Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've actually never really understood the idea of canon. This isn't a religion, it's a fictional universe written by a ton of different authors (ok same thing but the later isn't treated as seriously). Who cares what fox says is canon, or even what a particular writer says is canon if it conflicts with something else you personally like better.

I don't see AvP as "canon" because it's stupid. Half the comics take the universe and overall plot terrible places so gently caress it. I view the Alien franchise as a slightly more unified SCP foundation, just a bunch of spoopy space stories written around a very general theme and setting. Enjoy the ones you like and ignore the ones you don't. If two things you enjoy slightly contradict each other don't worry about it, it's unreliable narrator or something.

Also in my head blade runner, alien, and total recall are all in the same cool gritty corporate distopia scify universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

wuffles posted:

My personal theory is that there is a being that gives rise to the engineers that compels them to create xenos--for what reason, I'm not sure. It is the source of the black goo, which is like the royal jelly fed to a regular larvae to make it become the new queen in a honey bee colony. But to make the xeno form the engineers revere (note the position of the xeno relief up high in the chamber while the engineer head is on the ground level, watching over the vessels of goo), the jelly/goo has to be applied to humans--not directly to engineers. Think about it, what happens to each organism that contacts it in Prometheus?

The engineer consumes a cup full and disintegrates, seeding life that would evolve into humans who only have a partial assembly of the full Engineer DNA. Perhaps just the right combination to combine with the goo to make a xeno.

The worm turns into an aggressive snake thing with some xeno-esque features.

Fiefield takes a face full of it and transforms into something that looks really similar to a xeno in the original design, which I think was intentionally obscured in the revised scene for the theatrical release to keep from being too on the nose with it. There are hints though: they refer to him as the Wolf-man, a mythological monster who hides within a man (in his genes) that shows itself when triggered by the moon (goo).

The small amount given to Holloway is slowly transforming him, including his sperm, same as Fiefield but slower. But here's the thing; his sperm that he deposits in Shaw to impregnate her are gametes...they're haploid cells--half the chromosomes of human somatic cells that combine with the goo to make a xeno or proto-xeno. That's why it's a hosed up squid thing, it's not the way things are supposed to happen, but again it has some of the xeno traits.

That's also why the Deacon doesn't look like a xeno, it's a weird bastard child of this process gone awry and born out of an engineer.

The key to solving this mystery (for me) is what Holloway says to David, that humans made him because "they could". In his hubris, he's completely wrong. Humans made androids to do what they COULD NOT do themselves--like watch over them all during their time in chryo-sleep alone for years. Engineers made humans because they couldn't make xenos themselves--they need humans to accomplish their goal of creating xenos that are in the image of the god they worship--that's on display in the goo room.

That would explain why the last remaining engineer was so pissed when he was woken up. Weyland committed the ultimate blasphemy and threw it right in the engineers face: our role in their ritual is to die, and here he is asking for eternal life through a false god (David) of his own creation and image.

Last point in this really long post. This means the xenos and the engineers are bound to one another through this god the engineers worship, the one that gives rise to them both. Like an ant colony, the xenos have a queen and sterile (female) drones. But where are the males? The ones who can fly and whose job it is to disperse the species into new territory, breed, and die? In my mind, the (seemingly all male) engineers fill that role. Because, like I mentioned above, if an organism is confined to what amounts to an island in an interstellar sea, your chances of extinction are 100%, it's only a matter of time if you can't colonize new habitats.w
Fun fact: in the comics and novels there's literally a substance called Royal Jelly that acts like real life bee/and royal jelly does, with the side effect of it acting somewhat similar to the Black Goo (complete with crazy mutations sometimes).
The idea in the comics predates Prometheus by a good 20 years. :v:

Alhazred posted:

Didn't the queen die in that process?

Well yeah, but that was because the Newborn outright killed her.
Aside from that the process worked! :suicide:

Lurdiak posted:

Speaking of things that aren't canon...
I happen to like the idea that the Engineers have creators/"gods"; Shaw even mentions the idea in the movie at one point.

