Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Sorry for sounding like an idiot but can you explain the kiting process in wow? I've never had to do it and never fully understood how it's accomplished. I just always figured the mob would eventually catch up to the person kiting.

Also what are the best pets for leveling? Just go with cats across the board or is it worth hunting down the exotic rare spawns?

As people before me have mentioned, Hunters generally kite in Aspect of the Cheetah, which makes them outright faster than most mobs. The really big thing that makes hunters able to kite, though, is the way the auto-shot mechanic works.

All Bows/Crossbows/Guns have a speed that dictates how fast they shoot, which works the exact same way as melee weapons; a 2.5 speed weapon, for example, shoots once every ~2.2 seconds using a 12% attack speed quiver. You cannot auto shoot while moving, BUT you can stop for about a third of a second, fire a shot and continue to move while your auto shot timer cools down.

All hunter stings can be shot while moving, as can arcane shot. Multi shot has a .5 sec cast time, and Aimed has a 3 second cast time.

Edit: as for pets, during leveling it's pretty much whatever you want; I used a cat all the way to 60. You will periodically want to tame new pets and learn their abilities, however, because that's the only way to get new active skills (other than Growl) for your pets.

This list has some good information. It tells you what pets learn what skills, but ignore anything that has to do with patch 2.0 or higher, cause that's TBC.

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Hunter pets do have some differences. I think the biggest when leveling were damage vs. armor. It depends on how far along in the patches Nost is because at some point pet atk speed was normalized. If the patch is before the attack speed normalization then a couple of semi-rare pets attack at like 1.9 or 2.0 speed. The Rake in Mulgore, the rare elite raptor in Barrens, and Humor the Pridelord(?). I think I remember there being pets with higher innate armor such as turtle, bear, and gorilla. Gorilla had thunderclap that provided minimal multi-tanking. I always just got a high damage pet because it's really hard to effectively use a pet to tank multiple mobs (or I was bad at it). If I had more than one mob I was trapping them if on me, or just focusing firing them down as fast as possible. But ya, hunters could probably level the fastest (especially with run speed boost from 20 - 40). Warlocks always seemed a close second with the mana pool offering more limitation.

Of course, you don't that hunter pet until level 9, so that's fun because the class is clearly designed around ranged which is hard with limited skills and no tanky pet.

Oh, simple vanilla hunter pet training points calculator.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
My point was more that hunter leveling is so easy it generally doesn't matter what pet you use.

downout posted:

I think I remember there being pets with higher innate armor such as turtle, bear, and gorilla.
Turtle and bear yes, gorilla no. All pets have a base value of armor based on their level, and some of them have a bonus percentage on top of that. From most armor to least:

+13% - Turtles, Crabs
+10% - Scorpids, Crocolisks
+9% - Boars
+5% - Wolf, Hyena, Carrion Birds, Bears
+3% - Raptors
+0% - Everything else

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
If we already have the Nost pvp client, will the pve realm appear there? I'm assuming the realmlist will be the same.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Desmond posted:

If we already have the Nost pvp client, will the pve realm appear there? I'm assuming the realmlist will be the same.

I thought I read they were going to change the realmlist thingie for both. (to be separate)

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Mystery Prize posted:

My point was more that hunter leveling is so easy it generally doesn't matter what pet you use.

Turtle and bear yes, gorilla no. All pets have a base value of armor based on their level, and some of them have a bonus percentage on top of that. From most armor to least:

+13% - Turtles, Crabs
+10% - Scorpids, Crocolisks
+9% - Boars
+5% - Wolf, Hyena, Carrion Birds, Bears
+3% - Raptors
+0% - Everything else

Ok, good to know. Ya, I tried to keep a turtle around to tank tougher stuff, but pets level so slowly in vanilla that it's not really reasonable. Turtles get that sweet shell shield :) which I always thought was the greatest thing ever, but I never realized the armor difference was so much relatively. I guess overall though 13% isn't much, so that might be why I always went with the damage pet and didn't fret too much.

Edit: It's the same realmlist.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
The big problem with the high armor pets is it completely gimps their dps, and as BM spec your pet is a good half of your damage while leveling. Pets have a flat base dps that is modified up or down (-10% to +10%), which is a reasonably huge swing. Turtles are +0% hp, +13% armor, -10% damage.

Raptors are actually a solid pick; they have lowish hp (-5%) but good armor and damage (+3% and +10%, respectively). They also learn the two good damage abilities (Bite and Claw)

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.
Well, I was planning on playing a paladin, but all this hunter talk has got me excited about playing one of those instead.

