Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

From the NYT last month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

Huh, I wonder what counts as premium?
Likely the most expensive pack of <=20 smokes that is widely sold in the country. In Latvia that would be Parliament Aqua/Silver, which always were like a quarter more expensive than next second most expensive 20-pack. For Latvia you need to consider that 30% of cigarette market are grey imports from Belarus and Russia.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

From the NYT last month

So, hang on, wait - Kabul and Kandahar are both behind enemy lines now?

Oh, whatever, it doesn't matter, who cares.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

freebooter posted:

So, hang on, wait - Kabul and Kandahar are both behind enemy lines now?

Oh, whatever, it doesn't matter, who cares.

some things never change

Dr. Watson posted:

IN the year 1878 I took my degree of Doctor of Medicine of the University of London, and proceeded to Netley to go through the course prescribed for surgeons in the army. Having completed my studies there, I was duly attached to the Fifth Northumberland Fusiliers as Assistant Surgeon. The regiment was stationed in India at the time, and before I could join it, the second Afghan war had broken out. On landing at Bombay, I learned that my corps had advanced through the passes, and was already deep in the enemy's country. I followed, however, with many other officers who were in the same situation as myself, and succeeded in reaching Candahar in safety, where I found my regiment, and at once entered upon my new duties.

The campaign brought honours and promotion to many, but for me it had nothing but misfortune and disaster. I was removed from my brigade and attached to the Berkshires, with whom I served at the fatal battle of Maiwand. There I was struck on the shoulder by a Jezail bullet, which shattered the bone and grazed the subclavian artery. I should have fallen into the hands of the murderous Ghazis had it not been for the devotion and courage shown by Murray, my orderly, who threw me across a pack-horse, and succeeded in bringing me safely to the British lines.

Worn with pain, and weak from the prolonged hardships which I had undergone, I was removed, with a great train of wounded sufferers, to the base hospital at Peshawar. Here I rallied, and had already improved so far as to be able to walk about the wards, and even to bask a little upon the verandah, when I was struck down by enteric fever, that curse of our Indian possessions. For months my life was despaired of, and when at last I came to myself and became convalescent, I was so weak and emaciated that a medical board determined that not a day should be lost in sending me back to England. I was dispatched, accordingly, in the troopship "Orontes," and landed a month later on Portsmouth jetty, with my health irretrievably ruined, but with permission from a paternal government to spend the next nine months in attempting to improve it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

I should have fallen into the hands of the murderous Ghazis
Ah, that's the same family that Hillary paid to murder Americans.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I'm sorry Australia, but the Pretty Borders Faction demands your destruction. That's simply intolerable. Look at Austria to learn how borders should be shaped.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Guavanaut posted:

That doesn't change that raising prices doesn't work when you're dealing with an addiction (otherwise nobody would use heroin) and all it achieves is milking as much money as possible from addicts and casual users alike.

The experience of the US would tend to disprove that: smoking rates have fallen fastest in places that have jacked up the costs faster, and that was before e-cigarette things came about to drop off "real smoking" even faster (they're dorky as poo poo but they're finally helping my dad to quit smoking and soon nicotine after like 45 years). And it's still quite high in many places that have kept the prices low.

Many people have quit or severely cut the amount they smoke due to higher prices, or due to the need to go out of their way to other states to buy cigarettes at a "reasonable price". The time-lapse map of the US helps show it, because it shows per capita cigarette purchases rather than smoking percentages - so merely getting people to smoke fewer cigarettes is reflected as well.

And then furthermore, the increased tax revenue from 100% and higher taxes on cigarettes, as has happened in some places, has had substantial portions earmarked for other anti-smoking measures.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Quorum posted:

And if I'm reading this post correctly it argues that the US isn't a democracy because it's a republic, and it isn't a republic because it's a democracy. :psyduck:

"Are we a [strict] republic? No, because we have some elements of direct democracy." "Are we a [strict] democracy? No, we have many republican elements." Seems straightforward to me.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Torrannor posted:

What technicalities disqualifies the USA from being a country? Is it that sovereign individual states bullshit?

What about being a democracy? Is it because the minority could win the House, Senate and Presidency if the stars align?

But I'm really stumped about technically not being a republic.

On the topic of democracy vs. republic, it has recently become a thing as isolated idiots try to insist that America isn't a Democracy but is definitely a Republic. They say Democracy is bad because of mob rule, and Republics are good, because reasons. But the underlying reason for all of this is because Democracy sounds like Democrats, and Democrats must be bad, while everyone knows Republicans are good. Which is hilarious, because these people have apparently forgotten that the USSR/Russia was/is also a Republic.