I like to think its the Space Jockeys from Alien - it's even thematically appropriate in the sense of creations usurping their creators, and the Engineers trying to make themselves be in the image of their creators.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lurdiak posted:

Mad Max has been doing that for ages. It's pretty sweet.
Yeah, Warhammer40k does the same thing, it lets them soft-reboot entire races' back stories (Necrons) and hand wave it as "what makes you think any story is reliable?"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Xenomrph posted:

I like to think its the Space Jockeys from Alien - it's even thematically appropriate in the sense of creations usurping their creators, and the Engineers trying to make themselves be in the image of their creators.

I hate what they did with the mystery of the space jockey so I've just told my self the engineers are not the space jokeys, they just base their space suits off theirs. I mean it's hard to say because we see the engineers on earth like billions of years ago seeding life, so engineers have existed unchanged for a super long time. At the same time in alien the ship they find and the space jockey have been fossilized, a process which takes a very very long time (although not billions of years). The space jockey was actually melded with its "chair" while the engineer was not, despite the design being almost 100% identical. If they are separate species who came first? Also the engineers don't really match their ships/technology. The space Jockey, the aliens, the ship are all obviously designed by the same person. The engineers are just scaled up humans. I loved the idea that the aliens, the Space Jockeys, and all their related technology and life came from some horrific area of space full of similar bio-mechanical lifeforms.

It's probably the one thing I can't "get over" from Prometheus. They took one of the most mysterious and alien aliens in all of scify and made it the most boring humanoid startrek "alien" just wearing a suit. I always found the Space Jockey to be way more interesting than the aliens them selves, it's such a compelling mystery that I would have rather had unsolved vs what Prometheus did with it.

Has anything been "officially" said regarding the Space Jockey from alien? Was it just a dead engineer in a suit? I can take everything else in Prometheus, but not that.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 14, 2015

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Never claimed it was, in fact I stated the it was a personal theory right up front, so I don't understand your point.

Scott has mentioned the Prometheus sequel(s) will tie in with Alien and explain some of its origins and that is simply my best guess as to how it might play out.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Lurdiak posted:

It's totally canon: Shaw asks "They created us; what created them?" :v:

I think humans being created as a "necessary" part of the alien's lifecycle assigns far too much meaning and purpose to our existence, at least for the themes of Prometheus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRa_xmJ4zXg

They made us because they could.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Baronjutter posted:

I've actually never really understood the idea of canon. This isn't a religion, it's a fictional universe written by a ton of different authors (ok same thing but the later isn't treated as seriously). Who cares what fox says is canon, or even what a particular writer says is canon if it conflicts with something else you personally like better.

I don't see AvP as "canon" because it's stupid. Half the comics take the universe and overall plot terrible places so gently caress it. I view the Alien franchise as a slightly more unified SCP foundation, just a bunch of spoopy space stories written around a very general theme and setting. Enjoy the ones you like and ignore the ones you don't. If two things you enjoy slightly contradict each other don't worry about it, it's unreliable narrator or something.

Also in my head blade runner, alien, and total recall are all in the same cool gritty corporate distopia scify universe.
Personally I agree with you. Take what you like, leave what you don't, be happy and enjoy it. If someone else tells you to accept/ignore something, gently caress 'em.

Canon "matters" from a franchise standpoint because narrative cohesion is useful for world-building or maintaining a continuous series, but strict adherence to it can stifle creativity or cause authors to write themselves into a corner.

Fans/nerds generally miss the point and fixate on specific attention to minutiae detail at the expense of recognizing a story's themes and ideas (or just plain old good/fun/interesting storytelling).

When the Star Wars canon got thrown out there was a lot of gnashing of teeth, but I didn't care. I have a couple Star Wars books I like to re-read because they're fun and I don't give a poo poo that they're "officially not canon".

