Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

maybe you should write a letter to ira glass about it

Lutha Mahtin posted:

holy poo poo, is this burger science episode new? it's the gooniest topic i have ever heard and it's amazing lol

e: and holy poo poo zoe chace schools the nerdy burger marketing dudes omg holy poo poo

Maybe you should write extremely retarded poo poo like this.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

sometimes she lobs a never ending train of softballs that were seemingly handed to her by her guest's PR team. other times she digs in on some really small point, and most of the time she does this I've felt like she chose to seize on that particular point not out of critically examining the issue or the person she's interviewing, but rather how "controversial" she thinks it will be among some hypothetical "npr liberal" listener who is coincidentally as dull as a box of rocks. or she adds a bunch of affected upward inflections to a "question" that she knows the answer to but maybe wants the listener to think is "controversial" or "unsettled" or that we will only know because she is asking this person this question. or her guest will tell a really heartwarming story about giving kites to children in refugee camps who have never seen kites before, and her response is "wow, that's a great story" with the tone of voice that says she is commenting on how awesome it would be to have that story to tell, but who cares about the those kids

im mad. mad about radio

Lmao.

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

An Enormous Boner posted:

Lmao.

You're supposed to quote things that are stupider than things you say.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

watho posted:

You're supposed to quote things that are stupider than things you say.

I refuse to believe you actually think what I said is stupider, and so I thank you for your support.

Anyway if you write big inane posts and your first post is criticizing someone's voice then you don't get to be so cool.

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 12, 2015

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
There's an episode of Longform from a little while ago, it's an hour long interview with Ira Glass and it's got some neat insights about TAL. I'm about halfway thru it and so far it's cool, and IG is more down on himself and early mistakes he made than I would have thought.

Also, stop fighting :(

e: Ira Glass says gently caress and poo poo unedited, never heard this tender morsel of a man use that kind of language

Kings Of Calabria fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 13, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Lmao.

yes, criticizing someone's interview style for being milquetoast is in any way similar to claiming that one understands the inner psychological workings of some woman* and how that relates to her manner of speech. like are you even trying (you're obv not, but phrasing it like that is more polite)

*this is important because when people complain about the voice of someone on NPR it's always they're complaining about a woman

e:

and yes, including the fuckin postscript where i say "mad. mad about radio" shows i am 100% sincere and serious about this. fuckin hahahaha

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 13, 2015

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yes, criticizing someone's interview style for being milquetoast is in any way similar to claiming that one understands the inner psychological workings of some woman* and how that relates to her manner of speech. like are you even trying (you're obv not, but phrasing it like that is more polite)

*this is important because when people complain about the voice of someone on NPR it's always they're complaining about a woman

I hate the way she speaks because she's a woman and I hate women (even though I want to have sex with them, I hate them because they control the flow of sex more than me and Im jealous -- By the way I wish I was a woman). I am atheist.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

She on purpose exaggerates her inflection for dramatic effect like every other human being on earth, but she does it with a particularly unpleasant accent, highlighting the bad parts of that accent. This somehow is a problem for you to deal with . I want to burn all women alive.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Please stop posting

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

She on purpose exaggerates her inflection for dramatic effect like every other human being on earth, but she does it with a particularly unpleasant accent, highlighting the bad parts of that accent. This somehow is a problem for you to deal with . I want to burn all women alive.

You're incredibly stupid.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

soggybagel posted:

You're incredibly stupid.

Rest assured that you are the dumb rear end.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

:frogout:

e: could you link that interview with Ira Glass? It seems really interesting.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

watho posted:

:frogout:

e: could you link that interview with Ira Glass? It seems really interesting.

You're quoting some stupid bullshit that shouldn't be happening ITT, but I assume you actually mean to ask about what I was talking about last night - search "The Longform Podcast" - the show titles follow that GUEST NAME - SUBJECT format and Ira Glass is in the recent archives. It is really cool. I've been listening to TAL since I got my first car in the early 2000s and there's definitely been a change since then, and Ira goes into some poo poo from the 90s that I had no idea about and talks about the arc that brings them to today. They really did set out to do something new and the way everything fell into place is really interesting. The interview is done in a strange format that I've never heard, where Ira gets some time to sit on his part 1 answers and respond in full (without knowing exactly what he said in part 1) in part 2. Very weird to hear him say that he felt steamrolled by a few guests, and that he knows some bits just didn't work because of deadlines. Overall I'd say it's worth a listen, because TAL is kind of a gold standard production and even after 20 years IG secretly seems to see it as a flawed pursuit. Now when I listen to TAL i'm not going to hear his stiffness between some segments as a "neurotic jew" trope but really as a genuine nervousness. tldr good poo poo.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Alright, I found it. Thanks!

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Kings Of Calabria posted:

There's an episode of Longform from a little while ago, it's an hour long interview with Ira Glass and it's got some neat insights about TAL. I'm about halfway thru it and so far it's cool, and IG is more down on himself and early mistakes he made than I would have thought.

Also, stop fighting :(

e: Ira Glass says gently caress and poo poo unedited, never heard this tender morsel of a man use that kind of language

There's a Doug Love Movies episode with Ira Glass, and he got WASTED on the show. It wasn't quite "watching Bob from Sesame Street get drunk" unsettling, but it was pretty weird.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

The Modern Leper posted:

There's a Doug Love Movies episode with Ira Glass, and he got WASTED on the show. It wasn't quite "watching Bob from Sesame Street get drunk" unsettling, but it was pretty weird.

