Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So I've come to the conclusion that Harvestcraft is kind of a cluster gently caress of bad code and unfulfilling features and I am helping provide art assets (I'm really behind on this front :negative: ) and acting as sounding board for ideas for a bud's mod that is trying to make a farming/cooking mod similar to Harvestcraft but not terrible. So far he has some neat ideas to spice up cooking and make it fun with the basic goal of "the mod is as deep and complex as you let it get".

What kind of features and such do you guys think are missing from most farming/cooking mods and where do you think most fail at? The mod is still at a very early stage so now is the time for working on ideas.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Enzer posted:

So I've come to the conclusion that Harvestcraft is kind of a cluster gently caress of bad code and unfulfilling features and I am helping provide art assets and acting as sounding board for ideas for a buds mod that is trying to make a farming/cooking mod similar to Harvestcraft but not terrible. So far he has some neat ideas to spice up cooking and make it fun with the basic goal of "the mod is as deep and complex as you let it get".

What kind of features and such do you guys think are missing from most farming/cooking mods and where do you think most fail at? The mod is still at a very early stage so now is the time for working on ideas.

-produce storage and crafting
-a reason to craft the complex foods (mild buffs based on ingredients, i.e. spicy food makes you hit harder???)
-plants that get planted on water (rice, hydroponics)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

McFrugal posted:

I've been playing Refuge and boy does it seem dumb as hell. The creator seems to really hate alloys for some reason, so most of them are restricted to seeds instead of being able to make them via dusts. Except... you can just make them via the smeltery? Not aluminum brass or bronze, though. If you try to make those via the smeltery you get NOTHING. The molten metal just vanishes, because setting the result to 0 ingots in the config doesn't disable the recipe it just voids out the result. This was done to aluminum brass to force you to use gold for casts... except I don't see any way to even get aluminum, as the seeds require aluminum and there's no ore in the world. I have no idea why he did the same thing for bronze.

So basically I've been doing nothing but crossbreed seeds for the past two days of work on the pack and it's really really boring. Is there anything more to Refuge past the seed crossbreeding bullshit?

I could make a meteor shield right now, since there was a mystery meteor landing nearby and the recipe wasn't changed. Yet... there seem to be no meteor landings? I haven't heard any explosions and notifications are turned off entirely. What is the endgame, if not that?

Refuge is like half finished.

Enzer posted:

So I've come to the conclusion that Harvestcraft is kind of a cluster gently caress of bad code and unfulfilling features and I am helping provide art assets and acting as sounding board for ideas for a buds mod that is trying to make a farming/cooking mod similar to Harvestcraft but not terrible. So far he has some neat ideas to spice up cooking and make it fun with the basic goal of "the mod is as deep and complex as you let it get".

I'd make it like Witchery potion brewing in a microcosm. Witchery potions can be crazily complex because you can make multi-stage six effect insanity hellbrews if you really dig into it, or you can make fairly simple, easy potions. Have the foods you farm be associated with various effects (be creative! don't stick the the standard run fast, jump high, hit hard, tank hits, and heal lots potions - some interesting effects witchery can do is a potion that tills land, plants seeds, forcibly grows the seeds, then harvests them, and is a big splash potion you can throw) that you can stack up. Possibly with some negatives, with other crops that offset negatives, etc etc

Just god don't make it include hunger nerfs

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Magres posted:

I'd make it like Witchery potion brewing in a microcosm. Witchery potions can be crazily complex because you can make multi-stage six effect insanity hellbrews if you really dig into it, or you can make fairly simple, easy potions. Have the foods you farm be associated with various effects (be creative! don't stick the the standard run fast, jump high, hit hard, tank hits, and heal lots potions - some interesting effects witchery can do is a potion that tills land, plants seeds, forcibly grows the seeds, then harvests them, and is a big splash potion you can throw) that you can stack up. Possibly with some negatives, with other crops that offset negatives, etc etc

Just god don't make it include hunger nerfs

Basically the idea is that, since this is planned to be used in a server environment, having basic stuff you can do with all the crops that mimic vanilla foods, but you can then use additional tools that further refines the food and opens up more recipes. And yeah, the idea is that more complex or resource intensive foods will give buffs or have various benefits. One neat thing he is doing is he has this system that is just being called off hand as miniblocks, for example there is a heating element that is more or less a stove top, it consumes food and turns on, doesn't do anything by itself, but you can right click different miniblocks on top of it and this dynamically changes the GUI and what foods you can cook. Currently planned is a skillet, saucepan, kettle and pot.