Baronjutter posted:

I hate what they did with the mystery of the space jockey so I've just told my self the engineers are not the space jokeys, they just base their space suits off theirs. I mean it's hard to say because we see the engineers on earth like billions of years ago seeding life, so engineers have existed unchanged for a super long time. At the same time in alien the ship they find and the space jockey have been fossilized, a process which takes a very very long time (although not billions of years). The space jockey was actually melded with its "chair" while the engineer was not, despite the design being almost 100% identical.

It's probably the one thing I can't "get over" from Prometheus. They took one of the most mysterious and alien aliens in all of scify and made it the most boring humanoid startrek "alien" just wearing a suit. I always found the Space Jockey to be way more interesting than the aliens them selves, it's such a compelling mystery that I would have rather had unsolved vs what Prometheus did with it.

Has anything been "officially" said regarding the Space Jockey from alien? Was it just a dead engineer in a suit? I can take everything else in Prometheus, but not that.
I agree and have the same opinion that the Space Jockeys and Engineers aren't the same, for mostly the same reason. Frankly I think Ridley Scott made them visually different on purpose, to make the connection open to interpretation.

And no, nothing official has said anything about the a Space Jockeys yet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Its never been officially stated because its self-explanatory. The Engineer in Prometheus is piloting a ship that looks exactly like the derelict ship from Alien, and he's wearing the same type of suit sitting in a very similar position as the Space Jockey. Its hard for me to come up with any other explanation.

The Engineer in Prometheus was in a life-support pod for those two thousand years. The Space Jockey just died in his chair so his body fossilized, much like the corpses the crew of Prometheus find laying around, although they don't seem to have been there as long as the Space Jockey has.

But hey if it makes you feel better to think up some other explanation, more power to you.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!
Was it a Space Jockey, or was it... ancient aliens?

:laugh:

Really though, I doubt any answer to what the Space Jockey is would be satisfying.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Party Boat posted:

It's totally canon: Shaw asks "They created us; what created them?" :v:

Oh, sorry, I was unclear, I was saying I really don't consider Prometheus canon to the Alien universe. It's easier that way.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hodgepodge posted:

Was it a Space Jockey, or was it... ancient aliens?

:laugh:

Really though, I doubt any answer to what the Space Jockey is would be satisfying.
I don't want an answer, and that's why I reject the one from Prometheus. :v:

Basebf555 posted:

Its never been officially stated because its self-explanatory. The Engineer in Prometheus is piloting a ship that looks exactly like the derelict ship from Alien, and he's wearing the same type of suit sitting in a very similar position as the Space Jockey. Its hard for me to come up with any other explanation.

The Engineer in Prometheus was in a life-support pod for those two thousand years. The Space Jockey just died in his chair so his body fossilized, much like the corpses the crew of Prometheus find laying around, although they don't seem to have been there as long as the Space Jockey has.

But hey if it makes you feel better to think up some other explanation, more power to you.
I still say it's up for interpretation. The corpse in Alien had a fossilized tongue in its open mouth.
Also the proportions are really different, and the aesthetics of both the ship and the suit are similar, but demonstrably different. Likewise the Juggernaut (the ship from Prometheus) is subtly but noticeably different from Alien.
It's as if the Engineers tried to copy the Space Jockey visual style, and didn't quite get it right.

I mean we're talking Ridley Scott here. If he wanted the Engineers and Juggernaut to be absolutely identical to the Space Jockey and Derelict, he could have. But he didn't, and I don't think that was an accident.

Sure you can handwave it and still keep the Engineers and Space Jockey the same, but I think there's enough room for interpretation to allow for other ideas.

Fun fact: the movie 'Soldier' with Kurt Russell is meant to be in the same "universe" as Blade Runner. No, really.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

I mean we're talking Ridley Scott here. If he wanted the Engineers and Juggernaut to be absolutely identical to the Space Jockey and Derelict, he could have. But he didn't, and I don't think that was an accident.

