Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

As long as Infect isn't involved I'm okay with this.

Honestly, I'd like to see infect with proliferate come back, but with a far stronger lean on non-aggressive archetypes. Proliferating someone to death with Infect Control sounds kick rear end.

edit: Also, Sigma, need deck list today for Thunderdome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
reprint leeches but have it draw you a card and gain a life for each counter removed imo

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just think it would be cool to see a Planeswalker with no + ability, but a "{0}: Proliferate" ability.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ramos posted:

Honestly, I'd like to see infect with proliferate come back, but with a far stronger lean on non-aggressive archetypes. Proliferating someone to death with Infect Control sounds kick rear end.

edit: Also, Sigma, need deck list today for Thunderdome.

I have a Proliferate Commander deck, I can confirm that messing dudes up with Viral Drake is the poo poo.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can imagine the original design involved her keeping +1/+1 counters in the command zone before they decided this was easier.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Chamale posted:

I have a Proliferate Commander deck, I can confirm that messing dudes up with Viral Drake is the poo poo.

Just played a game with this on Magic Online again, who needs Vault-Key when you can assemble Magistrate's Scepter-Power Conduit-Contagion Engine?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I can imagine the original design involved her keeping +1/+1 counters in the command zone before they decided this was easier.

I'm pretty sure that using experience counters was the whole point of the design

Here's a crazy prediction: there will be multiple cards referencing experience counters; each one will have their own trigger, so they can be self-contained but get better in multiples; and they will have more diverse effects than +1/+1

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Chapin's Machine Red deck was the coolest proliferate deck. It was never tier 1, mostly because it could never beat Valukt, but man was it a blast to play. The name was super appropriate too because once you get the machine running, you can't stop it. Multiple vindicates a turn through lux cannon would just lock people out of the game. One of the main win conditions was getting an early hit with a necropede and then proliferating it up to 10. You could also wreck people with a turn 4 destructive force. And then of course the nut draw of turn 3 Koth ultimate.
Turn 1: Mountain, Voltaic Key, Mox Opal
Turn 2: Mountain, Chalice for 1, Throne of Geth
Turn 3: Mountain, Koth
Tap Throne of Geth saccing Voltaic Key, in response use key to untap throne, Tap Throne saccing itself. Ult Koth.

Even without the nut draw, koth and Chandra were pretty much ulting the turn they hit the board if you wanted them to. I keep wanting to adapt the engine to modern, maybe with Tezz instead of koth, but its just a slow clunky engine and the pieces are hard to cut.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I assume you sac Mox first not key, since you can't use key to untap throne (sacrificing key is part of the cost, and you can't respond to it).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mikujin posted:

I assume you sac Mox first not key, since you can't use key to untap throne (sacrificing key is part of the cost, and you can't respond to it).

You could activate key, and sacrifice key in response to that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

eSporks posted:

Chapin's Machine Red deck was the coolest proliferate deck. It was never tier 1, mostly because it could never beat Valukt, but man was it a blast to play. The name was super appropriate too because once you get the machine running, you can't stop it. Multiple vindicates a turn through lux cannon would just lock people out of the game. One of the main win conditions was getting an early hit with a necropede and then proliferating it up to 10. You could also wreck people with a turn 4 destructive force. And then of course the nut draw of turn 3 Koth ultimate.
Turn 1: Mountain, Voltaic Key, Mox Opal
Turn 2: Mountain, Chalice for 1, Throne of Geth
Turn 3: Mountain, Koth
Tap Throne of Geth saccing Voltaic Key, in response use key to untap throne, Tap Throne saccing itself. Ult Koth.

Even without the nut draw, koth and Chandra were pretty much ulting the turn they hit the board if you wanted them to. I keep wanting to adapt the engine to modern, maybe with Tezz instead of koth, but its just a slow clunky engine and the pieces are hard to cut.

I still want to find a way to get the best ultimate ever, which is using Sarkhan Unbroken's -8 to retrieve all 5 Dragonlords to win on the spot.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Angry Grimace posted:

I still want to find a way to get the best ultimate ever, which is using Sarkhan Unbroken's -8 to retrieve all 5 Dragonlords to win on the spot.

You could have a Doubling Season on the table when you play Sarkhan. But for my money the best ult is still Koth's, using your mountains to machine-gun everything is just too fun.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

Okay so to get an experience trigger and benefit from it we need to:

have one specific card on the board in the entirety of Magic.
cast a particular subset of cards to gain one counter

There may be other ways to get experience counters. something like

RW
Instant
You get an experience counter, then ~ deals X damage to target creature or player and you gain X life, where X is equal to the number of experience counters you have.

By itself it is a lovely lightning helix. not good enough for legacy to prompt people to play them. Not on its own good enough to play in singleton formats like commander. In an "Experience Deck" it might be completely absurd, which is good for casual crowds, which is who edh is made for anyway.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I wonder if they're making such a parasitic mechanic as a way to push the power level of the new cards in the Commander product without having them bleed over into Legacy.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mr. Peepers posted:

I wonder if they're making such a parasitic mechanic as a way to push the power level of the new cards in the Commander product without having them bleed over into Legacy.