There are also other tool stations like a cutting board.

President Ark posted:

-produce storage and crafting
-a reason to craft the complex foods (mild buffs based on ingredients, i.e. spicy food makes you hit harder???)
-plants that get planted on water (rice, hydroponics)

We really liked how growthcraft handled rice, where you used a shovel to dig tilled earth and then filled it with buckets of water to make a rice field, that is something we would like to do.

Also, what did you mean by produce storage, any examples?

Enzer fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 16, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think TellTale has created the greatest mod for Minecraft...

Romance

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this is just reminding me that i find that 'slice of life' mod in blightfall to be horribly tedious and something that kills my will to actually participate in making cool food stuff. especially when the only reason is just to make eating and healing myself more difficult.

something that incorporates a lot of little benefits to experimenting with food is welcome by me.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

this is just reminding me that i find that 'slice of life' mod in blightfall to be horribly tedious and something that kills my will to actually participate in making cool food stuff. especially when the only reason is just to make eating and healing myself more difficult.

something that incorporates a lot of little benefits to experimenting with food is welcome by me.

yeah, the gimmick is that you need to explore in order to expand your recipe repertoire because each little POI has its own seeds/etc but it does get tedious after a while

then you fight the gaia guardian 2, get a fruit of grisaia, and never deal with it again :v:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Enzer posted:

We really liked how growthcraft handled rice, where you used a shovel to dig tilled earth and then filled it with buckets of water to make a rice field, that is something we would like to do.

Also, what did you mean by produce storage, any examples?

something like cooking for blockheads - a dedicated "crops, meats, milk, intermediary products, and cooked things goes in here"-type block (or multiblock) which can be expanded with a crafting table or an oven or something

so cooking for blockheads, basically

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Glory of Arioch posted:

yeah, the gimmick is that you need to explore in order to expand your recipe repertoire because each little POI has its own seeds/etc but it does get tedious after a while

then you fight the gaia guardian 2, get a fruit of grisaia, and never deal with it again :v:

i definitely get the gimmick behind it and all, but in a pack like blightfall which has so much going on already it just comes off as super loving tedious. welcome to blightfall! the world is hostile! you have a shitload of magic to research! power and various metals are incredibly scarce! on top of it all, you need to learn an entire cooking system and constantly make like 30 different things just so you're actually able to eat!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Magres posted:

Ughhhhh that's the case for almost every pack I try, it seems. It's gotten to the point where I avoid playing a modpack until like months after I hear about it, in the hopes that it's finished.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

You can make a healing axe even sooner!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Enzer posted:

So I've come to the conclusion that Harvestcraft is kind of a cluster gently caress of bad code and unfulfilling features and I am helping provide art assets (I'm really behind on this front :negative: ) and acting as sounding board for ideas for a bud's mod that is trying to make a farming/cooking mod similar to Harvestcraft but not terrible. So far he has some neat ideas to spice up cooking and make it fun with the basic goal of "the mod is as deep and complex as you let it get".

I want to think there's a place for involved cooking but I think most people would rather die than deal with it--especially if somebody decided to make it the main food component of a mod pack. I think the main things in Blightfall right now that keep me from enjoying Harvestcraft is the tedium of dealing with dough, butter, and cheese. The each require containers of fluids, and cannot be done in bulk in a regular crafting grid. I actually went through a whole routine of setting up a circular assembler so I could bulk produce these intermediate ingredients.

As for goofy things, I could see a place for hydroponics because I could see people getting behind making :420:automated hydroponic farms:420:.

Something else that could see some use is micropropagation--particularly to duplicate hard-to-obtain saplings. I think there's a niche for this in questing mod packs.

For complete bullshit, I am sure I'm not the only one that would play a brewery modpack that completed sperged on details of brewing, from malting to mashing to boiling to fermenting and everything in between. That would be something I could see doing after I have finished just about everything else just for shits and giggles. It would serve absolutely zero in-game purpose.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'll be honest here, if a 'cooking' mod dealt with you growing a bunch of weird plants and poo poo and eating them for various effects instead of going for some semblance of realism i'd probably be more interested. like, more along the lines of strange alien/magical stuff a la botania except instead of making functional stuff for weird rube goldberg contraptions you're growing stuff likes vines, moss and odd mushrooms to eat for various buffs/debuffs.

e: gonna add stuff like trees to this as well, because trees that grow weird junk are also cool

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 16, 2015

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Rocko touched on this but it's essential for any system that requires constant use like food