Not that it matters right now, since they picked the one weekend I'll be out of town to launch.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

My plan is to make my main character, fill the other five slots with popular names and never log them in, then delete them as my altitis worsens. That way, someone making a new character in a month can be pleasantly surprised to learn that the name Legolas is available.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Don't forget to delete your WDB folder if you played on the PvP realm.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I had no clue about that but a quick google search and yeah good looking out.

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
What does the folder do?

A hunter does sound interesting though with all this talk. God drat it, too many classes to pick from and I still don't have one for tomorrow.

Billy Elliot fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 16, 2015

Jackdonkey
May 31, 2007

Mystery Prize posted:

As people before me have mentioned, Hunters generally kite in Aspect of the Cheetah, which makes them outright faster than most mobs. The really big thing that makes hunters able to kite, though, is the way the auto-shot mechanic works.

All Bows/Crossbows/Guns have a speed that dictates how fast they shoot, which works the exact same way as melee weapons; a 2.5 speed weapon, for example, shoots once every ~2.2 seconds using a 12% attack speed quiver. You cannot auto shoot while moving, BUT you can stop for about a third of a second, fire a shot and continue to move while your auto shot timer cools down.

All hunter stings can be shot while moving, as can arcane shot. Multi shot has a .5 sec cast time, and Aimed has a 3 second cast time.

Edit: as for pets, during leveling it's pretty much whatever you want; I used a cat all the way to 60. You will periodically want to tame new pets and learn their abilities, however, because that's the only way to get new active skills (other than Growl) for your pets.

This list has some good information. It tells you what pets learn what skills, but ignore anything that has to do with patch 2.0 or higher, cause that's TBC.

You can spin jump and arcane shot too so you don't need to stop.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Billy Elliot posted:

What does the folder do?

A hunter does sound interesting though with all this talk. God drat it, too many classes to pick from and I still don't have one for tomorrow.

I think the pve server starts Saturday, or am I mistaken?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Central European Summer Time, which is UTC +2 or GMT +2. That means that the server opens at:

18:00 for Brits and Irish
20:00 for Eastern Europeans
13:00 for US East Coasters
12:00 for Texans
10:00 for Californians
02:00 on Sunday for Japanese
06:00 on Sunday for New Zealanders

You need to delete the WDB folder before you start playing and then you need to delete it every time the server progresses to a new itemization patch. These will be announced in this forum. The items will always have their correct stats and you only see wrong stats if your WDB isn't "up-to-date".

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
Oh, it does. I must have looked at the announcement after midnight when I thought it was the day prior. Well, that gives me another day to figure my poo poo out haha.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Jackdonkey posted:

You can spin jump and arcane shot too so you don't need to stop.
I said that in what you quoted!

Mystery Prize posted:

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010
I'm torn between paladin and warlock. I was a healer back in the day and I've never leveled a paladin but sometimes you just wanna summon demons and shadowbolt things y'know?

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Paladin is boring as poo poo and you will hate yourself leveling, but they are fantastic healers at 60.

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
It's not in the OP, but is there a good list of leveling talent builds for each class? Nothing gets worse than being balls deep in a tree to realize it sucks rear end for leveling. I guess that is the vanilla experience, but I want to save my 1g.

Obviously, you're going DPS for the classes that you level that are tri-spec, but what about the ones that have 3 DPS specs to choose from? Is BM for Hunter? Destruction for Warlock? Frost/Fire for Mage? Etc?

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Billy Elliot posted:

It's not in the OP, but is there a good list of leveling talent builds for each class? Nothing gets worse than being balls deep in a tree to realize it sucks rear end for leveling. I guess that is the vanilla experience, but I want to save my 1g.

Obviously, you're going DPS for the classes that you level that are tri-spec, but what about the ones that have 3 DPS specs to choose from? Is BM for Hunter? Destruction for Warlock? Frost/Fire for Mage? Etc?

Warrior - 2H Fury
Paladin - Whatever the heck you want
Hunter - BM
Priest - WAND SPEC
Mage - Frost
Warlock - Affliction
Rogue - Combat with 2 in remorseless
Druid - Feral
Shaman - Enhance

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Incoming Blizz-like warrior leveling debate.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Tanreall posted:

Incoming Blizz-like warrior leveling debate.

I'll just have to level a warrior with 0 talent points to put an end to this.

