Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rathlord
Sep 5, 2015

Angry know-it-all.

Lady Naga posted:

Maybe they should play a different game that actually contributes to their needs since Payday 2 was never really that good for minmaxing to begin with and also if you suck at the game an extra four stability isn't going to fix that.

Long guide begs to differ. Min/maxers love this game, and just a general glance around this forum proves it. Everyone knows the damage breaks, etc. and that's not going to stop. But regardless, you're misrepresenting my argument. I'm not saying the game needs to be better for min/maxers. I am saying blatantly making it worse by shoving it behind a pay wall is an rear end in a top hat move. Try to pay attention when we're chatting, it's taxing having to constantly remind you what we're actually talking about. Because,

Lady Naga posted:

The idea that every game needs to cater to every type of player is patently ridiculous.

The gently caress would we do without straw man arguments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

It's really simple.

If you aren't happy with it then let overkill know

http://www.overkillsoftware.com/get-in-touch/

If you don't care then don't.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

jivjov posted:

But the idea that a promise made has no need to be upheld is...not ridiculous to you.
The idea that it's something worth complaining about for 20 pages is, which I believe is consistent with my perceived attitude.

Rathlord posted:

The gently caress would we do without straw man arguments.
It's not a strawman to say "it's okay for Overkill to not appeal to minmaxers because they don't need to appeal to everyone" it's just common sense.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

jivjov posted:

But the idea that a promise made has no need to be upheld is...not ridiculous to you.

Oh it's you again, good. I wanted to ask you something.

Are you 12? Serious question.

Either way, I think https://www.reddit.com is more your speed. You should go there.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mr Scumbag posted:

Oh it's you again, good. I wanted to ask you something.

Are you 12? Serious question.

Either way, I think https://www.reddit.com is more your speed. You should go there.

25, not that it matters.

Rathlord
Sep 5, 2015

Angry know-it-all.

Lady Naga posted:

It's not a strawman to say "it's okay for Overkill to not appeal to minmaxers because they don't need to appeal to everyone" it's just common sense.

But it is a straw man to say "you are arguing that Overkill must appeal to minmaxers and you are wrong" when that's not my point of contention at all. And if you're about to argue that weren't saying I said that, then please don't quote me- it's misleading. Please, I'm trying to have a useful conversation here but it's like being on a teeter-totter with a dead guy. It feels like I'm doing all the work.

Rathlord fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 16, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

randombattle posted:

It's really simple.

If you aren't happy with it then let overkill know

http://www.overkillsoftware.com/get-in-touch/

If you don't care then don't.

Thanks for this link.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
The new market is cool and good. It is highly consistent with capitalist values.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Rathlord posted:

But it is a straw man to say "you are arguing that Overkill must appeal to minmaxers and you are wrong" when that's not my point of contention at all. Please, I'm trying to have a useful conversation here but it's like being on a teeter-totter with a dead guy. It feels like I'm doing all the work.

Okay the map of logic goes like this:

1) Minmaxers want to like Payday 2 because it has quantifiable stats
2) Overkill introduced in an update, something that makes it harder for minmaxers to get what they want out of the game

however, this is okay because...

3) Overkill never said that minmaxers are a group of players they are balancing the game around, thus the game is not for them and they should not need to have every decision appeal to their specific sensibilities.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
http://gfycat.com/PlaintiveBrightJackal
http://gfycat.com/MerryHappygoluckyGalapagospenguin

nobody uses the g3, confirmed

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lady Naga posted:

2) Overkill introduced in an update, something that makes it harder for minmaxers to get what they want out of the game

3) Overkill never said that minmaxers are a group of players they are balancing the game around, thus the game is not for them and they should not need to have every decision appeal to their specific sensibilities.

1) Multiple employees of Overkill assured and promised the community that Payday 2 would contain no microtransactions
2) Overkill introduced in an update, microtransations.

What part of this do you not understand? I don't want to start throwing around the words "fraud" or "false advertising", but that's certainly what this move feels like.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

jivjov posted:

1) Multiple employees of Overkill assured and promised the community that Payday 2 would contain no microtransactions
2) Overkill introduced in an update, microtransations.

What part of this do you not understand? I don't want to start throwing around the words "fraud" or "false advertising", but that's certainly what this move feels like.