Unstackable materials suck balls to craft with and milk/water make me want to go vegan in food mods. Some system for getting stacks of milk/water sources for crafting food, or a dummy item in the crafting station that automatically drains from a nearby container for crafting would help immensely. I know there's already a liquicrafter in another mod, but this is a necessity for any cooking mod using milk as an ingredient.

also cosmetically more foods like cake. Soups that drain more from a placed bowl, Pizzas that take away slices as you eat, stuff like that for a banquet hall of goodness

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i liked it when modular powersuits had a thing that would automatically feed you using food in your inventory :shobon:

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
My only request for a new food mod is please don't go too far overboard with how many new crops you add. HarvestCraft adds like 8 billion things and some of them are utterly worthless or we have 500 different versions of the same exact food. When you add a new crop or other new foodstuff, please just ask yourself if you can add a meaningful number of new, final food items with it, and not just one more variety of this food other items already make.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Going back to the previous convo,

One of the worst mod packs out there was EE2 (now Project E)

It was the goto on any server, Make the chest pump cobblegens into it,

Say hello to unlimited Diamonds/ emeralds etc. Just get one and dupe it from cobble.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

TheresaJayne posted:

Going back to the previous convo,

One of the worst mod packs out there was EE2 (now Project E)

It was the goto on any server, Make the chest pump cobblegens into it,

Say hello to unlimited Diamonds/ emeralds etc. Just get one and dupe it from cobble.

well ee2 was a mod, not a mod pack, but yeah it was unmitigated cancer and i'm glad to see it gone from modern packs

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

yep i am using redpower block breakers and redpower pipes to transfer items into a condenser yep yep

every chunk my pipe nest is in is sending megabyte-sized packets every tick and the server is literally catching fire

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

well ee2 was a mod, not a mod pack, but yeah it was unmitigated cancer and i'm glad to see it gone from modern packs

But.... but.....

Project E is in Tekkit Legends

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

TheresaJayne posted:

But.... but.....

:negative:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Serifina posted:

My only request for a new food mod is please don't go too far overboard with how many new crops you add. HarvestCraft adds like 8 billion things and some of them are utterly worthless or we have 500 different versions of the same exact food. When you add a new crop or other new foodstuff, please just ask yourself if you can add a meaningful number of new, final food items with it, and not just one more variety of this food other items already make.

yeah, i think this is a big thing that gets me. for some odd reason there's a million things you can make and literally the only real difference is how much hunger it all restores. given how banal the hunger system already is it doesn't exactly add much to the experience.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

But.... but.....

so is buildcraft and bees

I'm not sure what the point of that pack is except to remind everyone that modding has come a long way from that garbage

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

remember when the buildcraft guy used to charge for buildcraft documentation

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Did someone ask for an "interesting" hunger system? :q:

TerraFirmaCraft posted:

Every piece of food consists of five separate taste categories: Sweet, Sour, Salty, Bitter, and Savory. These taste values are affected by changes to the food such as cooking, salting, pickling, etc. For crops, the taste of the harvested product is dependent on the pH and drainage levels of the area.

The tastier the food, the more saturation it will give. When making a sandwich or salad, all of the tastes of the individual ingredients are added together to determine the taste of the final result.

Sandwiches have a minimum required weight of 7 oz. The type of bread used in the bread slot determines the icon of the finished sandwich. The remaining four ingredients can be any combination of food that means the minimum weight requirement that does not repeat a specific base ingredient. For example: Carrot, Carrot, Tomato, Potato is not a valid combination because Carrot is repeated twice. 

For the majority of food, the decay level is represented via the durability bar on the item, as well as a numerical percentage on the tool-tip. The exception to this rule is milk, which has a tool-tip message of Fresh, Old, or Sour. The durability bar is green during the first 10% of decay, and then turns red. The rate at which a piece of food decays is dependent on the item, as well as the ambient temperature. Light levels affect temperature, so the best place to store food is in a cool, dark place.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm pretty sure that's a stroke in word form

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Nomikos posted:

tfc food at least didn't physically prevent you from eating if you hosed up your nutrition, you just took a ding to your max health instead

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i just want to shove a fistful of weird moss into my mouth, is that so much to ask for

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I want a banquet table that makes miyazaki films blush in that food mod

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

I want a mod that makes literally everything that doesn't currently have a use when you right click edible

tonight's main course is iron ingots with a side of wooden doors :chef:

But really having a bunch of unconventional items in food recipes to give weird effects might be fun. What happens if you sprinkle in a little redstone into your flour, or mix some pyrotheum dust into your curry?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I know this isn't going to be a common viewpoint, especially for people playing in this thread, but on a server I played with some friends, Pam's HarvestCraft filled a really fun role. A friend of mine would go hiking every morning to various towns and biomes to bring back seeds and crops, then, when she had enough gathered up, built a little restaurant with a decorated kitchen, cultivated a garden in the back of cinnamon trees, fruit orchards, herbs and veggies, and proceeded to make a variety of meals for the entire server. She'd put up menu signs and "meals of the day" and stock individual chests for people to come in and grab their portions, and really loved the complex recipes and the huge variety of foods to make. We were playing with Spice of Life, but only over a fairly short list of remembered recipes (unlike Blightfall's huge list that penalizes you for eating bread twice in a month).
In the end, it wasn't a huge difference. Food is all functionally the same, it's just a matter of how much hunger/saturation it fulfills, and even that's mostly just fixing problems that Spice of Life introduces, without which you could easily just stock up on bread or steaks forever.

But it felt really nice, and she had a lot of fun being the server's cook, no matter how long we seemed to play. And it was always nice to come back from a small mining party to find a special treat like saltwater taffy accompanying a handmade meal. :3:

I know it's not what most people would want or care about, and it wasn't efficient in the way tech mods are or anything, but it was fun for what we played.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think you'll find a shortage of people here who would be willing to heavily invest in something incredibly pointless in the grand scheme of things, but that situation kinda depends on a lot of stuff that a fair amount of players probably don't have access to. a big one being having multiple players around who are able to go out and do other important things while you're presumably cooking every kind of dish in existence instead of, well, doing anything else. it's a pretty large-scale mod competing with a shitload of other large-scale mods, most of which have more direct and important functions when it comes to progressing. most would probably rather be able to focus more on the other things and occasionally take the time to crank out some random junk to eat to stay alive instead of having to worry about some nebulous list of what they may or may not have eaten in the last 30 or so ingame days while being swamped with a gigantic list of food items that are only different in terms of name and sprite.

i'm sure it's cool to have the people available to where someone can entirely focus on some poo poo like cooking, because god knows i've sat there and bred bees like a dumbshit while my friends delved into thaumcraft or explored the world, but i feel like a lot of players would appreciate a cooking mod that caters more towards giving interesting effects that will compliment a more active playstyle than some Real Life Simulation Mod that 'accurately' portrays the process of making scrambled eggs and subsequent inability to eat more of them due to having some within the past month.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

I know this isn't going to be a common viewpoint, especially for people playing in this thread, but on a server I played with some friends, Pam's HarvestCraft filled a really fun role. A friend of mine would go hiking every morning to various towns and biomes to bring back seeds and crops, then, when she had enough gathered up, built a little restaurant with a decorated kitchen, cultivated a garden in the back of cinnamon trees, fruit orchards, herbs and veggies, and proceeded to make a variety of meals for the entire server. She'd put up menu signs and "meals of the day" and stock individual chests for people to come in and grab their portions, and really loved the complex recipes and the huge variety of foods to make. We were playing with Spice of Life, but only over a fairly short list of remembered recipes (unlike Blightfall's huge list that penalizes you for eating bread twice in a month).
In the end, it wasn't a huge difference. Food is all functionally the same, it's just a matter of how much hunger/saturation it fulfills, and even that's mostly just fixing problems that Spice of Life introduces, without which you could easily just stock up on bread or steaks forever.

But it felt really nice, and she had a lot of fun being the server's cook, no matter how long we seemed to play. And it was always nice to come back from a small mining party to find a special treat like saltwater taffy accompanying a handmade meal. :3:

I know it's not what most people would want or care about, and it wasn't efficient in the way tech mods are or anything, but it was fun for what we played.

We had a few players on our server that did the exact same thing (by the way, was that player named Emtheory?). The guy coding this mod is designing it around our server's principles (enhancing vanilla minecraft by fleshing out everything and filling in the gaps). We end up not playing with any tech mods or straight up magic mods. We saw mods more of a thing to allow our players to further build up the world, make a little bit more alive, and then we would go around and install npcs, quests and do server wide events. We also used to run a modified version of Spice of Life that encouraged variety in your diet but didn't heavily penalize you if you ate nothing but the basic vanilla foods. We've been kicking around the idea of a baked in nutritional system, but nothing that would outright penalize the person who doesn't want to worry about farming and such.