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate

Tanners posted:

Warrior - 2H Fury
Paladin - Whatever the heck you want
Hunter - BM
Priest - WAND SPEC
Mage - Frost
Warlock - Affliction
Rogue - Combat with 2 in remorseless
Druid - Feral
Shaman - Enhance

Thanks! I can add, ret for Paladin works well. Going for reduced cooldown on judgements is nice, pursuit of justice for a little movement speed boost is nice as well.

And just to throw in some good nostolgic WoW videos. This guy Beckon had some PvPriest videos and I remember the 3rd video where he had the disc/holy PvP spec when Power Infusion came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyarUUYeJ-E

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Tanners posted:

Priest - WAND SPEC

Is this just Spirit Tap -> Wand Spec -> Shadow Spec or something else?

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Hello Sailor posted:

Wand Spec is more important than spirit tap as a wand does not require mana. But you should grab it after wand spec. Also your other points literally don't matter pick what looks fun.

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
I forget when you even get wands? I know you can make them early on as an engineer? If you don't have a wand when you're picking talents, there's no reason to put points in the talent, but like tanners said, wands are free and cost no mana and do real good DPS leveling.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Billy Elliot posted:

I know you can make them early on as an engineer?

Now of all the things an engineer can make I just dont know how on earth you could justify a magic wand.

Theyre from enchanters by the way

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
Was it? gently caress I'm rusty. I just remembered wands came from a profession I wouldn't think to make a wand.

But I really want to make a human for my sweet name and character appearance I have planned but god drat gnomes win with the pink hair and funny muchstaces.

Gnome warrior, gnome warlock, dwarf priest, human paladin, human rogue, dwarf hunter, gnome mage... No interest in rolling a druid haha. At least I know what race I want to be for any class I pick.

We should figure out who's rolling what to meet up in starting zones with whoever wants to try at server start. I'd like to level up quick to GTFO of the starting area and try to be above the curve at the start.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

AzureSkye posted:

I'm torn between paladin and warlock. I was a healer back in the day and I've never leveled a paladin but sometimes you just wanna summon demons and shadowbolt things y'know?
They are insanely different. Paladin (retribution spec) levels fairly slowly, and it's just auto-attack, seal, judge all the time. Not much to it. Warlock on the other hand can just zip around, dot up multiple mobs, play with pet, dot and nuke, all kinds of fun. They're much more involved, varied, powerful and fast at levelling. I didn't mind playing a Paladin back in the day (from beta until goddamn Cata), but I would only do it again for the nostalgia and Paladin-theme.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

A protection paladin with a lot of thorns damage can do some decent AE grinding, especially undead. They have a damage aura, blessing, ability via talent, and spike they can put on their shield. The shield itself may have damage reflect as well, but likely not until the higher levels. On top of all this, they have consecrate. It isn't mega fast, but might be faster than afk auto-attack 1 mob at a time with Ret. Just spam heal yourself as everything dies trying to kill you. Melee mobs only of course, and the faster they attack, the faster they die.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Speaking of thorns, are the bugs in Tanaris with 1HP still a thing?

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

That was on ED. I don't know if Nos has the same quality scripting that allowed for that, or the worms in WPL.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I almost want to make an Engineer so I can use parachute cloak to get to the hidden troll village again. Man I miss these early WoW days.

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.

Hello Sailor posted:

Spirit Tap is useless because the only thing you should ever cast is Power Word: Shield at the start of a fight, and you'll have the mana back by the time the mob is dead.

I personally liked going down Disc for extra PW:S absorb and Inner Fire armor, but it really doesn't matter after Wand Spec.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

If you go rogue, there is a bug on nostalrius that lets you do backstabs if you quickly strafe behind your target. If you are able to abuse this easily, Assassination is very good. Try doing it levels 4-12 to see if you are comfortable with doing that instead of starting to fill in the combat tree. Us american lagwizards seem to be the ones that can do it most reliably.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Personally I'm leaning towards Hunter but I think I might start out with Druid or maybe even Priest first. I want to try playing something out of my comfort zone.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Servers turn on at noon central time right? My lunch is at one and I may run home to try to make a character, think I could log in or should I just wait till seven tonight?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Servers turn on at noon central time right? My lunch is at one and I may run home to try to make a character, think I could log in or should I just wait till seven tonight?

Servers open tomorrow. Saturday the 17th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I refuse to admit how damaging this news is to my Friday night plans.

• Locked thread