Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Srice posted:

4 has a fine cast of characters and the only person anybody remembers from 6 is Terry.

Carver and Amos are pretty great thanks to party chat, and the other guys aren't really terribly boring or uninteresting, just mediocre after Dragon Quest loving 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I unlocked a hidden or maybe just announced character in DQ Heroes.

Psaro

So coooooooooooooool looking in this game.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
So no hero from DQ1 and nobody from DQ2?? I figured they'd have at least one character from one of those games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Srice posted:

4 has a fine cast of characters and the only person anybody remembers from 6 is Terry.

The Hero, Milly and Ashlynn, because I used them in battle. The job system makes everybody kinda blank slates so I'm hard pressed to remember anybody's story

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Crimson Harvest posted:

Psaro

Oh drat I want this

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

So no hero from DQ1 and nobody from DQ2?? I figured they'd have at least one character from one of those games.

Everyone whose in right now had at least some vague personality in their debut or gained one in their DS releases. Unfortunately the main characters are all silent protags and tend to have very similar skillsets anyway.

I guess V and VII have some wiggle room for that last part at least. VI had a job system in it's DS version so you can do whatever with anyone there I guess.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 15, 2015

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Psaro

I thiiink he was a DLC character in the JP Release?

Also I hope they make those DQIII Main Character costumes available soon, those were pretty badass looking.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
What are the community events the game mentions?

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

What are the community events the game mentions?

From the PSN Blog, for every weekend until January 31, 2016

Every week (Saturday) midnight to 12 noon PDT
Bonus EXP campaign – During the event the amount of EXP earned will be increased by 20%!
Every week (Saturday) 12 noon to 11:59 pm PDT
Rare item campaign – During the event the chances of obtaining rare items will be doubled!
Every week (Sunday) midnight to 12 noon PDT
Bonus gold campaign – During the event the amount of gold earned will be increased by 20%!
Every week (Sunday) 12 noon to 11:59 pm PDT
Bonus EXP campaign – During the event the amount of EXP earned will be increased by 20%!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In Training posted:

The Hero, Milly and Ashlynn, because I used them in battle. The job system makes everybody kinda blank slates so I'm hard pressed to remember anybody's story

Job systems are cool and so are large party sizes, but I don't think the two mix well...

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Like 15 years ago when ROM translations were new and hip, I played DQVI and I liked it the best out of the SNES Dragon Quest games because of job classing and all that junk. I think as time has gone on with the DS remakes, IV and V are probably better at this point.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

There is a really good LP of DQV in the archive. It's definitely worth reading to get an idea of what the game is about. As for actually playing it, go with the DS or PS2 (english patch) versions as you get an extra party member and more recruitable monsters.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Srice posted:

Job systems are cool and so are large party sizes, but I don't think the two mix well...

FFT and Tactics Ogre make it work just fine.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I really dislike how menu heavy DQH is. I know it's an intentional thing to mimic the actual DQ games but while I don't mind it there, I feel it's extremely tedious in a game like this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I really dislike how menu heavy DQH is. I know it's an intentional thing to mimic the actual DQ games but while I don't mind it there, I feel it's extremely tedious in a game like this.

That is my #1 complaint about it. Nostalgia shouldn't carry over to slow interfaces.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Turning in achievements and monster kills for mini medals is baffling, as is completing quests.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

In Training posted:

Turning in achievements and monster kills for mini medals is baffling, as is completing quests.

It's the tedium of spending all the skill points of a new character that got me, especially since later on your mostly just getting the same old stat ups and passives.

What does deftness even do anyway?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caidin posted:

It's the tedium of spending all the skill points of a new character that got me, especially since later on your mostly just getting the same old stat ups and passives.

What does deftness even do anyway?

Critical hits.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Broke down and bought it in hopes that it'll support the western release of DQ11. It's a really good and charming game. I just picked up Isla so I'm early but I'm having a blast so far. I like that you can unlock more technical moves like the timed block and such, though it seems a little difficult to use in crowds.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

quick questions about DHQ.

when i hold down the dodge button i get a target painted on me. what is that? is that how i use heal stones? do i need to push anything to make it happen?

also, how do i tell my followers to stay somewhere - or do they have to follow me around at all times? it would be better if i could station them somewhere so switching characters was more useful.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Real hurthling! posted:

quick questions about DHQ.

when i hold down the dodge button i get a target painted on me. what is that? is that how i use heal stones? do i need to push anything to make it happen?

also, how do i tell my followers to stay somewhere - or do they have to follow me around at all times? it would be better if i could station them somewhere so switching characters was more useful.

Heal stones are to hold R1 then use the dpad the same way you would use a monster medal.

No, they follow you around at all times. If you could place them where you wanted then the whole monster medal thing would be kind of useless.

There's a lot of stuff DQH doesn't explain well or even tell you. Like if I have an accessory on Yangus that makes minions 8% stronger is that only if Yangus brings them out or everyone? What about the accessory that makes the defend target have more HP? And it would be cool if the game let me know that I killed/collected enough things to complete a quest. I was killing slimes forever expecting a pop up but never got one so I looked at the quest and it said I was done :shrug:

Fun game though. Yangus is still great.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Question about DQH, kinda. Getting around to see everyones super cool big flashy attack and realized I haven't seen Kiryl's despite liking the nerd.

I really don't get what's going on with his text box spam, can someone ruin the joke for me?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Question about DQH, kinda. Getting around to see everyones super cool big flashy attack and realized I haven't seen Kiryl's despite liking the nerd.