If you want to be silly and pedantic about it, the most descriptive way to describe it would be to say that the United States is a Democratic Constitutional Republic.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
It's easier to wage wars as Republic, but in the long run a Democracy is better.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well there's a box labeled "does not matter much"

Surprising, for a whole continent.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

On the topic of democracy vs. republic, it has recently become a thing as isolated idiots try to insist that America isn't a Democracy but is definitely a Republic. They say Democracy is bad because of mob rule, and Republics are good, because reasons. But the underlying reason for all of this is because Democracy sounds like Democrats, and Democrats must be bad, while everyone knows Republicans are good. Which is hilarious, because these people have apparently forgotten that the USSR/Russia was/is also a Republic.

If you want to be silly and pedantic about it, the most descriptive way to describe it would be to say that the United States is a Democratic Constitutional Republic.

it's because libertarians have a fetish for the Roman Republic and like to think of themselves as idealized citizen-soldiers

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PittTheElder posted:

I'm fairly sure this is just a rehash of an older argument vs. democracy, where the names and the positions of the two main political parties in the US just happen to align rather well. That's not to say that the way you present the argument isn't one way it's pushed among their core voters, but the old problem of the plebs just voting for whoever promises them free stuff probably gets pushed too. I mean, isn't that the whole point of the welfare queen myth?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Uncle Jam posted:

Alright here is one

Why the United States...

Why is the United States (spelled) "rice country"?
Why does the United States favor Israel?
Why the United States needed Adolf Hitler... (name of some conspiracy book)
Why did the United States drop the atomic bomb (on Japan)?
Why (doesnt?) the United States decrease the amount of guns? (Another book)
Why is the United States strong?
Why did the United States drop the atomic bomb? (again)
Why does the United States (use) English?

This one is actually "why has cancer decreased in the USA"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

LimburgLimbo posted:

This one is actually "why has cancer decreased in the USA"
Is it because of more guns? :v:

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
Only Jesus can save us from rising sea levels? Or is this Greater Deseret?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Jesus will save us from Mormons and Jews at the expense of a fair number of Southern Baptists and Catholics. Maybe He's a Lutheran.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Jesus will save us from Mormons and Jews at the expense of a fair number of Southern Baptists and Catholics. Maybe He's a Lutheran.
It makes sense that an omniscient being would pick the one true religion.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Quorum posted:

No this is super wrong sorry! A union of states can become a nation-- just look at Switzerland, or Germany! Typically it involves a new governing document indicating the transition, or else a constitutional crisis in which a 'new' interpretation of the original document wins out. Guess which one we had!

And if I'm reading this post correctly it argues that the US isn't a democracy because it's a republic, and it isn't a republic because it's a democracy. :psyduck:

You are correct about not technically being at war though.

My post may not have been 100% serious.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

From what game is this?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

the jizz taxi posted:

From what game is this?
HoI4. (It's not out yet; screenshot is from the devs' MP game.)

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I went looking for a map of the Thirty Years' War and found what might be one of the worst maps I've seen:

Oh, and there's more. :unsmigghh:

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
Don't look at 16th and 17th century political maps. They'll drive you insane slowly. Trying to actually understand all the little baronys and archbishophrics and counties and duchies will drive you to drink.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Lord Hydronium posted:

I went looking for a map of the Thirty Years' War and found what might be one of the worst maps I've seen:

Oh, and there's more. :unsmigghh:

I'd play this game so hard.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Gorau posted:

Don't look at 16th and 17th century political maps. They'll drive you insane slowly. Trying to actually understand all the little baronys and archbishophrics and counties and duchies will drive you to drink.
come on, this is great:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Letmebefrank posted:

Mind map is a map?

I tried to make some sense on who is bombing who now.

A lot of this depends on interpretation, or which faction is dominant in a country, etc. That being said...

Iran and Iraq are buddies
Iraq is buddies with Assad
US is indeed allied with Turkey (they haven't moved against Turkey in any way I'm aware of)
Hezbollah should be on here.

I've been thinking of my own chart, and yeah its pretty complicated too.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

HEY GAL posted:

come on, this is great:

I unironically love looking at this map. It's fascinating to look at in the same way that a fractal pattern is interesting. Worlds within worlds...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

DrSunshine posted:

I unironically love looking at this map. It's fascinating to look at in the same way that a fractal pattern is interesting. Worlds within worlds...