I guess I have to concede that point because I was just having a very similar conversation with my roommate the other day where I was on your side of the argument.

He was trying to say that the Xenoish thing that comes out of the Engineer at the end is clearly meant to be the same as the classic Alien, and that doesn't make any sense at all because it took a pretty wacky sequence of events to create it, so its quite a coincidence that the same exact thing happened hundreds of years later in Alien right?

I tried to explain to him that no, this is clearly something genetically related to the classic Alien, but you can see differences in the texture of its skin, the mechanics of its mouth, etc. Since my roommate is a very casual movie fan and maybe has only seen each Alien film once, he's like "whatever man, just because the skin is a little different doesn't mean poo poo, that's clearly the thing from Alien!". He just wouldn't take my word for it that no, Ridley Scott didn't just accidentally change all that stuff about the Alien, if it was changed it was for a very specific reason. He just rolled his eyes because to him I'm a movie nerd who reads to much into these things.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Exactly. And the idea of "similar, but not the same" is a recurring motif in the movie, to boot. David and humans, humans and Engineers, the Deacon and Xenomorphs... why not Engineers and Space Jockeys?

-edit

Also did you strap your roommate to a chair and force his eyes open Clockwork Orange style and make him re watch Alien?
And if not, why not? :colbert:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 14, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My useless uninteresting fan theory is that the Space Jockeys are super ancient aliens that come from the same neighbourhood or "family" of lifeforms that the alien comes from, or they made them. If you look at earth animals, yeah we have some weird poo poo but to an alien a bear or a raccoon or a dog or a cat or a horse all look related. Pretty much all earth animals have the same organs and skeletal structure, from a cat to a bat to a whale, even birds and lizards are similar enough. There's some planet or corner of the galaxy where life evolved and/or was engineered over time to look like Geiger's very distinctive designs. I imagine all sorts of creatures, cities, entire landscapes that are 100% Geiger. This isn't "earth but with different plants and animals", this is an absolutely alien family of life and technology. Maybe the Space Jockey is nothing more than a bio-mechanical navigator, purpose created to act as the brains of the ship and nothing more. Perhaps everything in this alien domain are purpose-designed bio-mechanical creatures that blur the line between robot, sentient life, and structure/technology. The alien eggs could just have been a bio-weapon designed to prep a planet for colonization, hell the aliens could just be yet another servant species so this alien "society" if you could even call it that. Much like humans terraforming planets, the Space Jockey may have been on a similar mission. We don't know what the end-game for an alien infestation is, perhaps their hives eventually serve another purpose, or other unseen life forms come from their life-cycle or are supposed to be added later. The aliens might just be step 1 in establishing a whole ecosystem of Geiger creatures.

I like that idea that the aliens are just the tip of a massive penis themed bio-mechanical iceberg. I like the idea that this whole "family" of Geiger-life has absolutely no relation or interest in humans. And I think what would keep the franchise fresh is to stop obsessing over the specific alien we see in the movies and instead develop this whole family of life and the society (if it even is one) that created it. I want poo poo so weird and alien we feel the alien is relatable to. I want planetary hives of eldrich geiger life that think and act in ways we cannot comprehend or relate to in any way. I want the aliens and what ever created them to be just a minor part of a massive lovecraftian web of horrible alien intellect and ancient maddening motives.

Where do the engineers fit in? I don't know, stupid boring humanoids like us who reverse engineered this society's tech in the hopes of spreading our sort of life around the universe a bit so the galaxy isn't just a soup of geiger poo poo?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Also did you strap your roommate to a chair and force his eyes open Clockwork Orange style and make him re watch Alien?
And if not, why not? :colbert:

He's really not a movie person at all, the only reason he even watched Prometheus is because it was on one Sunday morning when he was hung over. He's not looking to re-watch Alien or any movie ever, he'd rather go out with friends or play guitar or something(he's a much more functional person that I am).

