Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
that doesn't fix the issue http://pxlnv.com/linklog/facebook-background-data/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Apparently it's not an universal issue; Facebook only accounts for 1% of my battery usage.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Do you guys experience the same thing if you use Paper instead?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does anyone else have this issue where if you swipe to the search screen all the way to the left that it won't register swipes to go back to the right?

Yes. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to it either.

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette
Sorry if this has been asked already, I went back a few pages and didn't see anyone talking about this.
What's the current best ad blocker for ios9? I wanted one that would block ads on youtube as well, ads on there are getting pretty out of control.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
^ someone suggested 1Blocker and I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Why are my Verizon voice mails showing up as garbled text Messages? I swapped my Verizon SIM from an Android device if that matters.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 16, 2015

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Seconding 1blocker.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

^ someone suggested 1Blocker and I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Why are my Verizon voice mails showing up as garbled text Messages? I swapped my Verizon SIM from an Android device if that matters.

I've been pushing 1Blocker in this thread since day one. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I haven't given them money or anything even though those stupid social share widgets grind my gears.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Kazy posted:

Apparently it's not an universal issue; Facebook only accounts for 1% of my battery usage.

Do you manually close the app when you're done? I was having massive battery issues with Facebook (like 10 minutes on screen and 10 hours in the background).

I found by closing the app afterwards it has limited the issue.

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette
Im digging 1blocker thanks for the help, is there anyway to have it block ads on apps outside of Safari as well?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Victorian Gentleman posted:

Im digging 1blocker thanks for the help, is there anyway to have it block ads on apps outside of Safari as well?

No. That's currently disabled by Apple as a security concern.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

How come when I hit the voicemail icon in the phone, it calls my voicemail instead of giving me visual voicemail? iPhone 6s on T-Mobile

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Tiny Lowtax posted:

How come when I hit the voicemail icon in the phone, it calls my voicemail instead of giving me visual voicemail? iPhone 6s on T-Mobile

Visual voicemail has to be activated at the carrier level

Call Tmo

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Are you on wifi? It never seems to work for me unless I'm on cell.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Because you're not provisioned for iOS visual voicemail. The Android VVM app uses those goofy looking SMS messages to notify your phone you've got a new voicemail.

I've found the easiest way to straighten this out is to go onto your account and turn Advanced Calling off and then back on. Doing that will cause your voicemail to get re-provisioned for iOS.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

kitten smoothie posted:

Because you're not provisioned for iOS visual voicemail. The Android VVM app uses those goofy looking SMS messages to notify your phone you've got a new voicemail.

I've found the easiest way to straighten this out is to go onto your account and turn Advanced Calling off and then back on. Doing that will cause your voicemail to get re-provisioned for iOS.

Thanks. Does Advanced Calling need to be fully activated before I try disabling it again? It looks like might have some old features on the account that are preventing it from activating, not sure where those are located. Also, let me know if this issue should be taken to the Verizon thread instead.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
After using Wifi calling on AT&T for the last week or so, I've shut it off.

It was too buggy for me. It would constantly switch while mid-call which would cause a 3-4 silence and I was missing critical part of sentences.

Oh well, I'll try again in a few months, maybe it'll be better by then.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Alright, since I am having a hell of a hard time finding something like this, and i don't really know where to ask, i'll ask here.

I have the thule X3 case for my iphone, and the audio jack hole is pretty narrow, so I am trying to find an adapter like this: http://amzn.com/B00ZK43S4Q but with only 2 rings instead of 3.

I found and ordered this one: http://amzn.com/B00LWV7PEA but it ended up being too wide still. It is the only 2 ring one that I can seem to find that isn't 4 feet long (And even then, the one that is 4' long looks like it may be a bit too wide as well.

I need the adapter for my car cassette player adapter, which is way too big for the case audio port hole.

Anyone run into trouble like this? Are there any 2 ring adapters that are like that 3 ring adapter I linked above, where it is actually really narrow near the plug? Or maybe a cassette player adapter that has a narrow enough end?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Skwee posted:

Alright, since I am having a hell of a hard time finding something like this, and i don't really know where to ask, i'll ask here.

I have the thule X3 case for my iphone, and the audio jack hole is pretty narrow, so I am trying to find an adapter like this: http://amzn.com/B00ZK43S4Q but with only 2 rings instead of 3.

