and his fellow officers. When asked by Mr. Yacoub what had gone through his mind when the officers slammed him to the ground, Mr. Stolarik replied, “Whether or not I was going to die.”

During the trial, Mr. Martinez said Officer Ackermann had seen lights from his patrol car, from officers’ flashlights and from flashes from onlookers’ cellphone cameras at the time. Mr. Martinez argued it had been logical for his client to think those flashes were connected to Mr. Stolarik.

“There are a lot of reasons Michael Ackermann would have made the mistake he made; it was a sincere mistake,” Mr. Martinez said. “The normal layperson, when they see a camera that size, they would assume it had a flash. He put two and two together and he got the wrong answer.”

Lol that the cop seriously tried to claim with a straight face that he just "mistook" ambient light for "repeatedly discharging his camera’s flash in his face", but at least this one DA and a judge didn't buy the BS.

Of course, he was indicted in 2013 and still getting paid until just now...pretty nice.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Lemming posted:

This is a completely different argument than you've been making, which is

Because laws certainly do codify morality. Saying that you don't want them to is reasonable, though. But that's not what you've been arguing.
This entire discussion has been about the proper purpose of laws and what the law ought to be. Everyone but you understands this. What the hell is wrong with you? Is this some Borat-level troll?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

This entire discussion has been about the proper purpose of laws and what the law ought to be. Everyone but you understands this. What the hell is wrong with you? Is this some Borat-level troll?

The discussion started because you accused someone of being a barbarian because he felt that the cop getting off scott free after killing an unarmed child was wrong. Unfortunately for you, his sentiment of feeling like someone did something wrong and the law should have lined up in such a way that the guy who did something wrong broke a law, is how laws are created or changed in America; we feel a certain way about something, based largely on our morals, then vote for the people who promise to make the rules line up with how we feel. I'm not surprised that you don't really understand what's going on, because we've somehow gotten to the point where your buddy Jarmak had to clarify that you never actually said "stabbing is wrong" so how can laws and morals have anything to do with each other :shepface:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Of course, he was indicted in 2013 and still getting paid until just now...pretty nice.

I don't think I disagree with paying him until the verdict is delivered. Remove him from the streets, place on paid leave, sure; but I don't like the precedent that you get fired for being accused of wrongdoing. There's possibly a complaint to be leveled that the wheels of justice took too long reaching their conclusion, but that's a separate issue.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Grundulum posted:

I don't think I disagree with paying him until the verdict is delivered. Remove him from the streets, place on paid leave, sure; but I don't like the precedent that you get fired for being accused of wrongdoing. There's possibly a complaint to be leveled that the wheels of justice took too long reaching their conclusion, but that's a separate issue.

Precedent??? People in this country are fired every single day for even the faintest hint of wrongdoing. I don't agree with it; but let's not act like it's not something that already occurs.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Yeah, but it's bad when they're fired when they might not have actually done anything wrong. Crab bucket and all that, just because cops have a good thing and other people don't doesn't mean you should take it away from them, it means everyone should have it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

Yeah, but it's bad when they're fired when they might not have actually done anything wrong. Crab bucket and all that, just because cops have a good thing and other people don't doesn't mean you should take it away from them, it means everyone should have it.

A NYPD investigation found he lied on a report. Regardless of it is a crime or not, shouldn't that be a fireable offense?

I think employers should be able to fire employees who lie even if it isn't a criminal lie. Especially when those employees are in positions of public trust.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

As I said: I don't agree with it. But the concept isn't new or precedent-setting.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

C2C - 2.0 posted:

As I said: I don't agree with it. But the concept isn't new or precedent-setting.

I still think lying to your employer is a classic case for firing an employee. Doubly so when that employee is in a position of trust or authority.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dead Reckoning posted:

Going by the picture and context, your belief that two open carry dorks represented an imminent threat would not be reasonable.

Why not? He's walking around a chipotle, holding a rifle, ready to shoot people. What if he flinches or makes an angry face at me or moves the gun slightly? Should I have to wait until he's already attacked in order to defend myself?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
They probably could have fired him, but just didn't. I agree that they should have, though. I'd be worried about giving them too much authority in internal investigations to be able to fire people, though, because then they could just railroad someone if they wanted.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

The discussion started because you accused someone of being a barbarian because he felt that the cop getting off scott free after killing an unarmed child was wrong. Unfortunately for you, his sentiment of feeling like someone did something wrong and the law should have lined up in such a way that the guy who did something wrong broke a law, is how laws are created or changed in America; we feel a certain way about something, based largely on our morals, then vote for the people who promise to make the rules line up with how we feel. I'm not surprised that you don't really understand what's going on, because we've somehow gotten to the point where your buddy Jarmak had to clarify that you never actually said "stabbing is wrong" so how can laws and morals have anything to do with each other :shepface:

Holy poo poo you're loving stupid, the conversation moved past that like a page ago. Laws certainly can codify morality, we're on to you idiots now trying to argue there can be no possible way to justify criminal law besides the codification of morality.

It's like understanding that two different frameworks can reach the same conclusion is too much to handle.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jarmak posted:

It's like understanding that two different frameworks can reach the same conclusion is too much to handle.
Except one person is arguing that they're not using a framework at all, that's what's so crazy. One person has decided that they've defined "moral framework" in such a way that their moral framework doesn't count as one.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lemming posted:

They probably could have fired him, but just didn't. I agree that they should have, though. I'd be worried about giving them too much authority in internal investigations to be able to fire people, though, because then they could just railroad someone if they wanted.

Derail, but everyone should look at the protections the police unions offer and want that for themselves. It never bothers me when the police union guys go to the media and poo poo talk the brass or prosecutors who go after cops because that's their duty to their union members. It's hilarious when they go too far off the deep end, but it's like having a defense attorney, they'll say whatever they need to to defend their client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Precedent??? People in this country are fired every single day for even the faintest hint of wrongdoing. I don't agree with it; but let's not act like it's not something that already occurs.

Fair enough. I worded it poorly. Lemming and PostNouveau both restated what I wanted to say, and I think they did a better job of it.

• Locked thread