Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
It's OK to reschedule as much as you need to. Make sure you're feeling fully practiced and confident before diving in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I have a 10 year goal to get CCIE certified. I'm not even CCNA yet. :sigh:

Take it step by step. Start with CCNA (which can be taken in two parts), work your way up through each of the CCNPs. Start with SWITCH, then ROUTE, then work into TSHOOT. Don't use dumps, try to understand the material. For the CCNP I recommend the foundation learning guides for each of the tests as a starting point.

Your jobs should start getting progressively more advanced as you go taking on more responsibility. If you can get on at a VAR they'll give you exposure to a lot of different environments where you'll start seeing more esoteric features/designs being deployed. If you do a good job they'll probably even invest in training you and paying for your lab since a CCIE in any discipline addresses partner requirements which means more margin on deals for the partner. Most VARs will have no trouble covering the cost for a couple of attempts (you'll likely fail your first so don't be discouraged) but it's a drop in the bucket compared to the befit. Odds are it will get paid for out of MDF anyway.

10 years is a completely reasonable timeframe.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I'm sorry if this has been covered. But are there any good mobile apps for studying for any certifications? I've been looking at some CompTIA ones but I've found there are some errors. I can't seem to find any well reviewed ones anywhere.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I might end up just doing CCIE R&S since half the poo poo in the Security exam is deprecated or EoL and it doesn't look like they're going to refresh it soon. No point in spending all of that time learning about old stuff.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

psydude posted:

I might end up just doing CCIE R&S since half the poo poo in the Security exam is deprecated or EoL and it doesn't look like they're going to refresh it soon. No point in spending all of that time learning about old stuff.

They're refreshing in December. Dec 1 is the last date to schedule the current exam. I tried rushing through to take the exam before then but decided that I'd rather get certified on the new stuff since CCP sucks balls.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

They're refreshing in December. Dec 1 is the last date to schedule the current exam. I tried rushing through to take the exam before then but decided that I'd rather get certified on the new stuff since CCP sucks balls.

Do you have a link to the press release? I know the CCNA/CCNP are getting refreshed, but I was under the impression that they hadn't announced anything about the CCIE yet.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

psydude posted:

I know the CCNA/CCNP are getting refreshed

When's that? I've similarly had bad luck finding any info on the ICND1/2 exams getting updated.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

The CCNA was just refreshed two years ago. How often do they update them?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

rafikki posted:

The CCNA was just refreshed two years ago. How often do they update them?

Yeah, feels a little soon to me, too? The last change was pretty huge, too.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Yeah, feels a little soon to me, too? The last change was pretty huge, too.

We were referring to the security exams. I thought he was taking about CCNA security, which is being updated in December, but I have no idea if they're changing the ccie with it.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
I thought the CCNP Security was just revamped? The current version has an entire test dedicated to ISE.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Judge Schnoopy posted:

We were referring to the security exams. I thought he was taking about CCNA security, which is being updated in December, but I have no idea if they're changing the ccie with it.

Ah, got it. Sorry for butting in then.

In CCNA news, I'm going to finally sign up for ICND1 today. Thinking late November, maybe even on black Friday. Should be plenty of time... I'm actually taking next week off, mostly to screw around and do nothing, but I'm also going to do a lot of studying too.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Just failed lx0-103 with a 370... Like half of the questions weren't covered at all by the uCertify WGU provided. The course mentor sent me a PDF like a week ago after I requested my voucher with 30 pages of questions/answers for this exam that weren't anywhere in the uCertify.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Before I started studying for the CCNA it intimidated me, because all I knew was that it was a really tough tech cert. Now that I have it, I look at the CCNP the exact same way. I know all I have to do is start studying but hell if it doesn't look like a mountain from this side.

I'm pretty intimidated by 70-410 myself. I'm used to school where you knew more or less what to expect. Now I just have a nebulous list of objectives and some 2000 pages of material from various books that may not even be enough.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

crunk dork posted:

Just failed lx0-103 with a 370... Like half of the questions weren't covered at all by the uCertify WGU provided. The course mentor sent me a PDF like a week ago after I requested my voucher with 30 pages of questions/answers for this exam that weren't anywhere in the uCertify.