From my experience the idea of re-watching movies is a bizarre concept to a lot of people. The topic of Lawrence of Arabia came up at a family dinner the other night and without thinking I said "Oh man I love that movie! I watch it every few months!". This drew worried looks as my extended family all collectively wondered just how much of my free time I spend sitting on my rear end watching movies.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In a good movie there's more stuff than can be digested or even noticed in a single viewing. I'm certainly not a "movie guy" but I can stand to watch some really good movies multiple times, either after enough years or reading some new take on the movie or watching it socially with other people

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

He's really not a movie person at all

:ohdear:

Euthanize him. It's for the best, really.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I go back and forth about the issue of whether the Engineers created the Xenomorph from the black goo, or if the Xenomorph already existed somewhere and the black goo is a byproduct of the Engineers experiments on them.

Right at this moment I lean towards the Xeno as a creation of the Engineers. It fits into the themes of fatherhood/godhood and what it means to be a creator, which are so important to pretty much every character in the movie. The Engineers created a being that is better than they are, and so they put it on a pedestal and even maybe worship it. That is contrasted by Weyland who has accomplished the exact same thing, he's created a lifeform that is superior to himself, and yet he can't recognize it or give any validation to it because he is more concerned with personally living forever. The very thing he's striving for, he's already given to somebody else but he doesn't even realize how amazing that is because he's so self-centered.

This is also a theme at the centre of Blade Runner, albeit in a different form.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The key to Prometheus is in how the opening scene is interpreted.

Shaw, of course, believes that the statue-man's disintegration is the literal story an Ancient Alien landing on a primordial Earth and 'seeding' it with life. This interpretation has become generally accepted as 'canon'. (Although Scott himself has noted that this specific scene doesn't necessarily take place on Earth, it's still considered analogous to what 'actually did' happen here.)

The trick is that Shaw has totally misinterpreted the imagery; the alien man did not emerge from the UFO to sacrifice himself. He is sacrificing himself to the UFO. That's to say that the guy in the opening scene has no idea what his own God wants from him, and he himself is acting on faith.

We can even assume that this whole scene is taking place on their own homeworld.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's cool to see complaints that Prometheus didn't explain things occasionally come from the same people that complain about Nolan's exposition.

But yeah, that opening is beautiful and amazing and enigmatic. When I saw it at the movies, the girl I was with had literally never watched a sci fi film. Talk about getting thrown in at the deep end.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Baronjutter posted:

Has it actually been determined if queens are the only way the aliens can make more of them selves, or can a single loose drone eventually establish a colony ala Alien Isolation / Alien deleted scenes. Because if a single drone can't reproduce if in isolation that makes them fairly useless in the long run.

Pretty sure the player character Alien in one of the AVP games end up turning into a queen.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

SirDrone posted:

Pretty sure the player character Alien in one of the AVP games end up turning into a queen.

Yes the 2010 game by Rebellion. At the end of the campaign the player alien is taken to a facility and matures into a queen. Here's the scene on YouTube

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!
In my headcanon any unit can turn into a queen because chess.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I think it's kind of dumb that "xenomorph" became the de facto name for the Alien species. It was just Gorman's fancy pants way of saying "alien life form".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I think it's kind of dumb that "xenomorph" became the de facto name for the Alien species. It was just Gorman's fancy pants way of saying "alien life form".

Yet at the same time there's equally awful alien fans that will launch into a massive rant about how calling the alien the xenomorph is incredibly incorrect and anyone who calls it that is not a true fan. I'm just going to call them something less controversial like "legos".

It is kinda weird though how they're never given an official name. Not even in alien 4 does the science dude call them something? Wans't some latin name thrown around or was that only in the comics?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 15, 2015

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Sorry.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gargamel Gibson posted:

It's slightly better than just calling them "Alien".

