Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steamed horse
Dec 4, 2004

Got everything working again after a restore. Loving forcy as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
:siren:There's currently an issue with the Pangu9 jailbreak with some phones getting caught in a boot loop. :siren:

Please consider not jailbreaking until it's figured out.

They currently think it's something to do with the unsafe reboots. It's being looked into. If it happens to your phone, put it into restore mode (Hold Power and Home buttons past the boot logo until your phone insists you plug it into iTunes), restore your phone, and you can re-jailbreak. Or just live with vanilla iOS 9.0.2 until whatever is causing it is figured out. The BootLoop shouldn't damage your phone in anywaay, besides requiring a restore. Also, since Apple may stop signing 9.0.2, you may want to leave your 9.0.2 intact until a much more stable Pangu9 is released.

https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/3owd3h/discussion_stability_of_pangus_ios_90x_untether/

You can follow this thread on reddit if you want to stay apprised of the situation.

Also SpotlightBeGone for all of your "spotlight is complete poo poo plz go away" needs.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 16, 2015

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

bobfather posted:

Minimal Hosts Blocker with the Hosts File Flipswitch.

Does this block youtube ads as well? I currently have adblocker 2, which does but it doesn't seem to block cydia or in-app ads.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

IncendiaC posted:

Does this block youtube ads as well? I currently have adblocker 2, which does but it doesn't seem to block cydia or in-app ads.

No, but if you care that much buy Cercube 2 when it gets updated and that will kill YouTube ads nicely.

Edit: Minimal Hosts Blocker kills lots, maybe even most or all in-app ads.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Anybody have an instagram enhancer that they like? I like the features of instagram ++ but I'm finding the ads to be intrusive and getting in the way of some functions.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Was stuck in a reboot loop after running the Pangu jailbreak so I manually upgraded after putting the phone into DFU. After a fresh jailbreak and sync, it's now working like a charm.

I'm really sad to hear that LockInfo won't be updated to iOS 9 – it's one of my most beloved tweaks, and one of the core reasons I JB in the first place.

Is there a Springboard element hider/changer that's iOS 9-ready or preferred? I used to use a combination of Springtomize and HideMe8 but didn't know if there were better alternatives. More than anything I'm looking to hide icon labels, tweak status bar icons, and get 5 icon columns, among other niceties.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

FreshFeesh posted:

Was stuck in a reboot loop after running the Pangu jailbreak so I manually upgraded after putting the phone into DFU. After a fresh jailbreak and sync, it's now working like a charm.

I'm really sad to hear that LockInfo won't be updated to iOS 9 – it's one of my most beloved tweaks, and one of the core reasons I JB in the first place.

Is there a Springboard element hider/changer that's iOS 9-ready or preferred? I used to use a combination of Springtomize and HideMe8 but didn't know if there were better alternatives. More than anything I'm looking to hide icon labels, tweak status bar icons, and get 5 icon columns, among other niceties.

I use Cloaky for status bar stuff, and betterFiveColumnHomescreen for the columns. OpenNotifier doesn't seem to be fully compatible yet, at least until libstatusbar is updated. I don't know the best one to hide icon labels.

I'm trying to use Legacy Switcher to bring back the iOS 8-style app switcher but it doesn't seem to work for me. I cannot stand the new style.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Very nice suggestions, thanks! Now to wait for some of my other old favorites to be updated for iOS 9 and then I'll really be in business.

I was pretty impressed with the transition from 7 to 8 and while 9 has had some hiccups, it looks like keeping my jailbreak has become pretty darn easy.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So what's up I have 9.0.2 via OTA should I jb now or wait or

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Word is the current exploit used in this jb is patched in 9.1. Most recommend doing a hard restore before jailbreaking, but you could always give it a try with the OTA.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

They always recommend against but a lot of people get by unscathed. Guess I'll do it for science

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I had to do a hard restore before mine worked, but it didn't take that long anyway.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I'm running iOS9 on my iPad 3 and it is painful to use now, everything is so slow! I even deleted everything and it's still poo poo. Can I revert back to older IOS, or will jailbreaking make it quicker? Never jailbroken a device before but seems like a last resort as apple doesn't seem to let us go back to old OS's from what I can gather.