Ha no way, I'm gonna check it out. He's def an interesting guy, I've always thought of him as just some whiny wiener that talks between funny people but I love media and want to know more about what makes him tick now.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

The Modern Leper posted:

What episode is this? I wanna hear it, but I can't seem to find it.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

drainpipe posted:

What episode is this? I wanna hear it, but I can't seem to find it.

Holy poo poo. I may have created a complete memory for myself out of his story on WTF.

http://m.thisamericanlife.org/blog/2011/09/iras-blackout-drunk

I swear he was on DLM, but I'm not finding any evidence of it either. Bummer.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Guess who else hates Zoe Chace? :tinsley:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I thought Zoe Chance was the little kid speech impediment one, the flat talking one is everyone else in public radio.

With the exception of the aforementioned Fresh Air movie critic's horrible accent and Diane Rehms' literal throat disease voice, I guess.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think Zoe's inflection is annoying, but the worst offender is Ira Glass. When he asks questions of a guest, presumably to inform the audience, he makes me w ant to strangle him.

"WHAT?!?! I'm an educated adult male in his 50s who doesn't know this thing?!?!"

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

UltraRed posted:

I think Zoe's inflection is annoying, but the worst offender is Ira Glass. When he asks questions of a guest, presumably to inform the audience, he makes me w ant to strangle him.

"WHAT?!?! I'm an educated adult male in his 50s who doesn't know this thing?!?!"

Not to mention that he can't say "American".

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

tis amercan life I'm Ira Glass and this week

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

axolotl farmer posted:

tis amercan life I'm Ira Glass and this week

From WBEZ Chicago, it's This Amerikung Life. Stay with us.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I bet when Ira Glass was little, he was one of those kids who couldn't say the R or L sounds, instead making a W sound. Hot analysis ITT

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I just listened to that "conversation" between Ira und Zoe in the burger science episode, holy poo poo. I mean, they're not actors, but that dialogue sounded like straight out of an elementary school theater production. How can you work in radio for years and not be able to fake a conversation with someone.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Yeah what the gently caress, eh?

For REALLY bad conversation faking check out Limetown/Tanis/Black Tapes Podcast.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

bad day posted:

Yeah what the gently caress, eh?

For REALLY bad conversation faking check out Limetown/Tanis/Black Tapes Podcast.

Limetown is shamefully bad at this and I can't figure out why it's always so high on the ratings list.

This week's Home of the Brave, which usually competes with Love+Radio for my fave podcast spot, had a cringy "fake heaviness" interview episode this week, complete with exasperated sighs and trailing-off sentences to mark where the interviewee just can't. Though the description said some were scripted and some were not, and it was produced an an experiment in the 80s, it was still terrible.

Haven't noticed it much in TAL but maybe zoey is too busy focusing on her fake rear end accent to concentrate on flow (please argue about this again cause I like when this thread has replies :P)

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Limetown doesn't stick out as particularly bad to me, but the Black Tapes Podcast is painfully bad at fake conversation and only getting worse with time. The story is entertaining enough that I keep with it, but the conversation really is awful.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The Night In Question was a great episode. Good to see that conspiracy theory idiots are a universal human trait across all cultures.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Yeah I dig the stories of all three podcasts I mentioned (plus The Message) but they all lack believable voice acting.

I think using the Serial format to tell a fictional story has lots of potential and we might end up with a podcast along the lines of House of Leaves that reaches Serial-level EPIC PODCAST EVENT status. But they're gonna have to hire real actors.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

bad day posted:

I think using the Serial format to tell a fictional story has lots of potential

Do go on...

Anyway, it looks like maybe they forgot to renew their domain? I am getting generic placeholder page from thisamericanlife.org

Whoops!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

idk if this has been mentioned to death but, reminder that sarah koenig's dad was involved in one of the most successful advertisements of all time:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_Small

i go back and forth on whether her rich-girl upbringing allows her to be objective when it comes to her reporting on us lower classes, or if it makes her clueless

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The best journalists only cover people from their background. So for a rural story, you have a reporter from the sticks, for a baking story, get someone who went to culinary school. Liberals cover liberals and athletes cover athletes. If you're writing about the richest person on Earth, nobody can report on him. Them's the breaks

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
Though it may not have been TAL she did do a bit where she played his last interview and discussed the impact of the think small ad. It was sometime in the last year and was p good iirc. I'll look thru the archives when I'm at the computer.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It was the TAL about Volkswagon.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
If you listen to Startup, this week's episode goes into how a podcast episode is prepared, including all the scripted-spontaneous conversations.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Lmao.

Hahaha

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I hate the way she speaks because she's a woman and I hate women (even though I want to have sex with them, I hate them because they control the flow of sex more than me and Im jealous -- By the way I wish I was a woman). I am atheist.

You sound stupid man

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
This week's episode is pretty great. "You're eleven..." "...yeah." Laughed out loud a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

This last episode is one of those pantry episodes where they just lift segments from older ones and compile them into a new theme.

Good stories, but none are new :/

• Locked thread