This isn't what we are talking about please stick to your niche.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

RandallODim posted:

I don't know but hey if I don't post here for 72 hours can I have it

you can just have it, PM sent

Rathlord
Sep 5, 2015

Angry know-it-all.

Lady Naga posted:

Well let's break this down point by point, shall we?

1) Minmaxers already liked Payday 2 because it has quantifiable stats and is highly conducive to min/maxing due to important damage breaks and other bullshit like pick-up rates that idgaf about because I'm not a minmaxer.
2) Overkill introduced an update to a complete game that alienates a significant portion of their playerbase by locking their preferred method of play (in a released title) behind a pay wall.
3) Overkill should respect their playerbase regardless of how they play. And besides that, we're not even talking about balance here (are you lost?) and my problem is not that this doesn't appeal to their sensibilities. It's that it takes advantage of their sensibilities.

See, if no one enjoyed minmaxing in PD2 like you'd have us believe, this wouldn't be a problem- because no one would do it or care. The problem is that tons of people LOVE minmaxing PD2 and Overkill are shamelessly exploiting that fact. Probably shouldn't base your arguments in Australia, they come out upside down to the rest of the world.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
lol I picked a hell of a random day to check in on this thread after a year away from the game. This thread is great. You are all great.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Scott Forstall posted:

great work, professional work

Rathlord
Sep 5, 2015

Angry know-it-all.

Scott Forstall posted:

lol I picked a hell of a random day to check in on this thread after a year away from the game. This thread is great. You are all great.

Gotta thank Lady Naga for taking the role of stooge in the last few pages, we couldn't have done it without her. But yah, fantastic thread.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Rathlord posted:

Well let's break this down point by point, shall we?

1) Minmaxers already liked Payday 2 because it has quantifiable stats and is highly conducive to min/maxing due to important damage breaks and other bullshit like pick-up rates that idgaf about because I'm not a minmaxer.
2) Overkill introduced an update to a complete game that alienates a significant portion of their playerbase by locking their preferred method of play (in a released title) behind a pay wall.
3) Overkill should respect their playerbase regardless of how they play. And besides that, we're not even talking about balance here (are you lost?) and my problem is not that this doesn't appeal to their sensibilities. It's that it takes advantage of their sensibilities.

See, if no one enjoyed minmaxing in PD2 like you'd have us believe, this wouldn't be a problem- because no one would do it or care. The problem is that tons of people LOVE minmaxing PD2 and Overkill are shamelessly exploiting that fact. Probably shouldn't base your arguments in Australia, they come out upside down to the rest of the world.

I never said nobody enjoyed minmaxing dummy, I'm saying that the game is not tailored for them and it's okay.

It's like when people complained about so and so unlockable weapon broke the balance of 6v6s in TF2, the game is not made with them in mind so it doesn't really matter if a random update doesn't fit their playstyle.

Rathlord posted:

Gotta thank Lady Naga for taking the role of stooge in the last few pages, we couldn't have done it without her. But yah, fantastic thread.
Yeeee-eesh, and people call me judgemental *tugs on collar, fans self*

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 16, 2015

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Well, I decided to buy and use a drill:

haha not really gently caress you overkill i'd rather throw $2.50 in the loving sewer.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Jesus the tantrums people are throwing over weaponskins are ridiculous

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Rathlord posted:

A girl, what?! :captainpop:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Holy poo poo this is magical. Best update.

padijun posted:

you can just have it, PM sent

:wink:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Grapplejack posted:

A girl, what?! :captainpop:

I got Lady right in my name c'mon son!!!!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Honestly at this point I just hope Wilko gets the HUD back up and running and we get some new heists soon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Madtrixr posted:

The problem is not the skins; its the fact that 1) Overkill introduced microtransactions into a game they promised consumers would not have microtransactions, and 2) some of said microtransactions are paid gameplay buffs in a game that is already a paid title.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
you know what i take it back everybody was right microtransactions are the end of the world.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
My father was killed by microtransactions.

He needed a factory new heart and I ran out of money before I unboxed one.

Ended up with a bunch of slightly worn ones I could sell on the black market though.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

RandallODim posted:

Holy poo poo this is magical. Best update.

"wow, they added 75 base ammo to the G3, maybe it won't be poo poo anymore"

well, nope, but not for the reason I was expecting, that's for sure!!