Or will a jailbreak still be based on the slow ios9? Surely it's not stuck being an expensive, slow paperweight.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

With the boot loop issues making the rounds it is sounding like your best bet is to perform a full restore.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Ezrem posted:

With the boot loop issues making the rounds it is sounding like your best bet is to perform a full restore.

The boot loop bugs are an issue with the untether itself. Doesn’t matter if you’re OTA or not.

For what it’s worth, I flawlessly jailbroke 2 devices that had been OTA’ed to 9.0.2. I had lots of trouble with jailbreaking a device that had been restored to 9.0.2, but I eventually got it to work.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

simosimo posted:

I'm running iOS9 on my iPad 3 and it is painful to use now, everything is so slow! I even deleted everything and it's still poo poo. Can I revert back to older IOS, or will jailbreaking make it quicker? Never jailbroken a device before but seems like a last resort as apple doesn't seem to let us go back to old OS's from what I can gather.

Or will a jailbreak still be based on the slow ios9? Surely it's not stuck being an expensive, slow paperweight.

It will still be ios9. I haven't updated yet so I don't really know what's up with slowness. There are tweaks that make it feel faster when you jailbreak, like speed up the animations and transitions and stuff. They can make it feel much faster.

If you mean like you click an app then have to wait several seconds for it to open, or input lag or whatevs, not sure you can fix that.

Maybe backup your iPad and do a full restore? Or wait until newer versions of 9 come out that might fix the slowness. Often the major revision of iOS is slow and resource intensive, then gets smoothed out in minor releases.

Edit: no you can't go backwards

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a tweak to force 16:9 video from an iPad to take up the entire screen on a TV? When I connect my Air2 to my TV with the lightning to hdmi connector it shows widescreen video but it's surrounded by black borders.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ok I'll give it a shot then thanks!

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
How do you figure out what's making Cydia crash? I installed the essential upgrades when they came out, as well as updating a couple of other apps (can't remember which, though), several days ago. Everything was working fine up until yesterday morning and now Cydia keeps closing as soon as it loads. I can boot into safe mode and start uninstalling (or hopefully just downgrading) apps, but wonder if there's an easier way.

This is on the 8.4 jailbreak, by the way.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

ibntumart posted:

How do you figure out what's making Cydia crash? I installed the essential upgrades when they came out, as well as updating a couple of other apps (can't remember which, though), several days ago. Everything was working fine up until yesterday morning and now Cydia keeps closing as soon as it loads. I can boot into safe mode and start uninstalling (or hopefully just downgrading) apps, but wonder if there's an easier way.

Can you post the user-level apps you've installed? I've ran into quite a few conflicts this round, notably with CCSettings, NoSlowAnimations, and a couple others. There is also a Google docs spreadsheet listing compatible tweaks.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

ibntumart posted:

Install CrashReporter (in the BigBoss repo). It'll keep logs of your crashes and list possible suspects. Since you're on the 8.4 jailbreak still, most tweaks should be 100% compatible, unless it was one of the essential upgrades. If so, Maybe you'll be able to downgrade the tweaks if that is still possible through Cydia.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

ibntumart posted:

Having the same problem with Cydia now myself too. Started right after installing Anemone. I'm in 9.0.2 so the only tweaks I've installed are 5 icon dock, swipe selection, and anemone. How do I reboot in safe mode to try and get rid of Anemone?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
hold down the power and volume up button for safe mode

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Thanks! Was able to update Cydia and it's stable now. I tried to install Apex 2 but it says my version of iOS isn't supported and instead of install it just says 'Recheck'. I'm running 9.0.2... Any idea why it thinks it's not compatible? Everything I'm reading says it should be.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
Does anyone know of a tweak that lets you specify certain apps to always close fully? Sort of a reverse-backgrounder. I want the Facebook app to always close when I switch away with the home button or whatever.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Zephyr lets you close all apps by swiping down on the main screen in the multi tasker and you can specify which ones to not close on the settings . That's all I got

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I just switched to paper because the Facebook app is so bad.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I really don't see them as 1:1 apps and paper just doesn't feel like it fits my FB use case.

