Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Libluini posted:

That's because he forgot to upgrade his FSD. It's still a D. 15 ly/jump with a proper A-class.

Doh

Make that 88 million

Too bad the next few days are hell of busy or I would just poopsock to get this because gotta admit I'm chubbin right now

The hardest part will be the rep though :/

Siets posted:

Now if we could just do something about the god awful chain interdictions. :suicide:

I got dicted by a dude named Sirius Authority or something like that in an Asp

Beat his rear end, got my 400 credits (totally worth my time right)

Got back into FSD, 5 seconds later, dicted again

It's Sirius again but this time he's in an Eagle

Why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sirius Authority's a power play thing.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

:siren: ATTENTION SMUGGLERS :siren:

Here's one crazy trick to prevent your rear end from being scanned by the po-po:

Pop a chaff

You can't be scanned while chaff is active!

Old Johnny Law Hates this trick!
We had a discussion in IRC yesterday and the consensus is that Chaff doesn't really help all that much. :v:

Edit:
oh good. When we had the discussion I was sure it worked, but then I got scanned through chaff anyway and thought I was going crazy. That is still a possibility, but at least in this case I was recalling correctly.
\/\/\/\/\/\/

radintorov fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 15, 2015

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Chaff use to work, but they fixed it for the police

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

radintorov posted:

We had a discussion in IRC yesterday and the consensus is that Chaff doesn't really help all that much. :v:

Silent running is a bit more helpful yes. Heat sinks while silent running, too. Sensors rely on heat to make thinks like lock-ons and scans work

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

:siren: ATTENTION SMUGGLERS :siren:

Here's one crazy trick to prevent your rear end from being scanned by the po-po:

Pop a chaff

You can't be scanned while chaff is active!

Old Johnny Law Hates this trick!

Option #2.

Just let them scan you and laugh off a the 1% loss.

I was super paranoid about getting scanned until it happened and I saw the fine was only 10k. After that I stopped caring.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Literally Kermit posted:

Silent running is a bit more helpful yes. Heat sinks while silent running, too. Sensors rely on heat to make thinks like lock-ons and scans work

iirc silent running immediately reduces your heat signature to zero and makes you invisible to sensors, so that your only worry while it is active is having your ship overheat and getting within hugging distance of other ships. That hasn't changed, right?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Slashrat posted:

iirc silent running immediately reduces your heat signature to zero and makes you invisible to sensors, so that your only worry while it is active is having your ship overheat and getting within hugging distance of other ships. That hasn't changed, right?

AI ships doesn't play by the same rules as player ships - they have unlimited ammo, ignored chaff until recently (iirc?) ignore the heat mechanic, ignore stars/planets effect on their speed in SC and appearently doesn't care about silent running.

If you don't want to get fined when docking then just line up with the mailslot 6-7km out and fly toward it at ~200km/h.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why are you paying the fines at all

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

frank.club posted:

I pay them to get them out of my transactions screen. Is there another way to do that?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

frank.club posted:

lol if you pay fines, i just let them accrue and see how high it can get.

Oh, and just don't blow up after being docked in a station that fined you. Civ-Space is big enough that racking up a bounty doesn't matter

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I've been smuggling in an Anaconda because I don't give a gently caress. It's got range, it's got cargo, and most importantly, it's got a fun surprise for the parade of NPC interdictions I pick up along all these missions out of Sothis and Ceo. I just fly out to exactly 7.5km straight from the slot, hit boost, and then turn the docking computer on while I lean back and cackle at the spacecops. Haven't gotten a single completed scan thus far :smugbert:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Just got my X52 pro and :iia: Feels like rediscovering the game all over again.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
Chaff, Silent Running, Sinks you name it don't stop scans for poo poo. At large stations just beeline from 7kms straight through the toast rack, for Police interdictions submit, boost and engage cruise (not hyper). If they follow you to an outpost, well you'll eat the fine.

The fine isn't scary, it loving tanks your faction rep though.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
Shine helped me a bit before I had to run to an emergency at work. Plugged my 360 pad in, and managed to dock and land without killing myself and complete the combat tutorials just to check out the pew. Mission successful :riker:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Xae posted:

Option #2.

Just let them scan you and laugh off a the 1% loss.