Harvestcraft worked well enough, but there were some parts of it that came off as rather clunky and could be tightened up. Since Pam has no interest in updating to 1.8 (apparently she is getting MrCrayFish to update the mod to 1.8?) and our server is relaunching with a 1.8 modpack, we've decided to write a few mods to basically cover everything we've felt were missing, so far I have done a mod that adds a poo poo ton of additional building blocks and one that overhauls crafting and material progression. One of our members has offered to make a farming/cooking overhaul, originally it was going to be a straight port of Harvestcraft, but after going over the mod a second time it was determined that there wasn't really anything we were interested in keeping. The mod is going to be fairly low tech and not look out of place alongside vanilla minecraft.

I agree about liquid storage being an issue, one of the blocks we have a cistern that acts as a straight infinite water source you can use nearby.. ingredients that use milk will probably be dealt with on a per item basis. I mostly see you needed it for things like cheese or butter and we are already kicking around the idea of a churn for butter, so maybe we will have the churn capable of holding multiple buckets of milk? We want to play with brewing down the line (we already have bee keeping figured out and more or less implemented plus barley, so throw in hops plus vanilla wheat and you have a few types of alcohol that we can play with right off the bat), but if we are already going to have a keg item, it could probably use that to store other liquids as well and then maybe have a stackable container for liquids to be used in recipes. Honestly we are not to concerned about recipes as I think he isn't going for straight 3x3 crafting grids for stuff so right now its more tool implementation and deciding on what crops he wants to work with and if we want certain plants to require some upkeep (kicking around the idea that fruit trees need to be tended to from time to time for optimum production) for those who find farming games to be more interesting and would rather focus on that kind of stuff.

I guess it is kind of hard asking for input because the mod needs to fill a very specific niche: We have mods designed for the builders, mods designed for those who like to explore and do quests, mods to make crafting more interesting and resources more valuable and give a reason to explore more dangerous areas (I've posted about this at length in the general minecraft thread), and this will be a mod for those who like to farm and cook.

That said we now have a few new things to consider and the Cooking for Blockheads wasn't something we were aware of so that has some interesting ideas to look at so thanks for that.

ptroll posted:

I want a mod that makes literally everything that doesn't currently have a use when you right click edible

tonight's main course is iron ingots with a side of wooden doors :chef:

But really having a bunch of unconventional items in food recipes to give weird effects might be fun. What happens if you sprinkle in a little redstone into your flour, or mix some pyrotheum dust into your curry?

It is for 1.6.2, but there was a Bear Grylls Mod that allowed you to eat every item in the game.

We will probably stick to conventional food types, but maybe I'll suggest a few weird items that grow on mushroom islands or in the nether. A few nether crops that help with surviving in there longer actually might be pretty nice to have.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i don't think you'll find a shortage of people here who would be willing to heavily invest in something incredibly pointless in the grand scheme of things, but that situation kinda depends on a lot of stuff that a fair amount of players probably don't have access to. a big one being having multiple players around who are able to go out and do other important things while you're presumably cooking every kind of dish in existence instead of, well, doing anything else. it's a pretty large-scale mod competing with a shitload of other large-scale mods, most of which have more direct and important functions when it comes to progressing. most would probably rather be able to focus more on the other things and occasionally take the time to crank out some random junk to eat to stay alive instead of having to worry about some nebulous list of what they may or may not have eaten in the last 30 or so ingame days while being swamped with a gigantic list of food items that are only different in terms of name and sprite.

i'm sure it's cool to have the people available to where someone can entirely focus on some poo poo like cooking, because god knows i've sat there and bred bees like a dumbshit while my friends delved into thaumcraft or explored the world, but i feel like a lot of players would appreciate a cooking mod that caters more towards giving interesting effects that will compliment a more active playstyle than some Real Life Simulation Mod that 'accurately' portrays the process of making scrambled eggs and subsequent inability to eat more of them due to having some within the past month.