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gargamel Gibson posted:

It's a unique-sounding word that's convenient and easy to recognize, so you're not saying something clunky like "capital-A Aliens" or "the Aliens from the Alien movies". I'm pretty okay with it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

It's a unique-sounding word that's convenient and easy to recognize, so you're not saying something clunky like "capital-A Aliens" or "the Aliens from the Alien movies". I'm pretty okay with it.

This is exactly why I use the word. Normally I wouldn't use a nonsense term like that if I could just say "alien", but when the franchise is named "Alien", it makes for some confusing sentences.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Eighth Passengers.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Baronjutter posted:

Wans't some latin name thrown around or was that only in the comics?
There are two: internecivus raptus ("murderous thief") and linguafoeda acheronsis ("foul tongue from Acheron").
Not very catchy.

You would think that in the third and fourth movies Weyland-Yutani/USM would have given them some name, at the very least something boring like Species 4582.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lurdiak posted:

It's slightly better than just calling them "Alien".

The Aliens, from Aliens.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

david_a posted:

There are two: internecivus raptus ("murderous thief") and linguafoeda acheronsis ("foul tongue from Acheron").
Not very catchy.

You would think that in the third and fourth movies Weyland-Yutani/USM would have given them some name, at the very least something boring like Species 4582.

Yeah it's always just "it" or "the creature" or "they".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah it's always just "it" or "the creature" or "they".

That big motherfucker.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tangentially related, but one of the characters in 'Predators' calls one of the Predators a "space human being".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Xenomrph posted:

Tangentially related, but one of the characters in 'Predators' calls one of the Predators a "space human being".

Problematic

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It does continue a trend of calling the Predator sexually derogatory things ( "ugly motherfucker", Predator; "pussyface", Predator2), though!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Xenomrph posted:

Canon, especially in the Alien series, is pretty much whatever you want it to be. Fox has been semi-vague on what is and isn't canon to the point that you're better off making up your own mind.

What's officially "canon" according to Fox:
- all of the Alien/Prometheus, Predator, and AvP movies, including both theatrical cuts and alternate cuts of movies where appropriate
- Alien Isolation and it's prequel comic
- the "Fire and Stone" comics (Aliens, Predator, AvP, and Prometheus
- the 6 new Aliens, Predator, and AvP novels from last year, this year, and next year
- the Colonial Marines Technical Manual
- the new Weyland Yutani Report book that's coming out soon (it's basically a spiritual successor to the Technical Manual)

FOX has been making s point to actually oversee new authors and maintain a "canon bible" and all that crap, not unlike Lucasfilm does with Star Wars.

Is the old stuff no longer canon? Fox hasn't said. The new stuff generally doesn't contradict the bulk of it, and occasionally makes little references to it, so you can kinda make up your own mind.

I personally like the idea of "fuzzy continuity", where everything is an unreliable source and open to interpretation. It allows for minor contradictions (so you're not discarding things wholesale just because "oh source X shows a pulse rifle that's brown, but all pulse rifles are OBVIOUSLY green" or some poo poo) and it allows for mutually exclusive stuff to coexist.

Naturally this viewpoint pisses off a lot of hypernerd fans who absolutely NEED everything to fit together perfect and need every little detail explained. :v:

I guess they reneged on the whole Aliens Colonial Marines being canon thing? Bringing Hicks back was the most fan servicey and pointless thing in that whole game.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

It does continue a trend of calling the Predator sexually derogatory things ( "ugly motherfucker", Predator; "pussyface", Predator2), though!

That's because it's a vagina who kills muscly men covered in phalluses. Predator is not a subtle movie. gently caress it owns. It really owns that one of the most beloved action movies of all time is really about psycho-sexual emasculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

blackguy32 posted:

I guess they reneged on the whole Aliens Colonial Marines being canon thing? Bringing Hicks back was the most fan servicey and pointless thing in that whole game.
Colonial Marines is one of those "not contradicted, but not outright confirmed" things.