Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Jordan7hm posted:

- try Tricks and Traps on Ultra Violence. I don't think difficulty levels all that much in the stock maps, but this one's entire gimmick happens on UV

Can you elaborate on this? I haven't played it on anything below UV in a long time, so the only difference I remember is that there's way fewer invincibility powerups in that one room and there's a Cyberdemon in there.

The one big difference I noticed in the woffboyz' descriptions of the levels is that they conspicuously didn't get a Spider Mastermind in The Crusher. I hate that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HMS Boromir posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I haven't played it on anything below UV in a long time, so the only difference I remember is that there's way fewer invincibility powerups in that one room and there's a Cyberdemon in there.

The one big difference I noticed in the woffboyz' descriptions of the levels is that they conspicuously didn't get a Spider Mastermind in The Crusher. I hate that guy.

The cyberdemon is the thing - they got barons surrounding a baron, which means no infighting. It just seems like that level was set up to demonstrate the power of infighting. A fun combat scenario type map, invalidated on lower difficulty levels.

Woffle posted:

I played the vanilla Doom 2 from Steam using WASD and arrow keys. I eventually used a source port for mods, however.

Keyboard only, cool.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
This is a loving great RPS article on eve propaganda:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/10/01/eve-online-propaganda/

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

On one hand, I love hearing about Dragon Quest and it's history.

On the other, its a grim reminder of all the games that never made it over to the US.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm not sure in what ways Gary is going to get the word out about this so I hope he doesn't mind me pre-empting him. I'll edit this out if he/the mods don't like it being here:

Gary Butterfield, one of the nicest and most entertaining people in the world, host of podcasts such as Bonfireside Chat and Watch Out for Fireballs, is in some dire straits right now and could use our help. If you have a few bucks to spare or want to buy a shirt to support him, he (and I, as well. I love that guy) would surely appreciate it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Where are you currently living, gary, if you don't mind me asking? Like, geographical area. I may be able to help, depending.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I really don't need any more printed clothing items and I haven't subbed into the patreon yet so I kicked in a couple bucks directly.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

HMS Boromir posted:

I'm not sure in what ways Gary is going to get the word out about this so I hope he doesn't mind me pre-empting him. I'll edit this out if he/the mods don't like it being here:

Gary Butterfield, one of the nicest and most entertaining people in the world, host of podcasts such as Bonfireside Chat and Watch Out for Fireballs, is in some dire straits right now and could use our help. If you have a few bucks to spare or want to buy a shirt to support him, he (and I, as well. I love that guy) would surely appreciate it.

Awww man :(

I already send my Patreon bucks their way, but I donated anyway. Life is tough sometimes.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Captain Invictus posted:

Where are you currently living, gary, if you don't mind me asking? Like, geographical area. I may be able to help, depending.

I believe he's said that he's lived in the Portland area, but I'm not 100% on that so take it with a grain of salt.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I live in Portland. I'm currently jumping couch to couch with the plan of getting a permanent place in November with some buddies. I'm trying to find a place where I can keep Rors as well as record, and stay for more than a couple nights in a row. I spent the first couple nights at my old house but that didn't go well for either of us.

I appreciate you posting this, HMS, and any support anyone feels like offering. There's no pressure, of course. Just a rough week and a rough situation but I really appreciate all the support I've already received. Living "on the road" was appealing in my early 20s band days. At 35, it's traumatic.

EDIT: Also, before anyone points it out, I know there are people who are homeless year round, or who are homeless without my support network, and that there are people in parts of the world who have it much, much worse than I do. I'm not trying to make it out like I objectively have it the worst. It's a rough time, I know I feel awful and that I'm anxious all time, but I'm not trying to win any sort of misery/poverty contests.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 3, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ah, okay. I'm actually going to be renting out the addition on my house, probably like 100-150 a week with utilities included, though it's still being cleaned up/stuff moved out of it. I was going to say you could crash there for a bit if you really needed to, but I'm out by Boston, which is a good shake away from Oregon.

Woffle posted:

EDIT: Also, before anyone points it out, I know there are people who are homeless year round, or who are homeless without my support network, and that there are people in parts of the world who have it much, much worse than I do. I'm not trying to make it out like I objectively have it the worst. It's a rough time, I know I feel awful and that I'm anxious all time, but I'm not trying to win any sort of misery/poverty contests.
Anyone who says that in response to someone who is homeless/couchsurfing because they have no current home is a completely unsympathetic poo poo human being though

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
So I just listened to the latest Abject Suffering.

I completely forgot this one was my fault. Did a real double take hearing my name. I'm both sorry I did this to you and glad I spawned an accidental split EP and another blanket ban. I didn't know Mario's Early Years was an entire series of these things, I figured Preschool Fun was just the tagline.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Yikes, good you posted that Boromir, I had no idea; I've been behind on my podcasting due to my phone dying. Sent some money.