Going off this, we don't want farming and cooking to be a chore, but optional enjoyable gameplay, something that is fun to do, but there is a pretty fine balance of scratching the harvestmoon itch and making poo poo boring and frustrating. We encourage players (thought they are certainly free to run off and do their own thing) to group together and make and expand settlements because it gives us a basis to introduce stories and run events and give us additional opportunities for the admins to interact with the playerbase (for example on one of our maps we had two very large cities fairly close to each other, Bellshire and Baia Mare. Baia Mare, despite being very large, ended up being abandoned and so after a few months we claimed it for event use and had a bunch of npc soldiers from Baia Mare attack Bellshire and the players had to defend and then go raid Baia Mare where we introduced additional plot twists. After the event we then held a build event to turn the city into ruins and then filled it with respawning npc mobs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=293kOtIutco ). Our players typically form distinct groupings and everyone ends up figuring out what they are good at and then being the area's main architect or cook or what have you.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 16, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Man, I've been playing Crash Landing and it's a really interesting mod with some really painful parts. I died as a result or thirst or a freak mob accident so many times that I just started cheating to avoid permadeath, and the cities are just ludicrously, excessively dangerous. However exploring the cities combined with the slightly skyblocky base is pretty neat, I just wish it wasn't so unfairly dangerous in the cities with hardcore - even with sync losing all your good items in the city is pretty much screwed for good without abusing creative mode, and pigmen can pretty much one shot you if you're naked, while armor makes you overheat rapidly which will also get you killed and waste all your water, and you need absolute shittons of iron to progress past the crap tier stuff you have by the time you need to explore the cities.

I'd love a crash landing style mod that was a liitle bit less hostile and maybe replaced pneumaticraft which seems a bit excessively expensive and overcomplex just to get basic stuff.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

I just started Regrowth and just want to know if there is a questline for AE, because I really feel like cheating in a storage system but don't want to mess up the quests.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

I just started Regrowth and just want to know if there is a questline for AE, because I really feel like cheating in a storage system but don't want to mess up the quests.

i'm not far enough in to Regrowth yet to be able to make certus seeds but one thing you can do that is less "cheaty" is to cheat in a Storage Drawer's drawer controller

you technically need nether quartz and a diamond to make it, and there IS a quest for it, but it's so goddamn nice to be able to right click on one block twice and stow all your poo poo that i feel like it really makes the early game more tolerable and is worth it

my first diamond went to a drawer controller, no regrets

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

AE has a questline, but it's just about the last thing you unlock. I think I just manually sorted stuff until I got a thaumcraft golem to do it for me.

McFrugal posted:

So basically I've been doing nothing but crossbreed seeds for the past two days of work on the pack and it's really really boring. Is there anything more to Refuge past the seed crossbreeding bullshit?

I wouldn't know, I got sick of breeding seeds and went to play something that's actually fun. It may get better, but I completely lost any faith in the modmaker's abilities at that point.

Wolfsbane fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 16, 2015

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I think a neat compromise for a food system would be that all food restores your hunger bar just fine, but to maintain good health you need to maintain a diverse diet, and not just 5 different kinds of meat, but actually try to mix fruits and veggies in. Having good nutrition gives you slight bonuses like movement speed and haste that are low level but last as long as you are healthy.

You could even have junk food to jack up your hunger quickly, and be quick to eat and with a short buff to haste, but have it tank your nutrition score if you eat too much.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Wolfsbane posted:

AE has a questline, but it's just about the last thing you unlock. I think I just manually sorted stuff until I got a thaumcraft golem to do it for me.

I wouldn't know, I got sick of breeding seeds and went to play something that's actually fun. It may get better, but I completely lost any faith in the modmaker's abilities at that point.

yeah, breeding seeds sucks, but there's a way to do it "automatically"

the way crop breeding works is that any time a crop propagates to a cross-bar stick, it is guaranteed to at least be as good as its parent plant and frequently it's better

so you can just set up a long line of soil with a bunch of sticks on it and not touch it for hours

agricraft normally has "weeds" that can grow on unattended crop sticks, but this is disabled in Regrowth

so you can just use a line of crop sticks and automatically raise plants up to 10/10/10 without any input on your part other than occasionally clearing out a full row to give them more space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Nomikos posted:

I liked the old TFC food system better. The recipes were randomized, but some of them would give potion effects. So it gave a reason to experiment with different recipes until you found some you liked. Finding food that gave water breathing or night vision or whatever was nice. It wasn't that intrusive; you could just live on peppers forever if you wanted. The current food system is just not fun in any way. It's a pain in the rear end to manage the food because it doesn't stack so you have to manually combine it. Then the whole decay thing. The nutrition system gimps your health and makes it impossible to go out into the world, because it's entirely overrun by OP skeletons under trees that can 2-shot you. Oh and you have to drink water, which requires carrying jugs of it around which randomly break when you drink from them.

The only thing TFC ever did right was mining, metalworking and the chisel. I'm one of those crazy people that enjoys being underground digging for ore, and then makes a storeroom with ingots stacked to the ceiling.