Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

drukqs posted:

I'm probably overreacting, but putting the complaint/issue in the subject line of an email, not adding anything to the body of the email is dickish. In this case, the coworker actually did add something to the body, just a lowercase signature...

And yeah I've posted and complained about this before in this thread, possibly also admitted to maybe overreacting... certain people do this regularly. Very irritating.

It's much better than the subject being something nondescript like "HELP!!!!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

alg posted:

:stare:

It's all DBs, web servers and file shares so we never shrink systems... That 2nd thing though

We're like 98% DBs here so we don't really shrink filesystems either. It's only come up like twice since we started deploying RHEL7 and only because someone was over zealous in expanding a filesystem.

A bigger problem we have is our backups. They're done through Netbackup and some wizardry where our vmdks are backed up and then Netbackup cracks them open and reads the filesystem to build the index and allow for single file backups even though the backup was done at the VMware level.... except this doesn't work for XFS yet.

Gealar
May 2, 2013
One of our science groups is moving to a new building in the university. It's an old chemistry building. Fun things about the building: second floor where half of the group is smells like ethanol and mold, I think smell is coming from rooms that are sealed, third floor is supposedly radioactive and no one is allowed up there, first floor we have five offices that have twenty ethernet jacks of which two work.

I found the issue with the jacks. They come into the networking closet go to a punch down and that's it. No cabling to the switches. I told the building IT about it. They did nothing about it for a week. So I put in cables for the room everything works now. Bonus is the IT guy came by and said everything is working must have been my imagination.

Now I am sitting around waiting for scientists to show up so I can change the dns records to point at our DC's new ip addresses. All the technicians have shown up and settled in but the big wig scientists are no where to be found. It's going to be a long day of waiting.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

captkirk posted:

We're like 98% DBs here so we don't really shrink filesystems either. It's only come up like twice since we started deploying RHEL7 and only because someone was over zealous in expanding a filesystem.

A bigger problem we have is our backups. They're done through Netbackup and some wizardry where our vmdks are backed up and then Netbackup cracks them open and reads the filesystem to build the index and allow for single file backups even though the backup was done at the VMware level.... except this doesn't work for XFS yet.

Lmao at our new datacenter this is exactly the setup we are moving to. Awesome

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If the network was down... how did he expect the email to be sent?

I'd get a lot of emails at my old job from fellow IT coworkers asking if there were mail problems. But I'd get them after the mail problems were sorted out.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
gently caress you, distribution groups

If we manage them, it is wildly inconvenient to put in a ticket to make changes

If we allow user management, "That isn't my job! Why isn't IT managing the DLs that only I use!?"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ElGroucho posted:

gently caress you, distribution groups

If we manage them, it is wildly inconvenient to put in a ticket to make changes

If we allow user management, "That isn't my job! Why isn't IT managing the DLs that only I use!?"

This reigns true for everything. Including cleaning out the microwave and changing lightbulbs.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Why is it that the only error message users actually read are the bullshit "THE NETWORK IS DOWN" ones that so many apps generate?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Dick Trauma posted:

Why is it that the only error message users actually read are the bullshit "THE NETWORK IS DOWN" ones that so many apps generate?

My favorite are the tickets that come in about a cryptic error message, but the user can't tell me what it says. I physically go to their computer and ask them to show me what it's doing, and the error message pops up for a split second before they immediately click ok. When asked what the error said they'll always say, "Oh, I don't know, what's wrong with my computer!?"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Users have been so conditioned by decades of cryptic, inscrutable errors to ignore the content of error messages that when a message actually does tell them exactly what the problem is they're no longer capable of reading it due to conditioned error-message-blindness.

I've seen cases where e.g. Chrome was showing an error like "There's a certificate error and it's probably because your system date is wrong, you should check your system date" and the problem was in fact a bad system date, but the user couldn't figure it out because it just didn't occur to them to actually read the error message.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I've lost track of the number of times I've seen someone using a computer and they'll try to close a window, a message will pop up asking it they want to save their work, and they will just click cancel and keep trying to close the program over and over without reading what the popup says. I personally miss the days of useful error messages, when there were specific error codes you could look up to figure out a problem. These days everything is literally just "an error occurred. Try again later."