I was super paranoid about getting scanned until it happened and I saw the fine was only 10k. After that I stopped caring.

Yeah, if there was anything I would be pleased with them "taking away" from the players, it would be the ability to sell stolen goods at a station after you've been scanned by that station's security. It should be seized when you land. :colbert:

Make smuggling feel like... smuggling.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 15, 2015

Magnaflux
Jun 28, 2007
I've found if you don't request docking until you are less than 4 km out, you have a better chance of making it in unscanned if you're trying to bring in illegal goods.

If you do the usual, and request docking at the normal 7.5 km zone, the station shares your location with the local cops and you end up as a candidate for scanning.

Watch around the mail slot too, if there's cops swarming all over it, stay the hell away.

Same thing when your leaving stations for smuggling. Haul rear end asap and keep away from the cops because they will scan you on the way out too.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
True smugglers just boost into the slot and get scanned if it happens and slams into the landing pad to just barely take down your shields.

A perfect landing and none of that reverse thrust to halt your momentum crap.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Does your ship size influence how often you get scanned? When I switched from the Dbs to the vulture it seemed like I got scanned a lot more frequently but that was at the same time as 1.4 dropped.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

They've said ship type affects it, so something nondescript should get scanned a lot less than something exotic or unusual.

They specifically mentioned the Cobra as being a good smuggler because it's the galaxy's workhorse. By the same token, smuggling in an iClip is probably not a good idea.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I''m switching modes but the offered missions aren't changing

I'm only up to ~24m of smuggling runs

why

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I've found that sometimes after a few mode swaps the missions stop regenerating reliably until I actually restart the game completely. No idea how or why, though.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I''m switching modes but the offered missions aren't changing

I'm only up to ~24m of smuggling runs

why

If you're switching to open, and there are others there, they might be holding an instance open - it won't actually refresh the board. If this is the case, try private/solo instead.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

radintorov posted:

In my iClipper I'm going with at least 4 limpet drones, and even then I have to wait (although not too much).
Since you are in a Python, you'll want to consider having 7 like Shine does. :)

o7, was running some Fed assassin mission yesterday. Will go back and give it a go later.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Dante80 posted:

Seems like Mac players are kinda hosed. :/

Apple always had abysmal support for gaming. I have a mac myself and it simply sucks for gaming.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Alright well, I'm still tempted to get a Federal Assault Ship, especially after some of the conversations in here regarding it. Here is my current build (not being too combat-focused - I do still want to have a hold to be able to multi-role a little), which costs a total of 79.3mil spacebux. So, with me being slightly rusty and generally inexperienced with building up ships, can any of you spot any glaring flaws with it? Any and all information would be greatly appreciated!

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Major Isoor posted:

Alright well, I'm still tempted to get a Federal Assault Ship, especially after some of the conversations in here regarding it. Here is my current build (not being too combat-focused - I do still want to have a hold to be able to multi-role a little), which costs a total of 79.3mil spacebux. So, with me being slightly rusty and generally inexperienced with building up ships, can any of you spot any glaring flaws with it? Any and all information would be greatly appreciated!

Hull reinforcement is a good idea, I'm not sure if the weak-ish shields are really worth boosting. Unless you plan on doing PvP in your FAS, I'd ditch the point defense (perhaps chaff?)

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Lol if you ain't rocking 2x chaff on everything that can fit it

Never not chaff

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Alright then, well how about this for utilities?

FSD wake scanner x1
KWS x1
Chaff x2

I've never actually used an FSD though, so I'm not sure about its usefulness.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Don't bother with a Wake scanner unless you plan to hunt players (And even then its kinda useless).

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Serious talk though, I personally really like double chaff but it's not necessary or anything. I think 1x chaff at minimum is definitely good because it's useful to get gimballed and turreted weapons off you, and I like having 2 to chain them if needed.

Plus popping off chaff and flares looks cool

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Don't bother with a Wake scanner unless you plan to hunt players (And even then its kinda useless).