Germany inside France inside Germany

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

It reminds me of a ridiculously gerrymandered American city map. Like, tap "Birmingham AL" into google and look at the resulting stupidity. I've never understood why American cities do this.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

freebooter posted:

It reminds me of a ridiculously gerrymandered American city map. Like, tap "Birmingham AL" into google and look at the resulting stupidity. I've never understood why American cities do this.

I don't think you understand what gerrymandering is.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

freebooter posted:

State laws about annexation by cities.

Relevant map (in YouTube form):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=445Z1Dc5-Rw

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

HEY GAL posted:

come on, this is great:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7d/Holy_Roman_Empire_1648.svg/4000px-Holy_Roman_Empire_1648.svg.png
Same map at 4000 pixels wide.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Letmebefrank posted:

Mind map is a map?

I tried to make some sense on who is bombing who now.

Suggestions:
Terrorism might need to be a both-ways arrow for the Kurds and Turkey.
A "opposed" or "foes" line between Iran and the Saudis.
Connections for the Saudi entanglement in Yemen.
Connections for Jordan, Israel and Lebanon/Hezbollah. Possibly also African connections such as Libya, Egypt and Sudan.

twoday posted:

some things never change

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/navy/art5-w98.htm

quote:

When I first arrived in Indochina in 1953, the French were mainly fighting in the Red River Delta. This was the key French area in North Viet-Nam, . . . [with a] fortified French battle line. The French headquarters city was Hanoi. When I arrived I checked in with the French briefing officer and asked what the situation was in the Delta. He said:

Well, we hold pretty much of it; there is the French fortified line around the Delta which we call the "Marshal de Lattre Line"--about 2200 bunkers forming 900 forts. We are going to deny the communists access to the 8 million people in this Delta and the 3 million tons of rice it produces. We will eventually starve them out and deny them access to the population.

In other words, this was the strategic hamlet complex seen five thousand times bigger. There were about 8,000 villages inside that line. This fortified line also protected the rice fields then, whereas now the individual strategic hamlets do not protect the same fields. "Well," I said, "do the communists hold anything inside the Delta?" The answer was, "Yes, they hold those five black blotches" [on a map]. But at the University of Hanoi, which was under national Vietnamese control, my fellow Vietnamese students just laughed. They said that their home villages inside the Delta were communist-controlled and had communist village chiefs, and just about everybody else said the same thing: that both the French and the Vietnamese Army simply did not know what was going on.

Most of these villages were, in fact, controlled by the communists and I decided to attempt to document that control. It was actually very simple. To the last breath a government will try to collect taxes. So I used a working hypothesis; I went to the Vietnamese tax collection office in Hanoi to look at the village tax rolls. They immediately indicated that the bulk of the Delta was no longer paying taxes. As a cross-check on my theory I used the village teachers.

The school teachers in Viet-Nam were centrally assigned by the government. Hence, where there were school teachers the government could be assumed to have control. Where there were none, there was no government control. [I produced a map that showed] the difference between military "control" and what the communists controlled administratively, which was 70 percent of the Delta inside the French battle lines! This was one year before the Battle of Dien Bien Phu, in May 1954. In fact, the [official military situation maps--showing only small, isolated areas believed to be less than 30 percent French-controlled-- were] complete fiction and had absolutely no bearing on the real situation inside the Delta. Of course, when regular communist divisions became available to attack the Delta in June 1954, the whole illusion collapsed. . . . The last French battle line before the ceasefire [lay deep in a zone that was, in fact, solidly] communist-infiltrated and, of course, it collapsed overnight. That is revolutionary warfare. You now have seen the difference between the two.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HEY GAL posted:

come on, this is great:

My favorite map.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

C.M. Kruger posted:

Suggestions:
Terrorism might need to be a both-ways arrow for the Kurds and Turkey.
A "opposed" or "foes" line between Iran and the Saudis.
Connections for the Saudi entanglement in Yemen.
Connections for Jordan, Israel and Lebanon/Hezbollah. Possibly also African connections such as Libya, Egypt and Sudan.

Some additions and changes based on comments:

-Israel would mess up everything by adding those magenta lines everywhere.
-Yemen and palestinians will mess up the picture as well, leaving them out
-Russia has actually bombed ISIS now and then , so no question mark there
-I have no clue of relationship between Iraq and Assad
-Is Turkey bombing ISIS at all?

Done with CMaptools, so I can give the file if someone is interested to edit their views.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013
It would be a lot cleaner with a key, rather than labels on all the coloured lines.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Undead Hippo posted:

It would be a lot cleaner with a key, rather than labels on all the coloured lines.

Something like this http://i.imgur.com/ggkVIuM.png ?

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Yep. I think that's a lot easier to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The politically loaded part is that Turkey is labeled Turks.