Ucertify sucks, and I'm stuck doing another class this semester

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

ElGroucho posted:

Ucertify sucks, and I'm stuck doing another class this semester

It's 100% fail and I should have known when I was reading it and half the poo poo didn't seem useful. I'm overnighting the Sybex and forcing myself to use Debian solely at home until I grow a nasty rear end beard and contract HIV

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I have full Cisco test lab with a bunch of routers and switches. But I need something that can simulate workstations. Does anyone know a device that can send and receive pings, has configurable IP settings (IP address, subnet, gateway) and is cheap because I'm going to need around 10. Im not having much luck finding anything by Googling it.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

I have full Cisco test lab with a bunch of routers and switches. But I need something that can simulate workstations. Does anyone know a device that can send and receive pings, has configurable IP settings (IP address, subnet, gateway) and is cheap because I'm going to need around 10. Im not having much luck finding anything by Googling it.

Routers in GNS3 with no ip route command, loopback interface configured on the PC running it, and then hook the dumb routers to the cloud device in GNS3 after assigning it the loopback interface you created. That would work right?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

crunk dork posted:

Routers in GNS3 with no ip route command, loopback interface configured on the PC running it, and then hook the dumb routers to the cloud device in GNS3 after assigning it the loopback interface you created. That would work right?

Im not sure I understand what youre saying. Im not using GS3, I mean I have a test lab made of real equipment. Thats why Im having a hard time figuring out how to simulate workstations since I dont have a bunch of computers to hook up to it. I could get some raspberry pis but that would be pretty expensive if I got 5+ of them.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Use a bunch of virtual machines?

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream

Charliegrs posted:

Obsolete thin clients from ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-10-Wyse-VX0-V10LE-WTOS-1-2GHz-902178-01L-Thin-Clients-w-Power-Supplies-/381437702143?roken=cUgayN&soutkn=F0nDGE

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Charliegrs posted:

Im not sure I understand what youre saying. Im not using GS3, I mean I have a test lab made of real equipment. Thats why Im having a hard time figuring out how to simulate workstations since I dont have a bunch of computers to hook up to it. I could get some raspberry pis but that would be pretty expensive if I got 5+ of them.

Why don't you use loop back addresses

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

yeah i get you, but you can hook virtual devices in GNS3 to physical devices via a cloud device (in GNS3) that's configured with an actual interface on your PC. you can create an extra loopback through the Add Hardware option in control panel on windows, and then assign that interface a static IP that will allow it to talk to the other devices it's plugged into in GNS3. So set up the cloud device, hook it into an eth switch, and then go hog wild with routers with "no ip route" or the virtual host devices if they work well enough for you.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Raspberry Pis are like $25 a piece, probably less if you get the older models. If you're savvy with python you could probably script network traffic of various types to spew constantly from them, better mimicking a live network.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
My CEH expires in April, and now that I have a reason to attempt to renew it, I'm not sure what the best way forward is for the continuing education credits. What sort of self-study options are the best way to go?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Question for you security folks: Is there any real difference in candidacy between somebody who has an OSCP and somebody who has an OSCP + CCNP (all other things being equal)? I feel like the CCNP is just a bit of fluff here, but maybe it's dependent on the actual network infrastructure that will be worked with.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Question for you security folks: Is there any real difference in candidacy between somebody who has an OSCP and somebody who has an OSCP + CCNP (all other things being equal)? I feel like the CCNP is just a bit of fluff here, but maybe it's dependent on the actual network infrastructure that will be worked with.

wat. I'd put about 5 times as much stock in the CCNP as the OSCP, especially since most security certifications are full of crap. Now if the position is purely penetration testing then I guess the CCNP is sort of overkill, but even then.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

So don't be a dink and let the CCNP expire; go renew that poo poo. Gotcha. (I still have some number of months)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If you have R&S, just retake TSHOOT to refresh it. If you have Security, take TSHOOT anyway to refresh it.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Yeah I just have R&S. Haven't really thought the CCNP-Security as something I want just yet.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Yeah I just have R&S. Haven't really thought the CCNP-Security as something I want just yet.