"As True-Experience Nemesis enters the battlefield, choose an opponent for each experience counter you have. True-Experience Nemesis has protection from each player chosen this way."

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Or maybe they aren't making a parasitic mechanic that can only appear on a maximum of 15 cards in a supplemental product.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

My assumption that experience counters will appear only on a single cycle, one commander per deck. They'll all be costed on the assumption that you're not running any other experience counter cards, and R&D won't consider the mechanic parasitic because you'll be so unlikely to get more than one anyhow. None of the five cards will see legacy or vintage play.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I want there to be one Experience Counters card that somehow sees fringe play in Infect decks just to make things more difficult for the coverage graphics team.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Why are you people trying to glean so loving much from one card

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Because this thread is most entertaining during spoiler season and I'm trying to capture some of that feeling. :colbert:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheKingofSprings posted:

Have you read this thread?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
The commander is going to be the only card with experience counters but jesus christ trying to turn it into a mechanic would be loving dreadful.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
http://kuow.org/post/seattle-designer-how-gaming-culture-changing

Mark Rosewater is such a loving nerd.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Look at this nerd, I bet he plays with lands in front of his creatures as well.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

Because a RW guy that owns ground combat is nothing new and the experience counter mechanic is the interesting part.

Kalemne is better out-of-the-box at dominating non-flying board states than these fellows sure but still there's only so much out of attacking and blocking to discuss. But strange counters? I love strange counters!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Not to mention it might be indicative of a mechanic across the entire release; sorry we are talking about Magic in the Magic thread I guess?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Boco_T posted:

Can someone repost efro.jpg so I can save it to my hard drive

i didn't see anyone else hook you up so here you go

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

bhsman posted:

Not to mention it might be indicative of a mechanic across the entire release; sorry we are talking about Magic in the Magic thread I guess?

Have they printed new mechanics across Commander products before?

They certainly enjoy printing new rules on the Commanders themselves that facilitate a type of deckbuilding, but they've never rolled out a bunch of new cards on a theme.

I'll toxx myself on this, there will be 1 card in the new Commander set that has Experience Counters.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well, spoilers start on Monday supposedly, if it does happen, it'll be fast.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

AgentSythe posted:

Gets me every time.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sigma-X posted:

They certainly enjoy printing new rules on the Commanders themselves that facilitate a type of deckbuilding, but they've never rolled out a bunch of new cards on a theme.

I'll toxx myself on this, there will be 1 card in the new Commander set that has Experience Counters.

I see no reason for them to make this new type of counter solely for this one commander. Either it'll be several cards in that one deck that care about experience counters, or maybe one or two cards in each deck. There's so many more elegant ways to do that giant's card rather than that cumbersome experience counter trigger plus static ability.

e: I don't remember if I asked this before, but for you Pucatraders - is there a way to import a list of wants into Pucatrade? I'm about to add a couple hundred wanted cards, and I'm not going to want to search for each card. I'll have a list of them typed up, and I could easily import that into my haves, but I don't see a way to do that for my wants.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 16, 2015

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sigma-X posted:

Not necessarily new ones but 2013 had a definite "Casting your commander a lot matters" theme between Prossh. I doubt they made up Experience Counters just for one creature when a simpler mechanic would've sufficed.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

AgentSythe posted:

Thanks, also despite the timing of asking for it right after the announced engagement I love Efro and Athena and love how happy they are together. I just need that image, to have.

Hellsau posted:

e: I don't remember if I asked this before, but for you Pucatraders - is there a way to import a list of wants into Pucatrade? I'm about to add a couple hundred wanted cards, and I'm not going to want to search for each card. I'll have a list of them typed up, and I could easily import that into my haves, but I don't see a way to do that for my wants.
I don't see the option anywhere. I have Silver on there and it doesn't seem to be a Silver or Gold feature either.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
They've had new keywords in commander. Tempting offer, Lieutenant, and Join forces.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

Yes, they have. The first one had the Join Forces cards, 2013 had Tempting Offer, and 2014 had the Lieutenants.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I think the real question is which story you'd rather tell your kids:

"I proposed to your mom in the middle of a Magic: the Gathering tournament" OR "I proposed to your mom in the middle of a John Cena match at a Monday Night Raw."

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Angry Grimace posted:

I think the real question is which story you'd rather tell your kids:

"I proposed to your mom in the middle of a Magic: the Gathering tournament" OR "I proposed to your mom in the middle of a John Cena match at a Monday Night Raw."

Depends on if you're John Cena or not. Definitely don't want to be Cena's opponent the night he proposes on Raw!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Depends on if you're John Cena or not. Definitely don't want to be Cena's opponent the night he proposes on Raw!

The setup here is that you are not a person in the match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4tz5w6HoNA

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Sigma-X posted:

"PLANESWALKERNAME can be your commander."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AgentSythe posted:

I love how it's a left-right progression from best to worst dressed. You know efro's got jeans on under the table there.

• Locked thread