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I've lost track of the number of times I've seen someone using a computer and they'll try to close a window, a message will pop up asking it they want to save their work, and they will just click cancel and keep trying to close the program over and over without reading what the popup says. I personally miss the days of useful error messages, when there were specific error codes you could look up to figure out a problem. These days everything is literally just "an error occurred. Try again later."

Something happened

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

Something happened

:(

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

A ticket came in, and it's a bit of a head-scratcher (at least for me). A user is working from home today, and her personal printer isn't being redirected into her RDS session.

She already completely signed out of the session, rather than just disconnecting like most users, as well as restarting her ~MacBook Air~. This particular printer has redirected fine in the past, as she usually works from home once a week anyway, but for the hell of it I completely removed and re-added it. No dice. I completely reinstalled the RDC client (Microsoft's official OS X app) and added the connection back into the list again, but it still won't redirect. I got the idea to test it with a completely different RDS, and of course the printer shows up. For the hell of it, I then connect to the original RDS with a different domain account, and that also works as intended. It's literally only this user's account that won't redirect her printer now. Any ideas?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Your forceful ejection of the bits will cause more dings in the shielding, degrading your cable even further and causing more etherblasts.

The best way to clear a cable is with a tone tester, the sound waves harmlessly clear 1s and 0s.

Lies - everyone knows you unplug both ends, wring the cable like a wet towel, then swing the ends like a helicopter to eject the faulty bits

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't forget to keep the ends capped off - don't want any stray bits getting in.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thanks Ants posted:

Don't forget to keep the ends capped off - don't want any stray bits getting in.

Any time you unplug the cable you have to be sure that your body or some other solid surface is between the end of the cable and a source of wifi.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

nitrogen posted:

Goddamn, I have an argument with a guy at my last job about this. On a computer, there is no difference. He seriously wanted to have a project to change GMT to UTC on every machine in a multiple DC's and a total of 20k+ servers. In effect, it's the difference between kleenex and tissues. It matters to Kimberly-Clark and Georgia Pacific, but the rest of us don't give a poo poo.

He even tried to prove me wrong by doing this:

code:
[leo@rabies::/usr/share/zoneinfo/US]$ zdump -v /usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT |md5sum
f2757362c434c98e911655e7e35bf6f9  -
[leo@rabies::/usr/share/zoneinfo/US]$ zdump -v /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC |md5sum
707470b6b2fddbeddec76d66febd5eb1  -

[spoiler doesn't work on code blocks, so everyone gets the explanation]
running the command without md5sum shows you why:
code:
[leo@rabies::/usr/share/zoneinfo/US]$ zdump -v /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC 
/usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC  -9223372036854775808 = NULL
/usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC  -9223372036854689408 = NULL
/usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC  9223372036854689407 = NULL
/usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC  9223372036854775807 = NULL

[leo@rabies::/usr/share/zoneinfo/US]$ zdump -v /usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT
/usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT  -9223372036854775808 = NULL
/usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT  -9223372036854689408 = NULL
/usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT  9223372036854689407 = NULL
/usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT  9223372036854775807 = NULL

(Because the command outputs different text, but not different text that matters. only thing that changes is a label, not the definition)
[/spoiler doesn't work on code blocks]

Even if the time was different, that wouldn't be a reason to change them. You just want it to be consistent so you can tell which order things happen in.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This is going to sound a little out there... but has anyone seen weird things happening in the last couple of days with printers, perhaps due to a windows update?

In the past three days, the helpdesk has had six or seven different users try to print something, either see an error or nothing prints, then notice all their printers are gone in Devices&Printers. They often discover this after a reboot. Helpdesk says they try to restart the print spooler, then in some cases printers reappear but show as offline.

If they try to remove and re-add one of these "offline" printers, they often get the infamous "cannot connect to printer" error 0x0000007e

I'm sorry to come in here and sound like a user reporting an issue, without being able to give detailed info, but I haven't seen this myself, I seldom deal with the users. I wondered if a bad M$ update might have gone out recently, or something like that. I don't see anything weird on the print server itself.

Best as I can figure out, this started Tuesday morning.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

drukqs posted:

I'm probably overreacting, but putting the complaint/issue in the subject line of an email, not adding anything to the body of the email is dickish. In this case, the coworker actually did add something to the body, just a lowercase signature...

And yeah I've posted and complained about this before in this thread, possibly also admitted to maybe overreacting... certain people do this regularly. Very irritating.