I'm thinking about CCNP Sec as I just finished CCNP R/S and have my CCNA Sec and Sec+.

Anyone finish the CCNP Sec stuff recently? 4 tests sounds like a pain in the dick. It took me ~8 months just to get through the 3 tests and material for R/S, not really looking forward to 4 tests/books.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

psydude posted:

wat. I'd put about 5 times as much stock in the CCNP as the OSCP, especially since most security certifications are full of crap. Now if the position is purely penetration testing then I guess the CCNP is sort of overkill, but even then.

Definitely depends on the position. If it's a pure security role (analyst,engineer, etc) no one is going to care about your CCNP. If you're doing something like network security, then sure. However, letting cents lapse is silly, you put all that work in why not keep it current?

If it was someone considering CCNP who didn't already have it, I'd say skip it.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

psydude posted:

Isn't the OSCP a 24 hour lab based break into a bunch of stuff test? Doubt it's easy.

As to CCNP vs OSCP; they are in very different disciplines. Not sure how many job roles would realistically require both.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
LX0-103 retake took me 25 minutes including reviewing questions I flagged and then reviewing all questions again, passed with a 660, feels like power

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Just retake Tshoot man, it has to be one of the easiest things to recertify.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Mugaaz posted:

Just retake Tshoot man, it has to be one of the easiest things to recertify.

Exactly my plan. Already scheduled.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Working on my VCP right now... I am seriously lacking motivation. I got my lab built up but I just can't get myself to dig into things.

Anyone got any tips for getting motivated or words of encouragement to kick my rear end into gear? I've got a few months to get the cert done for a personal work goal. Got the other certs done on my list and this is the last one for the list and then next year Ill jump back into my networking certs.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Langolas posted:

Working on my VCP right now... I am seriously lacking motivation. I got my lab built up but I just can't get myself to dig into things.

Anyone got any tips for getting motivated or words of encouragement to kick my rear end into gear? I've got a few months to get the cert done for a personal work goal. Got the other certs done on my list and this is the last one for the list and then next year Ill jump back into my networking certs.
Have your work offer you a bonus for passing. I sat on my Stanly class for a year before getting off my rear end to study.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Langolas posted:

The biggest kick in the rear end I ever gave myself was to interview for a job with Google. I spent a LOT of time preparing for it, boning up on everything I could think of, made it to the very last phase of the process... and finally didn't get an offer because I didn't meet their technical bar in multiple areas. And this was just like a normal, not particularly exciting sysadmin job. The silver lining was that it pissed me off and I kept studying even harder, and the next interview that came along (which was for a very substantial raise and a great career move, though no Google) I absolutely destroyed.

So... go interview for the job you want to have when you're done with these certs. Best case, you just get it. If not, getting tossed out might be sufficiently motivating :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Langolas posted:

It's extremely difficult to stay motivated over a period of several months, but my co-worker (he's a virtualization admin like me) likes to have daily appointments pop up in his calendar to remind him to study a particular chapter in the study guide, or do a practice exam. It works well for him since we actually have a lot of time available to study at work (most of our duties are monitoring, and even if we do find something more than likely we let someone else know so they can fix it).

As for myself, I gave myself a deadline, drew up a plan of action, then broke everything down on a calendar so I could stay on course. There was some slack, but not much, so there was always the feeling of an impending deadline. It was a good thing too - I actually got my job only as a result of having my VCP right after the incumbent resigned. Had I let my deadline slip by more than 2 weeks I would have missed out on the job opportunity. I really wanted off the weekend and swing shifts, so it gave me sufficient determination and motivation to finish up so I could find another job.