I found and ordered this one: http://amzn.com/B00LWV7PEA but it ended up being too wide still. It is the only 2 ring one that I can seem to find that isn't 4 feet long (And even then, the one that is 4' long looks like it may be a bit too wide as well.

I need the adapter for my car cassette player adapter, which is way too big for the case audio port hole.

Anyone run into trouble like this? Are there any 2 ring adapters that are like that 3 ring adapter I linked above, where it is actually really narrow near the plug? Or maybe a cassette player adapter that has a narrow enough end?

Is it an option to just drill the whole slightly wider?

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

tuyop posted:

Is it an option to just drill the whole slightly wider?

I don't have a drill

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Skwee posted:

I don't have a drill

You may have friends with tools. Or you could buy a tool.

But yeah, I don't know the measurements of 3.5mm jack extender plugs. You could also just use a steak knife or nail file or brick wall to file down the edges of the ones you already bought I guess?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

tuyop posted:

But yeah, I don't know the measurements of 3.5mm jack extender plugs. You could also just use a steak knife or nail file or brick wall to file down the edges of the ones you already bought I guess?

That's what I did back on an iPhone 5 case, used an exacto knife and it worked just fine.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Swapped my 6S with a faulty backlight for a new one at the Genius Bar. Got a TSMC one this time. I know it's probably the placebo effect, but I do seem to get better battery life in the couple of days I've had this new one.

Also liking the Apple (black) leather case. I hate the feel of the rubber and plastic cases, but this one feels nice.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Gunder posted:

Swapped my 6S with a faulty backlight for a new one at the Genius Bar. Got a TSMC one this time. I know it's probably the placebo effect, but I do seem to get better battery life in the couple of days I've had this new one.
Your brain is literally broken.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/12/controlled-testing-samsung-tsmc-a9/

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

tuyop posted:

You may have friends with tools. Or you could buy a tool.

Ah, yeah. I took an xacto to the cassette jack and now it fits. Guess I can return these adapters now. Can't believe I didn't think of that...

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Skwee posted:

I don't have a drill

this is the funniest thing i've read today

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

noirstronaut posted:

this is the funniest thing i've read today

Why's that? I live in an apartment, and i'm not building anything. No need for a drill at all.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Skwee posted:

Why's that? I live in an apartment, and i'm not building anything. No need for a drill at all.

Apparently there is....

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Suqit posted:

Apparently there is....

I wouldn't have done that suggestion even if I had a drill. Already fixed the issue by shaving off a bit of the outer part of the jack instead of messing with my case.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
The iPhone Thread : Do you own a power drill?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I live in an apartment and own multiple power tools.

Sometimes you just need to drill things, man.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
My memory is kinda hazy but wasn't there some sort of issue with the headphone jacks on the new iPhones?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Jose Oquendo posted:

My memory is kinda hazy but wasn't there some sort of issue with the headphone jacks on the new iPhones?
Yeah, Jackgate.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

It's the biggest scandal since Chipgate.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Skwee posted:

does it have to be 2 ring? if you plug a two ring headset into that it should still work properly I think

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It's the biggest scandal since Chipgate.

it really is a problem though. I couldn't use a new headset I bought because when I put it in my pocket the jack would jiggle and trigger voice control. thread on apple support re: that problem on the iphone 6 is pretty huge

e: http://thewirecutter.com/2015/03/a-word-on-the-iphone-6-iphone-6-plus-and-third-party-headphones/
e2: lmao the headset I was referring to now has an o-ring spacer accessory now: http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_O_Ring_Spacers_p/ep-oring-mee.htm

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 17, 2015

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Is there a way to call someone by just typing their name in the dialer? I hate having to scroll through my contacts and miss that feature from android. Unless you can do it and I just don't know how.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Is there a way to call someone by just typing their name in the dialer? I hate having to scroll through my contacts and miss that feature from android. Unless you can do it and I just don't know how.

I don't think you can do this in the dialer, but you can do this in the home screen search by pulling down to expose the search bar, then just start typing their names. You'll get shortcuts to phoning or texting them.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Gunder posted:

I don't think you can do this in the dialer, but you can do this in the home screen search by pulling down to expose the search bar, then just start typing their names. You'll get shortcuts to phoning or texting them.

Or in contacts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Gunder posted:

Sweet, that works! Still trying to figure out this iPhone thing. I've had android since it first came around.