I really don't get what's going on with his text box spam, can someone ruin the joke for me?

You know those instant death spells RPG's usual have that tend to have an at best spotty success rate? That is what he is attempting to use before he gets pissed and casts a really big version of the spell.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's a reference back to his original appearance in Dragon Quest 4. In the NES version, all allies were AI-controlled, and Kiryl's AI tended to use Whack and Thwack more often than not, even when the enemy was immune to it or your team was in danger of dying.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I haven't played DQH yet but if the joke is the same as a prior text box spam joke it's him constantly casting and failing to connect with Beat.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

That would explain it, it's been awhile since I played a proper DQ game so don't remember all the silly names of some of the spells. Shoulda figured though.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Mr. Trampoline posted:

It's a reference back to his original appearance in Dragon Quest 4. In the NES version, all allies were AI-controlled, and Kiryl's AI tended to use Whack and Thwack more often than not, even when the enemy was immune to it or your team was in danger of dying.

Dragon Quest 4 for NES had this big deal learning AI gimmick that was the big point of distinction for its battle system. Once its AI learned something doesn't work, it wouldn't do it again on the same target. Unfortunately, this learning AI only integrated its learning AFTER fights, which led to Kiryl/Cristo spamming death magic to no effect all the time on boss fights.

When Dragon Quest 5 came out after this, it added a manual control option. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hokuto posted:

Dragon Quest 4 for NES had this big deal learning AI gimmick that was the big point of distinction for its battle system. Once its AI learned something doesn't work, it wouldn't do it again on the same target. Unfortunately, this learning AI only integrated its learning AFTER fights, which led to Kiryl/Cristo spamming death magic to no effect all the time on boss fights.

When Dragon Quest 5 came out after this, it added a manual control option. :v:

NES DW4's AI didn't "learn" anything. You could fight the same enemy 50 times and the AI would still do the same stupid poo poo every time. AI would use magic against metal slimes/babbles/kings all the time in addition to the sheer uselessness they had in boss fights.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Making this a legit joke will never not be the best thing to me.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Evil Fluffy posted:

NES DW4's AI didn't "learn" anything. You could fight the same enemy 50 times and the AI would still do the same stupid poo poo every time. AI would use magic against metal slimes/babbles/kings all the time in addition to the sheer uselessness they had in boss fights.

This is why I played Dragon Warrior 4 in an emulator, there's a cheat(I think, it's been a while) that let's you control your party members manually. Made the game much more bearable.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Evil Fluffy posted:

Which is why DQ4 isn't the best DQ game. If it didn't have that fatal flaw, most old school players would award it the title of supreme DQ overlord, I believe.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
DQ4 AI prepared me for Persona 3.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

pyromance posted:

DQ4 AI prepared me for Persona 3.

Hell same.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I have discovered that DQ Heroes has a new game + mode. I don't know what's in it yet cause I'm super tired.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BabyRyoga posted:

Which is why DQ4 isn't the best DQ game. If it didn't have that fatal flaw, most old school players would award it the title of supreme DQ overlord, I believe.

DQIV DS is the best DQ game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

In Training posted:

DQIV DS is the best DQ game.

I think V is the "better" game overall but I like IV a lot better.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Has anyone done the statue protection mission? If so can I get some advice because uh, this seems kind of impossible and randomly spikes in difficulty and I have -no- idea what to do.

Like my characters are all around 27-28 and have the best gear I could buy but everything here seems like such a obscene damage sponge, and by the end of it I have 2 hell gladiators and 4 hackasaurs ontop of me. One time during it all I used Kiryls Thwack special and when it was over two of my characters were just dead so I assume that has friendly fire on it or something? They went from full to 0 just out of the blue, and the same thing happened to the statue where it had 50% health and just vanished despite having 3 friendly hackasaurs protecting it as well as a few other smaller monsters.

This is just absurd.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh man that trial where you learn zoom is kinda hard isn't it, when you're fighting the automatrons and all the shield Knights who interrupt your attacks plus heal slimes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Has anyone done the statue protection mission? If so can I get some advice because uh, this seems kind of impossible and randomly spikes in difficulty and I have -no- idea what to do.

Like my characters are all around 27-28 and have the best gear I could buy but everything here seems like such a obscene damage sponge, and by the end of it I have 2 hell gladiators and 4 hackasaurs ontop of me. One time during it all I used Kiryls Thwack special and when it was over two of my characters were just dead so I assume that has friendly fire on it or something? They went from full to 0 just out of the blue, and the same thing happened to the statue where it had 50% health and just vanished despite having 3 friendly hackasaurs protecting it as well as a few other smaller monsters.

This is just absurd.

There are multiple statue protection missions so I'm not sure of the one you mean.

One thing though: Keep an eye out for SPELLCASTERS. They can utterly totally wreck your defense objections quickly.

Also make sure you're placing monster minions in checkpoints, not in front of the object you want to defend. They are there to slow enemies down. Once the enemy gets to the defense object the monster minions will not go after them aggressively enough to be good guards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Oh man that trial where you learn zoom is kinda hard isn't it, when you're fighting the automatrons and all the shield Knights who interrupt your attacks plus heal slimes

I got killed by the very last automatron when he was at low health. :argh: I didn't even think to use my tension guage til after. Then my second attempt at the mission, no automatrons appeared at all!