Rathlord
Sep 5, 2015

Angry know-it-all.

Lady Naga posted:

I never said nobody enjoyed minmaxing dummy, I'm saying that the game is not tailored for them and it's okay.

It's like when people complained about so and so unlockable weapon broke the balance of 6v6s in TF2, the game is not made with them in mind so it doesn't really matter if a random update doesn't fit their playstyle.

Your implication "minmaxers want to like PD2" is that they don't already. And regardless of what the game is tailored towards, the fanbase exists regardless. And again- your argument is absolutely backwards. You're arguing that it's okay for them to gently caress things because people who are "doing it right/the popular way" aren't bothered by it. But in reality, it's because they're exploiting the majority of players who feel minmaxing is fun or worth their time that makes this hosed up. It's not like this is an Early Access title. People bought into the game without expectations (due to cold hard promises from staff) of having to purchase microtransactions to enjoy their play.

Lady Naga posted:

Yeeee-eesh, and people call me judgemental *tugs on collar, fans self*

Can't say it's the first time I've had a lady hot under the collar.

Rathlord
Sep 5, 2015

Angry know-it-all.

Madtrixr posted:

Being reasonably upset over a company brashly lying to their customers constitutes neither tantrums nor anything particularly worthy of ridicule.

And now you shall mock me for being upset over "just a video game."

It's like I'm prescient or something.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Rathlord posted:

Your implication "minmaxers want to like PD2" is that they don't already. And regardless of what the game is tailored towards, the fanbase exists regardless. And again- your argument is absolutely backwards. You're arguing that it's okay for them to gently caress things because people who are "doing it right/the popular way" aren't bothered by it. But in reality, it's because they're exploiting the majority of players who feel minmaxing is fun or worth their time that makes this hosed up. It's not like this is an Early Access title. People bought into the game without expectations (due to cold hard promises from staff) of having to purchase microtransactions to enjoy their play.

Whatever implication I may have communicated with that statement was unintentional and I'm sorry for whatever wires got crossed.

Also I was not talking specifically about microtransactions and that's not specifically what was countered, I was saying that it doesn't matter that the microtransactions have stat boosts because those stat boosts mean absolutely nothing except to a tiny fraction of the audience.

Rathlord posted:

Being reasonably upset over a company brashly lying to their customers constitutes neither tantrums nor anything particularly worthy of ridicule.

And now you shall mock me for being upset over "just a video game."

It's like I'm prescient or something.

Like ten to twenty pages of complaining isn't "reasonably upset".

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I don't care about the promises not to introduce microtransactions, I just care that they've added them in the shittiest possible way. Breaking everything to add a stupid-rear end update for expensive, ugly, random lottery skins when their model up to now has been discrete packages of DLC containing bundles of useful things at a reasonable price.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lady Naga posted:

Also I was not talking specifically about microtransactions and that's not specifically what was countered, I was saying that it doesn't matter that the microtransactions have stat boosts because those stat boosts mean absolutely nothing except to a tiny fraction of the audience.

Either you're misinformed and believe that the stat boosts only effect certain players, or you're a goddamn idiot troll who can't seem to wrap her loving head around the fact that blatantly lying to people is a lovely thing to do. Especially when you're trying to make money off of it.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Rathlord posted:

That would make you the whiny outraged pissbaby, as long as we're assigning roles. I prefer the kid who emailed Valve over you though, to be honest. I move that he take over crybaby duties in this thread effective immediately.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Oh Christ, everybody lies every day and I don't expect to hold people to throwaway promises made two years ago when it wasn't on the radar at all.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

jivjov posted:

Either you're misinformed and believe that the stat boosts only effect certain players, or you're a goddamn idiot troll who can't seem to wrap her loving head around the fact that blatantly lying to people is a lovely thing to do. Especially when you're trying to make money off of it.

I already loving posted how meaningless an extra four accuracy is so shove off with your broken record shtick.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
BUT THEY LIED

:qq:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Almir lied, SA died

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I had enough from hawking cards and poo poo that I decided to buy a key, and lol. It does a roulette just like CSGO, and then I got an ugly-rear end skin that looks like poo poo ingame.

10/10 would microtransact again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Watch Goldfarb start a loving war.

• Locked thread