Then again I don't have any problems with the FB app and might be a weirdo.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Opioid posted:

Thanks! Was able to update Cydia and it's stable now. I tried to install Apex 2 but it says my version of iOS isn't supported and instead of install it just says 'Recheck'. I'm running 9.0.2... Any idea why it thinks it's not compatible? Everything I'm reading says it should be.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Poala Bear posted:

Install CrashReporter (in the BigBoss repo). It'll keep logs of your crashes and list possible suspects. Since you're on the 8.4 jailbreak still, most tweaks should be 100% compatible, unless it was one of the essential upgrades. If so, Maybe you'll be able to downgrade the tweaks if that is still possible through Cydia.

Thanks! Looks like AdBlocker2 is acting weird. Hopefully reinstalling or just removing it will do the trick. edit: Yup, that fixed it. Thanks again!

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 20, 2015

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Here goes: I have an old iPhone 4S that I'd like to jailbreak. It has iOS8.0 at the moment and from what I can tell I need 8.1 at least to be able to jailbreak. It obviously wants me to update to iOS9 so how to I go about getting a version of iOS installed that will enable me to jailbreak?

I hate to say it, but I'll probably need the complete dumbass newbie explanation for this one. Sorry.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Mr Scumbag posted:

Here goes: I have an old iPhone 4S that I'd like to jailbreak. It has iOS8.0 at the moment and from what I can tell I need 8.1 at least to be able to jailbreak. It obviously wants me to update to iOS9 so how to I go about getting a version of iOS installed that will enable me to jailbreak?

I hate to say it, but I'll probably need the complete dumbass newbie explanation for this one. Sorry.

There's a IOS 9 jailbreak now so problem solved

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Love these consistent surprise jailbreaks. Is it worth donating to them? Pangu? Or?

I'm backing up right now and going to jailbreak. Seems 9.1 is out? Hope they're still signing 9.0.2

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Love these consistent surprise jailbreaks. Is it worth donating to them? Pangu? Or?

Going off of the general understanding of the phrase "is it worth it" I'm going to say, no.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Well it took me a couple restarts and I didn't know about settings > profile thing to give pangu access when you have to open the app during the JB

Either way this is awesome and I'm not complaining. Hope my favorites work, specifically flux

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Man I haven't had a jailbroken iphone since forever ago. All I know is flux, are there any other things you guys recommend?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Zephyr and swipe select are a must

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Illlooklater is fantastic for preserving your battery life. CCSettings is pretty neat, and Anemone is winterboard but better. Minimal Hosts Blocker is a really lightweight device-wide adblock. Reveal Menu will give your 3D touch on older devices. Speed intensifier to speed up animations. SpotlightBeGone because spotlight is stupid.

Superslam is the best tweak though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

No because they get paid millions by dodgy Chinese app stores.

Mike-o posted:

Man I haven't had a jailbroken iphone since forever ago. All I know is flux, are there any other things you guys recommend?

-FakeClockUp sounds the same as Speed intensifier but whichever is better, they're definitely worth trying out. You never realised how slow the animations in IOS can be.
-BerryC8 lets you launch up to 6 apps from the lock screen.
-Zeppelin lets you hide the drat carrier name.
-I'm still looking for something to let you clear notifications with a single press that works on IOS9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

~Coxy posted:

-FakeClockUp sounds the same as Speed intensifier but whichever is better, they're definitely worth trying out. You never realised how slow the animations in IOS can be.
-BerryC8 lets you launch up to 6 apps from the lock screen.
-Zeppelin lets you hide the drat carrier name.
-I'm still looking for something to let you clear notifications with a single press that works on IOS9.

I can't seem to find FakeClockUp, is it in it's own repository? I used to use noslowanimations but last I checked it didn't work on iOS9.

Also, what are people using for a 5 icon dock on 9? I used to use betterfiveicondock from RedPanda but I don't they've updated it yet.

• Locked thread