Alright then, thanks for the heads-up. I might just dump a shield booster on it, or something.
(Also, that Sothis smuggling trick is still ongoing, right? Because I'm really gonna need a boost to my funds to be able to afford all this)

EDIT: ^^^ Eh, well, it's not like I've got any better ideas for that second chaff slot anyway, now that the wake scanner has been ruled out :v:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 16, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Major Isoor posted:

Alright then, thanks for the heads-up. I might just dump a shield booster on it, or something.
(Also, that Sothis smuggling trick is still ongoing, right? Because I'm really gonna need a boost to my funds to be able to afford all this)

EDIT: ^^^ Eh, well, it's not like I've got any better ideas for that second chaff slot anyway, now that the wake scanner has been ruled out :v:
Yeah Sothis runs are still a thing. Get as many as you can in while you still can in-case they decide to nerf it!

I am curious as to why you chose to put the multicannons in the large slots, and went with C2 beams though. Personally I'd go with C3 pulses in the large slots and put the multicannons in the medium slots. According to coriolis you'd be doing the same DPS against hull with that setup, and more DPS against shields, and I'm sure you'll have a much easier time WEP power wise because beams are power hogs.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

drat I get a lot of spam when dropping into systems

EAGER MERCHANTS WANT TO CHAT WITH >YOU< NOW

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Insert name here posted:

Yeah Sothis runs are still a thing. Get as many as you can in while you still can in-case they decide to nerf it!

I am curious as to why you chose to put the multicannons in the large slots, and went with C2 beams though. Personally I'd go with C3 pulses in the large slots and put the multicannons in the medium slots. According to coriolis you'd be doing the same DPS against hull with that setup, and more DPS against shields, and I'm sure you'll have a much easier time WEP power wise because beams are power hogs.

Hm, yeah that's true, I must admit I hadn't put a tremendous amount of thought into those weapon slots - I just knew I want to have x2 beams (I would've gone for pulse, but beam=:black101:) and x2 multi-cannons. I've swapped them around now though, as advised

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

How to smuggle

Some of you guys are really over complicating it.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

How to smuggle

The flip to slow down once inside the station didn't result in being directly over the landing pad. No one buys smuggled goods from those who can't back flip directly onto a landing pad.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

How to smuggle

Yeh uh the hardest part was convincing myself guns were dead weight

Here's my Sothis run that I did today. Not nearly the worst thing, just sort of a time investment. I'm pretty bad so if I can pull this off anyone can, tbh!

First off for my loadout I sold all my guns and extra poo poo, including scanners. I kept my regular sensors and shields due to paranoia. I decided to grab an Advanced scanner at the last second for a few extra credits.

First thing I saw on my run is SON OF A BITCH WHY ARE THESE LOCAL AND ALSO ABOVE MY TRADE LEVEL

Screenshot with destination set. Uggh.

First refuel stop. The hardest part about refueling is either not falling asleep or not having a panic attack if it's two extremely close stars.

Sort of there!

I've arrived, first order of business, a few extra bucks for scans. Overall it's a drop but for literally zero effort, since the scans complete before FSD is ready between jumps, why not?

After hours of switching modes and waiting, here's the final loadout. Was having poo poo luck at Sothis so grabbed a 1m run to Ceos in hopes it would fill me. It did not.

Route back from Ceos to first stop. I chose the order by the reward since it roughly increases in value by distance, so shortest reward was first and possibly closest.

Pretty boring after this. Dodging dicts (because now they happen), ignoring spammers. After dropping it all off here was the final loop back

And the final damage. I started with ~2 million and over a rank less in trade and exploration. Not bad for 4 hours of not very intense work (due to dinner, girlfriend time, etc)

Anyway my entire point of this series is that

Sothis apparently rocks if you have the time to do it
Smuggling is going to get so nerfed across the board no matter what
I have pretty bad ADD and even I didn't have trouble once I got onto routes. Refueling is horrible in this game but what can you do? Once you start dropping off your loads you can refuel at each station and laugh as you get fines in HOSTILE territory you won't be visiting again anyway.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Smuggling is cool and fun. I want to be Han Solo and collect mad spacebux. Please Frontier do not nerf smuggling.

Also, I just bought an Imperial Courier and outfit it for PvP. This ship is cool. Time to find a station I can drop it off in and never fly it again since I never actually PvP. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Nooooooooo :arghfist::mad:

all they have to do is add freighters that you can put ships in and set up some form of ship trading then say hello to ship shipping shipping ship ships.

• Locked thread