I had a team lead who did that at my last job. Like yours, he would send me questions in an email with every sentence in the subject. I started replying to him by putting my answer in the subject.

He stopped after that.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I don't think it's a terrible practice for simple stuff.

Subject: Going to Starbucks, you want something?

Subject: Is it still raining outside?

Subject: Can you explain Diffie-Hellman real quick?

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

MrMojok posted:

This is going to sound a little out there... but has anyone seen weird things happening in the last couple of days with printers, perhaps due to a windows update?

In the past three days, the helpdesk has had six or seven different users try to print something, either see an error or nothing prints, then notice all their printers are gone in Devices&Printers. They often discover this after a reboot. Helpdesk says they try to restart the print spooler, then in some cases printers reappear but show as offline.

If they try to remove and re-add one of these "offline" printers, they often get the infamous "cannot connect to printer" error 0x0000007e

I'm sorry to come in here and sound like a user reporting an issue, without being able to give detailed info, but I haven't seen this myself, I seldom deal with the users. I wondered if a bad M$ update might have gone out recently, or something like that. I don't see anything weird on the print server itself.

Well that's eerie. I just restarted the Print Spooler on our end as well, but the user reported that their printer still isn't showing up after signing out and in again.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't think it's a terrible practice for simple stuff.

Subject: Going to Starbucks, you want something?

Subject: Is it still raining outside?

Subject: Can you explain Diffie-Hellman real quick?

That's the exact use case for instant messaging.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

You must communicate with me in the medium that i prefer.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Interpretive dance :colbert:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Volmarias posted:

Interpretive dance :colbert:

I'd absolutely love to see this for the Diffie Hellman explanation.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MrMojok posted:

I ran into a similar issue recently with a network printer - had to use printui /s /t2 from command prompt, delete the offending drivers, then reload from scratch

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

MrMojok posted:

I think I've figured out the reason behind this. It's a bit convoluted, but stick with me:

You see, it's because printers.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'd absolutely love to see this for the Diffie Hellman explanation.

I don't know how much you know about fringe politics, but Lawrence Lessig's media guy Brian Boyko has videos of himself demonstrating networking protocols like the three way handshake.

I'll find a gif or two when I get home.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't know how much you know about fringe politics, but Lawrence Lessig's media guy Brian Boyko has videos of himself demonstrating networking protocols like the three way handshake.

I'll find a gif or two when I get home.

Boyko For President 2016

See this thread for all the fun: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3634476 and the current Lessig thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736109

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 16, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

larchesdanrew posted:

I think I've figured out the reason behind this. It's a bit convoluted, but stick with me:

You see, it's because printers.
Somebody put printers onto the aliens dude meme.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

a ticket came in, from me, to me, at home

MY loving personal laptop stopped booting. IT does this sometimes, rarely to infrequently. I think it happens after hibernation.

I take the thing 1/2 apart, think I rip the keyboard ribbon (it just CAME OUT! WITH NO CONECTOR ON IT! turn out, thats fine - it just slips in and then you lock it. Minor heart attack).

Oh, and then I almost strip a screw. Fuuuuck, that thing was in there way too tight. Lucky that it can be gripped now.

I merely look at it, jossle screws and blow on stuff, decide to try to start it. IT loving TURNS ON. AHGHHHHH.

Welp there goes the 3 hours I wanted to spend working on my unity halloween project. Mother fucker.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'M SENDING AN EMAIL BECAUSE I CANT ACCESS FILES WY WOULD THAT EFFECT THE NETWORK???

PS: FACEBOOK IS DOWN

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ilkhan posted:

Somebody put printers onto the aliens dude meme.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

MiniFoo posted:

Any ideas?
Stupid question but did you turn on Printer Redirection in the properties when you re-created the connection?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=248gcCvAIMU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

nexxai posted:

Stupid question but did you turn on Printer Redirection in the properties when you re-created the connection?

Nope, that never occurred to me! :rolleyes:

I closed the ticket anyway. Maybe the problem will fix itself by next Thursday.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

yea.

I've gotten "is the internet down" from people with PhD's

It's best not to get into it w/ people who ask questions like these.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

jesus loving christ I made it 3 seconds before alt-f4'ing

gently caress you gently caress whoever this is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Volmarias posted:

That's the exact use case for instant messaging.
When the company's chosen IM is Lync 2013 I prefer getting blank body emails.

• Locked thread