Is it too nosy to ask what's going on?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
The absolute destruction of discussion that ended the last Idle Thumbs has me in stitches, thank you all.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
gently caress yes, WOFF on King of Dragon Pass http://duckfeed.tv/woff/111

One of my favorite fantasy games of all time, and I've never been sold so hard on a fantasy setting. Go out and buy it if the WOFF episode makes it sound at all appealing to you.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

The Charlie Brown/Sanford and Son joke at the end of Video Games Hot Dog made me laugh so loving hard. Thank you.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I liked Zack's prescience in bringing up skeletons and puns in the assignment segment despite (as far as i know) not having played any of Undertale yet.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sans and Papyrus have escaped mere Undertale knowledge.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

gently caress yes, WOFF on King of Dragon Pass http://duckfeed.tv/woff/111

One of my favorite fantasy games of all time, and I've never been sold so hard on a fantasy setting. Go out and buy it if the WOFF episode makes it sound at all appealing to you.

I feel like Gary is trying to kill Kole with laughter in every episode, but this time he very nearly succeeds.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm sorry that I spoiled the skeleton jamboree, WOFF guys. :smith:

In my defense, it was before you actually announced the episode and I thought it was the best possible thing to show that would convince you to play it. Great episode! If you want a bunch of lorepostin' there's a thread in Trad Games about Glorantha.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

This week marks the first Crate and Crowbar using actual decent audio equipment and not just a single mic on a table! If the (lack of) audio quality frustrated you previously, it's a good time to check back in. There's still some minor things they still need to tweak (like learning how to use a de-esser), but the audio quality is massively better than it was previously.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
No chat about Tricksters?

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

chaos rhames posted:

No chat about Tricksters?

We talked about Tricksters. We said they're handy because they give you more options and that those guys who show up seem to want to put your trickster in a barn to have sex with some cows in exchange for magic.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Speaking to Arnold never disappearing into a role: go rent/VOD/whatever Maggie sometime. He plays a father trying to cope with his daughter's degenerative illness and it is the most human role he has ever played. It is also a smaller film that I think 10 people total ever heard of, so it kinda gets lost behind WELL HE'S PLAYING THE TERMINATOR A 47TH TIME as far as most people are aware of his career.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Despite numerous attempts to get this podcast recognized and never put in the OP, check out Gameinformer's weekly podcast for an interview with Toby Fox at the end (It's timestamped): http://www.gameinformer.com/b/podca...e-toby-fox.aspx

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
People don't read OPs.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I swore I added that. Maybe it was a dream. I'll go fix that.

Either way I ain't going near that interview but godspeed to whoever digs it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

END ME SCOOB posted:

Either way I ain't going near that interview but godspeed to whoever digs it.
I've not listened to it but why avoid it?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I'm so sick of hearing about Undertale is all. The writing in that game leaves me frosty.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
How far in did you get?

I won't try to force you to love it or anything, but the first hour and a half in my experience is more divisive and less good compared to the rest.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Captain Invictus posted:

How far in did you get?

I won't try to force you to love it or anything, but the first hour and a half in my experience is more divisive and less good compared to the rest.

I went with the demo and I have had various stripes of people try to convince me "no it gets better" with vagueries, video, specific things spelled out for me, etc., and absolutely nothing has made me more interested in paying for that game. So I didn't.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Speaking of which, this week's Video Games Hot Dog really took a load off my mind. When everyone else started publically fellating Undertale, I played a bit of it and didn't like it all. I felt like I was going crazy, and it made me feel a lot better about my understanding of games to hear some designers I respect talk about not liking it either.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I took a listen to their podcast, and one guy's whole conversation was that the battles are useless because they just give text makes me want to avoid it, cause that's some robot/data of Star Trek levels of analysis.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

I just wish text scroll was a smidge faster but other than that Undertale is simply amazing and its characters are its primary draw. To scoff at their interactions is ludicrous.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Tae posted:

I took a listen to their podcast, and one guy's whole conversation was that the battles are useless because they just give text makes me want to avoid it, cause that's some robot/data of Star Trek levels of analysis.
It was Kevin, wasn't it.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I knew Zack was going to get mad at Undertale but I wasn't expecting him to throw quite that much of a fit over it. That was pretty entertaining. Game owns though. Play Undertale.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 16, 2015

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

HMS Boromir posted:

I knew Zack was going to get mad at Undertale but I wasn't expecting him to throw quite that much of a fit over it. That was pretty entertaining. Game owns though. Play Undertale.

Well the two skeletons that you can kill don’t give you cool swords so it’s apropos that he didn’t like the game. :v:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Whenever there's a weird indie darling there's always an angry backlash that veers beyond "this game just isn't for me" and into "everyone is literally crazy but me."

I'd argue that extreme emotion is the hallmark of good art but some of the critics of the game feel like they have to be exceptionally direct and you don't really see that with any other game and I haven't even played the demo.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I was listening to...idle thumbs? This week, and they all hated Mario 64 and thus I don't think I can trust any of their opinions ever again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Solemn Sloth posted:

I was listening to...idle thumbs? This week, and they all hated Mario 64 and thus I don't think I can trust any of their opinions ever again

It's an understandable opinion, if you didn't play it at the time and your first exposure is the DS remake then it's more than likely you've played more evolved games since.

Personally, I think it's an alright game that I've never got more than halfway done with, I feel the exact same way with Super Mario World though and as with SM64 I didn't play that until a good decade after its release.

edit: But yeah, to say you "hate" any Super Mario game is just being a jerk.

(unless it's Paper Mario, that game is straight up dumb)

• Locked thread